Mistrunner

You Know You're a Sanderfan When... Part 2

9,015 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, HemalurgicStickBreaker said:

I like Tolkien and his originality is just as if not more impressive then "The Sand-man" but Sanderson is a better writer

/\

When you constantly criticize other peoples books/authors, like this || 

Just because he's been dead since 1973 doesn't mean he becomes a background figure who we all know about but never mention. J. R. R. Tolkien has done more for the genre of fantasy than any other contributor and it seems I'm the only one to give him the praise he deserves anymore. My apologies if I came off as derogatory in my last post, but I really feel he needs more respect within fantasy circles. One of the best compliments I can give Sanderson is that his world building is probably the best we've seen since Tolkien himself.    

If you know who Dennison Crestmar is. 

2 hours ago, Ammanas said:

If you know who Dennison Crestmar is. 

Firstborn, Whoo-hoo! Making your competent alter ego commit suicide! 

3 hours ago, Booknerd said:

Just because he's been dead since 1973 doesn't mean he becomes a background figure who we all know about but never mention. J. R. R. Tolkien has done more for the genre of fantasy than any other contributor and it seems I'm the only one to give him the praise he deserves anymore. My apologies if I came off as derogatory in my last post, but I really feel he needs more respect within fantasy circles. One of the best compliments I can give Sanderson is that his world building is probably the best we've seen since Tolkien himself.    

I acknowledge that Tolkien, is the grandfather of modern fantasy, he was mind blowingly creative, creating fantasy as it is today, I'm a longtime Hobbit fan, I've read some of his other works including: Silmarillion, Sons of Hurim, Lotr, and The story of Kullervo. Tolkien is very good, and as I say again the creator of modern fantasy, and I agree that he should get more credit, but I still prefer Brandon Sanderson.

50 minutes ago, HemalurgicStickBreaker said:

I acknowledge that Tolkien, is the grandfather of modern fantasy, he was mind blowingly creative, creating fantasy as it is today, I'm a longtime Hobbit fan, I've read some of his other works including: Silmarillion, Sons of Hurim, Lotr, and The story of Kullervo. Tolkien is very good, and as I say again the creator of modern fantasy, and I agree that he should get more credit, but I still prefer Brandon Sanderson.

I get that

I actually never was able to really get into Tolkien. To me, Sanderson is top because I was just never involved in Tolkien’s books like I am in Sanderson’s.

Anyways, YKYASFW you get to the beginning of the Battle of Thaylen Field, look at the time, debate for a minute, sigh, then read until midnight to finish.

When you get worried while writing this post because we (probably?) aren’t half way through quarantine and you need something to read. (I’ll probably start my Harry Potter reread early. I normally start it in May...)

When you go shooting and keep feeling like you should be able to Push on the casings. (I've been rereading the Wax and Wayne books).

5 minutes ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

YKYASF when you dye an Easter egg to look like Szeth.

Do we get a picture of this beautiful creation? 

Sure! It’s more a little rough, I had trouble dying everything how I wanted it to look

2808CF9A-8736-4DFB-8E12-D5601DE084F4.jpeg

870F6F8C-BFE5-48A1-A2A2-2BDF980C5219.jpeg

95BEAB52-6165-4DFE-A7C4-7758A6BB7F7F.jpeg

Edit: Sorry they’re a bit sideways-ish

Edited by Truthless of Shinovar

I like the tears

40 minutes ago, DoomStick said:

I like the tears

Hehe, those were by accident:P

20 minutes ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Hehe, those were by accident:P

But still applicable.

Ykyasfw you can tell which books have been in your backpack because of the creasemarks 

when you do your SA reread to early and have to reread everything else to make up the time until RoW

when you start explaining to the intricacies of the Cosmere to your dog who just wants to play fetch, and then you concede by explaining it to him while you play fetch

Ykyasfw you start using Rosharan curses all the time.

2 minutes ago, Experience said:

Ykyasfw you start using Rosharan curses all the time.

Ykyasfw you usually don't use the curses but when you are stuck inside reading sanderson books all day it rubs off on you. Your annoyance at being stuck inside and reading sanderson very often forces you to accidentally use them

You know your a writer Sanderfan when you're designing magic systems specifically to compete with his. (Or get aspirations for vast and complex possibilities in my case)

21 hours ago, The Deity said:

when you start explaining to the intricacies of the Cosmere to your dog who just wants to play fetch, and then you concede by explaining it to him while you play fetch

Never before hath such a beautiful imagining landed in mine mind, good sir or madame. Mine day 'tis truly blessed.

YKYASFW you have a reread plan during quarantine

I'm annoyed. I live in a small house of three bedrooms. Normally it wasnt a problem. I even had my own room. Everyone but me were sharing. Then my little sister was born and now she is in it most of the day and I dont really have access to anything in there. So i cant listen to the cosmere series and I don't have it on kindle or in physical form yet. So Im mad because I cant do my cosmere re read. Because my family doesn't let me do it outside of my room.

1 hour ago, Shallan&Pattern said:

Because my family doesn't let me do it outside of my room.

I had the opposite problem. Growing up, my parents wouldn't let me go to my room and read.

3 hours ago, Shallan&Pattern said:

I'm annoyed. I live in a small house of three bedrooms. Normally it wasnt a problem. I even had my own room. Everyone but me were sharing. Then my little sister was born and now she is in it most of the day and I dont really have access to anything in there. So i cant listen to the cosmere series and I don't have it on kindle or in physical form yet. So Im mad because I cant do my cosmere re read. Because my family doesn't let me do it outside of my room.

Defy them

(or order some earbuds)

When you and a friend (who hasn't read any Cosmere stuff in ages) start having a conversation about which Cosmere characters we would go drinking with. She invited another one of her friends who's a Sanderfan, and we started discussing how to get all these characters to one planet and us to the Cosmere. And we're bringing a goat named Tanavast. (All three of us are both underage and LDS, and the Cosmere isn't real, so unfortunately, none of this will come to be. Except maybe the goat, which I'd gladly accept).

YKYASW you copy and paste a shortish cosmere summary into a discord chat to prove that it is more complicated than Destiny.

5 hours ago, Ghanderflaffle said:

YKYASW you copy and paste a shortish cosmere summary into a discord chat to prove that it is more complicated than Destiny.

Can you clarify what "Shortish" means in this context?

1 hour ago, Ishar said:

Can you clarify what "Shortish" means in this context?

It’s short by cosmere explanation standards, but still over 3,000 characters. (I know this because discord told me :D)