So, any more details about Stormlight 3? I think I already read all the chapters online (Kaladin one, Edit: Jasnah one(?))

But when is the release date and what else do we know?

Edited by phattemer

So far the only excerpts that have been released are the Kaladin chapter and a Jasnah chapter (which may or may not end up in the final version). As far as we know the current plan is for it to be released late 2016, however that can't be finalized until Brandon finishes drafting the book.  Which he hasn't started yet.  He's still working on finishing up Calamity, but he does plan on wrapping that up over the next few weeks.  Then he can start on Stormlight 3, which will take pretty much the rest of the year (and probably run into 2016 at this point).

Edit: @Redbird There is no Shallan one.

Ah. Yes, I meant the Jasnah one, but it's been a while and I forgot. Aww. I was hoping it would still be this fall, even though I've seen the unhappy numbers in the top right... at least we have SoS and BoM, right? And Calamity.

Sadly i think that's the case, not what i was hoping for. I was really really hoping for a miracle but then he said he would be releasing 2 Mistborn novels. I new it wouldn't be anytime soon. I wont complain though, he's an incredible writer and the post that said he had finished Calamity on fb, pretty much every comment was when he was starting SA3. So the fans have been heard!!

Although it varies greatly from author to author, I think it's for the best that Sanderson doesn't work exclusively on The Stormlight Archives. As a creative person, I can't imagine what it might be like to be locked into a single project for twenty years. I would think that after a period of time you would come to resent it. Best if you have the opportunity to stretch your creative legs, particularly after such massive books, and try new things. Then you might even be excited to come back to the massive project.

I personally don't read any of Sanderson's non-fantasy works - they just aren't my thing (this includes any Mistborn book beyond the original trilogy). However I can bear the waiting, because there are people who wait for those books with the same enthusiasm that I wait for the new Stormlight book, and if waiting is what keeps Sanderson enjoying the work and producing at Words of Radiance quality (It's tied for my favourite book), then it's worth it.

So yeah, 2016. That's an amazing release date - a much easier wait than other authors writing massive tomes (*cough* Rothfuss or Martin *cough*). I love seeing that other people enjoy this series as much as I do. At the same time, I think it's important to consider things from the author's perspective.

Edited by GrainofaRiver

I have heard that Sanderson works on a whole bunch of projects at once, and I am coming to see that it is so true.  He is working on Calamity, the Mistborn novels, the Stormlight Archive, he has released several books in the last six months, etc.  I have never gotten so many books from one author in such a short period of time released.  As long as he keeps writing, I am okay with the third Stormlight book being released next year.  Even though that is my favorite of his works.

Kaladin goes to Hearthstone, finds that his parents moved, but decides to save the townspeople anyways.  He overcomes his animosity to lighteyes after realizing that the Whitespine was mind-controlling Roshone when he forced Tien into service.

Hoid and Jasnah talk in the forest, then Hoid runs away, and Jasnah would rather read the new Mistborn novel than save Roshar, so she doesn't do anything.

Shallan is blackmailed into helping the Ghostbloods.  In chapter 67, she stops helping them, after realizing that the ghostbloods were bluffing in chapter 2 when they said "I really hope this feint works.  We're totally bluffing."

Lopen seeks to reassemble the Vorpal Sword of One-Armed Herdazia.  He brings a cousin with him.

Sam Bradford shows up and tears his ACL.  Roshar then trades him to the Star Wars universe for Jar Jar Binks.

Elhokar reenacts that scene from "Risky Business" after a long night of partying.

We find out that Odium was upset that Sim City 4 required an online connection in Braize, and only Comcast serves Braize.

With Calamity at 100% (though edits/revisions are still ahead), I am really hoping we'll see the Stormlight 3 numbers start going up soon!

The 5th and final "Alcatraz" book is also on his plate, and I wonder if that will also be released before SA#3? Though these books are shorter than Brandon's adult fantasy, wrapping up the loose ends in any series sounds tricky.

Oh, and isn't there also a Rithmatist book in his pipeline?

I'll say it again: I am resolved not to start reading any more series when the author is so much younger than me. I have good hopes of seeing SA#5, but SA#10? ... 'Hope God spares me that long, for this and many other reasons. :-)

So.  It sounds like Sanderson has to finish the Mistborn trilogy, as well as the next two trilogies.  I think.  There is also the Rithmatist #2, and Calamity, and Alcatraz, and the Stormlight Archive, as well as Nightblood and anything else he wishes to do on that world.. I have also heard that he will be continuing stuff on Sel (Elantris, Emperor's Soul).  So at least 20 more books planned?  And I am so glad that I am younger than he is so I can read all the stuff he writes, unless I die first, but that would be tragic and I don't plan on it.

The Calamity story is done, it still needs revision and alterations. The same with both Mistborn Novels (Shadows of Self & Bands of Mourning) then he will start Stormlight Archive 3 in earnest. Thats the current schedule i think.

It will still be out before Winds of Winter and Doors of stone..

Hi 

I am surprised that none yet mentioned 2017 as a possible release date. I pretty certain that SA3 will be released in 2017. If you are expecting a 2016 release, you are in for a disappointment.

For now Sanderson are working on a second draft for Calamity, and he will also finish the mistborn #5#6 revisions before taking on SA3. Mr Ahlström mentioned that Sanderson will resume writing SA3 around July/August. 

Well if Sanderson hypothetically begins SA3 in first of August, thats 17months to december 2016. 17months is VERY optimistic considering that a Stormlight book is a huge undertaking requiring around 18 months of writing (and another couple of months to publication). And that's not calculating other books Sanderson might write or revise meantime, Alcatraz 5 have been mentioned for example.

Another way of estimating:

Considering that Calamity first draft took almost five months of writing, SA3 will of course take longer. Lets make an optimistic guess of 8 months of writing. Generally a book is released a year after the first draft is finished. That will be 12+8= 20 months.

You might say that Sanderson Already begun the SA3, that is true, but the work so far hardly corresponds more than a month work.

The author have previously estimated a gap of 18-24months between SA release dates. You might think that an author is the best person to estimate his works, but reality have shown otherwise. I think 24-36 months is more accurate estimate.

Mark my words- SA3 will be released in 2017. 

My regards

wait... I have never heard of Winds of Winter or Doors of Stone.  Are those recently announced or something?

Also, Nigudo, I totally agree that it will probably be released in 2017, UNLESS he has undivided attention on SA, and that is not going to happen.  Last I checked, he was only 25% through the prewrite, so it will definitely be a while.  And like I said, there are so many more books planned in the near-ish future that it would be miraculous if any majority got released as soon as any of us would like.

wait... I have never heard of Winds of Winter or Doors of Stone.  Are those recently announced or something?

Winds of Winter is the highly anticipated 6th book of the Song of Ice and Fire Series by G.R.R.M. Doors of Stone is the third book in Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles.

The 5th and final "Alcatraz" book is also on his plate, and I wonder if that will also be released before SA#3? Though these books are shorter than Brandon's adult fantasy, wrapping up the loose ends in any series sounds tricky.

Oh, and isn't there also a Rithmatist book in his pipeline?

Alcatraz 5 is already written (it was written back in early/mid-2014) and is due out next May/June, so yes it will be coming out before Stormlight 3.

The Aztlanian (Rithmatist 2) is currently planned to be his next project after Stormlight 3, so it shouldn't affect this.

I have heard that it is hard for him to get into Rithmatist #2 (I cannot spell that name, let alone pronounce it!) because he has been away from it for a while... and Alcatraz is a fast write, but it is really hard to edit, in order for it to make sense enough for it to follow a story.  And yes, wrapping up loose ends will be hard.