“Haul yon booty ashore, lads!” Riingar shouted, clambering down from the crow’s nest of his fine vessel, the Fair Exchange.  There were profits to be made today, and Riingar couldn’t let a second go to waste.  “Arg, careful wit’ those crates o’ spices, mateys!  Ye remember, we picked ‘em from yonder Svorden!  Wit’ hostilities in the Fjordell Empire makin’ travel difficult fer most merchants, we ought to make a killin’!”

A few of Riingar’s crew members, carrying stacks of wooden crates, stopped and stared nervously at their captain.

“Erm… a bloodless killin’, of course,” Riingar clarified.  “Aye.  Now, off ye go!  The King’s Court ain’t waitin’ fer ourrr shipment, an’ I ain’t either!”

As the crewmembers hurried down the gangplank, Riingar followed afterwards, glancing back at the Fair Exchange.  She was a fine ship, aye, but Riingar couldn’t shake the feeling that he wouldn’t see her again.  Ah well.  It was probably just the pre-trade anxiety again.  Though, in all honesty, most merchants tended to be far more afraid of Riingar than he was of them… maybe it was the pegleg?

“Me pegleg...” Riingar chuckled, turning his attention back towards Kae’s bustling port.  In a way, perhaps it was the pegleg that cast fear into the hearts of some he traded with.  Not the leg itself, but what it symbolized.  That he was a pirate… once.  That he had plundered the seas of Opelon, looted treasures from faraway Teoish ports, and ruthlessly murdered those who dared defy him.

But those days were over.  He had spent a considerable amount of time locked up for his heinous crimes, but he had been set free from prison with a new goal: to be the best merchant that the continent of Opelon had ever seen!  And, aye, the fame and glory from his old pirating days did help in this regard.  That, and the fact that all of his of his old loyal crew had been willing candidates to help with his trading business.

“Arr, let us be goin’, then!” Riingar announced to his crew, striding forth into Kae.  It was a new day, and for Riingar, that meant plenty of new opportunities for loot to be made.  As long as he didn’t run into any of his old rivals…

Ol’ Riingar be back from the high seas (but is a legitimate businessman now… honest), which means I be usin' pirate speak fer this game! ;)

Edit: hero, can an elantrian become a veteran and how?

Whoops, just saw this question. All I will say is that lots of things are possible as the Elantrians explore the ruined city.  :ph34r:

What, Wilson and I actually working together?.... B)

Hrm, not sure. It'd be fun to run again, with a bunch of modifications and improvements of course. I've actually just asked Meta to add me to the long game GM list again, but I've got a rather different game in mind this time....I think you'll like it  :)

Hmm, I can't wait. When do we get to find out what it is?

Remember the QF game where I may have made a really complicated code?

Yes I remember. This is a little different scenario, however. In my QF game players weren't supposed to be able to communicate with each other in the main thread, but I left them a tiny bit of wiggle room that (of course) spiraled way out of control.

In this game, the Hoed limitation to 5 words is for flavor more than anything, so I don't care if the Hoed work out codes for communicating with the other players. Really, the main thing restricting them is that they can't vote or use their actions.

EDIT:

Quick question for everyone- and particularly those players with a lot of experience:

This game is already at 25 players after only 2 days of sign ups, so it's going to be big. I had originally planned on 48 hour days and 24 hour nights, but do you think that's enough time for the night phases? Would 48 hours be better- or too long? Really I'm fine either way, so I'm curious what you guys would prefer

Edited by Herowannabe

Gerald stumbled again, this time taking the long overdue faceplant onto the rocks. One of the lenses of his prescription Oakleys shattered.

Just my luck. Out of all of civilians in Newcago, Dimension chooses me. Gerald briefly considered stopping, dying, and giving himself up as food for worms right there, but eventually decided against it. He didn't know whether or not slugs lived in these mountains, after all. He hated slugs. Boiled, fried, or alive, he just. Hated. Slugs.

Gerald turned himself over and immediately regretted the decision. The midday sun blazed into his one naked eye and he reflexively sneezed. A bit of sun up the nose never hurt anyo--AAH! A dagger of pain twisted sharply inside Gerald's head as his migraine kicked back in full force.Oh sparks that hurts!

Gerald struggled to his feet and surveyed the surroundings. The upper parts of the mountain, where he had just come from, looked barren and rocky. He shivered momentarily, an involuntary reaction to the drip of water making its way down his back. For some reason, his shirt still hadn't dried out from his journey.

Where even am I? Sparkin' Epics. One moment I'm kicking butt in a street race, next moment I'm drownin' in that stinkin' pool. The question is, where did Dimension sen--Calamity! Gerald's train of thought broke off as he noticed a city near the base of the mountain. The city didn't look like anything he would have recognized on earth. Maybe I discovered Shangria-La... He began to trot towards it. Looks like a long way off. Might make it before nightfall. He adjusted his now half-defunct sunglasses and picked up the pace.

Yes. I'm totally gonna go with this and see how it turns out.

As you can probably see, due to my single reading of Elantris, my knowledge of Selian geography is virtually nonexistent...:mellow:

Edited by Kipper

Quick question for everyone- and particularly those players with a lot of experience:

This game is already at 25 players after only 2 days of sign ups, so it's going to be big. I had originally planned on 48 hour days and 24 hour nights, but do you think that's enough time for the night phases? Would 48 hours be better- or too long? Really I'm fine either way, so I'm curious what you guys would prefer

I'll be signing up for this game. I called dibs on it with the other Mods when it was first revealed! :P I just haven't come up with a character yet, but that's coming. 

Honestly, in my experience, the first couple of days is when a good chunk of people wind up signing up. The middle days, it lags a bit and everyone starts getting in some RP and developing their characters. Then, near the end, there's the stragglers (Hi!) that are either trying to come up with a character or just wait until the last minute or just found out about it. 

In other words, you'll probably break 30 with this game, but I wouldn't expect it to get too much larger, especially after some people go inactive. If I'm wrong, I'd have no problems with that either! :)

As far as your question goes, the biggest thing is to try to be consistent. If 24 hours during the night isn't enough time for you to get everything together and to record/PM everyone, then that is a good reason to extend the time; not whether or not the rest of us can. If someone wasn't willing to get their orders in before the 24 hour deadline, they likely won't get it in before a 48 hour deadline as long as you're consistent with where the specific deadline is. 

Your (and ours) biggest concern should be to help lessen the burden placed on you. 

Personally, as long as you think you can handle it, I prefer the 24 hour nights. But, if you would like the extra time, to make sure that everything stays on track, I will always bow to the convenience and ease on our GMs over my preference every time. 

Wow. The high-danger level players are all in this game. This is going to be intense. There's only a couple who aren't playing and they've still got time.

Hero, I'll echo Meta's statement. Do whichever will work best for you. For example, LG11, while very fun, took the GMs a long time to finish cycles. If you can't do it in 24 hours, don't worry about it. Maybe try 24 for the first cycle and then make the final call from there.

Wow. The high-danger level players are all in this game. This is going to be intense. There's only a couple who aren't playing and they've still got time.

Hero, I'll echo Meta's statement. Do whichever will work best for you. For example, LG11, while very fun, took the GMs a long time to finish cycles. If you can't do it in 24 hours, don't worry about it. Maybe try 24 for the first cycle and then make the final call from there.

Not quite. Wyrm still hasn't arrived. :(

I can't believe Gamma would turn down a game with as many backstab oppurtunities as this one.

I'll be signing up for this game. I called dibs on it with the other Mods when it was first revealed! :P I just haven't come up with a character yet, but that's coming. 

Ooh, tough luck Meta! I capped this game at 25 players, so there's not any room for you. Sorry about that... :unsure:

okay okay, just kidding, don't mod-slap me, alright?  ;)  

So I guess that makes Gamma the moderator for this game?

In other words, you'll probably break 30 with this game, but I wouldn't expect it to get too much larger, especially after some people go inactive. If I'm wrong, I'd have no problems with that either!  :)

30 is still pretty big... I'm curious, what is the record? Which game had the most people sign up for it?

As far as your question goes, the biggest thing is to try to be consistent. If 24 hours during the night isn't enough time for you to get everything together and to record/PM everyone, then that is a good reason to extend the time; not whether or not the rest of us can. If someone wasn't willing to get their orders in before the 24 hour deadline, they likely won't get it in before a 48 hour deadline as long as you're consistent with where the specific deadline is. 

Your (and ours) biggest concern should be to help lessen the burden placed on you. 

Personally, as long as you think you can handle it, I prefer the 24 hour nights. But, if you would like the extra time, to make sure that everything stays on track, I will always bow to the convenience and ease on our GMs over my preference every time. 

Good advice. Most of the difficult role juggling stuff will be during the day phase, but that's good to keep in mind. I'll talk it over with Tulir and see what he thinks.

Well, more you on any team that I'm not on. I'm kinda afraid of you. Actually, I'm kind of afraid of everyone on this forum.

Aww, what have I...ever...done.........nevermind. Fair enough.

I'm basically just agreeing with what others have said here but it's really up to you and if you are going to find it easy or difficult to deal with all night actions in that timeframe. Often I think 24 hours might be all that is needed. I needed 48 hours in Colours of War because the returned needed the opportunity to decide to save someone and because of the sheer amount of stuff that happened each night :)

Hmm, I can't wait. When do we get to find out what it is?

It's still a work in progress atm (and it won't be happening for a long time) and actually I won't be able to give a full rules listing till after the game ends. It's all about mysteries :) I can give you a rough elevator pitch though. (Just dropping it in a spoiler as it's a little off-topic :P)

There was a shimmering aura, like some kind of mist with blue lights sparkling throughout it. You stepped inside it and felt a jerk, like the universe shifting around you. When you came to your senses you found yourself lying in the ruins of what must be an alien city, but you aren’t alone. Others have come through too and are stranded with you but some of them don’t look surprised. Could they have come through on purpose? Could they be looking for something other than a way home?

Believe me, it'll be more hilarious if Wilson and Claincy end up as the Lovers :P

Yes I remember. This is a little different scenario, however. In my QF game players weren't supposed to be able to communicate with each other in the main thread, but I left them a tiny bit of wiggle room that (of course) spiraled way out of control.

Wow. I'm not surprised. :P

Not quite. Wyrm still hasn't arrived. :(

He won't be joining us, Jain. I'm afraid it's just you and me now. As the only representatives of the Wyrm Inquisition in this game :ph34r:

So I guess that makes Gamma the moderator for this game?

Yep! Wilson and Meta immediately called dibs on this game when you first revealed it, and Wilson had to sign-up once she saw Claincy was playing! :P

So I'll be the Mod sitting out if you or anyone else needs me for whatever reasons during the game, and I'll enjoy watching the ensuing bloodbath in the Spec Doc. ;)

Believe me, it'll be more hilarious if Wilson and Claincy end up as the Lovers :P

...I had forgotten that would be in this game. Yes, that would be hilarious, even more so if she was a cultist and so had the power to kill me but couldn't XD

Well at least we won't have a situation where you have Claincy as Gyorn, with Wilson both Odiv and one of the Lovers matched up with Gamma.

Replace Gamma with Meta and you've still got a pretty awesome (in my totally non-biased opinion) combination ;)
Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

...I had forgotten that would be in this game. Yes, that would be hilarious, even more so if she was a cultist and so had the power to kill me but couldn't XD

I hate both of you. Cruel, cruel people.

PSA: If the Dula puts me as a lover with Claincy, I will mark you as dead in all games henceforth. You will be my biggest target ever, no matter what alignment I am or the strategic reasons for keeping you alive. You will be an even bigger target than Claincy. And that's saying something. Oh, and I'll probably sacrifice myself, just to kill him. OW came back from being eaten by an Awakened sword. What's to stop her from whatever death she inflicts upon herself here?

PSA: If the Dula puts me as a lover with Claincy, I will mark you as dead in all games henceforth. You will be my biggest target ever, no matter what alignment I am or the strategic reasons for keeping you alive. You will be an even bigger target than Claincy. And that's saying something. Oh, and I'll probably sacrifice myself, just to kill him. OW came back from being eaten by an Awakened sword. What's to stop her from whatever death she inflicts upon herself here?

Congratulations, Wilson. You've just thrown down the biggest gauntlet ever in the history of Sanderson Elimination to the Dula. And that's saying something. :P

Edited by Kasimir

Congratulations, Wilson. You've just thrown down the biggest gauntlet ever in the history of Sanderson Elimination to the Dula. And that's saying something. :P

But now that everyone's expecting it, will the Dula really do it? Or will they be more creative and go elsewhere? There are many humorous options available. I can think of at least 4 right off the top of my head.

But now that everyone's expecting it, will the Dula really do it? Or will they be more creative and go elsewhere? There are many humorous options available. I can think of at least 4 right off the top of my head.

You seem to suggest that because something is expected implies it is no longer creative. It is unclear if such is necessarily the case. (Also, see: I know, you know/Cheryl's birthday) ;)

I hate both of you. Cruel, cruel people.

*hopes to be the Dula*

Pity. Why hasn't Wyrm been playing recently?

It's my last year at university, and everything's suddenly been happening without letting up. At the end of the QF game I ran, I had a week to hand in my dissertation, then a week to write a paper presentation, then a few days to prepare for my viva, then a week to finish my coursework... And now it's just revision, revision, revision, with exams this week and next week. I'm afraid I really don't have the time for the next fortnight to be a part of games - hence why I haven't even been a part of the spec doc in recent games.

However, I'll be signing up again to games next month, when I have all the time in the world save for job-hunting. It's good to know I'm missed :P.

Edit: I could possibly be a pitch-hitter though for anyone who has to leave after the 28th.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Diren begins looking at the list of the invited parties to the King's Palace. "What odd names they have. And such diverse occupations. Pirates, and wanderers and kings, oh my" he muttered to himself, readying his note pad to go to the palace. "This should be interesting. Very interesting indeed."