"Temporal" Metals

realmatist

I was happy with the metal arrangements at the end of HoA. There were 14 metals, with two more promised. Then, Brandon threw in 4 more (I didn't realize that he meant 2 more elements with 2 alloys, for a total of four). Now the enhancement quadrant is complete, but it leaves gold and electrum paired awkwardly with cadmium and benalloy. I always thought that gold, atium, electrum, and malatium belonged in a quadrant together.

So...

Refutations?

Ideas of what might be paired with cadmium and bendalloy if I'm right?

Ideas of what this might mean for the table of metals?

Ways of distinguishing between metals that let you see past/future events and metals that change the rate at which time progresses?

Edited by scorpio003

Yes, but gold is more related to atium than it is to cadmium or bendalloy. It doesn't dilate time, like cadmium or bendalloy. Atium, malatium, gold, and electrum all just let you see things. Cadmium and bendalloy just change the rate at which things happen.

Yes, but gold is more related to atium than it is to cadmium or bendalloy. It doesn't dilate time, like cadmium or bendalloy. Atium, malatium, gold, and electrum all just let you see things. Cadmium and bendalloy just change the rate at which things happen.

First of all, that's besides the point because we have it from half a dozen sources that Atium/Malatium are simply outside of the normal scheme of metal classifications, no matter how you might want to split them.

Second, recall that Gold/Electrum are a base/alloy pair, and so are expected to have similar effects. Metal pairs within the Physical and Mental categories behave quite differently from each other. Brandon has even said that Chromium/Nicrosil shouldn't have been quite as 1:1 with Aluminum/Duraluminum in their effects as they are, but they were just too interesting to pass up.

Edited by Kurkistan

The other quadrants don't all have direct relationships either, the only one that does is the enhancement metals. Physical metals don't all effect metal, by this theory pewter and tin should I suppose effect metals inside your own body, or iron/steel should effect the strength/senses of others. Atium can be alloyed with any of the 16 other metals and malatium isn't any different from those.

• Chaos locked this topic