And the reveal of Backbreaker being the guy that wrote the original story with Bane. :P

(Plus, the Obliteration chronicles, we totally need those. :ph34r: )

Assuming those people have movement powers, yes. Otherwise, she could just release her powers to late for anyone else to doge the bullet. Then there's also the matter of breathing. Given that they shouldn't be able to use their lungs their metabolism would have to be frozen as well, making their consiousness one of the common breaks from reality once magical powers are involved.

Freezing herself would make her very durable, though not quite High Epic levels, given the power isn't tied to a danger sense.

Yeeeessssss. I would read two books about Obliteration. Especially if they started before Calamity, let us see what sort of a preacher he was, what happened to make him what he became….it would be incredible. 

Yeeeessssss. I would read two books about Obliteration. Especially if they started before Calamity, let us see what sort of a preacher he was, what happened to make him what he became….it would be incredible. 

What only two? :P

What only two? :P

One for his backstory, ending when he becomes an Epic. One about how he becomes ruler of Houston and how he runs his city, ending when he decides to destroy it. That way, Brandon decides that writing two books about Obliteration is like eating two potato chips and writes a fourth book in secret, necessitating a third book and then a fifth for funsies. :ph34r::P 

Oh! I just realized! Lifehouse's "Hanging by a Moment" is what would happen if we shipped Redlight!

I'm standing here until you make me move

Hanging by a moment here with you...

Redlight's OTP is now with Glamour, just so we can have a plausible reason for this song playing in their scenes. :P:lol:

Oh! I just realized! Lifehouse's "Hanging by a Moment" is what would happen if we shipped Redlight!

I'm standing here until you make me move

Hanging by a moment here with you...

I don''t thnk we need shipping for that. :P

By the way Twi, is Autumn's retelling of what happened going to happen on screen? (and are the two of you going to sneak the phrase "What happened in the Dalles" in there? :ph34r: )

For some weird reason I'm also imaging that when Collaborate finds Corpsemaker he should be sitting in a gigantic throne and act like he doesn't give a damnation that he's getting attacked? I know it won't happen, because Corpsemaker is taking action himself but still. :P

I don''t thnk we need shipping for that. :P

By the way Twi, is Autumn's retelling of what happened going to happen on screen? (and are the two of you going to sneak the phrase "What happened in the Dalles" in there? :ph34r: )

For some weird reason I'm also imaging that when Collaborate finds Corpsemaker he should be sitting in a gigantic throne and act like he doesn't give a damnation that he's getting attacked? I know it won't happen, because Corpsemaker is taking action himself but still. :P

It will now. :ph34r:

I was currently working on a scene where she tells Vondra what happened mostly in secondhand dialogue--"She told him everything, as best she could relate it, resisting the urge to rant. Mostly." Something like that.

I was currently working on a scene where she tells Vondra what happened mostly in secondhand dialogue--"She told him everything, as best she could relate it, resisting the urge to rant. Mostly." Something like that.

Hooray for meta! :P

I think that's best. Any preferences on where their conversation should go after her briefing, or should we just pants it?

I'm usually in favour of keeping summaries down, which is why I usually cut down the catch up in my posts as much as characterization allows me and tend to use paraphrasing of things said instead of quotes but on this occasion getting the full version sounds tempting. :P

I vote for pantsing. I don't know where it might go, so we may as well see where it could go. :P

Be honest guys, even if you would plan it, the moment one of your characters says something the outline is out of the window. Otherwise, Lightwards would never have spend moths in a diamond crystal, thinking of what to say next. :P

It could result in them having an arm-wrestling contest. The question is, should it? :P

As long as you keep it in character, go for it. :P

By the way Kobold (or anyone that read WoR really), did you read what Brandon wrote in the AMA about the Retcon?

I'm usually in favour of keeping summaries down, which is why I usually cut down the catch up in my posts as much as characterization allows me and tend to use paraphrasing of things said instead of quotes but on this occasion getting the full version sounds tempting. :P

I might end with "So then, after I've been hugged and cuddled all over town, which Game seemed to think was adorable, I take her here, and Arsenal still doesn't get it until I actually kiss her! How'd HE feel if Steelheart flirted with him all over Newcago? How would he feel?" :P

By the way Kobold (or anyone that read WoR really), did you read what Brandon wrote in the AMA about the Retcon?

Nope, not yet. I saw he'd responded to a question, saw that it didn't pertain to the Reckonerverse, and grumpily stormed away from it. :P

I might end with "So then, after I've been hugged and cuddled all over town, which Game seemed to think was adorable, I take her here, and Arsenal still doesn't get it until I actually kiss her! How'd HE feel if Steelheart flirted with him all over Newcago? How would he feel?" :P

Sounds good to me. :D

To be fair, Game subtely offered her to call the cops two times. :P

Nope, not yet. I saw he'd responded to a question, saw that it didn't pertain to the Reckonerverse, and grumpily stormed away from it. :P

The natural response, isn't it. :P

To be fair, Game subtely offered her to call the cops two times. :P

The natural response, isn't it. :P

After this day, all Dalles personnel will be trained to blink S.O.S. :P

To be honest, sometimes I feel all the Cosmere WoBs I've read have stripped away some of the mysticism I felt upon initially reading the books. So I prefer to avoid them nowadays.

After this day, all Dalles personnel will be trained to blink S.O.S. :P

To be honest, sometimes I feel all the Cosmere WoBs I've read have stripped away some of the mysticism I felt upon initially reading the books. So I prefer to avoid them nowadays.

That certainly couldn't hurt. :P

Fair point. Kind of reminds me of a story Brandon once told, that lead to his law of magic. Apparently when he was at a panel one he was asked what's important about magic and said someting along the lines "magic needs rules" and everyone treated him like madman, because that takes away from the mysticism. :P

That certainly couldn't hurt. :P

Fair point. Kind of reminds me of a story Brandon once told, that lead to his law of magic. Apparently when he was at a panel one he was asked what's important about magic and said someting along the lines "magic needs rules" and everyone treated him like madman, because that takes away from the mysticism. :P

I don't think there's any problem that can't be solved by blinking S.O.S.

...Except, arguably, the inability to blink. :mellow::P

Magic definitely needs a few rules, but I don't think there are any hard-and-fast rules about how many rules you need, if that makes sense. :P This (ironically) might seem blasphemous on this of all forums, but I actually prefer soft magic systems with a few overarching rules to ultra "hard magic" systems.

So the LotR magic system is a bit soft for my taste, Allomancy is awesome but a bit too rigid, but the magics of Harry Potter, the Reckoners books, and MLP are just right. There's a place for all three types, but my personal preference is for that golden zone in between rigidness and mysticism.

I don't think there's any problem that can't be solved by blinking S.O.S.

...Except, arguably, the inability to blink. :mellow::P

Magic definitely needs a few rules, but I don't think there are any hard-and-fast rules about how many rules you need, if that makes sense. :P This (ironically) might seem blasphemous on this of all forums, but I actually prefer soft magic systems with a few overarching rules to ultra "hard magic" systems.

So the LotR magic system is a bit soft for my taste, Allomancy is awesome but a bit too rigid, but the magics of Harry Potter, the Reckoners books, and MLP are just right. There's a place for all three types, but my personal preference is for that golden zone in between rigidness and mysticism.

Redlight going evil is what will break their system. :P

Talking about her, can she also affect objects?

In fact Brandon didn't even mean as ridgid a set as rules as Allomancy has but simply something along the lines of "An author’s ability to solve conflict with magic is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to how well the reader understands said magic." (Sanderson's first law of magic)

Redlight going evil is what will break their system. :P

Talking about her, can she also affect objects?

In fact Brandon didn't even mean as ridgid a set as rules as Allomancy has but simply something along the lines of "An author’s ability to solve conflict with magic is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to how well the reader understands said magic." (Sanderson's first law of magic)

A game of "Red light, green light" The Dalles won't soon forget. :P

In the interest of separating her from MV, I'm going to say no, her powers don't work on objects. So no stopping cars with her mind or freezing bullets in mid air.

I agree with Sanderson's First Law wholeheartedly. To do what the Question thread does best and apply it to ponies...

Let's compare "The Return of Harmony" to "A Canterlot Wedding." In both, the main characters are confronted by highly powerful magical creatures, Discord and Queen Chrysalis respectively. Both villains are defeated by one of the prevailing magics of the show--friendship and love, respectively. And yet, Discord's defeat feels natural and Chrysalis' defeat feels like a hastily written deus ex machina. What's the difference?

The difference, I feel, can be summed up by the first two of Sanderson's Laws of Magic. First--the conflicts of both episodes are solved by magic, in the form of the Elements of Harmony and the love Cadence and Shining Armor share. However, only the Elements of Harmony are understood by the viewer. When Discord breaks free in his two-parter, the viewers know what the Elements are and how they are used. The Second law comes into play here as well--Limitations > Powers. The Elements of Harmony are invincible, but the antagonist is clever and exploits their key weakness, namely that only close friends can wield them. It makes for an engaging story to watch the main characters strive to overcome their obstacles before blasting stoning Discord with a concentrated blast of weaponized friendship.

Compare this with "A Canterlot Wedding." We are told that love is powerful enough to feed the changelings, but we are given no indication that it's possible to weaponize it in a blast potent enough to drive invaders out of a city. While the Elements of Harmony were expected and understood by the viewers, Cadance's love came out of nowhere, surprising us even more than it surprised Chrysalis. "A Canterlot Wedding" serves as an example of what failure to follow Sanderson's Laws of Magic can cause--an intriguing setting with a hasty and disappointing climax.

(Of course, "A Canterlot Wedding" also contained one of the best songs on the show, so I can't judge it too harshly. :P)