The end of The Wheel of Time

dhalagirl

Last week I took some time to ruminate about how I felt about the impending release of A Memory of Light. The Wheel of Time has been a part of my life for a very long time and in some ways it feels like a dear friend has been given a terminal prognosis and we only have X number of days to say goodbye. I wrote about it on my blog. Feel free to share you feelings in this thread. I suspect that I'm not the only one that's having a difficult time saying goodbye.

Not at all; Wheel of Time has over-shadowed my life for the past 6-7 years and I'm grateful for such wonderful literature to have been written. I am sad to see it end, but I'm also glad we finally get to know the ending. And what an ending it will be if I can believe the reviews.

Seven days to go? Bring it on.

Well, considering that Lyre is 21, 7 years accounts for a third of his life. From his perspective, that is quite a long time...

It doesn't really matter when you come into it, or how long you've been reading. I came in at Lord of Chaos, back at the wee age of 9. I've been reading the series for almost 18 years now, but there are people who picked up Eye of the World for the first time after Brandon was tapped to finish the series who love it just as much as I do.

I came into it late, it seems by some definitions, but I wouldn't consider myself a newcomer. As I said, I've spent 18 years with these books. I've known the characters in them for longer than I've known the vast majority of my friends and even some family. Losing many of the characters in these books fills me with the same sense of dread that losing a loved one might. I know the layout of the cities better than I know how to get around my own town. I know the history of this world as well if not better than the history of my own country.

Other people might not have spent as long with the books as I have - and I know there are many who overshadow me in that regard - but they can say the same thing. It's not a testament to the time spent with the books, but to the power of the writing and the world-building, and it's ability to draw one in so completely. The recent death of a friend has taught me how time means so little compared to the overall impact something or someone can have on you...

Forgive me for saying so but 6-7 years isn't very long when you consider the length of time the series has been out. I've been reading it for fifteen years and even then, I'm still a relative new comer.

Dhalagirl, I'm really not sure what you meant by this. I can't tell if you're saying that only people who have been reading the series for a certain period of time will feel the loss, or if you're trying to say that because he hasn't been reading it as long as you have his opinion isn't as valid. Either way, I don't see why you brought up "6-7 years isn't very long when you consider the length of time the series has been out". You invited anyone who wanted to share their feelings to do so, and he did. Attacking him for it makes no sense to me. And no, saying "Forgive me for saying so, but..." or even "No offense, but..." doesn't make what you're saying any less offensive, or any less an attack. I usually find it to be more offensive, because you're being rude, you're acknowledging that you know it, and saying something anyway.

That said, I've only been reading the series since a month or so before Gathering Storm came out, but while I am excited for the ending, I'm going to be sad to see it go, too.

10 years and half my life for me, I'll be sad to see the end but I'm really excited at the same time, all I can hope is that the next generation gets as much enjoyment out of this series as I have and that the Wheel keeps turning.

6-7 years ago I was in high school dear and before that I didn't know what a book was. I'm 22 on Saturday so the time I've spent on this series constitutes a third of my life in proportion.

And I can't help but get the general feeling that my opinion has been invalidated because I came to the series so late. I'm as emotionally invested in this story as much, if not more than, someone who has read it since the first release in 1990. These stand as the greatest books in my library and I have literature that set the standard of their time to compare it to.

Being a newcomer to a series has never diminished the impact received from reading them. Heck, I was astounded with Dune, which I still hold as the greatest science fiction ever written besides Arthur C. Clarke's work.

Age has no bearing on the investment you can give a book. Heck, how many Tolkien fans could claim to know who Melkor was? I have poured over Wheel of Time and Middle Earth lore more than most. You have no indication of how strongly the ending will affect me based solely on my years of commitment. In the face of my undying love and devotion to devouring the lore I am more than capable of having an opinion.

Maybe it lends more weight if I say that Robert Jordan was the one who inspired me to read fiction, and also to start writing. Without Wheel of Time I may not have the enthusiasm I have for writing these days.

Edited by Lyrebon