The Way of Kings Typos list:

mycoltbug

WoK ch. 8 Pg. 136 kindle addition 

She didn’t care at the moment. “Discriminating,” she said, testing the world. “I’m not certain I agree with your choice of words. To discriminate is to maintain prejudice against. To be exclusive. Can a person afford to be exclusive with what they ingest? Whether we speak of food or of thoughts?”

Should read "testing the word." 

Pg. 240

“You do,” Dalinar said. The horse nickered, seeming content. Dalinar checked the leg, then nodded to the groom. “Take good care of him, son. I’ll ride another horseback.”

Should be two separate words. "Horse back." 

Edited by Calderis

• 5 weeks later...

After reading through WOK twice and listening to the audio version, I've just noticed this time inconsistency.

Ch. 58 -

Just after Dalinar finishes quoting WOK to Sadeas

"It was ridiculous," Sadeas said frankly, waving for a servant to bring him some wine.  Yellow, as it was yet morning. .....

Then after a short conversation and Dalinar ogling Navani:

He averted his gaze from her, but found that he couldn't watch the dueling swordsmen without catching sight of her in the corner of his eye.  So, instead, he glanced up into the sky, squinting against the afternoon sun.

Not sure if this is considered a typo, but around page 677-78 in chapter 45 (I'm looking at it on Kindle), Shallan mentions that

Spoiler

the garnet Kabsal had given her had stopped glowing after she used it to soulcast. In a chapter 48, though, she hears Jasnah calling for a garnet to soulcast and remembers she has one. This stone should be dead though, with no light in it. In chapter 70 around page 965 Shallan mentions that the garnet has a small glow, meaning most of the light had been used in the soulcasting Jasnah did, but Jasnah couldn't have used that one. Shouldn't the sphere have already been dead, since she mentioned it stopped glowing earlier? it hasn't been able to be recharged at this point. Jasnah could have used another garnet, but the one Shallan had shouldn't be glowing still unless I don't understand how soulcasting works.

Edited by kadengt

• 2 weeks later...

Prologue in the paperback version. It's not really a typo, just something that is contradicted in WoR.

page 12 and 21 szeth summons his Blade, taking him 10 heartbeats, yet honourblades only take 5 to summon.

page 17 szeth says that he can't heal from a cut made by a shardblade, yet both he and kaladin does so in WoR.

Edited by Lord Bookworm

53 minutes ago, Lord Bookworm said:

page 12 and 21 szeth summons his Blade, taking him 10 heartbeats, yet honourblades only take 5 to summon.

Where is it ever shown that Honorblades take 5? As far as I'm aware, the only blade summoning is 10 heartbeats, or no requirement. 

54 minutes ago, Lord Bookworm said:

page 17 szeth says that he can't heal from a cut made by a shardblade, yet both he and kaladin do so in WoR.

Szeth can't heal from a Shardblade wound via the Honorblade. He never takes a hit bad enough to kill a limb and need healing. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1133#89

QUESTION

Szeth says in the first stormlight book that he can’t heal from a shardblade--

BRANDON SANDERSON

He can’t.

QUESTION

So when he got cut he couldn’t heal that…

BRANDON SANDERSON

No. Not with his powers.

QUESTION

Not from an honorblade.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Not from an honorblade

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't looked at this thread before, and upon visiting it for the first time, am surprised to find that:

• it is (legitimately) active within the past few weeks, despite "The Way of Kings" being the first book and published back in 2011
  • that the "Ars Arcana" section at the back of the book is, in fact, read out loud in the audiobook version
  • that this thread is not, in fact, entitled "The Way of Knigs Typo List" (the "L" in "List" should be capitalized, lose the dangling colon, and "Knigs" is mismispelled!)

More of a contradiction than a typo. In chapter 27:

Bridge Four had been called out on a bridge run today. Thankfully, they’d arrived before the Parshendi, and none of the bridge crews had lost any men. Things hadn’t gone so well for the regular Alethi troops. The Alethi line had eventually buckled before the Parshendi assault, and the bridge crews had been forced to lead a tired, angry, and defeated troop of soldiers back to the camp.

Later in that chapter on the same day:

They weren’t scheduled to be on duty for any bridge runs—their run the day before exempted them. Instead, they were supposed to be assigned to Sadeas’s smithy to help lift ingots and other supplies.

There appears to be a discrepancy as to which day the bridge run was on. It could be interpreted as two separate bridge runs, but at this point in the story any dead or wounded men would be notable. (thus the careful explanation that nobody died in the first quote)

Follow-up on my last post...

In working through the timeline for TWoK I've found a number of minor contradictions. If this is ever being reviewed for the 10th anniversary edition or something... I'll try to remember to add them here as I find them.(1) The Chasmfiend hunt and aftermath happens in chapters 12, 13, and 15. In the next Kholin PoV we see Dalinar meet with Elhokar and the hunt is mentioned as having happened "last week" and "a week ago". In the next Kholin PoV after that we have two references to Dalinar's meeting having been 2 days prior and one reference where Elhokar says the hunt was "3 days ago". By one reckoning there was a week between the first two sets of chapters, by another a single day passed. There's a few more soft pieces of evidence in later chapters that slightly suggest one timeline or the other, so nothing that conclusively says which reckoning is incorrect. I can dig these up if necessary. I suspect Elhokar's statement is false.

(2) We have been told that Kaladin's (20th) birthday happens over the course of TWoK. This leads to two problems I see with Kaladin's flashback timing. Chapter 31 is "Six Years Ago" and Kaladin states that he will turn 15 in 5 months. If his birthday is within a month or two of the present date, this flashback should be at a half-year increment. He's currently 14.5 and in TWoK he is roughly 20, making this flashback 5.5 years ago rather than 6.

(3) This isn't in the book exactly, but maybe there's some basis prompting it that's incorrect... Karen mentioned that "Chapter 40, when Kaladin recovers from being strung up in the storm, is the same day as the chasmfiend hunt in Chapter 12." There is a bridge run in the second half of chapter 40 (same day), but Sadeas is apparently off on the hunt. Maybe his army went without him? It doesn't seem his presence is explicitly mentioned. But I figured this was worth pointint out.

(4) And we have the same problem with Chapter 41. The chapter is "Five and a half years ago." Kaladin comments on what his father did (in Chapter 31) "five months ago". This would put him at roughly 15 years old, toward the end of the year, and the chapter should be 5 years ago.

(5) In chapter 30, Kaladin claims to have been on two dozen bridge runs. ("Kaladin had been on two dozen, and he was already one of the most experienced living bridgemen.") It would be complicated to delve into all the details here, but by my calculation he can't have been on more than 15 at this point. I believe there's an argument to be made that the two dozen is an exaggerated number. Some have also proposed that dozen=10 on Roshar. But if Kaladin's statement is meant to be taken literal, it isn't very well supported. This leads to a large point, which is that Kaladin doesn't seem to spend as much time as a bridgeman as it seems he actually has. Again, this could be a matter of Kaladin exaggerating. But multiple things give me the sense that Brandon imagined Kaladin being out there longer than the book seems to say.

(6) The same could be said of the Dalinar chapters. By my calculation, Dalinar's Part 2 chapters are set much later than the Kaladin chapters they are intertwined with. When you do the math, his TWoK storyline is compressed more than some wording would suggest (e.g. a sense that months have passed, but when we look at the clear numbers we are given, it's more like a matter of weeks). 

(7) Speaking more generally, it seems like the three different main viewpoints aren't in sync with one another. I'm assuming it wasn't Brandon's intention to do so, in which case... Nothing to see here. But if it was... When you fit all of the pieces together you find that: (A) Shallan's Part 1 chapters happen a few weeks to a month before Kaladin's Part 1 chapters. (B) Kholin Part 2 chapters run a few weeks behind Kaladin's Part 2 chapters. (C) Shallan's Part 3 chapters mostly happen during Kaladin's Part 4 chapters. (D) Even when timelines are mainly synced up, it's not uncommon to have some Kaladin chapter X happen after a Kholin chapter X+1. (or similar) Again, I'm assuming that this level of interconnectivity isn't intended. Just wanted to highlight that there are some issues (most of which could probably be adjusted easily) if it is.

Another one I caught tonight on a reread is that on the assault on the Tower, the two armies are described as such: "On the nearby staging plateaus, thousands upon thousands of soldiers in blue or red were gathered, one color per plateau." (pg. 894, Chapter 65)

Sadeas' Shardplate is red, which is how I assume this mistake was made, but Sadeas' house colors are white and green, not red. A passage later in that chapter confirms it: "The Parshendi had noticed what was happening and had begun to put pressure on the small company in green and white that Sadeas had sent to defend his entry area." (pg. 898)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Isaac may bring this up himself, but I'm making note of it here... Khokh and linil are mixed up in chapter 28.

Full explanation here: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6487-stormlight-archive-translation-guide/?page=13#comment-580471

Isaac confirmed it's a mistake here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/78wae1/-/doxfoyn/?context=3

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so this isn’t exactly a typo; it’s an error that was not in error when WoK was initially published. Timeline changes have made this an error.

There is also an actual typo; the bolded comma should be a semicolon.

On page 971 of my poor, badly battered softcover there is this line: ‘Dalinar could remember the jealousy on that day some ten years ago, when the itch to attack Gavilar - the only worthy opponent he could see, the man who had won Navani’s hand- had nearly consumed him.’

The date should be 27/28 years ago, if I’m counting right. It is certainly not ten.

Spoiler

How many years after WoK does OB take place? Rosharan years confuse me. We saw a weeping in WoR...

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2016 at 1:01 PM, Szeth-Son-Neturo said:

Cant remember what page but it says somewhere "If I could, I would take all ten arnies and leave the Plains" or something like that, it's a Dalinar quote

Kindle version, Chapter 58, location 16176-ish is where arnies occurs in my copy.

Edit: Kindle version, Chapter 69, location 18763-ish: obviousseeming should probably be obvious-seeming.

Edited by Ioannes

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Very minor potential continuity issue concerning Navani's choice in perfume:

TWoK chapter 69:

And then Dalinar found himself grabbing her in an embrace. He had to be careful as he was in Shardplate, but the gauntlets let him feel the silk of her dress, and his missing helm let him smell the sweet floral scent of her perfumed soap. He held her as tightly as he dared, bowing his head and pressing his nose into her hair.

“Hmm,” she noted warmly, “it appears that I was missed. The others are watching. They’ll talk.”

OB chapter 1:

Spoiler

She embraced him. He held to her, feeling her warmth, smelling her perfume. She preferred a less floral scent than other women—a fragrance with spice to it, like the aroma of newly cut wood.

The easy explanation is that, in TWoK, she just wasn't wearing her preferred scent. Simple and reasonable.

But I'm guessing it's just a small oversight that would be better off retconned.

12 minutes ago, Jofwu said:

Very minor potential continuity issue concerning Navani's choice in perfume:

TWoK chapter 69:

OB chapter 1:

Hide contents

She embraced him. He held to her, feeling her warmth, smelling her perfume. She preferred a less floral scent than other women—a fragrance with spice to it, like the aroma of newly cut wood.

The easy explanation is that, in TWoK, she just wasn't wearing her preferred scent. Simple and reasonable.

But I'm guessing it's just a small oversight that would be better off retconned.

The easier explanation is that she is wearing a floral scent to make Dalinar frisky even though she doesn't love it. 

(How you spot this stuff jof is completely beyond me)

• 2 weeks later...

In the ebook, Sadeas' men are listed as wearing red instead of green in the scene where Adolin intervenes in the marketplace. My paperback copy (UK edition) doesn't have this error though, just my ebook. 

TWoK Chapter 46 

"Sadeas’s officer hesitated. The officer in blue rested his hand on the hilt of his sword. The other two were holding fine halberds with gleaming half-moon heads.

A group of soldiers in red moved out of the crowd and began to surround those in blue."

• 3 months later...

I found several more errors on my reread that haven't been reported in this thread yet. I found them in the hardcover but I'm only reporting the ones that are also in the current ebook. All given page numbers are from the hardcover.

p. 370: "Do you have a thought on whom should I approach next?" should be "whom I should"

p. 397: "Earless Jacks snorted" His name is Jaks, not Jacks.

p. 448: "Shin Stone Shamans would recover it from whomever had killed him" should be "whoever". The subject of the phrase "whoever had killed him" is "whoever". The word is not the object of "from" but is part of the phrase that is the object of "from".

p. 477: in the hardcover, "like how to best get the ardents there to accidentally drink a mixture that will turn his mouth blue"; in the ebook, "like how to best get the ardents there to accidentally drink a mixture that will turn their mouthes blue". Changing "mouth" to the plural form is correct, but it should be "mouths", not "mouthes".

p. 582: "Lirin ordered gathering his sewing needle" should be "Lirin ordered, gathering his sewing needle"

p. 781: "smashing a few Rockbuds beneath his plated boots." Should be "rockbuds", not "Rockbuds". That word is not capitalized anywhere else in the book.

p. 784: "Parshendi blood splashed in the air as he killed" Shardblades don't cut living things, so there shouldn't be any blood from Dalinar's fighting. It is discussed elswhere in the book how there is no blood where he fights but blood everywhere where his soldiers fight.

p. 799: "The last time he'd been alone had been that night when he'd been tied up for the highstorm to kill him." This is not at all true; in chapter 46 Kaladin wanders around Sadeas's camp by himself and sees Adolin rescue a prostitute from a lighteyes.

p. 911: "rushing across bridge six" everywhere else has been capitalized as "Bridge Six"

p. 999: "Most men would pick one of those, if given the choice, and name them the greatest of talents" should be "name it the greatest of talents"

I tried to make sure I didn't report any that have already been reported.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Someone posted some potential continuity errors concerning Dalinar on Reddit. Pretty sure some of these have been captured, and some may not be errors. But I wanted to make sure these points didn't get overlooked, so I'm going to paste them here for reference:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I found some punctuation issues in Way of Kings, US Kobo version.

Chapter 14

Oh, I know we have chores - foraging in the chasms,cleaning latrines, 

^missing a space character after "chasms,"

And here's a fun one that I suspect is technically a software issue and not a typing mistake.  The wrong curly quotes in many instances - putting a second opening curly quote mark instead of a closing one.

I stood in the darkened monastery chamber,’ Litima read,

(and this one is missing opening quotes as well)

“ ‘Candle flames,’ Litima continued.

“ ‘I understood in a moment of stillness,’ Litima read.

“ ‘Uncle,’ Danlan read,

“ ‘As I expected, I have found my way to Kharbranth,’ Danlan read.

(and more in this conversation)

“ ‘I walked from Abamabar to Urithiru,’ Dalinar said

(and more in this conversation)

“ ‘Save them,’ Kaladin whispered.

Edited by Snorkel

On 11/22/2010 at 1:04 PM, mycoltbug said:

Brandon asked that since TWG went down that we track all the typos for The Way of Kings. Please list any you find.

Thanks

I noticed in the Audible version of the Way Of Kings that they described Sadeas's men as wearing red, I'm fairly certain that it shoul be green. I think it was at the scene where he abandons Dalinar at the Tower.