Story Topic

Silus - Shard of Flame

Ambrosius

Ambro nods. "fair enough."

heh. That will have to do for now.

"I told you my family's history, so you know something of what we are. What I need help with is to ensure the future of someone. My daughter.

"Neither her nor her mother know who or what I am. Last I checked, the thieve's curse hadn't set in. I intend to break the curse before it appears. I won't have her life tainted by it. Now in order to remove the curse two things must happen. First, the afflicted people must die. Normally, by this point the curse wouldn't matter since everyone would be dead but the curse could still resurface on her. In order to fully remove the curse the second condition must be met. Killing the bloodline of the one who laid the curse. The first part would be fine with most people, it is the second part that causes problems."

Ambro looks away, thinking for a moment.

"My Problem is this. In order to remove the curse, the afflicted ones must be killed before the ones who laid the curse. Failure to do so could make the curse come back tenfold. I am one of the afflicted, that means I must die before my enemies. That is where you come in. I will kill of most of them, then you kill me and finish it."

"If it ever becomes necessary, take a serpent grid, any will do but my grid is one, and go to calm beach. There will be a box made of starsteel. Insert the grid into the slot and inside you find information about my daughter. Please destroy it. You can see why I demanded those vows."

Top stands in stunned silence for a moment.

Despite the path he chooses, this man is no theif at heart. A rogue, perhaps, but not a theif.

Top feels a brief moment of hatred for the circumstances that had kept this man from being all he could have been. Fortunately, it passes quickly.

"If Top may be so bold, why is this curse so malificent in your eyes? He has seen the patches of skin marred by it, but surely that is not such a bad thing?"

What connotation do those marks hold...?

Edited by The Frostbourne

Ambrosius

"Long ago, police forces would brand an X or a V into the skin of the hand of those who had broken the Order of Law. Since then the mark has changed but the idea had not. These marks are the latest incarnation of that stigma. You see the reactions of the shop keepers, of the ones who keep order. What sort of life could a little girl live, growing up with that. I can't even let myself be known to her, lest others suspect her true heritage."

Ambro grins, but there is a strained tone to it.

"This is all I can do. I cannot change my ways, for the world has already decided for me."

Edited by Emeralis00

Just Pre-Match, Round One. Waterfall Arena.

This place unnerves these SphereMorphs, rookie and veteran alike. This is naturally to my advantage. Perhaps some sort of riot against the leaders of this competition will give me a chance to quietly -

I crumple the paper that holds those dangerous words, regretting already my desicion to try keeping a journal once more. I would have to burn it later.

Even in my "private thoughts", I do nothing but plot and scheme. Surely there exists something more? Though evidence is not in favor, judging soley by experie-

I was doing it again. I would need to learn to control that some day.

I sweep my gaze around the area once more, searching for anyone keyed up or nervous. I unfortunately was unable to see my competition beforehand, so I would be going in blind. I hate nothing more than that.

I leave my position near the wall, as far as possible from any door, and meander toward my entry point for the fight.

Blending in to such a motley assortment of men and women will be difficult enough to be a waste of time... Let's see. Cliché tough-yet-kind sounds like the way to go for now.

I add a bit of hop to my step, and plaster a small smile on my face. I glance once more at the few characters I had singled out as most likely to be my opponent, calculating their weaknesses. Hopefully, it will be one of them. If not... Going in blind again.

Ambrosius

"Long ago, police forces would brand an X or a V into the skin of the hand of those who had broken the Order of Law. Since then the mark has changed but the idea had not. These marks are the latest incarnation of that stigma. You see the reactions of the shop keepers, of the ones who keep order. What sort of life could a little girl live, growing up with that. I can't even let myself be known to her, lest others suspect her true heritage."

Ambro grins, but there is a strained tone to it.

"This is all I can do. I cannot change my ways, for the world has already decided for me."

Top eyes Ambrosius for a moment.

There is never only one way to get rid of this sort of thing. He wants this, Top thinks. Some sort of redemption, perhaps?

"This would all occur shortly after this competition, correct? They will need to be sure and stay together, then, so that they can begin once this ends."

Top begins moving once more, back to the arenas.

"Top assumes that his fight will be soon. He would like to be near, just in case."

Hopefully he does not question the fact that he has given the important part of his life story to Top, while recieving next to nothing in return...

Ambrosius

His comments stray on the unintelligible side. Unfortunate.

"Care to explain what you mean by that? Which 'they' are you referring to?"

Ambro follows Top.

"I hope you don't mind if I watch your match, I am curious to see how you fight."

I want to know what sort of piece for the board I have picked up. Almost all the pieces are set, then I can make the first move.

"Ah, Top apologizes. Some of his words can become difficult to follow at times. He meant to suggest that he and you should avoid losing each other, so that, once this competition ends, you and he may begin the process of which you speak."

Top takes his time, glancing in the different rooms as he passes, though entering none of them. "Top does not mind at all."

This man obviously hopes to use Top. Top is content with that for the moment. Something to occupy his time and mind is no bad thing...

• 1 month later...
Keep pours River a glass of a dark red wine and listens to your conversation for a bit before chiming in. “You two seem more alike than you make yourselves out to be. I mean, you’re both Spheremorphs, for one. There’s maybe two hundred of those in the entire world. It’s bound to create some sort of bond, yeah?” The two of you look at him curiously, and he turns to clean some of the glasses. “Just the thoughts of a Barkeep who’s been around longer than either of you. More to drink?”

River:

I resist the urge to roll my eyes and tell the Barkeep off. In Riverheart, such a man would never dare to intrude into a conversation among his betters. This time, however, I decide to hold my tongue. My experience with Gaston has chastened me. I've begun to realize I'm in a strange place, with different rules than I am used to playing to. For all I know, this Barkeep could be a prominent nobleman or a ranking official. The people who put this thing together are far more powerful than I had initially imagined. I have no idea how much they are capable of, and that ignorance is one I resolve to rectify as soon as possible, before it is too late.

"The wine will be good, kind sir. And thank-you for your thoughts. You may be on to something." There, hopefully that will do for empty courtesy. At least now I know the Barkeep will be listening into our conversation. I should have expected as much anyways, but it's always nice to know for certain. I eye Eerongal, trying to discern what is going on inside his head. "What do you think of that, my Paladin friend? Are we really so different? You've admitted you would go to extremes to get what you want, in this case, the safety of your friends, and you seem convinced I would not hesitate to do the same. Why have you cast me as the villain in your story? Furthermore, what do you really know about those companions you are protecting? What makes them trustworthy and me deceitful? Your leather-bound friend hardly seems the type I would expect one of your moral standards to associate with. What's his story? Or do you even know?"

River:

I resist the urge to roll my eyes and tell the Barkeep off. In Riverheart, such a man would never dare to intrude into a conversation among his betters. This time, however, I decide to hold my tongue. My experience with Gaston has chastened me. I've begun to realize I'm in a strange place, with different rules than I am used to playing to. For all I know, this Barkeep could be a prominent nobleman or a ranking official. The people who put this thing together are far more powerful than I had initially imagined. I have no idea how much they are capable of, and that ignorance is one I resolve to rectify as soon as possible, before it is too late.

"The wine will be good, kind sir. And thank-you for your thoughts. You may be on to something." There, hopefully that will do for empty courtesy. At least now I know the Barkeep will be listening into our conversation. I should have expected as much anyways, but it's always nice to know for certain. I eye Eerongal, trying to discern what is going on inside his head. "What do you think of that, my Paladin friend? Are we really so different? You've admitted you would go to extremes to get what you want, in this case, the safety of your friends, and you seem convinced I would not hesitate to do the same. Why have you cast me as the villain in your story? Furthermore, what do you really know about those companions you are protecting? What makes them trustworthy and me deceitful? Your leather-bound friend hardly seems the type I would expect one of your moral standards to associate with. What's his story? Or do you even know?"

Eerongal:

Glancing askance at River, i start, "I suppose, in some ways at least, perhaps there are similarities. I distrust you because of our circumstance of meeting, which was less than favorable for my trust of you, to be sure. As for my companions, I'm certainly not very well acquainted with them, I'll admit, however, the whole reason they are in this mess is squarely my fault. Regardless of their character, their protection falls specifically within my duty to uphold. It's less a matter of honor, and more a matter of following through with what I started."

Turning to Keep, I answer one of his questions, "As far as similarities, Keep, my friend, simply owning an expensive bauble is no more a basis of camaraderie than a cat and dog who happen to be in possession of identical slabs of meat. If simply owning a sphere made one into a good person, then I would advocate a sphere for every man, woman and child. Unfortunately, this is not the case. A spheremorph is no different from the man he was prior to donning the grid, for whatever good or ill this indicates. As for drinks, i think I have had plenty for the moment, thank you."

• 6 months later...

River:

The more I speak to this man, the more it becomes clear to me that he is exactly the sort of person I detest, thought I suspected as much already. Where does he get his high moral standards? Who declared him a god with the power to decide who is good and evil? His convictions, so full of ignorance and arrogance continue to remind me of Arthur. I decide to myself that, when the time comes to face this fool in the ring, I will relish showing him how much his morality is worth in the real world.

"I see you have made up your mind about me," I say slowly. "You priests and paladins are all the same, preaching about morality and goodness, and are so quick to label people in broad strokes of black and white. You know nothing of my past, what I've been through, or what has made me what I am. You only see someone who, in the two days you have known me, has erred in the side of caution and has been slow to trust others who come before him fully armed. You talk of good and evil, but what of redemption or forgiveness?"

I swirl my wine in my glass, staring into the ruby red depths. "Since we are being honest, however, I suppose that I shall return your sentiments. There is no one less trustworthy than a man who follows his morals without question. People are predictable, but morals seem to be constantly changing. As such, I'm afraid that, until you prove me wrong, I shall be forced to trust you even less than you trust me." I flick my gaze up again, trying to catch Eerongal's eye. "However, I agree that trust is not entirely necessary in an alliance. This is a dangerous place we find ourselves in, and any ally could prove useful. If you are not opposed to working with someone you do not trust, than I suppose an uneasy alliance will have to do."