You Know You're a Sanderfan When...

Shardbearer

4 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

When you give your son a toy Stitch and he decides to name it Ati and you are beyond thrilled. Then you have to explain why it's so awesome to your husband...

Inform Taravangian. Immediately. The Thrill is confirmed on earth.

When your 10-hour project display consists of my collection of Sanderson books (plus a few other little fantasies that might be easier gateways into obsessive reading) and a description of how I reviewed a bunch. I only managed to talk to one person about Sanderson, but it was a young mom with two kids, so I talked a lot about Alcatraz, plus some plugs for others in case she needed something else to do. :D I'm a wonderful person

You know how does an addict on withdrawal feels like when instead of another fix he gets a truckload?

I've read the essays. I know.

I've been waiting to post it for a while now.

Anyway, you're a Sanderfan when it hurts when you see Brandon giving his "I'm RAFOing from now on, too many questions" routine :(

Edited by Ookla the Sunrise Watcher
this was sad

I've been in the cinema to see Moana yesterday (really awesome film, BTW), and after I returned home, I stumbled upon the "Bavadin has invented entire pantheons of gods" WoB from Reddit, and somehow those two ideas mixed in my head.

In other words: You know you're a Sanderfan when you spend the entire afternoon thinking about Disney-style Cosmere musical, where each Shard has their own song. I think Bavadin's would have her show up as all the gods she's been puppeting over the ages, "fanning out from behind her"-style.

When you write an entire rhetorical analysis essay on Stick...

Topic: Character

‘Why’ question: Why is this interlude from Sanderson’s Words of Radiance inspiring?

Brandon Sanderson, an author of fantasy books, posted a deleted interlude a few years ago. This interlude was originally from Words of Radiance, book two in the fantasy saga The Stormlight Archive. It will eventually extend into ten books.

The interlude which was deleted has been a source of inspiration to many. Often, Sanderson fans question why this interlude was not included. However, the main question to be asked is, why is this interlude, given the simple title of Stick, so inspiring?

The character of Stick is first introduced in chapter 11 of Words of Radiance. Another character by the name of Shallan has just been stranded, and wants a fire. She has a power called Soulcasting, which allows the user to take the energy of the world, stormlight, and grant it to another object to have it change. The Soulcaster steps into an alternate world called Shadesmar to do this, where everything is represented as a small bead with its own personality. Shallan repeatedly tries to convince a stick, or Stick, to become fire. However, Stick refuses over and over. Shallan eventually gives up.

That isn’t the end of the story, however. Sanderson writes the interludes of The Stormlight Archive through the point of view of characters not given their own chapters. Most of those from the interludes are only represented once, and are not yet tied back into the series. This interlude, which was very regrettably left out of the book, is from the perspective of one of the best characters Sanderson has ever created: Stick. The interlude comprises of numerous paragraphs of varying sizes, all comprised of one statement, the single most powerful statement ever written by Sanderson: “I am a stick.” (Sanderson, 2014). Repeated seventy-four times, this statement resounds throughout every fiber of the reader, inspiring, changing, improving. If the reader understands the deeper meanings behind this seemingly simple phrase, they will understand why this deleted interlude is so inspiring.

Stick refused to give into the pressure put forth by Shallan. She had previously convinced a ship to become water, but could she convince Stick to change? No! Stick remained firm and steadfast, unmoving and unchanging throughout. Stick would not give in. Stick would not change. Shallan tried bribery with stormlight, the energy of the world the novel is set in, but would Stick give in? No! Stick is an inspiration, a symbol that greed and bribery can be overcome, and that we are able to stand against them, unmoving, incorruptible. “I am a stick.” (Sanderson, 2014). Those four simple words stand as a symbol to all. A symbol proving that the evils of the world can be overcome.

Many teenagers feel social pressures to change who they are and become something different, something fake. However, Stick can be a source of inspiration and courage in its example, proving that people do not have to compromise. Teenagers do not need to bend to the social ‘norms’. They do not need to change their view of themselves in order to satisfy the wants of others. Instead, they can, like Stick, simply say, “I am me”.

Stick is content with who it is. Stick is okay to simply say, “I am a stick”. (Sanderson, 2014). There is no need to become something else, when one is content with their standing in the world. Stick can be considered the greatest exemplar of this, one who refuses to change.

Despite all this, Stick does occasionally go through times of doubt. This proves that Stick is not perfect either, helping others to think that maybe they could become as strong as Stick. About three-fourths of the way through the interlude, Stick slightly changes its statement. While the statement was originally “I am a stick” (Sanderson, 2014), at one point in the interlude Stick questioned, “I am a stick?” (Sanderson, 2014). However, this is not a discouragement, but rather encouragement. This proves that doubts can be overcome. Immediately after this short lived moment of doubt, Stick turns around and reaffirms “I am a stick” (Sanderson, 2014).

In conclusion, this deleted interlude is extremely inspiring to many. Stick overcomes greed. Stick would not change. Stick would not be corrupted. Stick would not compromise. Stick showed courage Stick was able to overcome doubts. In life, may we all try to become more like Stick.

References:

Brandon Sanderson (2014, April 1). Words of Radiance Deleted Interlude: Stick. Retrieved from http://brandonsanderson.com/words-of-radiance-deleted-interlude-stick/

Coppermind (2016, May 5). Stick. Retrieved from http://coppermind.net/wiki/Stick

Coppermind (2016, June 7). Words of Radiance/Summary. Retrieved from http://coppermind.net/wiki/Words_of_Radiance/Summary#Chapter_11

PS: this is my friend's and was previously posted on a Stick thread here, but I felt like here was a better spot. 

When you make a Shard account solely to post on this thread.

When you wonder whether it would be possible to create an electromagnetic glove powerful enough to duplicate the external physical metals (minus the part about not having to move your hands, of course).

When you always have a Sanderson book in your backpack "just in case".