Appropriate age to read the trilogy

Lazarus52980

I have recently started reading Mistborn to my 9, 8, and 7 year old children.  All three of them seem to like it so far (we are about 6 chapters in).  I would love to know what the forums think of this.  Do you think this is a good book to read to "younger" children?

There's a bit of gore here and there and some of the themes might be a bit hard for younger readers to grasp but Brandon does a pretty good job of making it appropriate for all ages I think.

I have recently started reading Mistborn to my 9, 8, and 7 year old children.  All three of them seem to like it so far (we are about 6 chapters in).  I would love to know what the forums think of this.  Do you think this is a good book to read to "younger" children?

I think that it's fine, except that you'll probably want to skip or come up with other stuff whenever the mmmm, private activities of the noblemen come up. I'm almost finished reading Final Empire to my tween sister and have done exactly that. Personally, I think you can read the gore to them straight, but that's definitely your decision. I did and still do hate gorey films and television, but I've never had that problem with books so much. I think it's awesome that you're indoctrinating them at such a young age ;):lol:

Yeah... I forgot about that.  The 1st part of the book deals with the lord raping one of the Skaa women and then having to kill her when he is done.  There was really no getting around that, so we had to have a brief discussion on what rape is... :(

It's been all good since then though.  :)

I think (just for sheer understanding of some of the themes and gore) you should wait. Maybe in middle school, after "the talk" is given and they have more knowledge about such things. Its definitely your choice, and isn't the worse thing you can read to them. But I feel that 9, 8, and 7 aren't really good ages for it.

I do feel that you can read Sanderson to them, like Steelheart or the Rithmatist.

The Alcatraz books are good to read for kids that age. Personally, I wouldn't let my kids read Mistborn until at least 13 but that's just me. I'm NOT judging as only you can determine what's appropriate for your kids. You might have to explain what a eunuch is, and I think Straff Venture gets slightly vulgar in book 3 (talks about breasts), but nothing worse than what you've already read. If you already discussed rape with them, I can't think of anything worse than that in any of Brandon's books. Just avoid George RR Martin and Rothfuss.

*Shrug* If they enjoy it, go for it! As far as more unsavory aspects, stories are probably the best way to broach the subject and instill a good morality. It might be uncomfortable, but if the time comes it might be better for them to say, "I'm not going to do that because Kelsier disapproved of such things!" then for them to stumble upon these concepts without a frame of reference.

Ultimately, you know your children and will know when they are enjoying the story, getting something out of it, or contemplating the Void. If it seems good to you, go for it!

I think I'd have been fine with reading it myself at around the age of 10, but it would have looked very different to me at the time. I would have been more interested in figuring out the magic and the setting and the rules - I was that kind of kid - and less in the characters and their interaction.

(The whole morality aspect would have been lost on me entirely - as far as I was concerned, when I was reading a character's point of view, what they thought was right was right, and what they thought was wrong was wrong, until we got to the next person's viewpoint.  :lol: But that might have just been oblivious-little-moral-relativist-10-year-old me.)

And if it's being read aloud in a group setting, then it takes on a very different feel. I think a wide range of subject matter can be made more child-friendly when approached interactively with your direct supervision.  :)

• Chaos locked this topic