Origin of Usernames

Straff Venture

Well...I listened to WOK of audiobook, and consequently had no idea how to spell Kaladin, which, at the time, I thought was Calladan. And so, I found Calladan wasn't taken on the site, and happily chose it as my username.

Then I found the Coppermind, and the correct spellings, and to save myself from eternal shame like the cosmere has never seen, I defected to Dalinar.

WOR SPOILER

I would, have course, chosen Kaladin over Dalinar if Kaladin hadn't been taken, but Kaladin was such a bum in WOR, killing Syl and all, so now I appreciate my choice

I got Sir Read-a-Lot as a nickname in fourth grade, due to my tendency to have a book with me at all times (a state that persisted all the way through high school, I'm proud to say).  I adopted it as a username, and have used it ever since.

I occasionally use Wiseman Sam instead, which is a play on my middle name (Yes, my parents gave me the most awesome middle name ever).

My name on this forum is an alteration of my name on another forum ... and yet another forum ... and yet, still, another forum.  With each read of an author's signature epic, my own online forum presence sometimes changes ... though not always.  Epic reads are my interest, so I follow those authors who've produced such.  Brandon conforms with these authors and, yet, also diverges from them.  Why?  Because he pursues his own interests for young adult readers even while he writes for the rest of us ... "adults".

• 3 weeks later...

I feel the need to correct you somewhat; names had meaning well after 6000 years ago; you only have to look at a last name like Baker to see it; I'm guessing that 500-1000 years ago is when names started becoming less meaningful, or at least, last names did. First names probably stopped 2000-3000+ years ago, if you ask me.

Actually, no. You are talking to Dew. And yes, Tal is a real name, and that is it's meaning. Dew. 

I regularly change my internet alias. Recently, I started thinking about changing my alias from Humanomusician (I took it when I finally recognised the fact that I am musical, and I had this fascination with humanity and how I am not part of it - it was ironic) to Insane A.I. (which is what I currently claim to be)

Basically, I decided that when I write my first book, in the tab about the author, there will be this claim that the story was written by an insane A.I. who uses my real name as a pseudonym (and thus people who know me will be able to still know it was me). I started claiming to be one on the interwebs to not tell people my gender, age, orientation, name, et cetera. Plus, I am not quite the average person mentally, as I have been manipulating my own psychological aspects for years, to produce various effects, like making a headache go away, changing my mood at will, changing the way my body acts, and other strange things, not to mention I have been diagnosed with ADD, so as a sarcastic stroke onto my mental abnormality, I fondly termed myself insane. 

For my username, Axarno is an anagram of my real first name but with an x inserted into it. When we were younger, me and my brother played a lot of Kingdom Hearts, and in Kingdom Hearts you face off against a gang called Organisation XIII. Everyone in Organisation XIII is a "nobody", or someone who loses their heart to darkness. Anyway, everyone in Organisation XIII was once part of a real person and the names of each organisation member are anagrams of the names they had before, but obviously with an x in their names. Therefore, you have my first name. My second name, Blueblade I made up from what I am writing right now where the main protagonist wields a blue sword.

Lightsworn is an archtype or series of cards in Yu-gi-oh (yes, I also play a lot of Trading Card Games like Magic the Gathering and Yu-gi-oh). The body of my profile picture is one of my favorite cards: Wulf, Lightsworn Beast. I photo-shopped a panda head on top of Wulf's face   :P (I also have a fetish for Pandas, even though I'm a guy  ^_^). Combine the two names, and you get Lightsworn Panda.

My old account name was ST4RK, which is my favorite gamertag. But since this is a forum, I changed it,.

Kobolds were German miner spirits. Like the Cornish Knocker, they were said to tap on cavern walls to show miners where the richest ore deposits were located. They were benevolent spirits, but had a mischievous streak when people annoyed them or stole their things. Like me, I suppose.  :P

Overall I chose the name because I have a fondness for folklore, kobolds and other fairies in particular. And "Kobold King" has such wonderful alliteration. :D

mine is fairly obvious to those of you that have read the wheel of time.

the gathering storm was the first Brandon sanderson book that I read. Mat is by far my favorite character. so I took the quote from knife of dreams where tuon is saying that mat is her husband and she said "Bloody Matrim Cauthon is my husband" then I switched it around to Matrim bloody Cauthon which I think sounds better.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine comes from the Wyrmhero greatsword back in Final Fantasy XII - The ultimate weapon in the game (or close enough to it). I chose that just because I was playing it at the time when I started to join stuff online, and it quite pleasingly fits two of my main interests within the genre of fantasy - dragons and heroism. I never actually managed to obtain the sword in the game, incidentally.

But regardless of origin, it's been my username for the last six years. Annoyingly, some other guy started popping up online about two years ago with the same username, so on a couple of forums, I have a different name, but that's just based off of the name of one of my oldest characters. I find it difficult to think up names of any sort, so I just stick with what I know.

I'm writing a book, and Khyrindor will be the protagonist. I made up the name Myrindor a few years back, and then one day I searched it to see if it was a real thing. It turns out that its a country or something in WoW, so I just changed the beginning to Kh. Its sad though, because my real name means "Dark Warrior," and in LotR Elvish, Dark Warrior translates as "Myrn Meathor" or some such. I made the name a while before I realized that though. Kh is cool though. On a certain online game, my nickname is Rin, as it will be in the book.

Mine is pretty boring. I wanted something that had to do with Sanderson's books, was not likely to have been used in any form by someone else, and that had a fairly nice meaning. I looked around on the Coppermind and found "Vanavel" which is a type of flower in Warbreaker, if I recall correctly. 

I've seen several meanings for my real name, but my favorite is "song of joy". It actually has more meaning that my username! 

Mine is...well, sunshine! I want to surround myself with things that make me happy, and "sunshine" is a name that brings a smile to my face.

My second choice was "Despairing Deepness". You're probably a happier person then I am.

My second choice was "Despairing Deepness". You're probably a happier person then I am.

As a quotable person once may or may not have said, "You're about as happy as you make up your mind to be!"

My second choice would have been "Radiant of Doom" or something like that, so make of that what you will. :P

As a quotable person once may or may not have said, "You're about as happy as you make up your mind to be!"

My second choice would have been "Radiant of Doom" or something like that, so make of that what you will. :P

Your profile picture would be hilarious linked to the name "Radiant of Doom". :D