Alloy of Law era Mistborn rp [currently accepting members]

Kestrel

Resool looked at Bella, who flinched away from his gaze. 

"Everything okay?" He smiled at her, slightly. He was uncomfortable, that was sure. "You can always leave whenever you want, you know. If anything happens.. you're not tied to us. You're free to go. I want to make that clear." There was a pause in between his words. "We aren't in the business of holding people against their will, even if it does pay. We'll give you the money you need to make it for a few weeks too, if needbe."

Bella shook her head. He was nice. Strange. She wouldn't have expected that in a lawman. She had thought of them as the big intimidating folk. 

I'm going to be one. She thought, suddenly.

"In any case, I haven't trained a Nicroburst yet. This will be an adventure for both of us, I think!" The laugh came out a tad bit forced. Bella shrugged, and turned away.

"Why are ya here?" She asked, not looking at him. "Who are ya here for? Not just recruiting, right? Ya couldn't have expected to find allomancers or feruchemists in such a small town. There's been more than normal here lately. Somethin' is gonin' be happening here, ain't it? And I've gotten myself of the stuckin' in the middle of it?" 

I can't back out now. If any of these suspicious folk they're here for see me with 'em, I'll have tied myself to them. Made myself a target. Rust and Ruin! What did I do?

"Why are ya here? Who are ya here for? Not just recruiting, right? Ya couldn't have expected to find allomancers or feruchemists in such a small town." She didn't look at him. "There's been more than normal here lately. Somethin' is gonin' be happening here, ain't it? And I've gotten myself of the stuckin' in the middle of it?"

Resool let out a breath, looking off into the distance a bit, trying to figure out how to reply when Alahya, who had been listening to their conversation, spoke up.

"Ya. We've gotten a'few reports o' some stolen things 'un other criminal stuff. Shouldn't be as dangerous as Res here describes," she said, not looking back. "Isn't too bad. Lightn' up, kiddo."

Resool narrowed his eyes at her, sighing softly. Yes, this could get very dangerous very fast. He looked back down at Bella, deciding to change the subject before Alahya scared her even more.

"Anyway, do you know of a place we could stay? One that cares for horses, I guess, unless you know someone who'd buy them."

Bella watched Resool gaze off into the distance. Seemed to be considerin' somethin'. 

"Ya. We've gotten a'few reports o' some stolen things 'un other criminal stuff. Shouldn't be as dangerous as Res here describes," she said, not looking back. "Isn't too bad. Lightn' up, kiddo." Alahya said, not looking back. Shouldn't be as dangerous, huh. Bella felt herself have her nerves begin to pulse faster. Not as dangerous for a trained lawman. I'm just a kid. 

Resool seemed to be annoyed at Alahya, then he sighed under his breath. He seemed to notice her terror. He turned back to her. 

"Anyway, do you know of a place we could stay? One that cares for horses, I guess, unless you know someone who'd buy them." Resool asked. Good. I can actually help here. I'll earn whatever they'll pay me. Promise.

"There's the Iron Inn, I guess. They have stables, however... Although there is technically stables, it's not very safe for them. There are many potential horse thieves near there, it's about the edge of town. There's lots of people who'll buy horses, but ya'll have trouble gettin' a fair price."  Bella spit on the ground, showing her obvious opinion of people who buy horses. Then she blushed, realizing that they were people who bought horses.

"There's also a couple of real expensive places with a couple o' guards and stables. But them'll overcharge ya and the security ain't that good anyway. I have a cousin, who has a friend who has a sister who has another friend whose uncle breeds horses, but that's a fair walk away. 

She continued. "According to my cousin, her friend's sister's friend's uncle buys horses if they're good stock, dunno if yours are, and is pretty good about not overcharging people. Though I'm not sure exactly where it is, I know it's due southeast."

(Gonna reply to both Bella and Ven in this post)

Resool shrugged. "We don't need full price. These aren't the best horses."

Alahya chimed in, "And we got 'em for free anyway. Dunno what we expected."

"We got them from a friend, not stole them," Resool sighed, glancing at her. "You're far too over dramatic."

He paused, looking back at Bella. "We'll take that inn you mentioned. Sounds good, perfect for us. We could easily work on what we need there."

Alahya stiffened, seeing someone walk over to them. Before she could speak, the guy spoke instead. "Excuse me, but do you have a job opening?" He asked. "I can build guns and and I am a-an Seeker."

She narrowed her eyes, glancing at Resool. "Why? Who are you? Why were you listening to us?"

Resool didn't speak, but his manner changed entirely at the appearance of this new guy.

Souter Somnus was having a good day up to that moment. 

It was his daughter Asha's birthday, and Souter had spent the entire morning playing with her. His son Eleeis told his mother that he wanted to be a doctor when he grew up, and Rachelle had hugged him so hard, his eyeballs looked like they were going to pop out. A new shipment of allomantic vials had arrived, a new recipe Souter's brother-in-law had been working on. Somehow, the man had figured out a way to saturate twice the metals in three-quarters of the liquid, and it was sure to be a hit once word got out. The sun was shining, but the wind was just right for it to be bearable. Children played in the street, men and women laughed and chatted. Not too many horses had pooped in the street. This was surely a night to celebrate. 

Souter was planning on celebrating all night long, which is why he was on his way to the sheriff's office with a bottle of fine Elendel wine and a smile on his face. Oh, what would old 'Sleepless Sout' think of me now? he mused. Chumming it up with a sheriff instead of running from em'? Ah, the old boss would shoot me dead to see me like this. And not just because of that incident at Juniper Gorge. Souter was lost in thought when a rather serious-looking young man bumped into him. Souter instinctively checked his pockets before chiding himself. You haven't needed to worry about pickpockets for nearly six years! No use fretting about it now! he told himself. 

When Souter looked up, what he saw made his blood run ice cold. No...it can't be...how could they even be alive? 

Seeing someone that has threatened to skin you alive can really put a damper on an otherwise good day. 

This man's all business, thought Finner as he eyed Kherstor's bag. "Equipment, eh? Well, if it's from the south it's bound to be somethin' real special," he said, not without a hint of sarcasm. He was curious, though, so he reached forward to try and open the bag.

"Not here," smiled Kherstor, dodging the attempt. "We need to start making our way to the Sheriff's office."

Finner sighed. "Alright. But first-" he stuffed the rest of the locha into his mouth- "buy me another locha. I finished mine," he said, voice barely comprehensible due to his ridiculously full mouth.

The look Kherstor gave him would have made Finner laugh, had he not been afraid of choking. Kherstor probably either thought he was insane for eating that much spice, or was repulsed by Finn's blatant disregard for proper table manners. Maybe even both. Either way, Finner refused to take a single step closer to the Sheriff's office until Kherstor walked back over to the counter and- with more than a little difficulty in understanding the baker's accent- ordered him another locha.

Thankfully, he used clips this time. It really got under Finner's skin that Kherstor had been willing to hand over four whole boxings in exchange for two sketchy pancake wraps. The man was obviously not from the slums, and he was definitely not lacking when it came to riches. Jealousy burned in Finner's stomach alongside the tin. However, he instinctively kept any emotion he felt under the surface. His expression, as usual, was one of sleepy indifference.

"Mighty proud of you for not trying to use boxings that time," he said lightheartedly, stifling a yawn as they left the bakery and headed down the street. Finner, locha in one hand and flask in the other, didn't feel as contrary about going to the Sheriff's office as he had before. The free food had definitely done a fantastic job at mollifying him.

He kept glancing at Kherstor's bag, however. He wouldn't be happy until he knew what was in there. Secrets were terrible things- at least, when Finn wasn't the one keeping them. "Anyways," drawled Finner, adjusting his hat to the sunlight. "What sort of equipment are we talkin'? The kind that'll help take down Misting scoundrels, I hope?"

(Venture, in the future could you try to have some more lines per post? The minimum is four. Just so things don't slow down.)

Alahya didn't like this guy. The way he approached, the way he was probably listening.. it rubbed her the wrong way. Made him sound more like a spy, not at all like this other small girl that Resool seemed to have taken a liking to. "Depends on who yer are," she replied back, crossing her arms across her chest. "If yer workin' for anyone else. Don't need no spies, now do we?"

Resool didn't speak, but he kept his eyes fixed on the stranger. He was a bit unnerving, towering there behind them. He wasn't built strongly, but was still very tall like the typical Terrisman. Despite th fact he wasn't an emotional Allomancer, he had no Allomancer blood whatsoever, he still tried to read the young, strange man who called himself Ven.

Kherstor turned back to face Finner- one hand on the door of the sheriffs office, other hand taking the bag off his shoulder.

"The very best kind at taking down Misting scoundrels, partner" Kherstor replied cheerfully. "Come on in, I'll show you after I check in", he added- pushing open the door to the sheriffs office. Finners expression was grave, Kherstor noted- had he been trying to avoid this place? As Kherstor entered the room, he tapped his metalmind to try and figure out what the problem was. The answer was obvious from first glance, however. The room stank of alcohol, papers were casually strewn across every visible surface that wasn't the floor, and the sheriff was standing in the center- shaking hands with one of a group of gentlemen, all laughing smugly. Kherstor didn't need the zinc to recognize the three from their wanted posters. 

"They're not mistings, not worth my time..." Kherstor muttered, scowling darkly. He hated letting criminals go, but what was the point of catching them if the sheriff was on their side? The cost of sending them to another village would be more than the bounty was worth, so why bother? Kherstor looked around a bit more. The room was divided into two halves- one with the sheriffs desk on it, the other with two large bulletin boards on them, and there was a door at the back of the room leading to the jails; all full, Kherstor noted- but he didn't recognize most of the criminals in them. Kherstor hoped it was because there was more cut-purses here worthy of an imprisonment sentence than he anticipated, but it was a vain hope. He forced a smile and a polite greeting at the outlaws as they walked past him and out of the building. It was always frustrating when imprisonment was lousy, made the whole job of bounty hunting pointless- but at the end of the day, it meant he never ran out of criminals to catch.

"Not my problem" he thought coldly to himself, and noticing Finner staring at him analytically through his sleepy facade- Kherstor regained his composure, and offered his own hand to the sheriff.

"Good to meet you, Sheriff. My name is Kherstor Suteruduen, and I'm sure you know Finner- we'll be working together on this case. We're hunting for the Outlaw: Jon the Mistborn, I figure we'd check in before getting started- so you know where we are and just in case you have anything you could share with us about his case"

"Jon the mistborn?" The Sheriff cackled through his thick mustache,

"That's just urban legend, boy- the bounty is just a formality! Even my Grand-kids know that there haven't been any mistborn outside of the old story's! Sorry pal- but there is no Jon, don't let the size of the bounty blind you; we've all made that mistake before, eh?" The sheriff laughed loudly, but neither Finner or Kherstor joined him. Kherstor had to veil a smile though, if the sheriff still believed Jon was a legend- then he and Finner would have no competition bringing Jon in. Or rather, them in. Kherstor had been hunting Jon for months, but every time he ever got close- he lost his tracks. Not only was Jons bounty about eight-fold a usual bounty, but capturing Jon would also bring in a huge boost in Kherstors prestige among the bounty hunter ranks- and he could use that reputation for his future jobs. Jon was a travelling entertainer, claiming to be a legendary mistborn- and would kill individuals in private for no apparent reason, earning him his bounty. That was what all the public knew, and most people would dismiss his existence as a story designed to scare children- but Kherstor had managed to work out the truth over the months. The rumors always spoke of Jons "disciples", which left only one rational conclusion. Jon was actually just a regular pewter arm, while his disciples were mistings who would preform the other allomatic arts while Jon pretended to- so it seemed like Jon was preforming all of them. It was so simple, even the odd commoner would have worked it out. And they did, if it weren't for them- perhaps Jon wouldn't have a bounty. Jons crew was a simple bunch, and if anyone ever confronted them about the truth- they would kill the offender in private, to ensure the truth didn't get out. Obviously, being a legend must have payed very well. After Kherstor had worked that out, he realized he couldn't do the job alone- tracking over ten people who could be anyone was not his specialty, that was when he had presented his theory to Finner and offered a partnership. Finner was a respectable tracker, and combined with Kherstors ability to render mistings powerless- capturing Jon would be all too easy. They knew he was around Callingfale, but given he traveled around- he could be anywhere in the city. Kherstor spoke again briskly once the sheriff had stopped laughing,

"I assure you, we can bring Jon the mistborn to justice- you just worry about your own criminals". Looking down at the sheriffs expensive shoes and coat- Kherstor added snarly, "Or rather, just worry about your own skin- I'd hate to have to hunt down a former sheriff caught taking any... Frivolous gifts..." Leaving the Sheriff spluttering, Kherstor let go of the metalmind- glanced over the bulletins, and walked out of the building. Finner followed, never leaving his apathetic state. 

"Alright, now that that's out of the way- can you take me to a local inn? I don't trust myself to open this bag unless we have absolute privacy. I was hoping the sheriffs office would be enough, but it appears I was mistaken..." Kherstor grumbled as they walked away from the office, and then added

"Also, its getting late- we should probably call it a day soon, when we can. It would make sense to have a good nights rest now, then start the hunt in the morning- agreed?"

Edited by Unodus

Ven eyed Resool. He looked like a scholar but the 2 girls following him didn't. He slowly reached into his jacket. The older girl drew a gun but Ven stayed calm as he handed a gun to Resool. " It is a hazekiller gun. Useful against Feruchemists and Allomancers." What was that noise? Ven suddenly became alert. Screams. Men suddenly burst out from side streets lifting guns. Ven reacted quickly, abandoning his weak persona and pulling out twin Sterrions. He fired, aiming at a burly man with a shotgun, however the bullet was Pushed away. This is bad, Ven thought as he counted over 20 men charging around the town. 3 of them were pulsing.

Sheriff, scoffed Finner inwardly as they left the building. That blasted man was no sheriff. He was hardly better than the criminals on the bounty list. Consorting with lawless men, arresting the innocent (well, relatively innocent). Constantly drunk. If he would even so much as try to do his job properly, the people of Callingfale might not be as worse off. But men like him were in the business of ruining lives, not bettering them. Of all people, Finner should know.

"Alright, now that that's out of the way," Kherstor grumbled, interrupting Finn's internal rant. "Can you take me to a local inn? I don't trust myself to open this bag unless we have absolute privacy. Also, it's getting late- we should probably call it a day soon, when we can."

Finner took off his hat and ran a hand through his tangled, sandy hair. "Sure thing. Iron Inn'll probably do. The name suits you just f-"

Screams. Shots. His groggy mind instinctively began tapping his metalmind, and adrenaline rushed through his body. "You hear that?" he said quietly. This was no mugging; Finner could hear legitimate fighting. Something big was happening- something dangerous. There would be information to gather, civilians to rescue. Without another word, he dashed quickly towards the source of the noise. Pewter might not agree with his stomach, but when he wasn't filling his metalmind, Finner could be just as nimble as a Thug. He thought he heard Kherstor pounding along behind him, but Finn was so focused on his destination, he didn't bother to double check.

The commotion was close; they reached the area in practically no time. Finner abruptly stopped sprinting and leaned against a building just out of range of the fighting, catching his breath. Peeking around the corner, he spied at least a dozen bandits wreaking havoc. A few of them had guns, including a man with twin Sterrions- though as Finner took a closer look, he realized this man was fighting against the bandits. That was good. But Rust and Ruin, he swore mentally. Why guns? Couldn't they have the courtesy to use quieter killing machines? Finn stopped burning tin and pulled out his glass dagger, though he wasn't sure what good he could do against this many. He was in way over his head. He looked behind him, seeking out Kherstor.

Edited by Lady Eowyn

Kherstor was already drawing upon his metalmind once more when he heard the gunshots ring out. Finner had run on ahead without a second thought, down the street- how naive. 

"Finner!" Kherstor shouted, trying to keep up "Rust and Ruin... You're going to fast for me...! Slow down!" 

It was already too late though, Finner probably couldn't hear him because his sensitive tin ears were recoiling from the short stabs of sound of the gunshots. As Finner raced ahead, Kherstor noted a row of stalls selling various spices on this street.

Unable to contain his grinning any longer, Kherstor leaped from the street and raced up a set of crates onto the top of a series of stalls. Ignoring the protests of the shopkeepers, Kherstor pulled himself up and jumped onto the rickety roof of the building the stall was connected to. From this lofty vantage point, Kherstor would be able to analyse the entire skirmish from above- and apply support where necessary. Whoever these attackers were, Kherstor couldn't care less- the thrill of drawing zinc had taken hold. Giddying energy filled him, threatening to consume him if he stopped moving; so he began to sprint to where the gunshots were coming from- the next corner. Keeping an eye on Finner below, Kherstor pegged across the old roofs of Callingfale- using his enhanced thought processing to analyse for any dodgy parts of the roof and calculate more appropriate paths. Thankfully, the houses were built in a single row- meaning Kherstor didn't have to leap from building to building like a madman. Not that he wouldn't have if the roof wasn't as it was, mind.

Even though Kherstor was slower than Finner, taking the roofs was less distance than going around the corner- so Kherstor was able to arrive at the scene just as Finner had taken cover behind the building which intersected with the next street where the commotion was happening. What he saw from his vantage nearly stopped him in his tracks. Over at least twenty vagabonds with guns and wearing handkerchiefs over their mouths to hide their faces swarmed the street, with little care for civilians. Twenty people was a lot for a small town like Callingfale- no way were they all locals. These... "people"... Attacking in broad daylight, in the middle of street, with no obvious target... It made no sense. Scanning the scene one more time, Kherstor noticed signs of allomancy being used- and a vicious teeth filled grin spread across his face as he burned chromium towards the crowd. Not caring about friend or foe, just reaching out to snuff out any reserves in the crowd- Kherstor waved his arm, and the reserves were gone. A few cries erupted from the street as the attackers arrogant abuse of their god-like powers dissipated. Quickly pulling out another bead of chromium and swallowing it like a pill, Kherstor drew his slender revolver and pulled back the hammer. Suddenly confronted without their powers, some of the attackers scattered in random directions, not sure what had just happened. The majority seemed unfazed though- and despite their sudden lack of allomancy, they still had their guns, which meant they were still a threat. Kherstor loosed three bullets into the crowd in quick succession- each one finding a spot on a bandit, enough to cripple but not kill. When drawing zinc, Kherstors aim was impeccable- but he was a bounty hunter, not a killer, and he only had so many bullets. Now that the rogues knew where he was, Kherstor took cover to avoid a spray of artillery from the panicking rioters. Kherstor looked deeper into the scene, tried to pinpoint what they were after. No wealthy benefactors or expensive jewelry in sight, so what did they want? Peeking his head up, he could see that the street side he was on had two horses on it- both with lawkeepers on them- and a girl caught by surprise at their side, gripping onto an allomatic vial as if her life depended of it. In front of them, a man duel wielding pistols was suppressing the bandits from them- but the bandits were clearly aiming for them.

Suddenly, all the pieces seemed to slide into place- and the answer became clear. The girl had a box with an allomatic mark on the lock in her other hand, a sign of a recently approved misting- given a set of flasks from the local metallurgist to commemorate her new place in society, it was a tradition that held strong even in the roughs. These attackers had to have been Jons men, only his wide influence could organize a heist this large in the roughs- there weren't any other crime leaders in the area who would pull off a stunt like this. It was so obvious now, this wasn't a random attack- it was a recruitment mission. Seeing a rascal who had snuck behind the peculiar party, raising his hands as if to grab the young girl- Kherstor lept from the roof and onto the grunt. The impact winded Kherstor, but he had managed to land feet first onto the attackers head- knocking the attacker out instantly. Without another thought, Kherstor turned to the lawkeepers on their horses and shouted over the sound of the gunshots-

"Hurry, you must get this girl out of here, she is who they are after- quick, get her on your horse and go!" 

After an initial pause of shock, the group sprung into motion

"Once this racket has died down, come meet me at the Iron Inn- I can explain what is happening then, but for now you must ride away before these men capture her!". Kherstor released his final 3 bullets down the street- each one felling its target. Slightly giddy from vertigo, Kherstor took off his hat and gave a slight bow

"Name's Kherstor, by the way. Can you get your horse around that corner? My partner should be around there, he should be able to slow down anyone chasing you long enough for ya'll to get away."

They surrounded Ven. A least a dozen. He dropped 2 with Sterrions bullets. A super fast man charged out of the crowd. The Pewterarm grabbed Ven and tossed him. Ven landed as the man threw a punch at him. Ven pulled a obsidian dagger out of his boot and slashed the man. " We have to get off the streets!"

Edited by Venture Mistborn

When the first man burst out of the side street, Souter's instincts had kicked in and he'd dove behind a convenient barrel. He'd immediately tapped his Bronzemind, and a wave of wakefulness crashed over his body, energizing him. His hands had found a fallen walking stick, and he had gripped it so tight his knuckles turned white and there was an audible crack. Souter had almost jumped out and brained a bandit when he thought about his children. 

What will happen to them if I get shot here? Rachelle will be crushed, and Asha and Eleeis will be fatherless. I cannot do that to them! I will not! But I have to help, somehow! 

Souter's internal monologue was cut short by a body crashing into the convenient barrel. Souter stumbled onto his rear, and quickly scrambled to his knees. The bandit groaned, and a dark spot was growing on the front of his shirt. He started to fumble with his shirt, but got no farther than the first two buttons before the walking stick shattered on his cranium. The bandit gave a short yelp, then relaxed, his eyes glazing over. 

Souter stared at the man. The action had been complete reflex, not a conscious decision on Souter's part. Souter's hands shook, and he stood with a start. He turned and saw a bandit make a grab at a girl holding a wooden box. Souter looked at the man, then at the unconscious bandit at his feet. He sighed, then picked up the splintered walking stick and charged towards the accouster, yelling something extremely brave and epic, like "AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGAH!" 

A fight! Great! None of Alahya's thoughts were sarcastic about it. She was having the time of her life! The Bendalloy misting threw up a speed bubble, rushing closer to one of her enemies, pulling him in with her, using the confusion of the moment to cut him down with a stone dagger. The man fell with a cry, and she didn't waste time, rushing to her next victim.

Resool, however, acted quickly. He knew what he had to do-get Bella out of here. There were others who had come, but he didn't wait to see who's side they were on. "Come on. I'm getting you out of here." His own horse had ran away, spooked from the fight, but Alahya's was still there. He grabbed the reigns, taking control before hoisting Bella up there. Then he climbed on himself. "Alahya! Meet me at the inn!" He shouted in Terris. He had no idea if she heard him, but he didn't wait. He kicked the beast into motion, taking off down the street.

“Showoff,” Finner muttered as Kherstor leapt from the rooftop, knocking out a bandit. The thug had been about to grab a girl standing by the horses. The frightened young thing was clutching vials and looking very much like she just wanted to run and hide. A pretty, short woman who had been standing near the girl leapt into action. Finn’s mouth dropped open as he watched her run at a bandit and then, after a split second of blurriness, step over his fallen body. Rust and Ruin, he thought. A Slider. Incredible.

A yell broke through the sounds of fighting. Finner looked back to the girl and saw a middle-aged fellow take out another bandit that had attacked her. Interesting, he thought, noting that the battle seemed to center around this girl. The older man, obviously sensing this as well, set the girl on his horse and climbed on behind her. He called out something in Terris, then spurred the horse and took off down a side street.

None of the bandits had seen Finner yet- he prided himself on his ability to go unnoticed- but, as he saw a couple kerchiefed men break away from the fighting to chase the horse, Finn knew that now was the time to reveal himself. Sheathing his dagger, he ran out from his hiding place and weaved through a couple fights- passing the Slider woman- to get to where the horse and its pursuers had disappeared. He sprinted down the street after them, using tin to track their footsteps. Soon, they were in sight; even though the horse was long gone, the bandits still ran forward.

“Hey!” Finner shouted. “Hey, stupid face!” Amazingly, one of the bandits- he sported a faded blue kerchief- stopped running abruptly and turned around. The other kept going, though he did glance back. Finner quickly drew his dart gun as he continued dashing towards Blue Guy. Although the poor fellow tried to draw his own gun, Finn raised his weapon to his mouth and blew. Blue Guy fell to the ground unconscious, a small dart sticking out of his neck. Without stopping, the twinborn chased after the remaining bandit, catching up to him when the lawbreaker- apparently realizing that he didn’t actually know where the horse and its riders had gone- paused at a pair of intersecting streets. Fwoop. Another dart. The second bandit dropped like a rock.

Finner stood over the unconscious man, clutching his side and breathing hard. Harmony! he cursed mentally. I haven’t ran this much in a long while. He filled his metalmind a little to try and calm his body down, simultaneously burning tin to keep his mind clear. Glancing around, he noticed that he was near the Iron Inn. Thank the Survivor. I'm done with running. He began to walk, then hesitated, glancing at the unconscious bandit. He shrugged after a second. He'll be asleep for a while yet. I'll just send someone to fetch him afore he wakes. Finn walked on. He was relieved when the inn soon came into sight.

Rainier wandered through the dark streets. Nighttime was her favorite part of the day, if that made sense. Unfortunately, it wasn't night. Just cloudy.

She heard shouts and crashes distantly. That was normal, really, for the city. Or maybe fights followed Rainier. Either way, she just ignored them at this point.

Pretty soon, the sounds died down. She hardly noticed.

She sat down, back to a wall. If the clouds were any indication, it would rain soon. That was good. She liked rain.

Better get some rest before the shopkeepers run me off, she thought. So she closed her eyes and tried to sleep, half-waiting for the prod with a broom handle and "go on, away from my shop!" that would inevitably come.

Alahya growled at one of the bandits, darting in to strike him with one of her daggers. The unsuspecting man fell, a soft, surprised breath of air leaving his mouth as he hit the stone street. She smirked, moving onto the next one, who was attacked in the same manner. At this point, the remaining few seemed to realize that there was a Slider in the mix, looking around madly for her. Perfect. Of course, she wasn't aiming to kill. She never did that. Oh, the men who she had taken out would be fine. Mostly shocked.

This was more of a game to her than a fight.

But she had to catch up to Resool and that girl, Bella. Alahya watched the others, wondering who's side they were on. One had been shot, and was crawling away into the ally. Pity.

With one last look at the bloody stone, she burned more Bendalloy and snuck away from the fight, keeping to the shadows as she found her way to the inn.

Rainier woke up before she fell asleep, for some reason. Cursed insomnia, she thought. Of course, she could try to rent a room in an inn, but she could never fall asleep in a comfy bed. She'd always end up sleeping on the floor.

She didn't bother trying to fall back asleep. It'd never work. She got up, stretched, and started wandering. Like always.

Life was boring.

She kept walking through alleyways. The sun was out now, making her grimace. Her eyes were either glued to the ground or squinting. She sighed and trudged onward, walking to nowhere. If only something would happen... anything...

Then her eyes alighted upon someone passed out on the ground. He had been shot.

Rust and ruin, can't the cosmere do anything by halves? was her last thought before she rushed over.

Rainier looked around and noticed the fight. Great. I've landed in a brawl. Still, she couldn't just leave this man here. So she managed to grab under his arms and drag him into another alley, away from the other people. Hopefully they wouldn't notice her.

Rainier didn't know the first thing about first aid. When she'd gotten sick, she'd waited for it to tide over. If she'd been hurt, she wrapped up whatever had been bleeding. She'd never had any serious wounds. Like this man...

She was a little queasy. Blood. She hated blood. She could deal with it, but she'd really rather not.

So she just tried to find where it was coming from, and cut some bits off his shirt with her knife to wrap it hastily. It would have to do. Until...

Until what? Rainier had no idea. So she just sat there, back to the wall, next to a possibly dying man.

Her day had become, quite suddenly, really, really messed up.