Has anyone read...?

Hello 17th shard.

I've been a bit short of reading material lately, and given that the next alloy of law books don't come out until next fall i thought it likely that some of you are in the same boat. So lets compare notes on good books to pick up.

my recommendation is The Martian, by andy weir. very good hard science fiction. meticulously details the technology of a trip to mars.

My favorite book before discovering Brandon was The Meq by Steve Cash.  Late 1800s through most of the 1900s about children that stop aging once they hit age 12.  They heal extremely quickly, some have extraordinary abilities, and others hold artifacts that can affect people's minds.  It's about their struggle to fit in as immortals in a mortal world, the friends and enemies they make, and their trying to rediscover where they came from.  It's a trilogy, and while I found the ending pretty unsatisfying, the first book remains one of my favorites.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite authors at the moment are Jonathan Lethem and Michael Chabon. Their books are all really good, and they are both contemporary. They both write a variety of different stories. 

At the memont, my favorite from each of them is:

Amnesia Moon, by Jonathan Lethem

Telegraph Avenue, by Michael Chabon.

I've also been doing a rather extensive re-read of Thomas Pynchon's books, the newest of which is Bleeding Edge. After I'm finished with this, I'm going to re-read Catch-22; I'm itching to read it again. It's been a while.

-Amnesia Moon is kind of a mystery, but it's not really an important part of the book. Basically, it is set in a post-Apocalyptic America and is a road trip story through different towns and cities who were affected in different ways and is about everyone's differing versions of what happened. 

-Telegraph Avenue is about a couple of pop-culture junkies who own a record store.

-Thomas Pynchon's books cannot be easily summarized. It's really something you've got to go into without knowing very much about the books.

-Catch-22 is a satire set during WWII and is about Yossarian and his fixation on the fact that people are trying to kill him. The bulk of it is his interactions with friends and fellow soldiers at his base. Half of it is his interactions, the other half are the tangents the book drifts off to. I have been praising the book's structure for years, I finally got someone to read it a couple years ago, and I think I convinced my sister to read it at some point this summer.