I would like to announce....

Miyabi

Yeah, seriously, getting a 30 is the 97th percentile. It's fine. I know it's hard to wrap my head around that normalization they always do to the score to realize it isn't, like, 30/36 (83%), it's that you're really in the 97th percentile. It's a much happier way of looking at things.

Yeah, i've always been slightly curious as to how they measure it. Because I know they supposedly reevaluate it every year or something so that the score percentiles remain the same (i.e. if students in 2007 scored terribly like, say the 97th percent tile was 25% of questions right, then you still scored that 30 or so on it) and then on top of that they spread it around in a funny manner like you're saying where the "97th" percentile is spread over like 4 or 5 points.

Since we're talking about it, I would like to announce that my ACT score was a 32. /Bragging.

Nice job!

Yeah, i've always been slightly curious as to how they measure it. Because I know they supposedly reevaluate it every year or something so that the score percentiles remain the same (i.e. if students in 2007 scored terribly like, say the 97th percent tile was 25% of questions right, then you still scored that 30 or so on it) and then on top of that they spread it around in a funny manner like you're saying where the "97th" percentile is spread over like 4 or 5 points.

That kind of makes sense, statistically, but does render the whole "what did you get on the test" thing relatively moot. You just have a 30 relative to people who took the test at the same time.

Meh. I'm fairly convinced there's no way to perfectly standardize a test.

That kind of makes sense, statistically, but does render the whole "what did you get on the test" thing relatively moot. You just have a 30 relative to people who took the test at the same time.

Meh. I'm fairly convinced there's no way to perfectly standardize a test.

Yeah, it's certainly not an easy metric to measure. Though, i suppose that relatively speaking, comparing what you got year to year with someone (that is, comparing what say I got back in 2002 to what someone here got in say the last couple of years or so) isn't exactly proportionally correct, but at the same time is probably mostly accurate in the sense that, law of averages and all, the scores probably don't fluctuate that greatly year to year. That is, of course, barring some sort of extreme increase to the overall intelligence of future test takers.

Though, it is interesting to wonder. My 31, and your 30, how do they REALLY compare up? Would my 31 be like a 28 or something for your year? Would your 30 end up being like 33 or 34 back when i took it?

I would like to announce...

... that, after years of waiting, finally I managed to get a second-hand copy of stand-alone novel 'Lord of No Time' by Louise Cooper, written in 1977 and which years after became the 'Time Master' trilogy, far easier to find and which I'd recommend to everybody.

*happy dance*

Oh, did I mention I loved it? It has actually quite a different... something that makes it shine with its own light. Its philosophy and the one of trilogy which would be written later are actually quite different.

I would like to announce that I just played piano in my university's Concert Winds ensemble's performance of Hindemith's Konzertmusik, Op. 49 (for 10 brass, two harps, and piano).

is a professional recording, if you want to know what it sounds like. We're students, so we don't sound quite like that, but it went well. (If you don't want to listen to the whole thing [although it's worth doing so], skip to 5:25; that's the best movement.)

I have read the Time Master Trilogy and liked it, is the Lord of No Time very different?

There are some differences, as it is an early work. Differences in...

Sashka, for example. She's a very minor character. Differences in Tarod's acceptance of who and what he is - I won't say what the difference is, that's for you to find it. Drachea's character is also different, as well as Themila's -though not as much. Tarod's relationship with Cyllan changes - and also with Keridil, somehow. Even the Circle's role changes, and you don't get to know what Tarod is till the very end. It's definitely worth a read.