I would like to announce....

Miyabi

So tomorrow morning in less then 8 hours I have to take the PSATs at my school. How long have I known about them? Over a year. How much time have I spent studying for them? Less than 15 minutes. What did I do all night instead of cramming at the last minute? Easy, I discovered Arrested Development.

I plan on acing it, let's see how that goes...

I didn't find that the PSATs mattered at all. Sure, if you do super awesome, it's possible to get a scholarship, but competition is so incredibly high for that.

As far as I can remember, the PSAT didn't matter for college, or really, anything at all. Most of the tests you take in high school don't matter (though I guess it depends on what you want to do). The real SAT? Yes. However, if you get a choice, take the ACT instead. Colleges always can convert between the two, and I found the ACTs much more straightforward. The SAT tries to trick you.

Also, the SAT writing portion is such BS. You can't write a proper essay in 25 minutes. Hell, I can barely write certain theory replies here that quickly, and I know and care about the cosmere. A 25 minute essay on a prompt you've never seen before is ludicrous. The ACT writing gives you a bit more time, and their prompts are straightforward persuasive essays.

Anyways, since the PSATs don't matter, just have fun and don't worry about it.

Also, the SAT writing portion is such BS.

Actually, it isn't Brandon Sanderson. If BS had written it, it might have things worth reading and essay topics worth writing about. :P

I will disagree on the PSAT not mattering; it is less important than the SAT, but if you can get a good score, it will look good on college apps (even without reaching scholarship level).

However, concerning the essay, I agree completely. It doesn't test anything except perhaps the ability to write quickly. This article might interest you.

Actually, it isn't Brandon Sanderson. If BS had written it, it might have things worth reading and essay topics worth writing about. :P

I will disagree on the PSAT not mattering; it is less important than the SAT, but if you can get a good score, it will look good on college apps (even without reaching scholarship level).

However, concerning the essay, I agree completely. It doesn't test anything except perhaps the ability to write quickly. This article might interest you.

;) That'd be fun to read some of Brandon's essays for something like that.

I suppose you are right about the PSAT. I don't think I put it on my applications, though.

I saw an article like that. That made me so mad, because I didn't know that when I wrote the essay. I actually cared being factual, and it's hard to do that in the time constraint.

Man. If I was doing that now... I'm imagining someone just blabbing about Shards and Splinters, referencing Brandon's works all the way through, and getting a 6. That'd be hilarious.

The only one that I took of those tests was the one that scores from like 1-40 (i dont remember which is which, i always confuse them). I never took the one that goes from like 800-3000 or whatever. I scored high enough on it to skip my college entrance exam and got a few grand scholarship. I scored a 31 or so, which i'm pretty sure is/was above average, but not like stupidly genius level high.

Also: did exactly 0 minutes of studying and never took a practice test. And I only did it once, because i didnt wanna do it again. :P

*is a clearly model student*

Just so you know, I've never encountered any scholarship or college application that asked for my PSAT score. Ever. The only way it benefited me was because, well, it's practice. I did significantly better on the real thing because I knew what to expect.

I've also heard it said that if you're not a math/science-type person, the SAT is better to take, since it's just math and verbal. So take that for what it's worth. I wouldn't know; I never took the ACT.

Also, I would like to announce that my plane ticket and book preorders for the Alloy of Law midnight release have been purchased! :D

Yay Alloy of Law!

Honestly, the science portion of the ACT is a joke. You don't need to know any biology, chemistry, or physics. It's "hey let's read graphs and tables!" Sure, the graphs and tables are related to science, but you don't need to know or care about that to answer the problems. It just as well could have been about graphs related to Schlock's amorph abilities or Martians.

I would like to announce that me + mistcloak = klingon, according to a really confused con-goer.

I took the SAT the very first time they gave it with the essay, so no one had any idea what it would be like...apparently following the essay-writing guidelines we learned in AP US History, though, was not the way to go.

Also, even if you score high enough on the PSAT to qualify for the scholarship, a lot of colleges don't offer anything for it.

I never took the SAT (which is the one that is in the hundred's range). But I did take the ACT, like 5 times. Want to know what's sad? One of the times I took it, I studied like mad. I took a class, went all the way through one of those test books, spent hours taking pre-tests... and got the same score as before.

The next time I took the ACT, I took only 1 practice test, and I got a better score.

So though I do believe that studying does help (I'm pretty sure that that better score was partially because of my massive studying last time), know that the tests have a lot to do with luck, and how you're doing that day.

Also, I've never been asked my PSAT score. Don't sweat about it. If you do well and get a scholarship, Great! If you don't, it doesn't really matter. There's a lot more local scholarships that are easier to get.

@Eerongal- I'm pretty sure that you took the ACT. And 31 is a pretty nice score. (though I did better by a point! hehehe)

I never took the SAT (which is the one that is in the hundred's range). But I did take the ACT, like 5 times. Want to know what's sad? One of the times I took it, I studied like mad. I took a class, went all the way through one of those test books, spent hours taking pre-tests... and got the same score as before.

The next time I took the ACT, I took only 1 practice test, and I got a better score.

So though I do believe that studying does help (I'm pretty sure that that better score was partially because of my massive studying last time), know that the tests have a lot to do with luck, and how you're doing that day.

Also, I've never been asked my PSAT score. Don't sweat about it. If you do well and get a scholarship, Great! If you don't, it doesn't really matter. There's a lot more local scholarships that are easier to get.

@Eerongal- I'm pretty sure that you took the ACT. And 31 is a pretty nice score. (though I did better by a point! hehehe)

I agree. I think it's important to be prepared, but once you get into the high percentiles, it largely depends on the questions. I got a 30 Composite score my sophomore year, and I decided that since I was consistently getting around a point of that in the practice tests, why bother take it again?

I agree. I think it's important to be prepared, but once you get into the high percentiles, it largely depends on the questions. I got a 30 Composite score my sophomore year, and I decided that since I was consistently getting around a point of that in the practice tests, why bother take it again?

yeah, honestly a point or two really doesn't mean a whole lot. The only reason I would have considered retaking it was if i totally bombed it and got like 12 or something on it. Going from like 25-26 or something wouldn't really change a whole lot.

Though, back in the day, it was pretty awesome getting such a nice score while being like totally unprepared, because everyone I talked to about it was all "Wow, you must have really studied pretty hard!" to which I generally replied "Nope! Showed up with a calculator without studying a minute!."

yeah, honestly a point or two really doesn't mean a whole lot. The only reason I would have considered retaking it was if i totally bombed it and got like 12 or something on it. Going from like 25-26 or something wouldn't really change a whole lot.

Though, back in the day, it was pretty awesome getting such a nice score while being like totally unprepared, because everyone I talked to about it was all "Wow, you must have really studied pretty hard!" to which I generally replied "Nope! Showed up with a calculator without studying a minute!."

Yeah, seriously, getting a 30 is the 97th percentile. It's fine. I know it's hard to wrap my head around that normalization they always do to the score to realize it isn't, like, 30/36 (83%), it's that you're really in the 97th percentile. It's a much happier way of looking at things.