Edmund(conflux) lack of "epic anger"

dyring

We had a wob from atlanta signing 24/1 00:30:00 wich is somewhat cryptic.

Yes, everyone inworld assumes its because he is only gifting his powers. But there seems to be no effect when he charges the item during his first interogation either. One thinks it should have some small effect, even if just a grimace or sneer or something, despite the low amount of force.

firefight spoiler under theese brackets, sorry about wrong forum.

Megan lacked the anger issues at the end, after confronting her fears. I wonder what edmunds fears was. He killed his wife, accidentically, thats mentioned. It might be a big hint. What if the thing Edmund fears already happened? He killed someone by accident, or possibly, his wife died, or some variant of that.

Would that make Edmund immune to the epic anger issue afterwards? And quite possibly, make so he no longer got a weakness?

*edit

Added spoilerbrackets around firefight spoiler fact that I forgot about:/. Moderator mind moving?

Edited by dyring

that's a good question. the first thing an epic does is killing those close to him to stop them from figuring out his weakness, and a wife would be pretty high on the list. So, the fact that his wife was still alive when he had powers, and he killled her by accident, means that his rending was much more controlled than usual. He's also the only epic, aside megan and prof, who had real commitment for someone else.

So, there is something strange about him. being a gifter does not explain it, not when he had the power to also do things for himself. yes, maybe he was the first good epic, and he was overlooked because he was kept prisoner all the time.

I would say he obviously had some fear of dogs and that he had a weakness but was then able to get over the fear and weakness in unison, but as you've all said he never ever showed any signs of corruption. It might even relate to the nature of gifting itself.

Its odd that he doesent seem to have any issues at all, its what makes me think you can permanently get over the anger issues.

Firefight spoiler:

Perhaps we will see more about that in book 3, if Megan is free from it permanently and not just at that time. 

Also, Id object to his power only being defensive. Its extremely like he can shoot lightningbolts and the like should he wish to. Lighting is little but charged molecules. Thou that would be dangerous if hes not immune himself. But I guess thats likely, even if we havent heard anything about it. I cant quite recall any epic getting hit by their own power.

I have a hard time seeing how Edmund's lack of corruption can be due to "the nature of gifting" when Firefight establishes Prof, the other known gifter, as fighting a losing battle even though he gives most of his power away.

Edmund was a lot weaker than Prof. And apparently Epics that are not powerful enough do not have Rendings, so maybe he didn't have one?

also, where does this information that his weakness is dogs come from?

Its odd that he doesent seem to have any issues at all, its what makes me think you can permanently get over the anger issues.

Firefight spoiler:

Perhaps we will see more about that in book 3, if Megan is free from it permanently and not just at that time. 

Also, Id object to his power only being defensive. Its extremely like he can shoot lightningbolts and the like should he wish to. Lighting is little but charged molecules. Thou that would be dangerous if hes not immune himself. But I guess thats likely, even if we havent heard anything about it. I cant quite recall any epic getting hit by their own power.

I'm not sure- his ability seems specifically to generate power and charge things with it. Never has his ability been presented or used in a different manner. Technology-dependent powers aren't without precedent- see Curveball.

Lighting just happends cause the air gets charged in one spot;)

As noted, its friggin dangerous if hes not immune himself, and hard to aim :P

And the amount of power he can use.. he is a medium sized nuclear plant in the power he churns out feeding the entire city. Its alot of power, just not that great in a fighting kinda way ;)

Either way, if he had a rending or not doesent matter that much, as the most telling part is that he doesent get affected when he uses his power(as far as we can see).

Edited by dyring

• Chaos locked this topic