First Names (if you're comfortable sharing)

gjustice99

A few called me Bobby for a while, but that's a weird story I'm still not quite sure of the details on.

This is the best kind of nickname, when not even you know how it came to be.

Hugs. Um. Okay.

*scoots away*

I've only met one other person with my name. I've met another person who has my name, but misspelled. Everyone misspells it though, and you can't say my version's wrong, because it's in the Bible! :lol:

It's Esther. It means star. Some people call me Ess. A few called me Bobby for a while, but that's a weird story I'm still not quite sure of the details on.

I thought Esther meant concealed or hidden. Ive never heard of the meaning of star.

I knew a girl with it spelled Ester. But I also know three other ladies named Esther, so yeah. I think the Esther spelling is more common, but for someone who has never met an Esther, with the th making a t sound, I can understand the mistake.

I knew a girl with it spelled Ester. But I also know three other ladies named Esther, so yeah. I think the Esther spelling is more common, but for someone who has never met an Esther, with the th making a t sound, I can understand the mistake.

I mean linguistically it's from Hebrew אסתר, (read right to left basically the equivalent of E/S/TH/R, because most vowels aren't letters). It's like שבת SH/B/TH which ends on the same letter becomes SabbaTH but we hebraically pronounce it Shabbat.

So I mean either way is correct for pronounciation but I'd say the th is more..........authentic,maybe?

.......is this clear in the slightest?

Edited by Delightful

Phew! I don't have much practice explaining language.

It also beats me why ת is transliterated as th and not t to begin with. So anyway..

There's a similar problem with German though. It's actually more egregious in their case because they use the storming Latin alphabet but just choose to go with 'th' when they pronounce it as 't'.

...This totally has nothing to do with that time when I was backpacking through Trier, wondering why everyone was telling me to go see the 'Turma' (which is a cavalry squadron back then in Rome's Empire days) and then realised way too late that:

1. German pronounces 'th' as 't': so, Neander-tal, etc.

2. They really meant the 'Therma', or the Roman baths >>

There's a similar problem with German though. It's actually more egregious in their case because they use the storming Latin alphabet but just choose to go with 'th' when they pronounce it as 't'.

...This totally has nothing to do with that time when I was backpacking through Trier, wondering why everyone was telling me to go see the 'Turma' (which is a cavalry squadron back then in Rome's Empire days) and then realised way too late that:

1. German pronounces 'th' as 't': so, Neander-tal, etc.

2. They really meant the 'Therma', or the Roman baths >>

....oops. *facepalm*. Did you find the baths?

In the case of Hebrew it doesn't make much practical difference because there isn't a 'th' sound at all, it just makes the English sound silly for no good reason. (I mean, there's probabaly a reason somewhere somehow but not one that I know of).

....oops. *facepalm*. Did you find the baths?

In the case of Hebrew it doesn't make much practical difference because there isn't a 'th' sound at all, it just makes the English sound silly for no good reason. (I mean, there's probabaly a reason somewhere somehow but not one that I know of).

I'm not actually sure if they have a 'th' sound either, unless maybe in the case of a loanword from English. But then, I haven't had any sleep, and my vocabulary sure is failing me right now... :P

Yeah, I did. They were pretty awesome, even if they weren't a squadron of Roman cavalry ;)

• Chaos locked this topic