David's Mother

Sarcasm

I just finished rereading Firefight for the sixth time, and I realized that we never hear much about David's mother. We know that she died a year before Calamity's rise (I think), and so I was wondering if her death or her work was somehow linked to the creation of Calamity, and maybe David would find something about his link with his mother which would help him shut down Calamity or something. If Brandon was to be really cliche, he could have her come back in Calamity, and show how she faked her death and launched Calamity, and blah blah blah, but I'm pretty sure that would be too unoriginal for Brandon. Any thoughts?

It'd be cool, but it seems unlikely at this point. David mentions in Steelheart that he grew up in a bad neighborhood, with gangs and everything else. If his mother was scientifically skilled enough to have something to do with Calamity's rise, it seems like the family would've lived in a slightly better situation because of her income. If she did have something to do with it, I think she would've been mentioned more often than she has been.

I think his mother has little space in the story because she wasn't needed in the backstory. In fact, David's backstory is better without his mother, because then losing his father is more traumatic. He doesn't have another parent to shelter him, cue him growing up as an orphan.

Of course, her mother could have been killed that day at the bank too, but it would have worked less well. The emotional impact of david's father would have been mixed with the impact of his mother dieing too. It would have made a more confusing scene, emotion-wise. That scene is stronger is only david's father dies there, and david has no mother. so david has no mother. But since children need two parents, then his mother was killed.

Brandon shoot her in the back after telling her "sorry madam, it's nothing personal, but your presence would negatively impact  the backstory of my protagonist". Yes, he does that all the time. He bring those characters to live, he gives them personalities and wishes, and then he kills them casually. Brandon is some sort of literary mass murder :)

I think his mother has little space in the story because she wasn't needed in the backstory. In fact, David's backstory is better without his mother, because then losing his father is more traumatic. He doesn't have another parent to shelter him, cue him growing up as an orphan.

Of course, her mother could have been killed that day at the bank too, but it would have worked less well. The emotional impact of david's father would have been mixed with the impact of his mother dieing too. It would have made a more confusing scene, emotion-wise. That scene is stronger is only david's father dies there, and david has no mother. so david has no mother. But since children need two parents, then his mother was killed.

Brandon shoot her in the back after telling her "sorry madam, it's nothing personal, but your presence would negatively impact the backstory of my protagonist". Yes, he does that all the time. He bring those characters to live, he gives them personalities and wishes, and then he kills them casually. Brandon is some sort of literary mass murder :)

He will never match the death toll of fiction's most notorious serial killer: George R. R. Martin. :P

Brandon is some sort of literary mass murder :)

He has slaughtered villains and heroic men for the sake of entertainment.

He has tormented innocents and ruined lives all for the sake of more interesting protagonists.

He has started wars just so he could enjoy watching the ensuing conflict.

He has destroyed entire civilizations just so he'd have interesting ruins to explore.

The most terrifying monster in any Sanderson novel... is Sanderson himself. :P

He has slaughtered villains and heroic men for the sake of entertainment.

He has tormented innocents and ruined lives all for the sake of more interesting protagonists.

He has started wars just so he could enjoy watching the ensuing conflict.

He has destroyed entire civilizations just so he'd have interesting ruins to explore.

The most terrifying monster in any Sanderson novel... is Sanderson himself. :P

David never saw Calamity's face, but I think we already know what he looks like. He has black hair, a squarish face, fair skin, and glasses. He enjoys writing and finishes projects at incredible speed. Why do you think he was so insistent about David taking the powers? He wanted to get back to writing.

David never saw Calamity's face, but we need only to turn to the back dust jacket of the book to get a good look. :P

David shoot calamity in the face, ending the treath of the epics forever

David threw away the gun. then he slapped himself. the he started slamming his head against the wall. He then wrote one hundred times "I will never go against an epic" on the blackboard. Then he went home, and he kept his pledge.

Main power: the ability to trash a draft and rewrite the chapter again.

Weakness: in the real world, he's just another guy.

Yeah. My first reaction to hearing the description for obliteration was,"Its Brandon!" He kind of fits the description... glasses, dark hair, or am I being stupid?  :huh:

Edit: Clarification

Edited by Sarcasm

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. My first reaction to hearing the description for obliteration was,"Its Brandon!" He kind of fits the description... glasses, dark hair, or am I being stupid? :huh:

Edit: Clarification

Funnily enough, Obliteration's appearance was actually modeled on Jim Butcher's.

• Chaos locked this topic