Deaths, Character Arcs, Couples, etc.

Lightflame

I do not think Kaladin, Dalinar, Shallan, or Szeth will be dying any time soon. My evidence is the document on the back of the hardcover, which points out all four of them, the "four whom we watch". I don't have it on hand now, but I believe it indicates that one of them will be a savior and another a bringer of doom. I doubt that anyone will be dying before we have sufficient character development.

Maybe we will have a WoA-type ending to book 5, someone releases something bad (probably Odium) and that one is the bad one. Then they would die in the process of that. A release like that might be taking too much from Mistborn, though. That's sort of how I see the two 5-book arcs being separated: some not-yet-known issue will be resolved in book 5, but in the process something terrible happens to set up for the second cycle (release of Odium, return of Voidbringers, etc). Then we will all be rabid for more books, and Brandon will laugh and give us the second Mistborn trilogy instead. That trilogy will be great, but while we're happy with that, we will be theorizing like crazy over what will happen in the second Stormlight cycle.

Adolin is going to die at some point. He has the perfect place in the story: not too important on his own, only significant relative to Dalinar. Plus, it would be a great set-up for placing Renarin in a state of significance, which I believe will happen over the series.

Elhokar's death would be very interesting to see, as he has no heir. I don't know who would succeed him, probably Dalinar or one of his sons. I would love to see a succession conflict concurrent with the Desolation.

I feel like Bridge Four is going to get slaughtered at some point and send Kaladin on a rampage.

Just a point, I don't see people becoming Shards happening in this series; it would be too close to Mistborn, as much as I would love to see it.

i think the first 5 books just setup the playing gournds for the desolation.

idk how long a desolation is, but i guess its years.

so i think the desolation will start slowly, and they might reintroduce the radiants to fight against the evil monsters.

its propably about getting humanity together for the cause. an united front against the evils.

i dont think there will be humans fighting for the evil side, maybe the prashman, or some of them.

Dalinar made alot of problems in the first book, maybe causing a alethi civil war.

or atleast putting house Kaholin in a very powerless position.

I do not think Kaladin, Dalinar, Shallan, or Szeth will be dying any time soon. My evidence is the document on the back of the hardcover, which points out all four of them, the "four whom we watch". I don't have it on hand now, but I believe it indicates that one of them will be a savior and another a bringer of doom. I doubt that anyone will be dying before we have sufficient character development.

That "four whom we watch"

There are four whom we watch. The first is the surgeon, forced to put aside healing to become a soldier in the most brutal war of our time. The second is the assassin, a murderer who weeps as he kills. The third is the liar, a young woman who wears a scholar's mantle over the heart of  a thief. The last is the highprince, a warlord whose eyes have opened to the past as his thirst for battle wanes.

The world can change. Surgebinding and Shardwielding can return; the magics of ancient days can become ours again. These four are key.

One of them may redeem us.

And one of them will destroy us.

I'm just making a wild guess that a lot of people would've already made. I think that at some point the four of them will work together, since Dalinar can see the past I think he would help Shallan, Navani and Jasnah in their research and help them discover the ancient magics and the secrets of Shardwielding.

Something bad will get released by one of them ("One of them will destroy us") and the other will probably make some sacrifice ("One of them may redeem us"). I think that bad part is most likely going to happen in Book 5.

Okay bash away.

I think Kaladin's a moving funeral at this point. This is not happening anytime soon, but Brandon has a tombstone for the guy in his "Grave of Heroes". Which also means that Kaladin gets to be the "Redeemer". 

Shallan's the destroyer. The quest for endless knowledge always, always, results in that kind of an effect.

Szeth and Dalinar are unkillable. Their character's are just to awesome to kill off, and not the correct fit to martyr.

uh i think the destruction will be the alethi way of life.

this propably has to be destroyed, to forge some grather alliance to fight in the desolation.

it has too many limitations too. i think a radiant or someone who wants to use thouse powers,

needs the ability to read/write and teach thouse skills.

I'm really conflicted on whether Kaladin will die or not. We began the series focusing on him, but it seems likely that he will sideline as we get the same type of focus on other characters. That makes it easier to kill him off. At the same time, his natural leadership tendencies and his Radiant powers indicate he will only grow in significance in the world, and, concurrently, the plot, thud becoming harder to kill off. It all depends on how equally important the ten flashback characters prove to be. Further, Kaladin is, IMHO, a better character, more well-rounded, than say Dalinar. Kaladin's issues are much more personal and thus more emotionally charged. I would be really sad to lose him. (I understand that of course he us a better developed character because of the focus on him, but I don't have the same feelings towards Dalinar or Shallan

/>

Szeth and Dalinar are unkillable. Their character's are just to awesome to kill off, and not the correct fit to martyr.

I have to disagree. Szeth's internal conflict, the desire to die, seems to foreshadow his death. I could totally see him being killed at some point. Dalinar is so honorable and idealistic that he is bound to sacrifice himself for some greater cause.

Based on the whole Tranquiline Halls concept, I suspect dead characters will still be doing things. They may even get POVs.

Kaladin, Shallan, and Adolin are characters on the rise, and though Szeth is really annoying--way too invincible (and arrogant about it) yet self-pitying, there is a lot of potential to grow there; I really have a hard time seeing any of them offed soon, though that probably is at least some of their ultimate fates. I see the mentors like Dalinar and Jasnah in more immediate danger, but they still seem to have a lot left to do, so I'm thinking they all make it through Book 2.

As for who gets it, I think some of the Bridge Four guys are going to get red-shirted. Renarin and Elhokar are wild cards; their deaths would certainly would make waves in the story, but it would also be interesting to see what they might accomplish/become if they stick around. Amaram's trending toward the ill-fated messenger role.

When it comes to romance, Brandon does have a heteronormative soft spot for every boy having his girl. Or dying. Or both. He'll probably just make up a character (or use the current one) for Adolin. I think Shallan would be drawn to Renarin for similar reasons Kabsal was attractive to her, but I could see narrative convenience throwing her at Kaladin as if her type of man is "man." Or Laral will make a comeback. Jasnah might actually get the romance pass. Bonus cheese if Szeth is won over by the Power of Love.

Kaladin has to do something of significant and lasting impact, given the role he has now, before he dies.  It would make his character development and story little more than worldbuilding (which would be extraordinarily bad writing to kill a main character before he accomplishes anything other than personal development).  True, he saved Dalinar.  But that does not seem like it would be enough.  I don't see it happening until book 3 at the earliest.

I do think Dalinar will die.  He is in a strong position for his death to mean something and make a lasting impact.  After TWoK, everyone will be talking about Dalinar.  I expect we will be seeing two factions developing centering around how Sadeas's betrayal and Dalinar's escape and response will be viewed.

If I have to guess which one of Dalinar's sons will get killed, a good strong bet would be Adolin. Of course, this could be totally wrong and senseless, but I'm guessing this because of his origins as a foil character, I seem to recall Brandon mentioning that in an episode of WX.

I agree, Refero. I also feel like Adolin is more likely to go than Renarin because of his more reckless nature. I'm convinced that Renarin is going to be very important later on. This stems from his importance to Dalinar, and Renarin's blood weakness seems to me to be more than just a disease. I don't think Renarin will be an important viewpoint character (as far as I know, Brandon has never indicated that he will be), but I feel he will be crucial to the plot.

I have said this on another topic I think that the blurb on the back that says one will destroy them is a kind of Point of View from a Herald.  I think that breaking the oathpact means they have to die in some way to be able to properly fight of Odium.  So while Shallan might be the destroyer that does not mean that it is a bad thing.

It seems like he stops short of George R.R. Martin (who will kill your favorite character just to be cruel . . . I'm not bitter) and gives the sense of realism of you never know what will happen.

I am bitter, by the way. But that's not the point.

Dalinar is probably going to survive until book five; i'm pretty sure Brandon has officially stated that book will focus on him, though i'm way too lazy to double check.

I would not be surprised if Shallan and Kaladin ended up a couple, or he and Adolin competed for her affection at the very least. The way I understand it, Kaladin was promoted to the fourth dahn at the end of book one (i understand there are some technical differences,but that's essentially  what happened, no?) compared to that, a relationship with a lighteyes of middling importance doesn't amount to much. Plus, they're just so compatible- highly intelligent surgebinders-in-training with a tendency to get themselves in trouble.

Although book 5 is planned to be Dalinar's flashback book, Brandon has said that there is no guarantee that character's won't die before their flashback books. 

Kaladin commands a number of solidiers (~1000) that is typically commanded over by a lighteyes of the fourth dahn.  The difference is subtle, but may be significant for the fine line that Dalinar is walking with Kaladin's new position.  I expect that he will be 1st nahn now.  As a darkeyes, that is the highest rank he can technically hold (even if married to a lighteyes).  I expect that this will be addressed fairly early in WoR.

/>Also, am I the only one who thinks that during a Szeth vs. Kaladin fight Szeth, in a glorious character climax, will "make a mistake" and let Kaladin kill him?

Based on the back cover stating showing that Szeth is one of four who will be extremely significant, I don't think he will die so soon. Also, I would think of "making a mistake" as allowing Kaladin to kill him, thus essentially killing himself, which as a Truthless he of course cannot do.

We're running into a very fascinating set of characters and situations. Thus far, we don't really have any identifiable sides for the major conflict. We have no idea exactly who the forces of the enemy are or how and by whom they are going to be resisted. It reminds me to an extent of WoT wherein there were several different factions working against one another for the same goal. We will see the same thing in SA. I like this sort of idea, as it rings true to the real world. We never have any true good guy bad guy situations in global politics. Why would any fantasy world?

It reminds me to an extent of WoT wherein there were several different factions working against one another for the same goal. We will see the same thing in SA. I like this sort of idea, as it rings true to the real world. We never have any true good guy bad guy situations in global politics. Why would any fantasy world?

But in WoT, you always knew who at least some of the Big Bad's servants were.  In WotK, we don't even know that yet.

I'm not complaining, mind you.  Merely pointing out the difference.  WoT *did* have an ultimate big bad with a very nasty group of servants who could identifiably be pointed at and designated as "EVIL!!!!" almost right from the start (i.e. the trollocs).  WotK, on the other hand, spends most of the story muddying things where the initial seeming "EVIL!!!!" (i.e. the Parshendi, Szeth) are concerned, but also introduces a few more potential targets (notably, the Ghostbloods) before the end of the book.  Of course, given what happened in the first book as well as Sanderson's general writing tendencies, even the new potential "EVIL!!!!" possibilities may very well end up being muddied by the end of Words of Radiance.

Little off topic from the last few comments but what I really want to see is Kaladin training Renarin (even if it's secretly).  I know it's a little odd but I really like this idea and think it could be a good way of Kaladin to get over his hatred of lighteyes (which the other two Kholin's already started)

I predict that once everyone is at the Shattered Plains, Szeth makes his attempt on Dalinar.  Of course, it happens at a feast and a lot of people die, including Adolin, Elkohar, half of bridge four, and great number of light eyes.

Using some fabrials in an inventive way, Navani manages to capture Szeth.  Under questioning, he admits that Taravangian (or whatever his name is) holds Szeth's oathstone and is intentionally killing people in his hospitals to record death rattles.

The result is chaotic upheaval that falls perfectly into Odium's plans.

dont think Kaladin is able to teach Renarin anything.

a spear is a very different weapon to a sword or a hammer.

we allready know that the weapons for Renarin will be a sword, a huge hammer/mallet and the greatbows.

maybe he can help him with bow technices.

even with his weakness, im sure Renarin was trained in weapons for a very long time.

dont think this in an optional thing for alethi men.

he could be even trained in shardblade stances, because who would have used Dalinars shards after his death?

What if Renarin having seen Kaladin giving a display to his 1000+ men (like in the chasm), Renarin asks Kaladin for private lessons and as Kal will be guarding the Kholins they are bount to have some time, so Renarin might use a giant half shard spear like I've read from some threads about a future weapon for Kaladin if he gets shardplate. Whilst I do think anything along these lines is highly unlikely I would still like to see it. 

Also am really looking forward to the Jasnah/Dalinar conversation about the Almighty and Kaladin vs Szeth although I don't think either will die yet (hopefully) but what Refero says is interesting

• Chaos locked this topic