I am terrified of Book 5

littlemag126

(MINOR MISTBORN REFERENCE SPOILER)

Ok, so I really like a lot of the characters in this series, and with the knowledge of there being 2, 5 book arches i am a little terrified right now of book 5.  Like for those of us who have read mistborn we are well aware that Sanderson is not afraid of killing main characters, and with the closing of the first arch occurring in book 5 i wouldn't be at all surprised to see a high death toll.  

Basically what I'm saying is that I really, really don't want certain characters, such as Kalidin, to die, but Kalidin's whole "protect everyone" thing makes him the ideal martyr/heroic death guy.  I am pretty certain as well that Dalinar has a pretty decent chance of dying, as this is kind of "his overall story" being arguably the most important of the Radiants. So book 5 scares me.

Thoughts?

Brandon does like killing off his characters.  I could have sworn that he was going to kill Dalinar in the second book because of the ending to the first.  I agree with you in that I don't want the main characters to die.  I kind of wonder what will happen to the Highprinces, since two of them are already dead.  Will Alethkar fall, or will there be a replacement?  I don't know.  I don't look forward to book five if there is going to be an arch - I am dreading it, too.

Looking at patterns here, everyone's brother seems to be dying (Gavilar, Tien, Helaran)..... either adolin or renarin is next o.o

No, but for real though, I worry about Kaladin so often it's painful. If he dies, I'll die. But maybe, with his whole "stormblessed" curse thing, he'll survive just to watch everybody else die!!

....not that that is any less painful

Edited by Lady Eowyn

Yes, sanderson enjoys killing off his characters. He invested all the money he's getting from his books to secretly install hidden cameras in our home, and while we read he can watch us and laugh maniacally at our squirming. MUAHAHAHA!!!

But then, have you seen that most operas that are considered great end with all the main characters dead? Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, the Iliad... that's how you can recognize that sanderson is a  great writer and he writes meaningful books: he kills off all his characters.

I bet he has had made actions figures for his characters, and he likes to line them up on a shelf and make a count to decide who to kill, gloating while they writhe in terror (yes, even if they are plastic action figures, they are terrified anyway. He awakens them with the command "feel terror". And then he stamps them with a stamp that makees them really want to live and really aware that they are powerless to stop fate). And then he picks up the unfortunate loser and announces how he's going to have a bridge dropped on him during the final battle, while the others are relieved to have been spared...  and then he casually announced that he was just kidding and he's gonna kill them all anyway.

Remember, if he was a good guy, he'd only write about fluffy bunnies throwing birthday parties.

And now it's better I quit before I get carried away even more than that.

Edited by king of nowhere

Yeah, I kind of think he may have a whole bunch of voodoo dolls on his shelf representing characters, and then he decides what painful fate they will come to.  "Oh, no, you fell into a chasm (bwahaha) ... oh wait, you have stormlight, never mind.  How about a chasmfiend? Nope, guess that didn't work either."  <_<

Did the fluffy bunnies part come from Alcatraz or something?  If not, it just sounds really familiar, don't ask me why.

Edited by Elsecaller3414

I recall reading somewhere that, at one point in the past, Sanderson was considering giving Kaladin a second book in the next set of five. I'm 95% sure the idea has since been abandoned, but it leaves me feeling somewhat comfortable in Kaladin's chances until that point. Then again, if Sanderson is even slightly the kind of man I am, he'll read this and change it so that Kaladin is a goner in book 4.

That said, although Kaladin is my favourite character, there aren't any major point of view characters I dislike. Lift's chapter drove me so far up a wall (I think I understand the name now) that I actually quit reading for the day as soon as I finished it. With that exception even the interlude characters are enjoyable to read about. So while I'll be sad whenever anyone dies, I also have this really awesome knowledge that whoever doesn't die will still be interesting to read about. For all the epic fantasy I've read, only this series has managed to pull that off (although realistically there is still a long way to go).

The biggest reason I am terrified of book 5 isn't so much book 5, but rather the massive wait after book 5. Sanderson has mentioned there will be a considerable gap between the arcs, and while I understand it from a writer's perspective, I loathe it as a reader. Not to discredit any of Sanderson's other efforts (I skipped a major physics test to finish the last 200 pages of Elantris), but I look forward to each installment of this series like a rabid dog.

Edited by GrainofaRiver

Well, if any of my favorite characters die, I will probably sit in a corner for three days and cry myself to sleep each time I wake up.  Slight depression does that to me, and it was really hard on me when my favorite characters died in other books, even when I knew what would happen.  Although, I accidentally read the part at the end of Hero of Ages... not a good idea at all.

I rather not have any deaths of the main characters. But from what I have read of Sandersons books (which all the published ones) he only kills off characters if it serves to make the books better, like the ones in all three of the mistborn books.

To be fair I was already suitably terrified long before.

I kind of assume that ending will be when Odium physically arrives and just wrecks everyone. Tons of people dead, etc.

It's always tough when characters you like die but so far I don't get the feeling Mr Sanderson kills anyone off just for the sake of shock value (Looking at you Mr. Martin). The deaths always seem to serve a purpose like Jit said. It's funny I think most people would say the deaths in Mistborn were the hardest to take but I thought the one at the end of Warbreaker was the worst. 

To be fair I was already suitably terrified long before.

I kind of assume that ending will be when Odium physically arrives and just wrecks everyone. Tons of people dead, etc.

Yeah, but they won't have names, so it won't have such an emotional impact. Unless he's writing all the interludes just to set up named character to kill randomly so we will care about them? :o

It's always tough when characters you like die but so far I don't get the feeling Mr Sanderson kills anyone off just for the sake of shock value (Looking at you Mr. Martin). The deaths always seem to serve a purpose like Jit said. It's funny I think most people would say the deaths in Mistborn were the hardest to take but I thought the one at the end of Warbreaker was the worst. 

Nah, that's what he wants you to believe. yes, the deaths serve a purpose, but that's because he writes the story so the deaths are needed. he could write a different story if he wanted (like the aforementioned fluffly bunnies (and yes, it comes from alcatraz)). in truth he sadistically deciide how he's gonna make all his characters suffer, and then he finds a good way to fit that into a story, so that you will read it anyway.

Ok, more seriously: yes, ddeath in his books serve a purpose. so, even if kaladin or dalinar will die, I'm sure they'll get a totally badass death accomplishing something great.

So, basically you are saying that IF Kaladin or Dalinar or someone important dies, it would be kind of like when Vin dies at the end of Hero of Ages, dying to do the world good.

I sort of have a feeling that if anyone dies, it will be Bridge 4 or Kaladin's parents, Shallan's brothers, and Navani or someone else that Dalinar sincerely cares about, like his sons or the king.

Brandon only kills his main characters off if it makes the story better, and their story arc is complete. I imagine this will happen for a LOT of characters in book five.

If Kaladin were to die at the beginning of book three (ie, based on how i feel about him right now), then i would care far less than any of the others. On the other hand, I may need a full day to recover after Shallan dies (okay, at LEAST a day)

Well, I kind of feel like Kaladin has kind of been a jerk, but he is recovering, which is good.  If he dies, I will miss him, but it isn't like I will refuse to read anything for a month or anything.  IF.  (trying not to jinx myself here)  IF Shallan dies, I would need at least a month, and I would be in denial for much longer than that.  I mean, I had a hard enough time with Jasnah in WoR chapter 7...

Yeah, I get a little worried about this sort of thing as well.  For me, Kaladin is the only character that I really, really, really, really, really want to live through the whole series.  I like a lot of the characters, but he is hands down my favorite, and the rest I would probably be okay if they bit it for the most part.  Well, except maybe Jasnah.  I really like her to.