The Where Are You From thread

LessThanGeorge

Obviously we love the worlds of the Cosmere, but we could definitely get to know more about the world we live in.

I personally am from the New York area. I live just north of NY City, in a boring town in Westchester County. It's one of the most affluent areas in America, with a high cost of living in terms of rent, gas, insurance, food, pretty much everything. I've always felt that I don't fit in here, as a guy who's been in the lowest income bracket for his entire life. Westchester's residents tend to be on the arrogant side, and I have a superb group of friends, but it's difficult to meet people with whom I really identify. Strangers are not open to meeting new people, and it's hard to engage them in conversation; if I'm looking for a place, and I ask some people walking down the sidewalk, 80% of them wouldn't even respond.

The greatest point in Westchester's favor is its proximity to New York City, without a doubt. NY is a fun, diverse city with excellent skate spots, possibly the best concert scene in the country, as well as more landmarks and attractions than one could hope to see in one visit. It's a short 40-minute train ride away from my town. Never try driving there, though. It's a pure traffic nightmare. Oh, and the pizza is top notch. ;)

I don't often have the luxury of venturing out of NY, so I'd love to know more about where you all come from. Discuss the awesome things about the area in which you reside.

I'm from Orem, UT. For those of you unfamiliar with Happy Valley, this means that whenever Brandon Sanderson releases a new book I only have to drive 15 minutes from my house to get down to the line for the midnight release/signing at BYU.

Yes, you should be jealous about this.

I'm from Orem, UT. For those of you unfamiliar with Happy Valley, this means that whenever Brandon Sanderson releases a new book I only have to drive 15 minutes from my house to get down to the line for the midnight release/signing at BYU.

Yes, you should be jealous about this.

*Spikes some1's memory out and uses Lightweaving to create a disguise*

Yes, I love living so close to BYU. :P

No, I live in Australia which means I have 0 chance of getting down there for a midnight release :( I'm in Adelaide which is really nice, a bit quieter than the other major cities here and the rent's a lot better, plus thanks to timezones we can get books before even the midnight releases in the US mwahahaha!

Win for being Australian.

I also am Australian (surprise, you never would have guessed that... from the first line of this post), but I am from the much superior part of Australia, Sydney known for all of things you know about Australia apart from the outback. Although I also lived in the outback in a mining town called Broken Hill for a few years at the end of primary school/start of high school, and now study in Tasmania the state everyone in Australia loves to hate, I strongly maintain that going to uni in Tassie does not make me a Tasmanian. I am still a respectable New South Welshman, and anyone who tries to argue otherwise is wrong.

All that aside, Tassie is a pretty great place to live if you have a car and enjoy spending time outdoors bushwalking and the like, sadly only one of those is true and I'm stuck dreaming about all the places I'd like to go in Tassie. It also as a state follows that... game (sorry AFL fans its all in fun) AFL... but that's a bit of an Australian in joke, so we'll just leave it at the fact that I marginally prefer AFL to American Football and consider Rugby (either form) vastly superior to both (put together) and (somewhat uncharacteristically for an NSW/Qlder) still nowhere near as good as real Football (which some might know as Soccer). State rivalry for the win.

Edited by dj26792

Upvotes for dj and Voidus for loving football. I'm a Gooner meself ;)

Anyway, I'm from Malaysia. Some of you lot might know it as the nation bordering Singapore. It's... not a place I'd choose to live in, but I was born there and thus, I make the best of what I can. Good food though IMO.

I'm from Warwickshire in the UK, but I've only lived here for about a year. I used to live in Birmingham, which is around 30 miles away from where I live now, and it's definitely a lot better here. I live in the countryside, so hardly anyone passes through here except for the people living in a few houses nearby. The bad thing here is that to see any friends I have to travel for miles, and no one can ever find where I live :D

A very boring backwater redneck town in northern California. Went to school at UCLA which was awesome. Finished there and now I'm home.

Technically I'm "From" a very very tiny (Read: Population 148, but was about 50 when I was there) town in the mountains east of Visalia California. The town is called Badger, and the majority of the population were Hindi, or Hindus, or however you pluralize that.

The town had something like 1 tiny bar/grill, and 1 market/Uhaul rental/Public pool/Gas Station/Resturaunt/Video Rental/Hotel place, which ended up closing down because it didn't do enough business. The most interesting thing that would ever happen would be someones car breaking down, or going off the icy roads into a ditch and my dad and I having to go tow their car out.

My elementary school was K-8, one room school house. There were a total of 9 students there when I was a student, though that number peaked to 13 at one point. I wasn't there much past third grade, we moved and I started fourth grade at a school near where I live now.

North west UK, where it never snows, it just rains. I somehow live in the middle of nowhere in the middle of a village in the middle of nowhere (our house is somehow on the end of a dirt track)...

I do qualify for a British accent, which is sometimes useful to have >.>

Stuck in Logan, Utah until I finish school here. It's about an hour and a half from BYU. It snows pretty much all the time. I think I would prefer living in the Lord Ruler's Scadrial to the frozen wasteland in which I find myself. Anywho, glad to see such a diverse fan-base here!

I live in New Zealand (that country near Australia), in Tauranga a coastal city, moving to Hamilton though for Uni. Both 'cities' are in the North Island and yeah. It's a swell place. A warm place, never gets too cold. Never snows, rains on and off nothing excessive. Hardly anyone I know is into Sanderson though. Just people who I introduce it too. But for an exception, awesomely, my English lecturer and tutor are great fans of Sanderson. Though never got to discuss much with them.

Is there any word on a SA movie? I'd love to see that, and also definitely yes for Shinovar being in NZ! They could do the Horneater homelands as well if anyone ever goes there. :P/>

I'm sure there won't be any talks of SA movie rights until a few more books are out, if not most. The series is too green for any studio to know where it is going, despite our confidence that it will be groundbreakingly good :). Plus there is no way to know how soon the series will be finished yet.

• 2 months later...

I live in Southern Idaho. It's a pretty nice place to live, I guess. Except that the weather can never make up it's mind. It's pretty common (especially in the spring) for it to snow, hail, sleet, pour rain, and be sunny, windy, and cloudy all in the same day. Or the same hour. Although, it's not quite as cold where I live in south central as it is in south eastern Idaho, where I went to school at BYU-I. On a side -note, I'm jealous of all you BYU people. I seriously wish I'd transferred down there when I was transferring colleges...

Anyway. After 20 years in Idaho (my only time not was 6 years in Seattle that I barely remember), it's time for me to get out. I'm thinking back east. New York or DC.....or maybe I'll skip all that and go straight over the pond to London...London would be awesome too. :-)