Brandon's Study of Psychology

(Maybe the wrong forum, but this seemed as logical of a place as any)

As someone who studies psychology for fun and a long time Brandon Sanderson fan (just re-read the Mistborn trilogy as prep before reading the Alloy of Law), I have to say, Brandon is really good. This is not a subject I expect to be debated heavily on a fansite, but I can't get over how well Sanderson portrays different characters and motivations. Is this simply from studying character writing, or does he have a background in psychology that would support this? Beyond that, some of the theology and philosophy in his writing shows a deep understanding of different views, so I'm wondering what further reading/study he has had beyond what he gained in Sunday School. Does anybody have any ideas on this?

I've wondering recently if the Shards have anything to do with Reiss's 16-motivation theory. They clearly don't match up perfectly, but some of that could be explained as Reiss-style motivations (intended for people) being extrapolated to running an entire cosmos. For example, a cosmos doesn't need to eat, but metabolism breaks things down into simpler components: could Ruin be the cosmic version of "Eating"?

• Chaos locked this topic