Origin of Usernames

Straff Venture

Mine is pretty obvious, since my name is Mary.

I used to be called Iron Maiden at work. No, I'm not that scary, but a moniker that was from a nursery rhyme based on Queen Bloody Mary seemed appropriate. Been using it for more than a decade.

I wanted a username that was somewhat reading related or had a literary reference, and my little brother threw out "the mad reader", not expecting me to actually use it. I liked it because it sounded a bit like the Mad Hatter, and because it could sound like I read a mad amount, like I'm mad about reading, or that I'm both mad and a reader, all of which are true.  :)

I made this account yesterday, shortly after finishing the WoR and deciding to scour the interwebs for answers to my questions. I've been

reading these forums for two days now, and haven't come across any mention of Kaladin's scar. It's one of the things I find most interesting

about him.

Lopen taught himself to use Stormlight, and immediately his arm began to regrow. A severed limb is something that would have

been completely covered with scar tissue in these times, and would likely have been cauterized to avoid an almost certain death. However,

it's been made abundantly clear that the Shash brand on Kaladin's forehead is just something he is going to live with forever (and he won't

be covering it up with a tattoo, either). The books have made no mention of Kaladin trying specifically to heal the scar with stormlight, and I

don't believe they ever will. He is probably able to do it, but being that he is bound to an Honorspren, I think he feels morally obligated to

be honest, even with those whom he is about to kill.

And what is Kaladin, if not honest?

Edited by little wilson
spoiler tags

@TheShashBrand

Take a look at this thread in the Words of Radiance board. Search for the question "Why didn't Kaladin's brand heal if Lopen can regrow an arm?" Should help answer your question!

Edited by little wilson
spoiler tags

Mine comes from my favorite RPG of all time: Chrono Trigger. I've always been fascinated with the concept of time, so I figured that Chrono was as good a web name as any.

Since Chrono is often taken, I either go by ChronoXtreme (since having an X in the name increases popularity!) or Chono, because I accidentally forgot the r when making my League of Legends account.

Mine comes from my favorite RPG of all time: Chrono Trigger. I've always been fascinated with the concept of time, so I figured that Chrono was as good a web name as any.

Since Chrono is often taken, I either go by ChronoXtreme (since having an X in the name increases popularity!) or Chono, because I accidentally forgot the r when making my League of Legends account.

Or you could do Crono.  I always liked that that is how the title character's name is spelled in-game because it needed to be five letters.  Like the programmers understood what we players had to go through when we wanted to name our character "Sabrina" but had to settle for "Brina" because of character restrictions.

My name comes from a poem by Tolkien about Firiel, a human woman who is called by the Elves to join them on their ship to the West, but she is forced to stay behind because of her mortality.  I've got a portion of it quoted in my signature. :)

I wish there was a deeper reason for my username that which is already apparent. I like having people know where I am from and where my loyalties lie. GREENMONSTA for the outfield wall at Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox. Could have gone with City of Champions but that seemed a little too far. Weather its true (which it is) or not.

Edited by GREENMONSTA

I think I was reading Sarah Ash's Lord of Snow and Shadows and had finished a physics lecture on the Casimir effect. For some reason, I got the names mixed up (the character Kazimir) and the Casimir effect, and thus ended up with the name Kasimir. Which I needed to register for some forum or other.

By now, I've been using it for a while, so I just picked it up again for this forum.

I took the name from Malazan Book of The Fallen series. In it, Hood is the God of Death. And overall, quite an awesome character. Actually,  I would like to write paragraphs on him and his race, but then I don't want to spoil any fan's experience.

I wish there was a deeper reason for my username that which is already apparent. I like having people know where I am from and where my loyalties lie. GREENMONSTA for the outfield wall at Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox. Could have gone with City of Champions but that seemed a little too far. Weather its true (which it is) or not.

Before I explain mine, I must say: Dude, seriously. You're kinda the best. :{D 

Anywho. So, I'm a giant online forum-style roleplay nerd, and when I was...... nine? I started this open forum RP with my big sis. We each had a GM character, and mine was Mozy. She was, you guessed it, a healer. And I was obsessed with her. Used her in everything. Every mini-LARP with friends, every other RP, every time I needed a screen name. Since then she's gone through a bunch of different last names as I perfected my screen/pen name, but the name MozytheHealer has stayed the same(with the exception of some added caps). So yup. Origin story of Mozy Ter, the Healer. 

Edited by MozytheHealer

Before I explain mine, I must say: Dude, seriously. You're kinda the best. :{D 

Anywho. So, I'm a giant online forum-style roleplay nerd, and when I was...... nine? I started this open forum RP with my big sis. We each had a GM character, and mine was Mozy. She was, you guessed it, a healer. And I was obsessed with her. Used her in everything. Every mini-LARP with friends, every other RP, every time I needed a screen name. Since then she's gone through a bunch of different last names as I perfected my screen/pen name, but the name MozytheHealer has stayed the same(with the exception of some added caps). So yup. Origin story of Mozy Ter, the Healer.

Why haven't we seen you in sanderson elimination yet? Can always use new players.

Mine comes from a name I use a lot, Dellexe, which comes from "Deluxe."

-

The Kal comes from the Belgariad by David Eddings. It's an Old-Angarak title that means basically "King and God."

-

It's a bit conceited, but I like it.

• 1 year later...

EDIT For anyone coming into this... the post below was one I made as a seperate topic, which got merged into this one. Hence why it has a bit of a detour/recap of username stuff.

User names are important, obviously. After all, they are how we identify ourselves to one another, and unless/until you feel comfortable enough telling people your real name, it's how people are going to think of you.

So, having said that...

Why did you choose the user name that you did? Any particular stories behind them?

For me.. well, when I finally mustered up the courage to sign up, I was completely stuck for a name. I wanted something cool, and relatively unique... while still being kind of self-conscious about looking foolish o silly for whatever I ended up using.

So, I was trying to think of something... and I was really excited about Arrow at the time. So I thought themeing a username/picture around that might work well.

So, I was trying to come up with a decent sounding Archery-related username... and I started thinking about where arrows are kept when they aren't being fired- a quiver.

"Huh," I said. "That sounds kind of cool. It's an object, but it doesn't have any pre-existing connotations or connections to stuff, so I could really try and make it my own. It might sound like a cool name!"

And that is the unimpressive story of why I'm called Quiver. 

Edited by Quiver

So, when you're trying to make a username at a young age, every single phrase sounds amazing and it feels like one of the hardest decisions of your life. So being the genius that I am I decided that I was amazing (so humble) and would have 'Irule' but that was obviously taken, so I had to take it even further and decided to add half a simile by writing 'Irulelike'. Somehow, even that name was taken and my younger self was devastated, what was he to do? It was then that he farted and wrote down the final part to his masterpiece, making the name of 'IrulelikeSTINK'.

And so I just stuck with that name for everything since :P 

Ever since I was little, I'd had a fascination with fire based magic. Not fire itself, oh no. I'm no pyro. Fire magic though, heck yes. It all started with Pokemon, and my awesome Charizard, but later grew into much more, with my interests branching into the Fire/Ice dichotomy, which then branched to the Light/Dark dichotomy, and so on.

But Charizard was the start of it all, on the Pokemon Emerald VIP forum. It was a forum made solely for people who pre-ordered Pokemon Emerald, and it was the first forum I ever joined. Coming up with my username for that website wasn't my first time tackling the task of making a username (AIM accomplished that), but it was the first time that I'd be making a name to present myself before people I didn't know in person. So, after much deliberation, I settled on a name along the lines of CharizardLover1202, something like that. 1202 was my birthday, and Charizard had been among my favorites since Gen I released, so I felt it was accurate.

While on this Emerald VIP forum, I made a few friendships, some of which lasted years, others only months. Regardless, one of the major events that affected me from that VIP site was another user inviting me to a different forum, one that was barely a year old and still didn't have a large userbase yet; GaiaOnline. So I joined a very young Gaia under the same username. 

Well, all good things come to a close, and eventually Pokemon Emerald released, and the VIP forum closed. I then pretty much dropped the internet, and as a result my Gaia account was left to rot. About a year and a half later, though, an 8th grade Blaze fell in love with a very fetching young woman in his Algebra class, a young woman who told him to join a forum site she used, GaiaOnline. Like all young men in love, I immediately set out to do what she'd suggested. Upon visiting the website, which had been somewhat overhauled, a tingling of remembrance told me that I'd been a member before. I struggled for a few hours to remember my old username, searched for usernames including Charizard, found one I felt was mine, and discovered I could not log in. It appeared the account had been closed.

So I set to finding a new username. One which captured my essence, my very being. Alas, that didn't work, so instead I looked to the past. My Charizard based username had been born from my love of fire magic. I decided my new username would have a similar birthplace. After much thought, I settled upon Blaze. But, being an 8th grader with decent intelligence, I knew "Blaze" would be taken. Well, 16 is my favorite number, so I tried Blaze16. Taken. I was dejected for about 20 minutes. My compulsive tendencies retched at the thought of using anything other than 16, I just knew I would grow to hate whatever I picked if it wasn't 16. 

Then an idea dawned. It was like the rising sun, a brand new day, the beginning of a new chapter in my life. 16 might be taken, but what were the chances of 1616? I typed as fast as I could at the time (not very fast indeed), entering Blaze1616 as if it would be taken mere seconds later by someone else if I wasn't quick. It was accepted, and that new chapter in my life began with a BANG!

I've since used Blaze1616 for, well, everything username based. Here on 17th Shard, GaiaOnline, reddit, etc. As the years have passed, other Blaze1616s have surfaced, such as the Blaze1616 on pof.com, or @blaze1616 on Twitter, neither of which are me. But for the most part, it's a safe bet. I even had my license plate read Blaze16 for my very first car.

I've only had to come up with a new username one other time, though that's a story for a different day.

When I was younger, my brother played on a hockey team, and they all had nicknames on their jersey's.  My brother's was Robar, which is a combination of his first and last name.  I thought that was cool, and I thought my brother was cool.  So when I got invited to be one of the first users of Gmail, I thought to myself, "what is a unique username, but isn't just my name".  BOOM, Tobar14 and its many variations were born.

If I am playing anything resembling Greek or Roman, I am Tobarious
If I am playing anything medieval or magicky, I am  Tobarth or Tobaraxus

Otherwise, Tobar14 it is.

Now, normally, my username would be maggieharper47 or Nova_the_Super, if I didn't want people knowing my name.

But when I came to this forum I looked and said, "Nova_the_Super is not Cosmere related. I need something cooler." Well, I like Sylphrena don't I?

Bam! My username is born!

I also have a few other accounts that I view as "extension accounts" such as one for imgflip (Sanderson meme purposes), one for Reddit (AMA purposes), and one for the Coppermind (Pretty obvious why). These accounts share my username, but besides that, this username is one of a kind. :D