If David becomes an Epic

WayneSpren

If David gets Rended in Calamity, (or if his rending actually took permanent effect in Firefight), what powers/weaknesses would he have?

Would he have water powers, with a fear of sharks? (As in Firefight)

Would his weakness be a fear of murdering innocents? (His thoughts of killing Sourcefield after she turns normal)

Will he have a cliché of not wanting his frends to die?

Or will it involve his incredibly bad metaphors?

Post your ideas about his powers/weaknesses below.

Edited by WayneSpren

I find it more interesting to imagine what Mizzy would be like as an Epic. Throughout Firefight she demonstrates a fear of of disappointing her comrades-at-arms; could this somehow work its way into becoming her weakness?

m50mn.jpg

I agree that would be an interesting weakness….but I don't know if seeing evil!Mizzy is worth it. 

m50mn.jpg

I agree that would be an interesting weakness….but I don't know if seeing evil!Mizzy is worth it. 

:o

Twi, you know my feelings about Mizzy. My thoughts are purely theoretical. I'd probably go on a Rending myself if it actually happened. :ph34r:

:o

Twi, you know my feelings about Mizzy. My thoughts are purely theoretical. I'd probably go on a Rending myself if it actually happened. :ph34r:

Oh, I know. I just posted that in case Sanderson considers writing a short story about it, since I know Ahlstrom trolls this board. :ph34r: 

What if Mizzy became an Epic but the Reckoners bribed her with cookies to not go and... Rend.

This possibility is pleasing to mine eyes. :ph34r: 

How about something like....

Power: If he touches someone, it makes that person want to believe in him.

Weakness: If he does not believe in himself.

Now someone might think that his power is weak..and it kinda is. Like Sanderson said himself, many powers are not useful, and some are pretty much useless. If David gets any powers, I don't expect them to be that useful, at least from the start. Then he will find small ways for him to use it.

As for the other epic that we don't know about, I am maybe thinking that it is Valentine. She has that "get pissed off for no reason" thing that many of the epics we have seen.

I doubt Valentine would be an Epic, she sort of got squished in Firefight after all. 

and just because she gets angry and irrational sometimes doesn't make her an Epic- it makes her a human who has had a hard life and experienced loss in a bad way.

I doubt Valentine would be an Epic, she sort of got squished in Firefight after all. 

and just because she gets angry and irrational sometimes doesn't make her an Epic- it makes her a human who has had a hard life and experienced loss in a bad way.

That would make it difficult, yes. Although there's always the chance she is/was a resurrection Epic. I don't believe that's the case, but there is a chance. 

That said, I think having Val be a somewhat snippy and combative normal human was an intentional move. One of Firefight's major themes is that Epics have a very human reason for acting the way they do. It may not make their actions right, but it does make them seem less alien to both David and to the reader. Adding a normal human who acts somewhat like an Epic drew attention to the human reasons behind Epic atrocities. 

That would mean Calamity works fast, not to mention he's kind of a procrastinator. "Eh, I've been meaning to make her into an Epic for a while now, but I just haven't gotten around to...wait, she's about to DIE? Crap, she needs a Rending pronto! Just let me put this beer down and...there! Okay. Back to Ghostbusters."

Or better yet, an Epic named Meatball. She bounces around, grossing everyone out and crashing into them with the weight of a person crushed into baseball size. Her one goal- get revenge on Megan for killing Sam and Prof for killing Exel. Does not accept that she is actually a meatball, and still thinks she is a person. Can communicate telepathically and move herself telekinetically.

Or better yet, an Epic named Meatball. She bounces around, grossing everyone out and crashing into them with the weight of a person crushed into baseball size. Her one goal- get revenge on Megan for killing Sam and Prof for killing Exel. Does not accept that she is actually a meatball, and still thinks she is a person. Can communicate telepathically and move herself telekinetically.

pug-head-tilt-o.gif

459facd78b9dbaf6122bdf065188fec7.jpg

What have I done???

WAT.

EES HAPNIENG HEAR??

Tis mayks az mooch scenes az speeleng ay sentans rong un porpoise.

Why would you spell wrong while on a porpoise more than anywhere else? I mean I guess the thrashing around might make it a bit hard to hit the right keys but I'm sure that's true of a lot of places.

• 2 weeks later...

m4wfw.jpg

Perhaps there's a chance David will get powers in Calamity—I'm not leaving that off the table—but if David had gone through a Rending in Firefight, he would've gone on a murder spree the moment Calamity gave him powers. Yet in the book, he refuses the powers outright and doesn't kill anyone at all. 

David could in fact have Epic powers in Firefight.  Most Epics do go on a Rending after getting powers however if they have faced their fears before getting their powers then they might not go on a Rending as they aren't turned evil by them.

As semi-proof of this I give you Conflux.  The only person he killed was his wife and that was by accident so it appears he never went on a Rending.  Plus he claims not to have a weakness.  He thought it was dogs but isn't sure.

David could in fact have Epic powers in Firefight.  Most Epics do go on a Rending after getting powers however if they have faced their fears before getting their powers then they might not go on a Rending as they aren't turned evil by them.

As semi-proof of this I give you Conflux.  The only person he killed was his wife and that was by accident so it appears he never went on a Rending.  Plus he claims not to have a weakness.  He thought it was dogs but isn't sure.

The only person we know of but I'm also highly sceptical on the conflux has conquered his weakness front.

Still doesn't explain the gifting.

• 5 weeks later...

He is an Epic.  In Firefight he faces his fear of drowning, as Calamity gifted him.  So he has the power, he just doesnt need/feel the desire to use it because he faced his fears.

Recall what the fortune cookie said to him:

Have good dreams steelslayer.

Edited by Spey-Vid

He is an Epic.  In Firefight he faces his fear of drowning, as Calamity gifted him.  So he has the power, he just doesnt need/feel the desire to use it because he faced his fears.

Recall what the fortune cookie said to him:

Have good dreams steelslayer.

That's one interpretation, the other is that by facing his fear before actually receiving the power he just didn't receive it. Which given that as of the opening of Calamity he still hasn't used any powers makes a bit more sense, plus again the whole getting gifted to thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone needs to ask Brandon if being an epic is what stops the gifting, or whether it's having used your epic powers that stops it to rule out that particular theory.

There are definitely unanswered questions about Conflux. (It could be that he's not telling the whole truth about his rending) If David is an epic now, I think figuring out the things he and Conflux have in common would fill in one of the two major holes in what we know about epics, ie "how does an epic avoid their Rending?".(The other is what determines which powers they get, as "thematically appropriate" doesn't really explain much!)