You Know You're a Sanderfan When...

Shardbearer

Sometimes I say "What in the world?" or "What in the world is going on here?"

This is an exclamation, not an expletive.

When someone replaces a curse with another word, they are still cursing.

I believe the difference is exclamation versus expletive. I believe people curse because

A ) That's how they grew up.

B ) They want to be rebellious.

C ) They want to seem tough.

People who curse because of reason B or C are more at fault, individually, than A.

24 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I'll note it as the latter. 

I know quite a few people who work in research and STEM fields, and while they obviously operate with proper decorum in presentations and official functions, their intellect does not make them any less likely to swear. 

The idea that swearing is a sign of low intelligence is hilarious to me. The entire point of having a wide vocabulary is to choose the correct word for the given situation and desired meaning. 

Swear words have a proper place. Eliminating them is not a sign of intellect, only arbitrary self restriction. 

You just got 4 upvotes from this guy 

Edited by AngelEy3

13 minutes ago, Roadwalker said:

Sometimes I say "What in the world?" or "What in the world is going on here?"

This is an exclamation, not an expletive.

When someone replaces a curse with another word, they are still cursing.

I believe the difference is exclamation versus expletive. I believe people curse because

A ) That's how they grew up.

B ) They want to be rebellious.

C ) They want to seem tough.

People who curse because of reason B or C are more at fault, individually, than A.

B & C as reasons plus the idea of any fault rely on the assumption that its inherently wrong in the first place. 

Otherwise it's logically sound from your point of view, imo 

I always enjoy this topic :D

Double post. Thought I was editing the last one, but I guess not. Sorry everyone 

Edited by AngelEy3

11 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

B & C as reasons plus the idea of any fault rely on the assumption that its inherently wrong in the first place. 

Otherwise it's logically sound from your point of view, imo 

I always enjoy this topic :D

Double post. Thought I was editing the last one, but I guess not. Sorry everyone 

Quoting breaks edits. Only way I've found to deal with it is to actually copy paste in a quote box and ping the person

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

Hell is a swear word? 

It's such a minor curse it doesn't count depending who you ask. In England when you say bloody hell its the bloody part that's the curse if I recall correctly.

But it's mainly seen as a curse word for children since it is seen as childish to use it.

When 95% of your inside jokes with @Cel (I reference her a LOT) are Cosmere related, 3% are from girls camp, 1% percussion related, and 1% completely random.

Or when you go crazy when you realize the brand of your family's new (2nd hand, but new to us) car is Sel. No joke.

Edited by Tesh

When you find such a similarity between the Herald Nale and Inspector Javert that you start creating a parody of the Les Miserables song Stars from Nale's perspective, but then you get to the lyrics "the flame, the sword" and realize that it reminds you of Lightsong's nightmares instead.

When you wish at least one of Sanderson's books could be made into a musical.

3 minutes ago, Calderis said:

When between reading and sharding, your bedtime continually creeps farther and farther back, even though you're waking up at the same time. 

In a few more months I'll just not sleep. 

I've already forgone sleep

6 hours ago, Calderis said:

When between reading and sharding, your bedtime continually creeps farther and farther back, even though you're waking up at the same time. 

In a few more months I'll just not sleep. 

Do you know how I got these scars that name?