Music

So I've seen the "What Are You Listening To" thread, and that's cool, but I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we just talked music. Like what our favorite artists and genres are, what instruments we play, that sort of thing. Because music is one of the best things in the universe and we don't already talk about it enough. :

I know like nothing about musical theory and that sort of thing, so I'll just mention a bit about my musical taste and talent and let y'all have at it.

I can play like two hymns on the piano, but I would someday like to be able to play proficiently. Also the cello, because cellos are cool.

Personally I prefer rock and pop, with a bit of classical on the side, but I am open to really any genre as long as it's done well (though, since art is entirely and completely subjective, "well" might be defined differently for other people).

My favorite band is Collective Soul (seriously they're the absolute best, in my humble opinion), with Imagine Dragons and Coldplay coming in pretty close. 

And Vivaldi's Four Seasons is best thing. :D

Music has been one of my study focuses, so I am naturally into just about everything by now. A primary thing I've been working on is a book detailing a history that connects the San Francisco Sound directly to more current movements, particularly those in California. I wanted to do a book on Grunge, but there is no need to since the perfect book has been released on the subject and I feel it could not be done any better. Everybody Loves Our Town is one of my favorite books.

As far as my favorite genre goes, it's a toss-up between Jazz and metal. It's really hard to decide, so I have chosen to not decide. They're tied for first with folk as the runner-up. I'm also a big fan of stoner rock and the prog rock of the 70's.

My permanent favorite band is Tool. I don't think that will ever change. It's been that way for half my life now, though I have exposed myself to as much music as possible to see if there was anyone I liked more. So far, I have found none, but I have found many other amazing artists along the way. I have actually found it really difficult to mot like an artist in the last few years.

I recently began practicing the guitar, and I do it for two hours everyday, plus in between breaks in writing (which I do for 10 hours a day, so it's nice to get a couple half-hour breaks in.)

I actively listen to rock and metal, but I enjoy just about everything other than country and rap*. I do my best to own at least one CD from every genre, but my CD case is heavily in favor of metal (Yes, I do still use CDs). If I had to discribe major events in my music listening career, I'd have to bring up 3 major points.

1) My mother. Her influence got me into rock back when I was but a wee lad. I remember way back in elementary school, sitting in the parking lot before class starts, listening to Tool, System of a Down, Evanescence and others. It wasn't all heavy, though, as we also listened to the local rock station, which wound up introducing me to '90s and 2000's poppier rock. This includes Yellowcard, Cauterize, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, etc.

2) Discovery of Coheed and Cambria. Thanks to the local radio station, I was introduced to Coheed long before they hit the track list of Rock Band. The first song I heard from them, though, was still Welcome Home. It changed my life. I had never heard something so good before, and it blew me away. I quickly found that Welcome Home was on their third album, grabbed all three, and Coheed has been my favorite band since. They have, quite honestly, not produced a single song I dislike (and that includes the album Year of the Black Rainbow).

3) Discovery of Nightwish. I was introduced to Nightwish thanks to a friend who saw the music video on the television station fUSE. Though currently the station has been too heavily influenced by MTV, back in the day the station showed a LOT of metal music videos. Anyways, the friend shared a single track with me, I Wish I Had An Angel. I was blown away, and quickly fell down the rabbit hole of the Symphonic Metal genre. This led me to not only appreciate all of Nightwish, but also Epica, Leave's Eye, Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, After Forever, and many more. Kamelot then led me to power metal bands such as Blind Guardian, Falconer, and Symphony X.

I should probably also mention my love of video game music (particularly orchestrated versions).

*I actually do enjoy some rap, and my biggest complaint with the genre is the subject matter, not the music itself.

*I actually do enjoy some rap, and my biggest complaint with the genre is the subject matter, not the music itself.

I'm guessing you're referring to the heavy political themes and the extreme expressions of self-reflection. It's not for everyone, but I love it. 

My favorite things about rap are the things I noticed people don't like, actually. Politics and self-reflection. That, and the culture among the people who are involved in rap. I grew up exposed to the rap culture and always loved it. Free-styling rap lyrics (and the same people generally performed spoken-word, break-dancing, and guitar-playing.) I love and admire the people I grew up with.

Like I said, it's not for everyone, but I love it.

Discovery of Coheed and Cambria.

I love Coheed & Cambria. They make it so hard to not listen to the entire story every time, because the whole thing is just so damnation good. Black Rainbow is really good. The ending to Good Apollo is so sad, and they did it again in Black Rainbow. It's so sad, but so good. Recently, I've taken to listening to the albums in order of events, and it's comes together so nicely. 

If you like Nightwish, I would suggest checking in on the symphonic metal scene if you haven't already, there's lots of other great bands in that vein.

Edited by Nait Sabes