Story Topic

Silus - Shard of Flame

The drone curves back toward you, the monster is enraged, sprinting as fast as it can with a weakened leg.  Your Cryo Burst makes contact, not quite as effective as the last, only freezing a chunk of the leg.  It stumbles, but is still closing the distance between you and it at a frightening speed.  Your drone flickers and winks out, leaving you with no distractions to fall back on.  You check your omni tool.

Incinerate: Ready

AI Hacking: 5 Seconds

You judge your time before the beast catches you.  You might be able to pull this off with the right timing, but'll be close.

You bring up your pistol, taking shots at the the already weakened leg.  But the leg is a back one and your shots don't connect.

Do you have enough time?

The drone curves back toward you, the monster is enraged, sprinting as fast as it can with a weakened leg.  Your Cryo Burst makes contact, not quite as effective as the last, only freezing a chunk of the leg.  It stumbles, but is still closing the distance between you and it at a frightening speed.  Your drone flickers and winks out, leaving you with no distractions to fall back on.  You check your omni tool.

Incinerate: Ready

AI Hacking: 5 Seconds

You judge your time before the beast catches you.  You might be able to pull this off with the right timing, but'll be close.

You bring up your pistol, taking shots at the the already weakened leg.  But the leg is a back one and your shots don't connect.

Do you have enough time?

Got him.

I fire Overload at the exposed electronics of the weakened leg, followed by a quick Incinerate to another. The sound of pistol shots ring out as the beast continues its charge.

judging by its rate of speed

Incinerate hits, shattering the frozen armor of the monster's leg.  Overload finally brings down the weakened leg.  The beast takes a last second leap, more than enough to crush you from impact alone.  You duck and brace yourself, activating your Hack in the hopes that it's ready.

Blue sparks run through the transformer's blazing yellow eyes, shifting them to green.

In midair the form of the beast shifts and twists back into a plane, barely clearing your head as it lifts into the air and then plunges down again from its damaged wings.  It takes out a row of empty teepees as it skids to a stop.  You let out a breath of relief.

"Look what you've done!"  It's the chieftain, his face red.  "Look what your little battle has done to our village!"  You follow his accusing finger as it points behind you.

The few buildings are smoking, walls torn down.  Several teepees are aflame, with men scrambling to put out the flames with sand.  The entire village is in chaos.

"I knew that letting a Spheremorph stay here would bring trouble.  Monsters, bandits and all sorts of trouble follow you like you're some kind of prize to be won."  His anger had faded into melancholy as he stares at the damaged town.  "I want you out.  Now."

The Slums, Crook of the Plains - Eerongal

The unconscious Bruise bowls over the man with the revolver, sprawling them on the ground.  The gun skitters away.  Your momentum pulls your move towards the man with the sword off a little, you ram into him with your shoulder instead of your sword, knocking him into the alley wall.

You see one of the others scrambling away from the fight, the one the leader referred to as Doc.  The other dives for the the gun.

hurriedly, i make a running-leap towards the man who went for the gun and attempt to knee-drop on to his wrist or elbow to stop him from obtaining it. I keep an eye on Doc, just in case he tries something as he makes his way down the alley.

Market, Crook of the Plains - Ambrosius

"Shock stick, good quality, decent condition," the greasy merchant sniffs at the taser stick, "Definitely not hygienic.  What you pick this outta dung pile?"  Not like he has any room to talk about hygiene with his, well, everything stained in unidentifiable gunk.  But that's just how this place is.  Most markets make an effort to seem wholesome and legitimate, but this is the Crook.  Everyone here has a good portion of bad intentions and know it, why try to look like they don't?  "I'll give you a gold fiver for it."

You could buy yourself a week's worth of food with that, if you wanted to starve yourself, that is.

Wrapped in the silk of his Bladesinger armor, only Ambro's eyes showed, glaring malevolently at the merchant.  Ambro stood off to the side of the stall, thereby seeing both the street and adjacent alley.

"Thats what happens when you pull stuff out of human guts; and unless you want to see exactly how I came by that item, I suggest you raise your buying price before I rip peaces of your organs out of you."

Ambro nods to the blades of his Melodic Bladesinger.  I will sell for no less than triple his offer.  

The merchant gives you a look and then bursts out laughing.  "If I had a fiver for every time someone tried to pull something like that on me I could buy the biggest mansion in Riverheart."  His breath is revolting, and you can see that he has more gaps than teeth from the smile he's giving you.  "The knife is a plus and the getup is good, but we both know that I can't pay you with one in my gut.  How bout I up the offer to a gold and a silver for your troubles?"

The Slums - Eerongal

The hit is solid on the man's forearm, forcing him to release the gun he'd just grabbed.  Definite fracture, hairline at best.  The goon screams, but goes ignored as you look at the scrawny man.  He seems innocuous, but a closer inspection reveals fingers fumbling with a fireburst ball, a one use magic item that'll roast you with a strong enough hit.

Incinerate hits, shattering the frozen armor of the monster's leg.  Overload finally brings down the weakened leg.  The beast takes a last second leap, more than enough to crush you from impact alone.  You duck and brace yourself, activating your Hack in the hopes that it's ready.

Blue sparks run through the transformer's blazing yellow eyes, shifting them to green.

In midair the form of the beast shifts and twists back into a plane, barely clearing your head as it lifts into the air and then plunges down again from its damaged wings.  It takes out a row of empty teepees as it skids to a stop.  You let out a breath of relief.

"Look what you've done!"  It's the chieftain, his face red.  "Look what your little battle has done to our village!"  You follow his accusing finger as it points behind you.

The few buildings are smoking, walls torn down.  Several teepees are aflame, with men scrambling to put out the flames with sand.  The entire village is in chaos.

"I knew that letting a Spheremorph stay here would bring trouble.  Monsters, bandits and all sorts of trouble follow you like you're some kind of prize to be won."  His anger had faded into melancholy as he stares at the damaged town.  "I want you out.  Now."

The merchant gives you a look and then bursts out laughing.  "If I had a fiver for every time someone tried to pull something like that on me I could buy the biggest mansion in Riverheart."  His breath is revolting, and you can see that he has more gaps than teeth from the smile he's giving you.  "The knife is a plus and the getup is good, but we both know that I can't pay you with one in my gut.  How bout I up the offer to a gold and a silver for your troubles?"

"you know what? perhaps I'll save myself the trouble of bargaining with you and sell your organs."

Ambro reveals his scaly skin and slashes the Merchant's throat with the Second Tone Silence, to cut off any shouts.  "Listen, give me 3 gold fivers for it and I won't eat you. Understand?  Just nod or shake your head, you can't speak anymore."

Ambro readies First Tone Pain, wary of any guards this merchant may have.

The merchant's eyes fill with horrified confusion at your words.  He gasps for air but gets none.  He grimaces in rage and spits a bloody glob in your face before he dies, collapsing behind the ramshackle stall.

You glance around, down the alley next to the stall and around at back corner of the market where you stand.  A couple of people are back here.  One appears to be passed out drunk and the other is a homeless man who is going through a leather pouch, gleefully rubbing coins together.  Neither cares about you.  Murder is just one of the many things the Crook trades in.

Machine Desert - Jay'El

"Unless you've got a form that can rebuild structures from debris I really doubt it," he sighs, "but I suppose you can stick around long enough to get rid of that carcass."  He gestures to the tigerplane, which may or may not actually be dead, but, regardless, is not going to hurt anyone anytime soon.  "That's what your kind does, right?  Go from place to place fighting monsters and taking whatever items they've got.  As much of scavengers as we are.  But they act like they own the whole world cuz of that frakkin tech."

The Slums - Eerongal

The hit is solid on the man's forearm, forcing him to release the gun he'd just grabbed.  Definite fracture, hairline at best.  The goon screams, but goes ignored as you look at the scrawny man.  He seems innocuous, but a closer inspection reveals fingers fumbling with a fireburst ball, a one use magic item that'll roast you with a strong enough hit.

I quickly jump up to my feet and dash as fast as my legs will carry me towards this so-called "Doc". Leaping the last few feet, i attempt to tackle him hoping to knock the fireburst ball out of his hand before he can cause any damage to anyone with it, himself included since he seemed to be rather unskilled in his fumbling with it.

He yelps, trying to scramble out of the way.  Your tackle is a little off, causing both of you to roll, but it isn't hard to snatch the device from him and shove him off.  As you start to get up you hear a click.  You turn to see the man you slammed into the wall.  He's holding his ribs and there's a dribble of blood from his mouth, but he's also pointing the gun at your face.  He looks mad.

He yelps, trying to scramble out of the way.  Your tackle is a little off, causing both of you to roll, but it isn't hard to snatch the device from him and shove him off.  As you start to get up you hear a click.  You turn to see the man you slammed into the wall.  He's holding his ribs and there's a dribble of blood from his mouth, but he's also pointing the gun at your face.  He looks mad.

Staring hard at the man, i allow a wry smile to cross my face. With a slight air of amusement, i state plainly "It seems we are at a standoff." and between my thumb and forefinger, i lift the recently acquired fireburst ball so as to be in plain view. I continue, "Now, the question here is whose aim is better. Mine or yours. And, of course, whose needs to be better." I roll the burst ball down into my palm in case i need to toss it quickly.

I muse to the man "Are you certain you could drop me so that I cannot retaliate in anyway? And are you certain you could survive this?"

Wetting my lips, i continue, "Now, i've tried to inflict as little wounds as necessary to you and yours, and i'm not trying to kill you all mercilessly. So perhaps we can arrive at an understanding. You and any one left conscious enough to leave now can do so. I won't stop you. Any who are wounded here but still alive, i will tend to. You and anyone else you desire can come back for them in 20 minutes in tact and alive. Tell whoever you report to whatever lies and deceits you want, but I recommend you either leave town or change your ways, because next time you might not be so lucky. And there will be a next time. Things here are changing for you and yours."

Cautiously, during my monologue, i eye the rest of his fellows to make sure none show signs of stirring or provocation, and let my gaze fall on him to drive the final point home.

The merchant's eyes fill with horrified confusion at your words.  He gasps for air but gets none.  He grimaces in rage and spits a bloody glob in your face before he dies, collapsing behind the ramshackle stall.

You glance around, down the alley next to the stall and around at back corner of the market where you stand.  A couple of people are back here.  One appears to be passed out drunk and the other is a homeless man who is going through a leather pouch, gleefully rubbing coins together.  Neither cares about you.  Murder is just one of the many things the Crook trades in.

With a manic chuckle, Ambro looks down at the knife. I forgot it had a blade. oops.  ;D  Ambro begins looting the corpse and stall, picking up his shock stick while doing so.  After the looting, Ambro looks and listens for anything interesting to do. you know, I could have just used Geass on him.

The money carried by the merchant is pathetic, there wasn't even enough here to give you what he offered.  An obvious scam.  You find a silver and a bronze fiver.  The shock stick is still greasy from where the man gripped it.  Blood is splattered over everything you pick up, the smell heavy in the air.  If the ambient smell wasn't already awful in this side market it would noticeable.

You look around, searching for anything of interest.  You can hear faint echoes down the alley, the sound of a scuffle of some sort and then barely audible words.

"And there will be a next time.  Things here are changing for you and yours."

Slums, Crook of the Plains - Eerongal

There is rage in this man's eyes, his teeth grind in frustration.  He sees the stalemate he's in.

"I am so stormin' tired of you Spheremorphs.  It's bad enough that I gotta put up with my boss and his delusions of running this town, but I've got someone like you trying to mess up what was s'posed to be an easy job outta some stupid hero complex."  He looks the gun in his hand over, a hopeless look in his eye, like he might just do something drastic.  The pause stretches on before he throws the gun down and limps away.  "I'm done."

The others give each other a look.  The leader shifts the unconscious Bruise off of him with a groan.  "I don't know 'bout you, but I'm not getting killed over this.  We'll just the boss we killed him and be done with it.  Got it?"  The others nod.  "Now lets get Bruise outta here."  The remaining men pick up their enormous colleague and manage to drag him away, except for the one with the broken arm, who makes a rude gesture at you before following.

The only people left in the alley are you, the man they'd been threatening who is now curled up behind a lump of rotted wooden boxes, and Doc, who looks too stunned to do anything.

The money carried by the merchant is pathetic, there wasn't even enough here to give you what he offered.  An obvious scam.  You find a silver and a bronze fiver.  The shock stick is still greasy from where the man gripped it.  Blood is splattered over everything you pick up, the smell heavy in the air.  If the ambient smell wasn't already awful in this side market it would noticeable.

You look around, searching for anything of interest.  You can hear faint echoes down the alley, the sound of a scuffle of some sort and then barely audible words.

"And there will be a next time.  Things here are changing for you and yours."

Ambro chuckles again. It seems that I wasn't the only one having fun.  Ambro takes a moment to switch from Bladesinger to Baseline then to Geass.  Wouldn't want to look like a threat now would I.  Ambro walks to where the voice originated, ready to activate the Geass, while packing the loot in a knot of leather bands.

Slums, Crook of the Plains - Eerongal

There is rage in this man's eyes, his teeth grind in frustration.  He sees the stalemate he's in.

"I am so stormin' tired of you Spheremorphs.  It's bad enough that I gotta put up with my boss and his delusions of running this town, but I've got someone like you trying to mess up what was s'posed to be an easy job outta some stupid hero complex."  He looks the gun in his hand over, a hopeless look in his eye, like he might just do something drastic.  The pause stretches on before he throws the gun down and limps away.  "I'm done."

The others give each other a look.  The leader shifts the unconscious Bruise off of him with a groan.  "I don't know 'bout you, but I'm not getting killed over this.  We'll just the boss we killed him and be done with it.  Got it?"  The others nod.  "Now lets get Bruise outta here."  The remaining men pick up their enormous colleague and manage to drag him away, except for the one with the broken arm, who makes a rude gesture at you before following.

The only people left in the alley are you, the man they'd been threatening who is now curled up behind a lump of rotted wooden boxes, and Doc, who looks too stunned to do anything.

Lifting myself up to standing, i set about the process of switching to my champion form, using the time in between to take a few slow, calming breaths.

i run my gaze over Doc for a moment, and say "So what's your story, 'Doc'?" before holding out my hand to help him to his feet.

Slums, Crook of the Plains - Ambrosius

As you approach a side alley you are passed by a pair of men carrying another, distinctly larger, man between them, with a man cradling his arm behind them.  The last man throws you a dirty look as he passes.  You pass them and look down a side alley after seeing a flash of light.  You see a man curled up by a pile of boxes, a shivering man with spectacles sitting against one wall, and a man in armor standing in the middle of the alley.  The sight is a strange one, and gets stranger when you see the Spheremount on the armored man's chest.

Eerongal

"I-I-"  Doc stutters, and shuts down completely after a glance at the head of the alley.  You turn to see a man with strange, black and red hair and many strips of leather bound around him.  He looks around at the alley and you can spot the familiar shape of a Spheremount on one arm.

Machine Desert - Jay'El

"Unless you've got a form that can rebuild structures from debris I really doubt it," he sighs, "but I suppose you can stick around long enough to get rid of that carcass."  He gestures to the tigerplane, which may or may not actually be dead, but, regardless, is not going to hurt anyone anytime soon.  "That's what your kind does, right?  Go from place to place fighting monsters and taking whatever items they've got.  As much of scavengers as we are.  But they act like they own the whole world cuz of that frakkin tech."

Eerongal

"I-I-"  Doc stutters, and shuts down completely after a glance at the head of the alley.  You turn to see a man with strange, black and red hair and many strips of leather bound around him.  He looks around at the alley and you can spot the familiar shape of a Spheremount on one arm.

Cocking an eyebrow at the sight of the spheremount, i tighten my grip on my weapon slightly.

(i'm gonna go ahead and make an assumption here on timing. Feel free to be all "Bad eerongal!" if im assuming too much control)

"Can I.....Help you?" i state calmly. Almost at the exact same moment, coincidentally, the shift into my champion form completes itself, letting off the likely familiar flash to the stranger's eyes.

Cocking an eyebrow at the sight of the spheremount, i tighten my grip on my weapon slightly.

"Can I.....Help you?" i state calmly. Almost at the exact same moment, coincidentally, the shift into my champion form completes itself, letting off the likely familiar flash to the stranger's eyes.

Ambro notices the tightening grip on the hammer, and the slight flick of the eyes at Ambro's spheremount.  The armored man flashes with the light of a Transition. "Can I.....Help you?" asks the man.

Ambro looks around the alley, noticing the slight blood splatter and the men cowering on the ground.  Ambro replies, " Sure, I was looking for some...fun, and it seemed like you were starting an interrogation.  I have a formsphere that is particularly good for that, if you would like my help?"  Ambro scratches at his leather bands, revealing patches of scaly red skin.  "what say you Don Quijote?"

Ambro notices the tightening grip on the hammer, and the slight flick of the eyes at Ambro's spheremount.  The armored man flashes with the light of a Transition. "Can I.....Help you?" asks the man.

Ambro looks around the alley, noticing the slight blood splatter and the men cowering on the ground.  Ambro replies, " Sure, I was looking for some...fun, and it seemed like you were starting an interrogation.  I have a formsphere that is particularly good for that, if you would like my help?"  Ambro scratches at his leather bands, revealing patches of scaly red skin.  "what say you Don Quijote?"

Eying the newcomer up and down, i weigh the possibility that this is some kind of trap or trick.

Those thugs couldn't have fetched someone that quick, and anyone who was covering them would have shown themselves by now....

"what the hell," i mutter under my breath and nod, then aloud, "all right."

Turning and pointing to Doc i state, "This fellow. Find out who he works for and what their goals are. No need to rough him up beyond what is necessary, he may not have even be a willing participant"

With that said, i proceed to kneel over the huddled figure of the fellow they were beating on and set about healing him with my lay on hands.

Eying the newcomer up and down, i weigh the possibility that this is some kind of trap or trick.

Those thugs couldn't have fetched someone that quick, and anyone who was covering them would have shown themselves by now....

"what the hell," i mutter under my breath and nod, then aloud, "all right."

Turning and pointing to Doc i state, "This fellow. Find out who he works for and what their goals are. No need to rough him up beyond what is necessary, he may not have even be a willing participant"

With that said, i proceed to kneel over the huddled figure of the fellow they were beating on and set about healing him with my lay on hands.

Ambro smiled, "Oh no, physical contact is completely unnecessary.  Have you ever heard of Geass?"

Ambro turns to the man indicated by the armored man.  Looking the man straight in the eyes, Ambro activates the Geass with the command, "Tell me who you work for, how many people work for your boss and what are your boss's goals."

Doc's eyes widen and then glaze over.  "I work for Destron, he's one of the Spheremorphs who runs this city.  He's got a good chunk of the city working for him in some way or another, but he's got three other Spheremorphs under his command, making his the largest coalition in the city.  He didn't tell the squad leader, but he told me that we were to be bait for the freelance Spheremorphs that had just arrived in town.  That would be you.  What he wants you for is information that I'm not privy to."

His eyes clear up and he shakes his head to clear it.  He looks down and his eyes widen.  Smoke has been billowing up around your feet as you were listening to him.  The smoke rapidly climbs you and rushes into your mouths and noses, choking you.  You rapidly start to fade into unconsciousness, but before you do you see a figure walk in front of you.  It is the man the thugs were beating.  He carries a candle in one hand, a stream of smoke connecting it to you.

"Bravo, Spheremorphs.  Especially you, Eerongal," the man laughs, "but for now, sleep.  We will talk later."  He kneels down and looks into your faces with a smile.  "We have important matters to discuss."

The smile is the last thing you see before passing out.

Unknown Location, Crook of the Plains - Eerongal

You hear a voice, muffled and distance, but getting clearer.  "That's it, he seems to be coming around.  Now the other one."  You open your eyes blearily from the dreamless sleep that comes with being knocked out.  It's all a blur, but you can see a white robe trimmed in red, the typical garb of a White Mage.  Your head starts to clear more rapidly and you look around.  You sit up and are surprised to find that you're not bound.  You feel at your chest and find that your Spheremount is gone along with your armor.

A glance around the room reveals it to be an office, you are lying on a couch along one wall.  There are two, no, five people in the room.  One is the White Mage, and one is the man from the alley, the Spheremorph with the black and red hair.  There are two men who look like guards on either side of the room, eyes attentive like soldiers, Spheremounts on their right shoulders.  The last takes a moment to recognize, but you realize that it's the other man from the alley.  He had seemed like a victim, but he wasn't.  But there is something else familiar about him.  A distant sense of recognition, but it stays elusive for the moment.

He now wears a military like uniform, like by virtue of not being for any military you have ever seen.  He now wears his Spheremount openly on his right shoulder like the two guards.  In fact, their uniforms are practically identical but for the added honors on the familiar man's shoulders.

You hear a groan and see that your fellow captive is now awake, being administered to by the White Mage.

"Nice to see you are well, Eerongal.  It would be a shame if there had been any permanent damage.  I could have killed you but I didn't, be sure to keep that in mind."

Village, Machine Desert - Jay'El

An inspection of the fallen monster shows an out of place component just behind the head.  You unattach it and hold it up to the light, seeing if you can discern any use it might have.

"That's a rare find, there."  The voice is sudden and close.  "Take that to the right person, probably in the Crook, and you could craft yourself a decent component for a Morphing Grid."  It's the Chieftain, his looming presence combined with his sudden appearance is startling.  You are confused by his advice.  He flashes a small smile.  "There's a reason I don't like Spheremorphs in my town."

Village, Machine Desert - Jay'El

An inspection of the fallen monster shows an out of place component just behind the head.  You unattach it and hold it up to the light, seeing if you can discern any use it might have.

"That's a rare find, there."  The voice is sudden and close.  "Take that to the right person, probably in the Crook, and you could craft yourself a decent component for a Morphing Grid."  It's the Chieftain, his looming presence combined with his sudden appearance is startling.  You are confused by his advice.  He flashes a small smile.  "There's a reason I don't like Spheremorphs in my town."

Doc's eyes widen and then glaze over.  "I work for Destron, he's one of the Spheremorphs who runs this city.  He's got a good chunk of the city working for him in some way or another, but he's got three other Spheremorphs under his command, making his the largest coalition in the city.  He didn't tell the squad leader, but he told me that we were to be bait for the freelance Spheremorphs that had just arrived in town.  That would be you.  What he wants you for is information that I'm not privy to."

His eyes clear up and he shakes his head to clear it.  He looks down and his eyes widen.  Smoke has been billowing up around your feet as you were listening to him.  The smoke rapidly climbs you and rushes into your mouths and noses, choking you.  You rapidly start to fade into unconsciousness, but before you do you see a figure walk in front of you.  It is the man the thugs were beating.  He carries a candle in one hand, a stream of smoke connecting it to you.

"Bravo, Spheremorphs.  Especially you, Eerongal," the man laughs, "but for now, sleep.  We will talk later."  He kneels down and looks into your faces with a smile.  "We have important matters to discuss."

The smile is the last thing you see before passing out.

Unknown Location, Crook of the Plains - Eerongal

You hear a voice, muffled and distance, but getting clearer.  "That's it, he seems to be coming around.  Now the other one."  You open your eyes blearily from the dreamless sleep that comes with being knocked out.  It's all a blur, but you can see a white robe trimmed in red, the typical garb of a White Mage.  Your head starts to clear more rapidly and you look around.  You sit up and are surprised to find that you're not bound.  You feel at your chest and find that your Spheremount is gone along with your armor.

A glance around the room reveals it to be an office, you are lying on a couch along one wall.  There are two, no, five people in the room.  One is the White Mage, and one is the man from the alley, the Spheremorph with the black and red hair.  There are two men who look like guards on either side of the room, eyes attentive like soldiers, Spheremounts on their right shoulders.  The last takes a moment to recognize, but you realize that it's the other man from the alley.  He had seemed like a victim, but he wasn't.  But there is something else familiar about him.  A distant sense of recognition, but it stays elusive for the moment.

He now wears a military like uniform, like by virtue of not being for any military you have ever seen.  He now wears his Spheremount openly on his right shoulder like the two guards.  In fact, their uniforms are practically identical but for the added honors on the familiar man's shoulders.

You hear a groan and see that your fellow captive is now awake, being administered to by the White Mage.

"Nice to see you are well, Eerongal.  It would be a shame if there had been any permanent damage.  I could have killed you but I didn't, be sure to keep that in mind."

Pressing my hands to my face and shaking my head to clear out the cloudiness, i look at the man with a hard glare. "Of course it's easy to kill someone when you use dirty tricks not fit for even a dog, Destron, is it?" i practically growl at him. Glancing over, i take notice of the spheremorph in the alley who helped me at the end there.

"Why do you have him?," I ask harshly, "Any of your goons can tell you he didn't help me. In fact, you yourself were around at the time he showed up, and merely offered to help because it looked like i was having 'fun'. You have no reason to drag others into your beef with me."

I glance again over at the groggy Ambro, "Hey, you ok?"