If David becomes an Epic

WayneSpren

Dawnslight is in a coma.  Did he go on a Rending?  Turn all his fruit poisonous?  No.  In fact, there are no children epics.  And I suspect its because, like dawnslight, children are innocent and pure, and have no bad thoughts to be amplified to murder spree level to begin with.   Dawnslight is an adult, but his mind never matured past childhood, leaving him rend free.  I'm pretty sure the epic powers are basically your average double edged sword.  dawnslight just got his with bumpers.

Dawnslight is in a coma.  Did he go on a Rending?  Turn all his fruit poisonous?  No.  In fact, there are no children epics.  And I suspect its because, like dawnslight, children are innocent and pure, and have no bad thoughts to be amplified to murder spree level to begin with.   Dawnslight is an adult, but his mind never matured past childhood, leaving him rend free.  I'm pretty sure the epic powers are basically your average double edged sword.  dawnslight just got his with bumpers.

But it isn't "bad thoughts" that make people Epics; it's fears rooted in past trauma. A child is just as likely as an adult (sadly enough :unsure:) to have some sort of trauma in their past or present that makes them eligible for Epic status. We don't know hardly anything about Calamity's motives or modus operandi at this point, but until we have that pinned down for certain in Calamity, I'm going to say that, based on what we know so far, child Epics are entirely possible. 

That's one interpretation, the other is that by facing his fear before actually receiving the power he just didn't receive it. Which given that as of the opening of Calamity he still hasn't used any powers makes a bit more sense, plus again the whole getting gifted to thing.

It wouldn't surprise me if David really did end up with powers, and just doesn't realize it. That would explain why he doesn't use his powers when they could be helpful. It also *SPOILERS FOR THE EXCERPT* explains the prologue given in the Calamity excerpt.

Or Obliteration.

* crosses fingers *

The shortness of the prologue could be to hide the absence of bad similes. After all, how long could David really wax eloquent about "the depths" without drawing some terrible comparison between losing control and having a whale dropped on his head….somehow….even though there aren't any whales in Babilar….sigh….he's really bad at this. :ph34r: 

• 1 month later...

I bet it is David. Yes, it's short, yes, it's lacking in bad similes, but David's fear was the depths. And he did push back (not accept) the powers. But facing your fear once doesn't totally conquer it.

Which might mean that David is one panicked state away from Rending. Or something.

• Chaos locked this topic