World misconceptions that are difficult to shift.

ljósmóður

For some reason I just can't help but picture Lopen as a total stud: rock solid abs, perfect pecs, bulging biceps (er um I mean bicep), flowing, beautiful locks of golden hair and a Zoro-like mustache. And for some reason all he wears is a banana hammock. Mmm ;)

....well now that's going to be stuck in my head. Hahaha

I subconsciously imagine some book characters as characters from anime. Disregarding character descriptions makes me feel like a poor reader, it's embarrassing.

Shallan

Now that her description sank in, I pretty much imagine Shallan like on this illustration:

AhrRgAM.png

However, at first I imagined her as this character from a volume of The Twelve Kingdoms unpublished in the US:

Tonan_no_tsubasa_shinchosha_edition.png%E5%9B%B3%E5%8D%97%E3%81%AE%E7%BF%BC_%E5

Why? Because her name is... similar (Shushou), they both travel and they're both bratty.

Wit

200px-Wit.jpg

Because I knew about Hoid's wiki page before I started reading The Stormlight Archive. *shrug*

Adolin

OzQOJXQ.png

Sometimes the way I imagine Adolin is inspired by Char Aznable from the original Mobile Suit Gundam, because both are very dignified, blonde, good at the sword, and Char's mask reminds me of a helm. Huh.

Lift

tumblr_nekx4eJZ621sqqtwzo1_500.pngtumblr_n9tkbp3OFv1rm7acxo1_500.gif

Cute, energetic kids. Single-episode character from Space Dandy.

Jasnah

SUxWC12.png

I... don't know how this happened. Sorry. Also a single-episode character from Space Dandy.

Okay, a last one, though there are others. This one is good.

Ladies and gentlemen, KELSIER.

331692.jpg

Yes, this is a Japanese schoolgirl.

This is the avatar of the guy who introduced me to Mistborn. His name is Kuiper. Kuiper, Kelsier. Close enough.

Lol well as a male who is attracted to women I can't say I find Tom to be a pretty boy but I think I get what you mean. To me it was the sort of mischevious yet intelligent and somewhat condescending attitude that I think Wit has and could see Tom portraying well. Also Wit's description of having sharp features to me kinda matches what Tom looks like IMO. Just my take!

That's funny, I see him the exact same way from the beginning too! (which is quite surprising as don't especially like the actor). As you say, it is mostly the condescension of the character that gave me this impression, I even hear his voice in my head when I read Hoid's lines ^^''

(and I join the club of those who picture Dalinar as very attractive, in a "rough-not-pretty-but charismatic way"  :ph34r: )

Edited by Moonskin

That's funny, I see him the exact same way from the beginning too! (which is quite surprising as don't especially like the actor). As you say, it is mostly the condescension of the character that gave me this impression, I even hear his voice in my head when I read Hoid's lines ^^''

(and I join the club of those who picture Dalinar as very attractive, in a "rough-not-pretty-but charismatic way"  :ph34r: )

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who pictured Wit this way! And even though I'm a guy I must say I find it hard not to picture Dalinar as being ruggedly good looking with scars and a somewhat aging face...more like he's attractive in a badass sort of way if that makes sense lol.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who pictured Wit this way! And even though I'm a guy I must say I find it hard not to picture Dalinar as being ruggedly good looking with scars and a somewhat aging face...more like he's attractive in a badass sort of way if that makes sense lol.

I picture Dalinar as the ugly duckling of the family, the poor one who inherited all of the least flattering features of his family while Galivar was handsome. Though by ugly, I do not mean disfigured, but let's settle on "not attractive" and "not charismatic", though being a warrior, the scars must have added to his aura.

I picture his late wife as being very pretty though.... 

I picture Dalinar as the ugly duckling of the family, the poor one who inherited all of the least flattering features of his family while Galivar was handsome. Though by ugly, I do not mean disfigured, but let's settle on "not attractive" and "not charismatic", though being a warrior, the scars must have added to his aura.

I picture his late wife as being very pretty though....

Well I believe your image of him is pretty much what Sanderson intended! I feel like I need a picture that fits him to get a good image of him in my head.

It feels like I'm going to confession...

Rock has ALWAYS had a thick russian accent. Very thick. Anyvon who say othervise is Airseecklowlandur.

Marsh has hair that had gone prematurely gray. He has silver hair, with hints of it's original darker color.

Vasher looks kinda similar to Aragorn, but more ripped and harder facial features. More unkept, ragged, and angry.

I could never imagine the Lord Ruler as young. He was always late forties, stern and cold.

The purelakers are hawaiian/polynesian and they wear rice hats. 

Mistwraiths make a shlurping sound as they move along. Schlurpershmurmfplesclerfashurmp...

(I know this is in the SA thread, but I had to get the non SA one off my chest)

- The Shins are black. (*Facepalm again*)

I knew I couldn't be the only one. And I think Szeth looks cooler black

I always thought the Herdazians were Latinos... . With all the cousins. My mom acts like Lopens too!!!!

Yes! This is probably my biggest one.

Being half hispanic, I instantly recognized Lopen as hispanic, or at least the cosmere equivalent. Outgoing, talkative, loves food, loads of cousins, frightening mothers who make you eat lots of food, it's me and my family. And I believe it's actually been confirmed that Herdazians are based off of hispanic peoples. I personally see them as puerto rican, since there is no set puerto rican look. Some look black, some look white, some just look puerto rican. 

Lopen is definitely a homie.

Edited by Fatebreaker

The thing that depresses me when I read about all of these visual misconceptions is that I'm really not a visual reader. I'm not sure what other people picture in their heads when they read, but for me it's all very vague, if it happens at all. I usually just follow the story, not really getting a clear picture of anything.

Well I believe your image of him is pretty much what Sanderson intended! I feel like I need a picture that fits him to get a good image of him in my head.

Yeah well Shallan did state his face was a tap unfortunate....  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: And I believe it is stated at another occasion that nobody had ever called Dalinar Kohlin a handsome man, whereas Elhokar is considered very handsome and to be the perfect picture of his father.

I wonder if Renarin is handsome or not... I mean, Adolin is handsome, Dalinar is not... Someone is bound to have inherit daddy's least pleasant features....  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Vasher looks kinda similar to Aragorn, but more ripped and harder facial features. More unkept, ragged, and angry.

Good one. I love your imagery. I did not have anything precise for Vasher/Zahel, but I think this one works well for me.

When I first read Way of Kings (way back 2011 before I was even a member here), I never saw the characters as Asiatic in appearance. I didn't realize that I was supposed too at the time, though, I can't say I saw them as European either (neither or, probably closer to Middle Eastern, believe it or not!) So, when I found out I was totally wrong, oh well. The only character who I pictured someone accurately back then was Shallan, I always see her as looking kind of like a Hungarian or Slavic ginger...;P

I see Nalthians (especially the Hallandren) as Greek-ish in appearance; like, with thick, curly/wavy hair, hooded eyes, prominent noses and cheekbones, that kind of thing. I don't think this was how I was supposed to see them that way, but unfortunately, the image is there to stay...So, yeah, Vasher has dark, wavy hair in my mind...hehe.

To be honest, nothing will ever dissuade me (or the rest of the tumblr cosmere fandom, apparently) that the Highprince of Dads i mean dalinar is hot dad. It's like, every time Brandon goes out of his way to say that "no one could mistake Dalinar Kholin for being handsome" I'm just all, "guys how hot is dadinar though."

Dadinar, Highprince of Dads, hottest dad forever. <3

I only remember Shallan thinking that (but it's been awhile since I've read the books...). Whether or not  Navani agrees is another issue entirely (I think she'd say he's a "hot dad" too, lol). Dalinar isn't Shallan's type. Dalinar is like fifty-something. I'd be weirded out, a little, if Shallan found him attracted (despite that she's an artist, and aesthetics is her thing..., different artists find different things aesthetically pleasing!). So, going on this, I think I'll go with my theory that he is handsomer than Shallan's own opinion of him. Hot dad all the way. :D

When I first read Way of Kings (way back 2011 before I was even a member here), I never saw the characters as Asiatic in appearance. I didn't realize that I was supposed too at the time, though, I can't say I saw them as European either (neither or, probably closer to Middle Eastern, believe it or not!) So, when I found out I was totally wrong, oh well. The only character who I pictured someone accurately back then was Shallan, I always see her as looking kind of like a Hungarian or Slavic ginger...;P

Well, to be fair, he did not say they were pure Asians. He said they would be a mix between multiples ethnicity and as far as mixed ethnicity inter-breeding goes: it can swing madly. I have friends whom are Egyptian and Chinese with two children: one looks white (you would not never be able to tell her parents ethnicity) with no Chinese features whatsoever and the other one looks more Chinese, though not completely (you would say she has some Asian blood into her, though not from where specifically). Besides, Asians is a rather large term which comprises many different physical appearances depending in which country you are... 

I have thus concluded that, when it comes to Alethi, pretty much any works as long as you keep almond shaped eyes and a slight tan, so whatever pleases you personal imagery, go for it. I personally tend to picture the darkeyes as looking more "pure Alethi" as opposed to the ligheyes whose bloodlines have been severely mixed throughout the generations.

Oh and I picture Shshshsh as a white with long golden hair... Same with Shallan, though her eyes have the slight almond shape. It thus makes both Adolin and Renarin heavily mixed blood: Adolin takes more after his mother than his brother, so it reflects. It also explains why every single characters we meet in book feel compelled to comment on his appearance.

Szeth is small with milky white skin and large eyes. Oh and he is bald. Is he bald in book? Because I see him as such.

I only remember Shallan thinking that (but it's been awhile since I've read the books...). Whether or not  Navani agrees is another issue entirely (I think she'd say he's a "hot dad" too, lol). Dalinar isn't Shallan's type. Dalinar is like fifty-something. I'd be weirded out, a little, if Shallan found him attracted (despite that she's an artist, and aesthetics is her thing..., different artists find different things aesthetically pleasing!). So, going on this, I think I'll go with my theory that he is handsomer than Shallan's own opinion of him. Hot dad all the way. :D

Well, if I recall properly, she glances at Adolin and comments on how handsome he is before turning to Dalinar whom isn't. We also have other commentary from other characters about Dalinar not being handsome, so it is not just Shallan.

It feels like I'm going to confession...

Rock has ALWAYS had a thick russian accent. Very thick. Anyvon who say othervise is Airseecklowlandur.

As someone who reads these books aloud to people a lot, I will confess that I always give Rock a Russian accent.

I wonder if Renarin is handsome or not... I mean, Adolin is handsome, Dalinar is not... Someone is bound to have inherit daddy's least pleasant features....

Renarin is adorably handsome and I will FIGHT anyone who says otherwise. Even BRANDON.

As someone who reads these books aloud to people a lot, I will confess that I always give Rock a Russian accent.

Renarin is adorably handsome and I will FIGHT anyone who says otherwise. Even BRANDON.

I always have the impression that if Renarin takes off his glasses, he will be intoxicatingly handsome, just like his brother, and then wow the Alethi court :P (Well, that happens a lot in anime...)

Renarin - Milo from Atlantis: The Lost Empire but with dark, longer hair

I'm with apepi on Szeth looking like Aang and Adolin being a mini Arthas

Still having a hard time picturing Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamo as a Celt but more of blend between Native American and Celt

The Shin remind me of the Chrome Dome Empire from the anime Bobobobo Bobobo, yet malevolently nicer

Whenever I think of chasmfiends, I think of giant shelled squids/octopi instead of carapaced scorpion/centipede hybrid thing o.O

LOL. I thought of you when I wrote it. The lack of physical descriptive for Renarin is baffling... I have a hard time making myself an image of him.

I tend to see him being as tall as his brother, as I see no reason why he should be physically shorter. Dalinar is a very tall man, Adolin is nearly as tall, Renarin is bound to be close to them. His mostly black with a few golden hair are locks, which is pretty much the only thing Brandon has canonized when it comes to Renarin. I see him as rather thin, though, without much when it comes to physical built due to his lack pf physical exertion. As for his facial features, I have no idea really... except I picture as looking like the Kohlin's men (Galivar, Elhokar, Dalinar) whereas Adolin definitely looks like his mother. His eyes are blue, like his father and brother. I tend to see Dalinar and Renarin eyes as very bright vivid blue, whereas Adolin are very light blue. I dunno if this breaks canon, but that's pretty much the imagery I have.

The problem is Dalinar, really... What features does he have that makes him so not handsome? Too square face? Too big nose? Too large ears? Apart from his facial features, I picture Dalinar as very imposing physically... Tall and large with very thick shoulders, whereas I see Adolin has more athletic (with a set of abs to die for but this is beyond the point :ph34r:) . In other words, I see Dalinar as built for brute strength whereas I see Adolin has built for speed and agility.

I also have to say, when it comes to characters physical description, one of my favorite is Relis, with his face flat as if he wear hit by a shovel...  :ph34r:

I see him as rather thin, though, without much when it comes to physical built due to his lack pf physical exertion.

Speaking as someone who's sister has epilepsy, It's also likely that his condition would contribute significantly to his build. (making him quite thin) 

Speaking as someone who's sister has epilepsy, It's also likely that his condition would contribute significantly to his build. (making him quite thin) 

Is there a correlation between epilepsy and physical built? 

The Seizures that are common with epilepsy burn a TON of calories, usually without much muscle gain, although we don't have much info as to the severity of Renarin's condition.

Edit: clarity

Edited by Emerald101

The Seizures that are common with epilepsy burn a TON of calories, usually without much muscle gain, although we don't have much info as to the severity of Renarin's condition.

Edit: clarity

Oh thanks. I did not know that. I read on the Internet autism is often paired with a certain lack of physical coordination which would explain Renarin's difficulties in mastering his Plate. 

It is a good point you make.

The chapter titled "Ideals" in WOR, Kaladin gets to guard a Kholin family meeting from inside the room.

"Kaladin wasn't sure what to make of Renarin. The youth- he might be older than Kaladin, but sure didn't look it- wore spectacles and walked after his brother like a shadow. Those slender limbs and dicate fingers had never known battle or real work".

If Ren has slender limbs, than he's probably slender all over. Even if he later explains that he does not get violent seisures, he just gets half- paralyzed and starts twitching (that's what he tells Kal when asking to join bridge four).

In his introduction in WOK, when the Kholins go chasm-fiend hunting, Ren is described from Adolin's POV "As usual, the younger Kholin rode with a straight back and perfect posture, eyes hidden behind his spectacles, a model of propriety and solemnity"

It is my head- canon that Renarin loves to ride and is an excellent horseman. He is probably not at all bad-looking, objectively, he just doesn't fit the Alethi idiom of "what a man should be".

The chapter titled "Ideals" in WOR, Kaladin gets to guard a Kholin family meeting from inside the room.
"Kaladin wasn't sure what to make of Renarin. The youth- he might be older than Kaladin, but sure didn't look it- wore spectacles and walked after his brother like a shadow. Those slender limbs and dicate fingers had never known battle or real work".
If Ren has slender limbs, than he's probably slender all over. Even if he later explains that he does not get violent seisures, he just gets half- paralyzed and starts twitching (that's what he tells Kal when asking to join bridge four).

In his introduction in WOK, when the Kholins go chasm-fiend hunting, Ren is described from Adolin's POV "As usual, the younger Kholin rode with a straight back and perfect posture, eyes hidden behind his spectacles, a model of propriety and solemnity"

It is my head- canon that Renarin loves to ride and is an excellent horseman. He is probably not at all bad-looking, objectively, he just doesn't fit the Alethi idiom of "what a man should be".

I agree Renarin probably is an excellent horseman: I have retained the same quote as well. As for the other one, I have kept it in consideration in my assessment of his lack of physical built. Imo, he probably does not fit, physically speaking, the Alethi standard which must favorised more athletic men such as Adolin, though in his case, it did not translate in many marriage offers....

I was more concerned about his facial features from which we do not know much of.