I would like to announce....

Miyabi

Wow, that's exactly what I believe. I didn't know it was a religion, though. Guess you learn something every day. Just curious, but what do Deists and/ or you think about the afterlife, Emeralis00. If you don't want to answer that, feel free to. I don't want to insult anyone.

Its not really a religion, more like a set of beliefs that you happen to share with a bunch of other people. Deists don't have an overall unified view on an afterlife, its really up to what you believe. I try not to think about it to hard because if I do people start to freak out when I sit in one spot staring into space with a funny look on my face not responding to anything, which is what happens when I think about it.

Its not really a religion, more like a set of beliefs that you happen to share with a bunch of other people. Deists don't have an overall unified view on an afterlife, its really up to what you believe. I try not to think about it to hard because if I do people start to freak out when I sit in one spot staring into space with a funny look on my face not responding to anything, which is what happens when I think about it.

personally, i've always thought about it like this:

"Meh, i'll find out when i die. Until then, i have a life to live to the fullest capacity I can, regardless of which philosophy has it right"

Um, do you actually know what deism means. O.o

Deism is the belief that god doesn't interfere in any way.

I believe that god created the universe and then did nothing since. He is just an observer.

I just got your PM and didn't realize you had responded to me in this thread, I must have missed this post when I was reading it earlier. I get what Deism is, what I had asked was, what makes you believe that a god would take a "hands of" approach to governing the universe. What I meant to say was "hands off" I didn't realize I had left out the second "f" because the spell check didn't mark of as a misspelled word. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused, I'm going to go and edit that post now so it will make sense.

Well, I gathered THAT. I was kind of hoping for the relevant quote, since he gave us the initial chronology in response to my question on the Tor Q&A, and that it had changed was news to me. I hadn't realized yet how easy it would be to check the database myself. (Props!) I finally looked it up and realized that the initial announcement was a good paraphrase of Brandon's answer anyway, but initially I wondered if Cheese Ninja had pulled that info from a more juicy answer. Turns out not. Oh well.

Oh, our good Zas tweeted Brandon about it recently. Sorry for misunderstanding.

The tweets (god, I hate the new twitter interface):

https://twitter.com/#!/zas678/status/171708690532012032

https://twitter.com/#!/BrandSanderson/status/171711832069910528

https://twitter.com/#!/BrandSanderson/status/171712198421389312

There ya go.

Ah, but will you remember when to properly use "whom", or will it be something you forget and decide just to use "who" everywhere, like most of us lazy bums?

I've probably learned the correct usage 3 or 4 times in my life, but always forget it. I'll look it up again now...Eh, that's what I thought, I'm just going to forget it again.

Also, I'd like to announce that I still want to believe in ghosts, as ridiculous as they seem, despite knowing how fallible and easily deceived human perceptions and memory are. I wouldn't take it as proof of an afterlife, just proof that people could leave behind some bizarre record on the fabric of the universe, which is already fairly bizarre to me to begin with. I mean, we've got things like ball lightning and string theory.

Also, I could possibly be categorized as an Agnostic instead of an Atheist since I can't refuse the concept that the initial creation of the universe was perpetrated by a being with intelligence.

Edited by Cheese Ninja

I would like to announce that I was just pulled over for the first time ever. The registration for the car I was driving had had been expired since last August, I didn't have my license with me, and none of my passengers were wearing seatbelts. The ticket would have been nearly a thousand dollars and my car would have been impounded, instead I got off with a verbal warning.

I am the luckiest person on the planet :lol:

(for the record I had no idea my registration had been expired)

How are you not in jail?

It was my parents car so he believed me when I told him I didn't know the registration was up (I actually was telling the truth). He asked for my license which I told him I didn't have with me, he got my information, took the registration and insurance papers back to his car and came back five minutes later and asked me how long I had had my license. I told him it had been 1 year and 2 months and he said because it was the first time I had got pulled over he was going to let me off with a warning, but if he saw the truck driven around before it got registered again then he would impound it (the truck I was driving is bright orange so I'm sure he'll remember it and check it next time he sees it). He also told me to never drive without bringing my license again, and then he left. I waited five minutes until I was sure he was far away and then drove the rest of the way home.

EDIT*** And I think he just didn't notice that my passengers weren't wearing seat belts.

Edited by SOM1else

And that is why I always keep my license in my wallet and my wallet in my pocket. I've trained myself to freak out if I can't feel my wallet in my pocket, and so I never leave home without it.

i'm the same way, if my keys arent in one pocket, my wallet in another, and my phone in my back pocket when i'm not at home i'd probably freak out.

I would like to announce that this is post number 1111. Or, for those binary-inclined, 15. So close!

Isn't 16 10000? That's not very close at all.

10000 is the next number after 1111. Binary is a base 2 system.

so when you add 1 to the first digit. it becomes a 0. since the only digits are 0 and 1.

Repeat until the last digit, 1111. It becomes a 0. then you carry the 1 into the next spot.

so you end up with 10000.

I would like to announce that today at work, a disgruntled drug addict chucked a stack of paper at me. The positive side is that the stack was comprised of results for neurological and radiological tests that were missing from his chart. Thanks, crazy dude!