First Names (if you're comfortable sharing)

gjustice99

My name is ancient. It appears in one of the most revered holy books in the world; in modern times it is often associated with jewels and the market that sells them. I share it with poets, actors, politicians, sportsmen, scientists, and even a noted historian.

In the Hebrew language, it means "Descent."

I am...

...Jared.

Hm. Lies, all of you. :P Only Kobold is telling the truth. I was apparently under the mistaken impression that LarkoftheRiver == boy...:( sorry. Even so, she is lying. Kobold, I believe you. :P The funny thing is that I know what names DON'T fit my perceptions of you all, but I don't know which names DO. :D Names are fascinating, are they not?

My name, which I share with an incredibly high amount of sports players from the EU, a professional goalkeeper, a player of the uillean pipes, a film critic, and several actors, is

Edit:[Redacted]

In the year I was born, approximately 47 other people in the U.S. were given this name.

It means "dove," as in the bird. My parents named me this based on a character from one of James Herriott's (a British veterinarian) books called Edit:[Redacted] Buchanan. The name is has a much higher popularity in Scotland, where it is also written as Edit:[Redacted]. The traditional pronunciation of "Edit:[Redacted]" is "Edit:[Redacted]" the beggining of which is pronounced the same way as Edit:[Redacted], if that wasn't clear. My parents decided to pronounce it "Edit:[Redacted]" I was cursed at birth with this decision. Ah well. I used to correct people's pronunciation all the time. Now I just take it like a man. I have never met another person with my name.

I would prefer to be named Edit:[Redacted], but I doubt that I will change my name.

gjustice, great thread, btw. I don't want to steal your idea, so will you start another thread or add to the OP a question that asks what people would rather be named, if indeed they do have a rather?

Edited by Kipper

Hm. Lies, all of you. Only Kobold is telling the truth. I was apparently under the mistaken impression that LarkoftheRiver == boy...:( sorry. Even so, she is lying.

I have documents to prove that I am indeed not lying.

And that's totally fine. I don't mind being called the wrong gender. Common online mistake. I'm actually thinking of going by they/them pronouns, but for now I go by she/her primarily.

Hm. Lies, all of you. Only Kobold is telling the truth. I was apparently under the mistaken impression that LarkoftheRiver == boy... :( sorry. Even so, she is lying. Kobold, I believe you.

Uh... what? I for one didn't detect any liespren at all in the posts here. ;)

And for the record, Sarah and [DATA EXPUNGED] are both awesome names. :)

Edited by Kobold King

Uh... what? I for one didn't detect any liespren at all in the posts here. ;)

Ah, I was merely saying (albeit in an apparently offensive way) that I wouldn't have thought of those names for those people. I will either strike the offending text or add some smiley faces. You have my apologies.

And for the record, Sarah and Edit:[Redacted] are both awesome names. :)

Sarah? Definitely. Edit:[Redacted]? Definitely not. Until you walk this earth (in America) with that name, you do not understand...:P

My name is Anthony, that's really all there is to say.

You are a perfect Anthony! Do you go by Tony or Anthony? Edited by Kipper

Katherine. Hence my "kappa" profile picture. It's derived from the word for pure in Greek. Why not? "I'm pure. I'm a child and stuff. I'm so storming pure I practically belch rainbows."-Lift  ;)

Edited by Sarcasm

Ah, I was merely saying (albeit in an apparently offensive way) that I wouldn't have thought of those names for those people. I will either strike the offending text or add some smiley faces. You have my apologies.

Sarah? Definitely.? Definitely not. Until you walk this earth (in America) with that name, you do not understand...

You are a perfect Anthony! Do you go by Tony or Anthony?

Uh, thank you? And I only go by Anthony.

Edited by Redbird

Pffttt my name is so boring though. You can't make any nicknames. None.

However, you don't have to deal with...interesting derivatives of your name. My friends have dubbed me "Hello Kitty" from "Katherine" in order to annoy me. :mellow:  :P

People just call me by my last name.

Which has some interesting derivatives.

7th grade was gross.

[Edit]

Dear lord, please don't let my friends see that post.

Edited by LarkoftheRiver

People just call me by my last name.

Which has some interesting derivatives.

7th grade was gross.

[Edit]

Dear lord, please don't let my friends see that post.

... My last name has made me the end of countless jokes, especially in roll call. It's Yu. Nope, not You, but Yu. In Chinese, "Yu" is also "Fish", therefore earning me the nickname... "Fishy Hello Kitty"...  :mellow:  <_<

Once, at a big event where I was receiving an award, someone called me up to the stage as "Edit:[Redacted]". My name was handwritten on the emcee's script, and the person that wrote it had very sloppy handwriting. The emcee saw:

Edit:[Redacted]

The emcee saw "Edit:[Redacted]" I got up and walked to the stage, knowing it was me, but still wondering how it happened. Then the group I was with all yelled at the same time (I kid you not), "IT'S Edit:[Redacted]!!" Most embarassing moment...

And thus it was that Edit:[Redacted] became my nickname for a while, and I discovered that I liked it. :D

Edited by Kipper

First name is Sean.  spelled the proper way, none of this "Sh" nonsense.  One of my favorite minor details about my trip to Ireland last year was that I didn't have to constantly spell my name for people, they just kind of assumed the right one, since it is spelled that way over there.

And Kipper: I understood exactly what you were talking about.  I knew a guy whose nickname was "Chester" because one of his friends' first impression of him was that he looked like someone who would be named "Chester."  See also the character "Wesley Snipes" from 30 Rock

My first name is Francis, from the Italian saint, who was apparently named thus because his father liked the French. Or something like that. Incidentally, Scadrial has lots of French sounding stuff, and it is the Shardworld of the skaa.

I have a second name. Only enemies call me by my second name.

Edited by skaa