Cosmere City: Worldbuilding thread

If you want more of a coherent anti-crime organization going, you could have Kaythus set up an official group, as a lord. Each person would be in it for a different reason.

The Bard would join as the 'favour' he owes (to Kaythus, if we do this).

Turos would join for the adrenaline rush.

Tusurker would join so he can stay in Cosmere City and away from Roshar a little longer. (Though he wouldn't admit it, of course).

Resool would join because... he feels loyal to the cause??? (Is this wildly inaccurate, Lark?)

Mist would join, so... I have no idea. Any suggestions?

If we aren't doing this, that's fine too. I just think it might work.

EDIT: Also, isn't Ven, a.k.a. Mistkiller the bad guy? Who is Arcus?

Edited by TheYoungBard

Perhaps Cleo could try to kidnap the hemulargist because she noticed that he had some power she wanted and thought it was natural. Then they team up?

The Hemalurgist is someone you do not want to fight.

I'll use Resool, and I'll make his post tomorrow.

If anyone wants to be with him please tell me.

Great.

I think Turos will be happy to work with anybody willing to make things interesting. He hasn't let loyalty mess with his decision making process... yet.

As for Hugh, I think I'll help get the ball rolling.

Good. I see a lot of stuff revolving around Amben. My plan is to have Kaythus's son lead a strike team to Ambens shop.

Resool would join because... he feels loyal to the cause??? (Is this wildly inaccurate, Lark?)

Maybe. I don't see him being too thick in the action, though. 

Can Mist go with him? They'd probably get along well, judging from his bio.

Sure. Let me post for him now. c:

Yeah sure... I guess it is up to you guys. Our ultimate objective is to form as a team and fight Investiture related evil. Maybe some of you could already be partners and go hunting Ven.. That would be intresting. Suggestions?

So Ven's bad?  If so, Kreoh would like to team up with him. 

P.S. Maybe I should get an actual 'information' ring set up. You PM me with something that isn't publicly known, and I PM something back. However, I'm not sure whether this is within rules. Venture, this is your RP. Is that allowed?

Also, yea or nay on the official group (as opposed to just pairs)?

If Resool does have a ticket to this exhibit, that could provide a lead for figuring out what the Mistkiller is up to. If we go with that and Ven gets away, Hugh could agree to trade the valuable awesome lucky fedora back for information about the stolen ticket. He might be up to working with Mist and Resool. It's up to you guys, but I need to go to work. If you want to post including my actions, here's some of what I was working on before Lark had a chance to respond to the attack.

Hugh:

Hugh studied this woman as he argued with her. She didn't seem to have anything of value other than some shiny bracelets. He wondered how much those would be worth, then realized there was a chance those bracelets were metalminds. It wasn't very likely, but possible. After all, he wore metalminds of his own. He liked to hide that fact when he could.

Hugh eyed the Terrisman who strode up to the woman's side. Hugh froze, letting the hat he was spinning on a finger fall down onto his hand. (I guess the attack happens here or so.)

I feel like a lot of people are trying to get a feel for what's going to happen, but the way I see it? If nobody has said anything, I'm free to paint a part of the picture and go from there.

So basically, Arcus is the big crime lord we need to take down. Even is the chaotic element who gets in everyone's way and everyone on his way. He will stay as an opponent, but perhaps become an ally later, or merely the big obstacle to overcome before figuring out Arcus' weakness.

I have no idea what this trinket is, or why Res has it, or for that matter, when I agreed to put him in that position.

I have nothing against it, but I do want some communication here with this trinket, and the plot in general.

Sorry if I'm a stickler for this, but I've been in rps that have fallen apart due to no/poor planning/people trying to be secretive about plot points, which doesn't work well for rping.

So basically, Arcus is the big crime lord we need to take down. Even is the chaotic element who gets in everyone's way and everyone on his way. He will stay as an opponent, but perhaps become an ally later, or merely the big obstacle to overcome before figuring out Arcus' weakness.

My name is Ven. I am your ally.

I have no idea what this trinket is, or why Res has it, or for that matter, when I agreed to put him in that position.

I have nothing against it, but I do want some communication here with this trinket, and the plot in general.

Sorry if I'm a stickler for this, but I've been in rps that have fallen apart due to no/poor planning/people trying to be secretive about plot points, which doesn't work well for rping.

Yeah. I will edit my post so that Ven attacks Charden. You guys could chase me? Edited by Venture Mistborn

Wow. Posting from my smartphone isn't so great. Auto-'correct' failed me again. Translation:

So basically, Arcus is the big crime lord we need to take down. Ven is the chaotic element who gets in everyone's way and everyone in his way. He will start as an opponent, but perhaps become an ally later, or merely the big obstacles to overcome before figuring out Arcus' weakness.

I had Hugh collect Charden's wallet, which he will inspect soon and discover something that reveals what Ven stole. That's my plan anyway. Do you guys like this approach? If it sounds good, what should I discover in the wallet? How can we figure out what Ven is after?

Also, why should we care to follow after the Mistkiller? Hugh is interested because he is trying to find an angle to make a profit, through more detective-style means so far.

@Venture Mistborn Isn't Ven already a mistborn? I wonder why he wants Lerasium.

Wow. Posting from my smartphone isn't so great. Auto-'correct' failed me again. Translation:

I had Hugh collect Charden's wallet, which he will inspect soon and discover something that reveals what Ven stole. That's my plan anyway. Do you guys like this approach? If it sounds good, what should I discover in the wallet? How can we figure out what Ven is after?

Also, why should we care to follow after the Mistkiller? Hugh is interested because he is trying to find an angle to make a profit, through more detective-style means so far.

@Venture Mistborn Isn't Ven already a mistborn? I wonder why he wants Lerasium.

The wallet collecting is good. To care to follow after me? Charden and Kaythus want him dead. They have deep wallets. When a Mistborn burns lerasium his powers become stronger. Strong enough to fight Arcus.

There will be a gala at The Cosmere Art museum. Charden will invite you all, and that is when Ven will make his attack. Arcus will attack, too.

This is going to be interesting...

Isn't Charden going to die via Ven's weapon that can't be healed though? He would lose too much blood.

We could have him set up the group, knowing he'd be incapacitated when the event occurred. I can start that off, if you like.

P.S. I am writing it under the assumption that Charden is a full Mistborn. If he is Twinborn, or a Misting, please let me know and I'll have to alter it slightly.

Alright, the sorry is progressing again. :)

One thing I think needs mentioned for those who are new to roleplaying. I haven't found a thread explaining how to RP, but roleplayers have created a sort of code of Do's and Dont's. I am new to roleplaying as well, but have picked up on a few of these.

Probably the biggest rule is to never 'godmod'. People will call you out on godmodding, but the problem is new people are unfamiliar with the term, so the warning often goes misunderstood. Godmodding is when one person posts the actions, reactions, words or thoughts of a character they don't own. You could even say describing the clothes a character is wearing or mentioning anything about their background is godmodding where those details haven't been confirmed by the character's owner.

The etiquette is to abstain from any godmodding. The nature of RPs is that players want to act, but must wait for other players to react, especially in dialogue. Remember that patience is a very large part of roleplaying. Avoid the temptation to take control of others' characters.

My opinion is that in certain circumstances godmodding is acceptable, but this is only in small degrees and only including non-vital, non-important actions, and only ever done with the understanding that you may need to retract what you have said.

As you play and read others' posts, you may discover little tricks to avoid godmodding while still keeping things moving faster, especially with dialogue.

Nobody is perfect, so don't feel afraid to point out your concerns when you see others godmodding. Be aware that not everyone minds their characters being controlled and sometimes players will coordinate actions ahead of time in personal messages. Personally, I like a little bit of godmodding on my characters, as long as it is not too extreme. It creates a fun challenge and I can always say that my character actually didn't do what was said.

In the end, just remember the golden rule. If you are willing to godmod, you must be willing to be godmodded. It's only fair.

Edited by Turos

Turos, you get an up vote.

To be honest, godmodding is really confusing. In the last few posts, I've noticed that some people have been rping dialogue by characters they don't own. Unless its planned out, at least stay away from dialogue. Its confusing and could cause you to make their character go out of character.

I can understand slight actions (we've all done it at some point), but huge actions and dialogue..

I think as we continue building this story, we'll get a better feel for what everyone is hoping to get out of it. I haven't been very good at this, so far. I should have made propositions here before committing my decisions to the RP thread. In a sense, I have been godmodding the plot.

I apologize. I'm still new to this and would be grateful for any pointers and patience with me while I learn to participate. I'll try to remember that I didn't design this game. Venture might have a different direction in mind than me.

Something I have noticed from most if not all players here is a desire to find out the mystery behind it all.

@Venture Mistborn: How much of an overarching plot do you have prepared? Is this more of a linear plot with a specific destination in mind? Or have you created this more as a seed story with an initial concept and the intention to let the players to determine an appropriate destination through roleplay? I believe either has benefits, and leaves plenty of room for fun interpretation and sideplots. From my perspective, I think there's something everyone is looking for: confirmation of our role in the plot.

If I know that the plot is linear, you have given me a bit of time to stretch and get a feel for my own and others' characters to what purpose my characters will serve in the story. Now that we've created a little bit of strife in the world, I think we're ready to move toward plot points in your story outline. It makes sense that Ven and Charden are pointing us to the Gala and Lerasium.

If the plot is more of the seed type, where players discover and create it together, then Ven and Charden's actions should be considered as an equal player's efforts to help create an endpoint in this episode of Cosmere City.

Should we assume that your characters are leading us specifically toward a goal, or is our mission to mix things up completely?

If the former, then I wonder what the purpose of the Lerasium is.

------------------------

What we know, either way:

Arcus is the villain. We have had little exposure to him, a single post. RP and writing a novel are obviously very different, but both share the basic elements of a story. In a novel, the main villain is almost always introduced in the first fifth of a book, and then the results of his plans, behind the scenes usually, come to the forefront. Since Ven is against Arcus, your character has a clear goal in mind.

May I suggest a bit of conflict? You, Venture Mistborn, knowing the real mastermind plot behind Arcus, probably know exactly what he would do to shake things up and create a real bit of danger for everyone. This would be a great wakeup call and would create a beacon for us to focus our efforts on. Whatever it is, it needs to make everyone worried.

If you've read Mistborn: The Final Empire(spoiler):

When an inquisitors slaughter Vin's old crew, it makes everyone very nervous. It means that they are in danger of being found. Later attacks on their old hideout make things more tense.

If you've read Elantris(spoiler):

When the gyorn, Hrathen shows up, Serene realizes that it is a sign of impending invasion. The same thing that happened to Duladel could happen to Kae.

If you've read Warbreaker(spoiler):

Siri is sent to the godking instead of her sister. This makes Vivenna feel horrible and rejected and responsible for her sister.

All of this examples are unforeseen conflicts where the main heroes recognize danger or know something bad could happen. It could be introducing a new criminal organization or army who is taking over a city, or a rogue figure doing things that will make everyone threatened.

Ven seems to be fulfilling the purpose, almost. If you don't mind him potentially dying, then I would suggest him doing something big that would change him from a distant concern (a criminal attacking businessmen) to an immediate concern (a criminal threatening the entire city, or something the heroes all need. Not necessarily attacking the heroes, just yet, but, for example, food supplies once the city becomes locked down, or making us look like criminals somehow. something like that to push us into a tight spot where we have to act.) If you want Ven to become a hero, maybe he knows something about Arcus that he could reveal soon that would make us want to fight as well, for similar reasons, but where Arcus is the one creating the problems. Some doomsday scenario, even.

Again, if you are looking for a more player-driven plot, I'm sure a lot of us would be willing to create some chaos. ;) I just don't want to mess up your plans if you have something in the works.

I don't mean to complain. The adventure so far excites me! I really want to find out what is happening in Cosmere City and get my heroes working on the problem to kick Arcus' back end. Point me in the right direction and let the fun begin!

I also want to apologize for coming across as accusatory to any of you for godmodding. That wasn't my intent at all. I think we all have a lot of creative potential and hope to help set the playing field where we all can have plenty of room to play. Please let me know if I ever offend you. I want to help make this fun, but I only have my own perspective to base my decisions upon. More eyes are better than one... er... two.