World misconceptions that are difficult to shift.

ljósmóður

10 hours ago, CalypsoDreaming said:

On the subject of names, correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that Kelsier should theoretically be pronounced Kel-see-eh instead of Kel-see-er, and that's just weird, so I promptly ignore it. Also, I originally read Jasnah with a J sound, but now I think the Y sound on the J sounds better. 

I've listened to the audiobooks a few times and just....the names....they're weird....

How are you supposed to say it? I say Ro-shar (sorry, I'm horrible at phonetics but Ro (as in row) and Shar as in Charlotte). Who knows if that's right or not, but it's right to me!

also, for me, spheres are not round, but have pointed spikes coming out from all over, kind of like a star shape...weird right, for something called a sphere

Apparently a lot of names in Mistborn are based on French names, so yeah, that would be correct for Kelsier. I don't read it that way, though, I pronounce it like you do.  Vin is often pronounced "Veen" by a lot of people, though I pronounce it like pin (but with the V).

jW

11 hours ago, CalypsoDreaming said:

On the subject of names, correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that Kelsier should theoretically be pronounced Kel-see-eh instead of Kel-see-er, and that's just weird, so I promptly ignore it. Also, I originally read Jasnah with a J sound, but now I think the Y sound on the J sounds better. 

I've listened to the audiobooks a few times and just....the names....they're weird....

How are you supposed to say it? I say Ro-shar (sorry, I'm horrible at phonetics but Ro (as in row) and Shar as in Charlotte). Who knows if that's right or not, but it's right to me!

also, for me, spheres are not round, but have pointed spikes coming out from all over, kind of like a star shape...weird right, for something called a sphere

That is how you say it, with a long o. I pronounced it with a short o, like in pop, raw-shar. 

2 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Apparently a lot of names in Mistborn are based on French names, so yeah, that would be correct for Kelsier. I don't read it that way, though, I pronounce it like you do.  Vin is often pronounced "Veen" by a lot of people, though I pronounce it like pin (but with the V).

jW

Someone once told me Vin is originally pronounced like 'Vaah' 

That's just wrong. I pronounce it like 'vin'

After I found out about Roshar names and the "J" being pronounced "Y" my headcanon is that everything is pronounced how it would be in Polish ^_^

I mean, I open a book and there's this character whose name is almost a word in my language. For those curious, it's Jasnah - "jasna" means "bright". When people go around and call each other by "brightness" or "brightlord" and the like, it's like it was screaming at me to pronounce things in my language :D

4 hours ago, I_am_a_Stick said:

Someone once told me Vin is originally pronounced like 'Vaah' 

That's just wrong. I pronounce it like 'vin'

Yeah same.

I always assumed that the accents in Mistborn, SA, and Elantris are in vaguely-British accents, from the way it's written. You guys?

This discussion about pronunciations is interesting.

I guess it sounds like Brandon wouldn't be directly supportive of such a thing, but is there no unofficial list of common pronunciations? I'd prefer to pronounce things the same way as other people, so that if I ever have a discussion with someone or hear Brandon speak then I'm not completely lost or bothered.

I, for one, would be happy to put in some work on a pronunciation guide, assuming Brandon isn't outright opposed to such a thing. It would have to find a good balance between common/popular usage versus proper in-world usage, I think. For example, I would expect to see Jasnah with a soft "J" (i.e. "Y") but then Elantris with "eh-LON" rather than "EE-LAYN".

On 8/26/2016 at 4:29 PM, Carcinios said:

Another one I have just remembered. I always think of Wit as looking like Jack the foolamancer from the Erfworld webcomic.

I should probably be a good moderator and remind people that thread necromancy (especially threads almost a year old) is frowned upon, but that comparison between Wit and Jack is a little too perfect. That said, I think in universe, Wit himself would probably be a Carnymancer. Maybe a Signamancy special?

Thread Croakamancy is still not good though.

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2015 at 6:34 PM, Kurkistan said:

I regret to inform you that you are "correct" about Syl: she is quite consistently described as blue within the books.

Pale shades of blue can be very similar to white however - "Alice Blue" for example is a shade of blue that is almost white

• Chaos locked this topic