Whovians unite!

Favorite Doctor: 11, though Ten is a close runner. Matt Smith's alien exuberance is absolutely perfect for the role, and I won't deny that I'm still heartbroken over his departure. I like most of the others though, with 6 and 12 being the only two I'm not exceedingly fond of.

Favorite Monster: This is a tougher one... I find something awesomely amazing in almost all the antagonists on the show. (Except the Abzorbaloff, of course. :P)  If forced to pick a favorite though, I'd have to say that I find the Daleks fascinating as a race. Especially in the first two seasons; while they suffered some Villain Decay in later seasons, their first three appearances in the revived show were chock full of enigma, complexity, and intimidating presence.

Favorite Episode: I don't even know why I'm trying to figure this out. I love so many... again, if forced to pick, I'd have to choose The Day of the Doctor, Blink, or maybe Army of Ghosts/Doomsday.

Favorite Doctor: None. I thought 9 was my favorite while I watched his episodes; then 10 came along and he was my favorite for a while. After that was 11, and then I went back to some of the Classic Doctors and fell in love. I guess what I'm trying to say is: Each Doctor brings something new and unique to the table, and asking me to pick a favorite is like asking me to pick a favorite pastry when they're all chocolate-coated and delicious. If there's an exception, it's 12. I liked his darker bent at first, but now he just comes across as more of a jerk than the Doctor I know and love.

Favorite Monster: I've been terrified of the Weeping Angels since they were first introduced, but the Clockwork Droids terrified me more than the Angels. Their soulless commitment to the task at hand....I watched that episode in an empty house, and it was the biggest mistake of my life.

Favorite Episode: The Empty Child, The Eleventh Hour, or Vincent and the Doctor.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Though, I guess I am ind of biased, since my friends started me there, and I haven't watched any other doctors. I like the bowtie and fez style though

I started watching at the show's revival, so Eccleston was my introduction. I then, like Twi, fell in love with 10. Then Matt came along and blew me away. I like him for the reason Kobold listed and more. He's just...perfect...

Monster: The Weeping Angels (before they were rewritten from scratch each episode)

Considering they've been rewritten every new episode, I take it you mean Blink's version 1.0?

Edited by Blaze1616

-groans because of doctor who-

This show used to be good. Then Moffat took over as main writer. Bye bye Doctor Who.

He did well for a while. Matt Smith's first season was as close to perfect as any of Tennant's best episodes. Then....I don't know what happened. I think Capaldi's first season was the one where it really went downhill for me. Trying to make the Doctor darker with no good reason for it? It just felt so gratuitous.

-groans because of doctor who-

This show used to be good. Then Moffat took over as main writer. Bye bye Doctor Who.

I tend to avoid objective statements like that myself, opting instead for subjective statements like "I personally prefer" or "I dislike."

Personally, I think the show increased in quality tenfold when Moffat took over. But I respect the opinion of anyone who thinks differently. :)

(And as Twi said, I wasn't a big fan of Season 8. But I've read reviews from a lot of people saying that 8 is their favorite season ever, so I suppose all the fans have different ideas of what makes a good season.)

I personally think season 5 was great, season 6 was pretty good, and then season 7 just sort of..bombed...like nuclear. I think there's only one or two episodes in that season I actually like, and the rest I just tolerated. It also doesn't help that I really dislike Clara.

Anywho, it's not like the previous seasons were without error either. I loathe the Slitheen episodes, and David had a fair number of hit or miss episodes for me. In the end, though, it's the characters that drive the show for me, not the story, so my dislike of Clara has tarnished season 7 and 8 for me. 

I personally think season 5 was great, season 6 was pretty good, and then season 7 just sort of..bombed...like nuclear. I think there's only one or two episodes in that season I actually like, and the rest I just tolerated. It also doesn't help that I really dislike Clara.

Anywho, it's not like the previous seasons were without error either. I loathe the Slitheen episodes, and David had a fair number of hit or miss episodes for me. In the end, though, it's the characters that drive the show for me, not the story, so my dislike of Clara has tarnished season 7 and 8 for me.

I am not a fan of Clara. Not at all. She's cute and spunky....and that's it. That's her only personality. If it weren't for the memory wipe thing, I'd be pushing for them to bring back Donna; as it stands, I want the Doctor's next companion to be either Sally Sparrow or a pair of siblings.

As a character Clara has a tendency to fall a bit flat for me as well. In some ways--and I say this with the understanding that she has a lot of fans that I don't want to insult--she feels like a walking checklist of feminine protagonist traits. She's spunky, she makes quips, she's empathetic... all great qualities, but to me they've always felt a bit artificial as opposed to the more organic qualities characters like Amy or Martha demonstrated.

Again, I can see why others would like her, but she doesn't appeal to me much and I'd be happy to see a new companion soon.

(Out of conversation comment: let's not throw around downvotes on this here thread. Most Doctor Who discussion boards on the web are rife with bitterness and flame wars. Let's show those boards why the 17th Shard is the best, shall we? ;))

I am not a fan of Clara. Not at all. She's cute and spunky....and that's it. That's her only personality. If it weren't for the memory wipe thing, I'd be pushing for them to bring back Donna; as it stands, I want the Doctor's next companion to be either Sally Sparrow or a pair of siblings.

Sally Sparrow would be fun, particularly mixed with 12's crotchety-ness. In the end, though, I really just want a male companion that stays on the show of their own volition, not due to a love interest.. I understand the whole Doctor being male, so companion must be female, but it seems so...unnatural? 

I'd also love it if they'd stop the whole "companion is most important person in the universe" thing. We've got Rose, then Donna, then Amy, then Clara. The only recent female companion to not be the most important being in the universe during her time with the Doctor was Martha. She got one season, and she wasn't even all that great, though that's because the entirety of her character was to be jealous of Rose. When she was being her own person she was awesome.

Reasons why Moffat is a bad writer for doctor who

- his female characters are written so poorly it hurts

- plot holes ?? everywhere?

- plots that don't even make sense

- writing doesn't suit the character Smith made the Doctor.

- good one episoders but he can't write anything long term.

- really shallow characters, in general, but mostly female ones

- hes very sexist

In summery he can write one episode or two episode plots and Sherlock but he can't write full seasons of Doctor Who.

Season six was when it went down for me.

I stopped watching season 8 because it was so bad. Which is sad. I liked Capaldi.

Its not even that. Clara has hardly any real character depth. A male companion would be wonderful, though. I might even start watching it again.

Well, I will catch up some time this summer. It really hurts me that the show I used to love all throughout middle school got like this.

Nine and ten were the best, hands down. <3

- hes very sexist

In summery he can write one episode or two episode plots and Sherlock but he can't write full seasons of Doctor Who.

Season six was when it went down for me.

I stopped watching season 8 because it was so bad. Which is sad. I liked Capaldi.

I'm going to disagree with you on almost every point. Most of the poorly written episodes aren't written my Moffat. Moreover, Moffat wrote nearly all of the fan favorite episodes during Davies's run as head writer: The Empty ChildThe Doctor DancesThe Girl in the FireplaceBlinkSilence in the Library, and Forest of the Dead. If anything, he's just a bad lead writer.

I'm not sure which female characters you think are cringe worthy, but I found Amy to be far more compelling of a character than Rose or Martha. I feel this way about many of the minor female characters too, including River Song.

I do agree some of his plots don't make sense, but the same can be said about other writers, so it's not a Moffat issue only. If anything, it's an issue with the genre of a Space Opera television show that features a "monster of the week" feel.

I've always argued that 10 and 11 were opposites. 10 was a serious doctor put into silly episodes and situations. Meanwhile 11 is a silly doctor put into serious episodes and situations. Obviously this doesn't always hold true, but I feel it's pretty solid. As such, I felt Smith did an excellent job, and fit the episodes he was placed in perfectly.

Except for Blink, his major contributions prior to taking over as lead writer were multi-parters, so I don't see your point? I do feel he needs work on planning and executing story arcs, but on the flip side I also feel Davies's needs to attend a writing class due to his inconsistent performance every season.

For female characters, see above.

Mind explaining the sexist thing? I'm not sure what you mean.

Personally, I don't dislike Moffat, but I do think he needs work on executing story arcs. I also think he needs to realize that each new creation of his doesn't need to be the next Weeping Angel. I really disliked the Silence. Other than that though, I think he's a fine writer. And again, he's written most, if not all, of the fan favorite episodes.  ^_^

Edit: If your female complaint is Clara, then I understand. But you shouldn't lump all of his females together due to one bad apple.

Edited by Blaze1616

I do agree with the companion being male for once. And, the next doctor NEEDS to be ginger.

What I like, so far as companions go, is a pair of siblings, a brother and a sister maybe. If they were younger than previous companions, I feel like that would put the Doctor in more of a father figure role--one we haven't seen him in almost ever (so far as I can recall, anyway). That could soften Twelve's darker portrayal, and show new sides of him that we aren't getting with the current companion-as-love-interest status quo. Plus, if they were especially impish siblings, we'd get to see the Doctor going through entire episodes without noticing the fake mustache they drew on his face....and then we could see his revenge next episode. Oh! What if the grand seasonal arc was their prank war? THAT would be novel!

- hes very sexist

See, if I made a list of things I love about Moffat, I'd say:

- well-written characters, both male and female

- ingeniously woven intricate plot lines

- the best Doctor paired with the best writing seen on the show

- sexism non-existent

As I said before, these kinds of statements are subjective. While your opinions are respected, to make objective opinions you'll need to cite definitive, unarguable instances. Personally I think Moffat is the best thing that ever happened to Who, and I'd be as happy as a Weeping Angel in a redlight-greenlight party if he went back to the style of writing he practiced in seasons 5 and 6.