Plants and Awakening

Phantom Monstrosity

I've done a little bit of searching on this, but haven't turned up any Sanderson Q&A... of course, I suppose it's possible Nightblood will end up revealing some of this.

How do living plants act when you hit them with Breath? Obviously you can awaken deadwood all day with no issues, and it's less tricky than bone, so it shouldn't be as difficult as animals.

For example, if someone walks up to a tree and tosses fifty Breath into it, does it hit the first heightening and create an aura bubble? Or does it act like any normal inanimate object infused with Breath, and just stand around

doing nothing?

Could you get the breaths back out of a tree, or is it too alive to give the Breaths back?

EDIT: Got the answer at a signing. You can't awaken living plants, but they probably have auras

As a related question, if you take a living squirrel and chuck fifty breaths into it, does it get a biochromatic aura or not? You can't get Breath back from a squirrel lifeless, so obviously you wouldn't be able to retrieve them (without somehow teaching a squirrel to awaken, anyway).

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

• 1 year later...

As a related question, if you take a living squirrel and chuck fifty breaths into it, does it get a biochromatic aura or not? You can't get Breath back from a squirrel lifeless, so obviously you wouldn't be able to retrieve them (without somehow teaching a squirrel to awaken, anyway).

Just to revive a dead topic... If an awakener can give sentience to a chunk of metal by giving it some breath then it should be possible to give sentience to an animal with breath. ( by sentience I mean human level intelligence )

But the real question is if you can give an animal breath do they gain the different Heightening's?

Would they gain life sense and perfect pitch? ( plus all the other benefits )

• Chaos locked this topic