You Know You're a Sanderfan When...

Shardbearer

2 minutes ago, Eccentric Hero said:

I'm taking Calculus but I didn't understand what this Syl thing is.

Yeah cos Calc is about derivatives, rates of change, integrals, and areas, whereas the Syl thing (I'm not sure what it is either) is about set theory or group theory (I think; I'm trying to follow the sines but I may be leading you off on a tangent).

9 hours ago, The True Survivor said:

Yeah cos Calc is about derivatives, rates of change, integrals, and areas, whereas the Syl thing (I'm not sure what it is either) is about set theory or group theory (I think; I'm trying to follow the sines but I may be leading you off on a tangent).

I see what you did there.

23 hours ago, The True Survivor said:

My point is that I am way past Algebra but don't know about this stuff, which is embarrassing. I got the puns, btw.

1 hour ago, Eccentric Hero said:

Alternatively, there is Wind's Pleasure and Red Panther.

I did think of that, but I decided on something more prominent in the story. Plus, it gets really windy where I sail (38 knots/70kph) so I always capsize (the boats a dinghy, so about 3ish meters), so it often isn't pleasurable wind. 

13 hours ago, CalypsoDreaming said:

I did think of that, but I decided on something more prominent in the story. Plus, it gets really windy where I sail (38 knots/70kph) so I always capsize (the boats a dinghy, so about 3ish meters), so it often isn't pleasurable wind. 

Taking involuntary baths goes along with Red Panther

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:58 PM, Eccentric Hero said:

My point is that I am way past Algebra but don't know about this stuff, which is embarrassing. I got the puns, btw.

LOL. Don't feel too bad. It's a graduate level course in abstract algebra. I'm a Masters student at BYU.

@The True Survivor Yes, it is group theory.

A Sylow group is a group of order prime power.

A Sylow p-subgroup of a group is a subgroup of order the highest power of p dividing the order of the group. Sylow's theorem says there is always at least one such subgroup for each prime diving the order of the group. Syl is the set of all such subgroups, etc.

Syl knows all about it too. Kaladin just hasn't asked her yet.