You Know You're a Sanderfan When...

Shardbearer

When you strike up a conversation and become friends with some total strangers at a bus station because you overheard the words "Warbreaker" and "Oathbringer" being uttered by them. (We talked cosmere almost the entire way home until parting separate ways, except at the end, where it devolved into a conversation about anime where they tried introducing me to One Punch Man.)

When one quarter of the songs you play at your piano recital of original works are cosmere based.

When you go on a road trip with your dad and spend the entire drive time listening to WoK on audiobook. I had to pause every five minutes to explain that no, Hoid is not a Herald. Quit being so paranoid. (Though that was probably my fault for hyping Hoid so much...) And also reiterating the difference between Vorin and Veden. Anyone else have trouble with that at first?

1 hour ago, Inklingspren said:

Your cosmere songs are brilliant firerust! I'm not a good songwriter, but I'm okay at playing.

shuckshucks.jpg.6593d5385e2c65576b7549551140ab16.jpg

Thank you! :lol: But HEY! Don't downgrade your own abilities. :angry: For you saying that, now I want to hear you play the piano (or whatever other instrument you play if it's not that)!

when your friend calls their computer a 'puter, and the only thing you hear is the Allomantic metal.

when, at lunch, one of your friends asks another friend "why are you here?" and you respond with "Personally, I think lunch should come before Philosophy."

when you help a confused person trying to find book 1 of any of Brandon's books at the library, since the school year just started and they are all checked out except for Rithmatist. (even though it is technically a media center, it is a library. Not only are the jackets of the hardcover versions of Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians taped to the books, if you try to see the map by opening up the book and pulling the jacket back, they covered the map with a piece of paper taped over it! those librarians are definitely evil.)

when you wish you had access to almost any of Brandon's magic systems, because it would make life so much easier.

when you hear about this in a class

and your first thought is about a Coinshot trying to plug things in from a distance. (also, someone who I met in that class is also a sanderfan, and cosmere-aware. we had a big discussion on how long it would take a Coinshot to actually get it into the plug. I said it would be easy, he'd just have to line up the plug's blue lines with the outlet's blue lines...)

when you have all of this new material for this thread, but you can't help but feeling you still forgot something...

edit: what happened to the picture!? maybe if i put it in a spoiler...

Edited by ethan sedai

When you have your phone notifications to ping you when there is an email. (I don't turn off those notifications, I need to know who said what and where)

Also, @Firerust, you caught me at a bad time. I'm learning new pieces right now, so they don't sound very good. And yes, I play piano (and trombone, but I'm usually just support)

Edit: also, my science teacher started talking about Cohesion and Adhesion, and I just kinda smiled. No one in the class reads Sanderson, unfortunately.

Edited by Inklingspren

My math teacher just said "colon" and I heard "Kholin". It took me a full three seconds to figure it out.

Edit: My bio teacher just said "collect" and I heard "Kelek". My brain is on vacation to Roshar, apparently.

Also, what is the difference between Cohesion and Adhesion?

Edited by Reckless Reader

7 hours ago, Reckless Reader said:

My math teacher just said "colon" and I heard "Kholin". It took me a full three seconds to figure it out.

Edit: My bio teacher just said "collect" and I heard "Kelek". My brain is on vacation to Roshar, apparently.

Also, what is the difference between Cohesion and Adhesion?

:lol: brain autocorrecting to the proper thing.

Cohesion is a substance sticking to itself, I.e. Water droplets. Adhesion is one substance sticking to another, i.e. condensation on a cup.

also, a surgebinder using cohesion could actually UNbind molecules, with practice. You could literally un-make someone... don't get on stonewards or willshaper's bad sides.

when you relate real-life physics to sanderson physics. Or learn about one from the other. Or just focus way too much on fictional physics (metallurgy is kinda confusing TBH applying to real life. Storing weight, but not losing any physical mass? I kinda get it, but still.)

On 9/5/2018 at 9:24 AM, Inklingspren said:

also, my science teacher started talking about Cohesion and Adhesion, and I just kinda smiled.

That’s kind of freaky, since that’s exactly what happened in my bio class today...he even used the word ‘bind’ without realizing how fitting it was.

Spoiler

Take that all my friends who are annoying since they gave up on Sanderson! Our school isn’t pathetically behind everyone else!

Spoiler

They bug me half to death with complaints about the education we’re getting.

Spoiler

The other half is how one of them just stopped reading in the middle of Mistborn

Spoiler

She has yet to be forgiven 

When you realize that being a Sanderson fan isn’t a life choice, it’s an automatic thought process.

1 hour ago, Silva said:

That’s kind of freaky, since that’s exactly what happened in my bio class today...he even used the word ‘bind’ without realizing how fitting it was.

Just curious, is your bio teacher's last name Pratt?

39 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

When you see someone on Twitter mention "whatever the Rock is cooking" and you immediately think they're talking about a certain Horneater. :lol:

When you only read the first part of the post but think the same thing.

When you take 4.5 minutes staring at a post because you don’t know who the OP is referring to by the Rock of they’re not referring to Rock.

Then it hits you.

When you're doing your QCS test (for anyone who doesn't know, the Queensland Core Skills test is a big 4 part literacy/numeracy test you do in your final year of school as a means of scaling your grades to generate an Overall Position [OP] score) and one of the questions is about metals. And you freak out and get super annoyed because they listed bronze as being made up of copper and zinc when it should be copper and tin.