Steelheart - What did you predict?

Leviathan

So. I finished Steelheart a couple of days ago (yes yes, rather late, I know. The second book will arrive on my doorstep in the next week sometime). Quite enjoyed it, though found it quite predictable in a lot of ways.
I read a couple of reviews, and one pointed out that while everyone in their book club found it predictable, they pretty much all predicted different things!

So I thought I'd ask the question: What did *you* predict?

Personally, I predicted:

1) That Megan was an illusionist epic with reincarnation powers (illusionist because of first the illusionary motorcycle and then the elevator shaft, both because of the seeming illusion and because Megan started going megalomaniac straight after. Reincarnator because when she died I'm like "It really doesn't feel like that kind of book. And reincarnation just got mentioned..). Didn't pick that she was Firefight though.

2) Prof was an epic. This one took me a while, but when he did his "Save David" thing it was confirmed for me. A couple of inklings earlier what with his "doesn't want to use them" thing, and "I don't care if it's broken David, try and use it anyway" bits.

3) Steelheart's Weakness. I actually didn't quite get this one. My predictions were either the "Can only be harmed when you're not intending to" or "Can only be harmed by someone who believes he's a hero."
I did actually wonder for a chunk of it if Steelheart really *was* the first Epic Hero, but he deliberately made himself into a villain because he could be harmed by anyone who thought him a hero.

Those were the major ones.

What about you guys?

I tend not to think ahead and predict things in books, intentionally. 

I like your prediction that Steelheart's weakness was being thought a Hero. That would be an interesting conflict for someone- be outwardly good and be killed by every tom dick and harry, or be evil and hate yourself?

I tend not to think ahead and predict things in books, intentionally. 

I like your prediction that Steelheart's weakness was being thought a Hero. That would be an interesting conflict for someone- be outwardly good and be killed by every tom dick and harry, or be evil and hate yourself?

Agreed!

It would have also made an excellent bit of conflict when David & Prof found out "Why in Calamity do you think I do this? This is as good as I can make this place without the other Epics getting suspicious, calling me a Hero and murdering us all!!"

I got the Steelheart one, but that is about it for the first book. I predicted a whole lot more for the second but since you haven't read it yet, I won't say anything.

I appreciate that, thankyou :)

I've actually been trying to find dodgy PDF copies online because I'm chomping at the bit waiting for it to arrive :P

I read too quickly to have much time for pondering potential plot twists, I read Steelheart in one sitting so I was just enjoying the ride mostly. Although I did have a vague sense about Prof I guess.

Only thing I really saw coming was Prof being an epic. Something about the "technology" they were using seemed too far out there to be real technology as I got the impression this book took place in what we would consider near future Earth. I was thrown a little off when they started in with the machines built off of epics DNA but still felt in my gut Prof was an epic.

The one I did not see coming at all was Megan being an epic. That is until she died then I thought yeah she is not really dead and will end up being an epic. 

I predicted that Megan was an Epic, mostly because of the whole elevator thing. Not that she had Reincarnation or that she was Firefight though. 

I was wayyyyyyy off on my prediction of Steelheart's weakness too. I thought he could only be harmed when someone shot him through someone else. (As was the case with David's father in the bank. The bullet went through Deathpoint, then it hit Steelheart.) So... yeah way off. I usually only guess about one third of Sanderson's twists correctly anyway, so I guess there's nothing new here haha.  ^_^

I knew the Prof was an epic...2/3 of the way through, maybe? Before the fight to save David and Megan, though that cinched it. I thought he must have been behind the illusions, though, so I missed Megan being one too.

I was wayyyyyyy off on my prediction of Steelheart's weakness too. I thought he could only be harmed when someone shot him through someone else. (As was the case with David's father in the bank. The bullet went through Deathpoint, then it hit Steelheart.) So... yeah way off. I usually only guess about one third of Sanderson's twists correctly anyway, so I guess there's nothing new here haha. ^_^

Just wanted to point out, the bullet hit Steelheart first, then Deathpoint, not the other way around. I thought that was going to be the trick, not intending to hit him, but of course I got that wrong. I miss a lot until I check fan theories online usually.

jW

I've pretty much given up predicting ANYTHING in a Sanderson book about five books ago  :lol:

Still I somehow, sort of, predicted Steelheart's weakness. I didn't get the "no fear" thing, but I thought in this direction with him being able to get killed by someone who doesn't want to kill him or doesn't think bad of him.

I think this deserves half a cookie.

I had a feeling Megan and Prof. were epics, as for the weaknesses I had no idea.

I've pretty much given up predicting ANYTHING in a Sanderson book about five books ago  :lol:

Still I somehow, sort of, predicted Steelheart's weakness. I didn't get the "no fear" thing, but I thought in this direction with him being able to get killed by someone who doesn't want to kill him or doesn't think bad of him.

I think this deserves half a cookie.

just go ahead and have a whole cookie, compliments of your friendly neighborhood Dark Alley denizen.

• 2 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic