The Pony Invasion

Young Bard

Portland's the worst, though. Took me days to catch up.

On topic,

I've watched the Episodes that are split in two, the ones that focus on a main antagonist instead of general stuff. I've liked those and I think that people commonly mistake the normal episodes for "not fun." I haven't watched enough of those to judge. But I generally like the show. Not trying to change people's opinions, but it's not really bad. I like some of it, and a bunch of people on the WHIO subforums take part in the ponification and don't watch the show. It's a pretty seperate thing.

Edited by Winter Cloud

A Brony and a non-brony walked into 17th Shard.

They discussed things in a civilized manner and respected each others views.

This is why 17ths is the best. :D

You know, if I had started the thread it would have been the cult of the Sticks or the very friendly people who pass out cookies that I would have called out. (now that I think about it, you ponies may be the normal ones!) :D

Edited by the Gleeman

First of all, I'm glad I didn't offend anyone with my post. I was worried I might accidentally cause someone to take offense.

Second of all, I apologize if my use of the word 'childish' was out of place. I didn't mean to imply in any way that children were in any way inferior to anybody else, or that children were unable to comprehend anything that is of a more serious note.

That being said, I'll just briefly run through the main points comments have made.

"MLP is a fun, upbeat program in a time when serious, dark, and gloomy shows are prevalent." \ "It makes me laugh"

I can easily relate to this. Once again, I'm not trying to start a hate campaign for MLP, I was just curious as to what people saw in it. I myself enjoy a number of comedies, Blackadder II being one of my all-time favourites. I can completely understand why someone would want to put their feet up and relax for a while. I'm just surprised at some peoples choices, that's all. 

"I enjoy the character arcs."

I can't really comment on this, seeing as I haven't watched it continually. If you find it interesting , go for it! At the end of the day, you're the one watching it.

"I get to understand the inside jokes. (Mainly as part of WHiO)"

I find this a less compelling argument for MLP. While it can be an added bonus to those who watch the show, I generally don't think you should watch a show just because your friends think it's great, and they talk about it. Of course, feel free to try an episode, why make yourself sit through it? That being said, the person who posted this said they did find it quite entertaining in it's own right. However, I am simply trying to say that simply because inside jokes are made about it does not make the show in any way better or worse in that regard.

"There is lots of subculture, fanfic, etc..."

Similar story to the one above. Yes, while the fact that there is a lot of fanfic on the internet is usually indicative that lots of people like the show, therefore it is a good show. But there are exceptions to this rule. I have an example. The Twilight Saga. Need I say more? 

"It leaves room for interpretation & imagination."

Personally, I always prefer stories where everything gets resolved neatly. You discover why the piece of chalk was lying on the ground at the murder scene at the end of the case. I love wracking my brains, thinking about how everything ties together. And I find it a win-win situation at the end. If I get it, I feel good about myself for getting it. If I didn't get it, I feel impressed at the author/scriptwriter for having a clever, unexpected resolution to the events. With unresolved endings, I generally find myself dissatisfied. What? That's it? But... What about that time where... How was that possible? Aren't you going to explain it to me???

At the end of the day, if you enjoy MLP, you're the one watching it, and if you're enjoying it, then go ahead. Personally, I intend to continue my usual, pony free lifestyle.

Well, this seems as good a time as any to introduce a pony avatar.  Been meaning to do it for a while.

Really, a lot of folks already said a lot of gloriously eloquent stuff.  I'll simply append that in addition to all of that good stuff, I find MLP to be a surprisingly subtle show.  Some older cartoons had the adult jokes sail straight over the kids' head and smack the parents right between the eyes.  MLP takes more of a tack of sneaking them in on the sly.  You can find them, but you have to be paying attention, and you'll often find that other people catch references that sneak right on by you the first time.  I enjoy the goofy humor, I appreciate the pony ethics tack, and I really do like keeping an eye out for another incarnation of the Doctor snuck in as Doctor Whooves.  We've had at least 1, 3, 4, and 10 so far.

Ponies are cool. Deal with it! :)

Eleven is right there with you:

Ponies%20are%20cool.jpg

First of all, I'm glad I didn't offend anyone with my post. I was worried I might accidentally cause someone to take offense.

Second of all, I apologize if my use of the word 'childish' was out of place. I didn't mean to imply in any way that children were in any way inferior to anybody else, or that children were unable to comprehend anything that is of a more serious note.

That being said, I'll just briefly run through the main points comments have made.

"MLP is a fun, upbeat program in a time when serious, dark, and gloomy shows are prevalent." \ "It makes me laugh"

I can easily relate to this. Once again, I'm not trying to start a hate campaign for MLP, I was just curious as to what people saw in it. I myself enjoy a number of comedies, Blackadder II being one of my all-time favourites. I can completely understand why someone would want to put their feet up and relax for a while. I'm just surprised at some peoples choices, that's all.

"I enjoy the character arcs."

I can't really comment on this, seeing as I haven't watched it continually. If you find it interesting , go for it! At the end of the day, you're the one watching it.

"I get to understand the inside jokes. (Mainly as part of WHiO)"

I find this a less compelling argument for MLP. While it can be an added bonus to those who watch the show, I generally don't think you should watch a show just because your friends think it's great, and they talk about it. Of course, feel free to try an episode, why make yourself sit through it? That being said, the person who posted this said they did find it quite entertaining in it's own right. However, I am simply trying to say that simply because inside jokes are made about it does not make the show in any way better or worse in that regard.

"There is lots of subculture, fanfic, etc..."

Similar story to the one above. Yes, while the fact that there is a lot of fanfic on the internet is usually indicative that lots of people like the show, therefore it is a good show. But there are exceptions to this rule. I have an example. The Twilight Saga. Need I say more?

"It leaves room for interpretation & imagination."

Personally, I always prefer stories where everything gets resolved neatly. You discover why the piece of chalk was lying on the ground at the murder scene at the end of the case. I love wracking my brains, thinking about how everything ties together. And I find it a win-win situation at the end. If I get it, I feel good about myself for getting it. If I didn't get it, I feel impressed at the author/scriptwriter for having a clever, unexpected resolution to the events. With unresolved endings, I generally find myself dissatisfied. What? That's it? But... What about that time where... How was that possible? Aren't you going to explain it to me???

At the end of the day, if you enjoy MLP, you're the one watching it, and if you're enjoying it, then go ahead. Personally, I intend to continue my usual, pony free lifestyle.

One thing I'll point out, though, is that none of the comments about inside jokes or friends who watched the show were really submitted as arguments in favor of watching it; rather, they were personal reasons why people chose to watch the show in the first place. I wouldn't submit my personal experience with depression and MLP as a reason for watching the show simply because it may not work for everyone. Some people with depression might find themselves in an even worse state after watching an episode, for a variety of reasons.

If you don't like MLP and have no desire to watch it, I won't try to convince you otherwise. My mom tried to get me to read Amish romance for years, and I found those books unspeakably dull. MLP, like Amish romance, isn't for everyone, and there's no point wasting time on it if it isn't your thing. :)

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Yes, it exists. 

themercy.jpg 5049212ef16b5.preview-699.jpg

9780736946162_centered_283x441.jpg     abby_finds_her_calling-192x300.jpg    amish.jpg

I'm not entirely sure why, either.

ljfrh.jpg 

...Though in all seriousness, I can really understand why that would be a thing. I can even think of a lot of people who that would appeal to, either for rustic,back-to-nature soft romance, or people who might be fans of a certain... 50 Shades book, looking for stuff

My god, my comment went from Amish Ponies to discussing the intricaies and appeal of Amish Romance, how is this my life?

My god, my comment went from Amish Ponies to discussing the intricaies and appeal of Amish Romance, how is this my life?

Tell me about it. One moment, you are full of hopes and dreams; the next you are waking up hungover in an alleyway in Atlanta after binge-posting about Ponies. 

Tell me about it. One moment, you are full of hopes and dreams; the next you are waking up hungover in an alleyway in Atlanta after binge-posting about Ponies. 

At least you woke up with both your kidneys. I woke up with a single kidney and an internal tape recorder that plays Pinkie's "Smile, Smile, Smile" song whenever I press my belly button.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. . . It seems this thread struck a chord with us Ponies. 

The original list of Pony profiles:

1 - Kobold King. A steampunk themed pony image.

2 - TwiLyghtSansSparkles. A MLP image.

3 - Brandon Sanderson himself. (Thankfully, with a distinct lack of ponies)

4/5 - Both MLP images.

8 - MLP image

10/13 - MLP images.

3 of those with Pony Avatars (Kobold, Mailliw and Myself) no longer have MLP Avatars. Now there's only 4 ponies in the top 50.

3 of those with Pony Avatars (Kobold, Mailliw and Myself) no longer have MLP Avatars. Now there's only 4 ponies in the top 50.

Does this mean I should go back to the creepy picture I photoshopped of me with red skin and a spike in my eyes?

Oh, it has nothing to do with this thread. I just wanted an avatar that was neutral to all types of thread and visually distinctive, and in those categories there's really no beating this fantastic avatar done by Awesomeness Summoned. :ph34r::D