Facepalm-worthy Moments during Readings

Patrick Star

So, today I finally realized that the Way of Kings cover had Dalinar in front and Kaladin in the back.  Up until today, I had thought that was Dalinar and Eshonai.

When reading or rereading the two books (so far) what other facepalm-worthy moments have you guys had?  I'm genuinely interested to hear what you guys have to say :)

Most ridiculous (and true) answer wins a cookie!  Or maybe some Rosharian wine.

I'm pretty sure it is Dalinar and Eshonai.

He painted the Shallan piece because he too felt that there should be some nod to the fact that this was her book. (Though, notably, the first cover had Dalinar and Eshonai on the cover, despite being Kaladin's book.)

Source

As for me, my most facepalm moment (although it was but a theory) was that in WoR, Shallan and Szeth would take the same boat to the Shattered Planes and would fall in love. I thought it would've been interesting, but looking back....

When I read WoK MULTIPLE TIMES I imagined Shardplate and Shardblades as being made out of large, bulky, carved crystal. It wasn't until reading WoR and seeing Shallan's sketches that I realized they were basically metallic with a bit of a glow to them

(this was before I knew anything like 17th Shard or Coppermind existed)

This is from Mistborn, so I'm going to spoiler tag it.

Don't read it unless you have at least read the Final Empire.

I felt sure Kelsier wasn't really dead. I thought he was going to make some elaborate comeback and last minute save.

And, this also seemed to cause something else, once I had gotten used to Sanderson.

WoR spoiler.

Because of the Mistborn thing, I felt sure that when Jasnah died, she would stay dead.

Wrong on both counts. Oh well.

Edited by TheYoungBard

When reading WoK, I always thought Shin people are dark-skinned... Really don't know why because there're descriptions in book say that they have pale skin. So... my first Szeth fan art is drawn wrong and not until Mr. Inkthinker pointed it out did I realize that I made a huge mistake! (* Facepalm*) Then I would never forget this fact :)

When reading WoK, I always thought Shin people are dark-skinned... Really don't know why because there're descriptions in book say that they have pale skin. So... my first Szeth fan art is drawn wrong and not until Mr. Inkthinker pointed it out did I realize that I made a huge mistake! (* Facepalm*) Then I would never forget this fact :)

I have had, for the longest time, picture Rock as black with red hair....  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: I know, I know, I know. 

I have had, for the longest time, picture Rock as black with red hair....  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: I know, I know, I know.

I know how if feels, always make the same mistake.

As for me, my most facepalm moment (although it was but a theory) was that in WoR, Shallan and Szeth would take the same boat to the Shattered Planes and would fall in love. I thought it would've been interesting, but looking back....

I would have taken this over the Kaladin/Shallan/Adolin love triangle. So much potential.

My fanart I try to make is facepalm worthy.

Also the fact that I can't pronounce any names used in the book.

what are you talking about? Your art is awesome! And to the second point, I was saying something about Elend to my brother and he didnt know who I was talking about for about 5 minutes...

i never believed it was dalinar on the cover because of the color of the cloak. his family color is blue dang it.

I also thought whitespren were doglike creatures lol

Edited by Rubix
Watch the language, please.

Whitespines*

yes, thats what i meant lol

also regarding jasnah's death; it really wasnt surprising. If brandon sanderson was gonna kill off one of the characters, he will spend more time on their death scene than he did on jasnah's. I mean come on: *open door* *see jasnah die* *close door*, It wasnt surprising at all to see her alive.

It's definitely Kaladin in the back.  He's holding a spear and has the Parshendi bone shield slung on his back.  Plus, he's not wearing shardplate.  Zoom in, and you'll see what I mean.  Not Eshonai.

You get a Word of Brandon or Peter backing that up and I'll agree.  Until then I'm going with that distant character being Eshonai.  Neither scene had a highstorm approaching either.  As the cover of Words of Radiance shows a novels cover is rarely perfectly accurate.  I'm betting they gave a general description and Whelan drew what he envisioned.  One isn't picky when Michael Whelan agrees to do your novels cover.

I'm pretty sure the cover art for WoK was taken from a scene in the book where Dalinar saves Bridge Four from some Parshendi archers.

WoK hardback p. 876

"Parshendi fell before the sweeping Blade of the Shardbearer, some toppling into the chasm, others scrambling back. The rest died with burned-out eyes. In seconds, the squad of fifty archers had been reduced to corpses. The Shardbearer's honor guard caught up with him. He turned, armor seeming to glow as he raised his Blade in a salute of respect toward the bridgemen. Then he charged off in another direction."

The color of Dalinar's cloak is wrong, but it seems like the art was more inspired by the scene than depicting it accurately. Kaladin didn't have a spear because he was still a bridgeman at that point, but the person in the background is obviously holding a spear. I don't recall Dalinar or Eshonai picking up a spear in WoK, so I think it's safe to say that it's Kaladin in the background.

I'm pretty sure the cover art for WoK was taken from a scene in the book where Dalinar saves Bridge Four from some Parshendi archers.

WoK hardback p. 876

"Parshendi fell before the sweeping Blade of the Shardbearer, some toppling into the chasm, others scrambling back. The rest died with burned-out eyes. In seconds, the squad of fifty archers had been reduced to corpses. The Shardbearer's honor guard caught up with him. He turned, armor seeming to glow as he raised his Blade in a salute of respect toward the bridgemen. Then he charged off in another direction."

The color of Dalinar's cloak is wrong, but it seems like the art was more inspired by the scene than depicting it accurately. Kaladin didn't have a spear because he was still a bridgeman at that point, but the person in the background is obviously holding a spear. I don't recall Dalinar or Eshonai picking up a spear in WoK, so I think it's safe to say that it's Kaladin in the background.

I agree that it is suppose to symbolize Dalinar and Kaladin, but i dont think it depicts any scenario in the book. For one thing, kaladin wouldnt have any problems hiding from his position relevant to where dalinar took out the archers. another is that neither the bridgemen nor the armies are present, though i do understand that they may have been ommited to bring the focus on to the two characters. Dalinar's cloak has both the wrong symbol as well as the wrong color, and oathbringer is in an incorrect shape.

"Six feet long from tip to hilt. Long and slightly curved. A handspan wide. Wavelike serrations near the hilt. Curved at the tip like a fisherman's hook" (stormlight archive wiki, i was too lazy to find the description within the book.)

also, on the cover, there is a storm brewing whcih ofcourse does not depict any scene but it may be a forshadow of what is to come.