Origin of Usernames

Straff Venture

My name came from a rather interesting scrabble game where we decided to play with words that didn't actually exist. Mostly because we were bad at scrabble but also because it was fun trying to think up definitions for new found words. The supposed meaning of Branf has been lost in the mists of time but I still quite like the word.

Normally, my username has "Poet" in it which goes back to the first gamertag for the xbox I've ever used. It's evolved from there always including "Poet". The latest rendition is A Fallible Poet which I've kept for longer than anything else. But I've really come to like simply "Fallible" because it says something about my outlook on life. Though I can never be perfect and will always mess up, I can always strive to be the best and succeed in whatever I pursue in life.

It's why I love the last part of The First Ideal by the Knights Radiants, "...journey before destination."

• 3 months later...

Let's see....My name originated in 7th grade, thanks to a sub who happened to know my older brothers. My last name is Wilson, and when he got to my name on the roll, he said "Oh, so you're the little Wilson!" Now, at the time, I wanted to be Wilson. Not Little Wilson. I hated the fact that I was so short. And yet, one of my friends dubbed me that. She knew I hated it, but she still called me it. All the time. It wasn't until 9th grade that I actually started liking the name--I'd resigned myself to the fact that I was short and that I would likely stay short. And I actually liked being short--and that was when everyone stopped calling me it. Ironic, that.

Occasionally, I'll get bored with the nick, so on some forums I'll go by "Lord Otter", which is a name I created for myself about 4 years ago, based on the personality tests. There's the color personality test, but there's also an animal personality test and I'm an Otter. Which is essentially a Yellow personality. I liked the sound of Lord Otter better than Lady Otter. However, most of the time, I'm little wilson. It fits me a little better, I think.

As for that discussion on our actual names. Mine means understanding and knowledge. I couldn't have said it better myself. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to join an old Harry Potter online community back in college. For my username, I challenged myself to find either a character name or race name that nobody in the forums had taken yet. I had a hunch that "Muggle" would still be available since people probably wouldn't want to be associated with the mundane characters of the series. And I was right, so I became known as muggle in that online community.

I remembered that event when I was thinking of a good username for my 17thshard account. That's why I chose skaa. In hindsight, I guess "drab" would have been better, but it's been a while since I last read Warbreaker and that term hadn't occurred to me at the time.

Edited by skaa

The conception of my name is kind of embarassing now that I think of it, but whatever. This one time a friend of mine and I were pretty drunk at my place. We decided it would be a good idea to fire up my old playstation and play Final Fantasy 9, where I had Vivi in my party. I used focus a couple of times and my buddy, drunk as he was, proceeded to call this style "playing macro" (as in RTS game macro, aka economy). This developed to macro magician and then deteriorated to Makromag.

Edited by Makromag

• 2 weeks later...

So, my given name has a pretty lame meaning.  It means "descent".  woo! 

As to my online name, I lurked a bit after I stumbled upon Coppermind and saw that Demoux and Galladon turned up in WoK and Hoid was in all the books.  I was hooked from there on the Cosmere.  In any case, about a month ago I decided to post a comment on one of the Tor WoK chapter rereads.  I had seen a Q&A where Brandon referred to us Cosmerites as "sharders".  I figured I was not well-versed enough to call my self a sharder yet.  So, I decided to go with Shardlet as in like little sharder or, a baby sharder, if you will. 

• 2 weeks later...

this name was the name I first chose for the first character i played in an RPG, the game Champions of Norrath. Me, my dad, and my brother spent hours playing that game together, so the name stuck as remembrance of those fun times. I have used this name in every RPG I've ever played, and usually use it as my online name. 

On book forums for specific authors, I pick one of my favorite things from the books they wrote, in this case feruchemy, and take a name similar to that thing, in this case a Keeper. 

And my given name means man. Which fits me perfectly  :D

Edited by Keeper

Carcinios is one of the earliest characters I ever wrote for a story by the name of 'Viel of Stars' The story has long since been shelved as an embarrassing early attempt that hopefully will never see the light of day but the character has persisted and has cropped up here and there in more recent pieces. He may well making an appearance in some Reading Exuses submissions I am working on at the moment. Has a huge range of different incarnations the early ones seriously tending towards being a Wizard of Explanation

Windborne Sword... 

It's sort of a play on words. I was born in Chicago, the Windy City. Thus I am Windborn, and I've got a fascination with weapons, swords in particular so the name became Windborne Sword. I've used other names like Swiftelf, my Druid's name in WoW and Backwards2, because my best friend was Backwards.

Mine is pretty straightforward; Star Wars and Lord of the Rings were the two franchises that really got me into sci-fi/fantasy, and I've always been fond of mentor figures. "Master" comes from "Jedi Master", "Ghandalf" is "Gandalf" with an extra h (for reasons I won't divulge); put them together, and you get my username.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was originally a name shared by my brother and me on Lego.com. It has no meaning; it's a nonsense word with a bunch of Zs. I first used it for myself when I played Runescape, and since then I've only gotten worse at coming up with usernames, so I'm stuck with it. :P

I stole it from my sister ages ago :) She used it for her runescape and puzzle pirates accounts. I thought it was an awesome username, so from then on I have always made a point to make an account in that name.

An allomancer uses metal

Aeromancers use air

Air is everywhere.

Metal is not.

Aeromancer>Allomancer.

I also come up with new names for every online identity I have, and I can almost remember half of them.

Though come to think of it, Rahm_Rackham would be an awesome username. (Rahm Kota + Mazer Rackham)

Edited by aeromancer

Isomere means "identical parts". Objects made up of the same parts, but with different structure are called isomers. The idea came because of all the symmetry in the Way of Kings, and mirror images are all isomers. For example, your right and left hand are isomers, the left and right sides of all the glyphs are isomers, and the top and bottom of the letters in the Vorin alphabet are isomers. If you have read my early posts you will know that I was obsessed with quantum probability waves which also tend to have rotational symmetry.

Another reason I went with the name is because it fits me. I often feel like I'm just somehow off; that I'm fundamentally different from "normal" people around me, but we are all made up of the same parts. Sneak a little wangst into a name and it becomes so much more fun and meaningful.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is an abbreviation of the full one I sometimes use "lord Claincy Ffnord"

Truth is that "I am lord Claincy Ffnord" is an anagram of my full name. A couple of friends were playing around with the letters in peoples names and I liked this so I kept it and turned it into my standard username (Including Claincy sometimes breaks the character limit on usernames, hence the abbreviation.)

End result is a lot of people online or sometimes even in person calling me "Claincy" *shrug* it works fine for me =)

(The other bonus is that no-one ever has this name already, so I always get the name I want)

Mine is simple, Brandon knew my uncle from college and based captain Goradel on him. My username here was Goradel's nephew until I'd showed up to enough signings that Brandon dubbed me Aaradel. This is the only place I use it as my forum name though. I use different usernames all over the place.

Mine, as probably a lot of you know, is a name for Gandalf, who is definitely one of my favorite characters of all time. I am very new to online communities. When deciding on my first username I thought my favorite character would be a good idea. Gandalf was the first to come to mind. When I posted on tor.com I became Mithrandir42 (42 being the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything). When making my name here I wanted something a bit different. Gandalf felt too clichéd to me. Thus I chose Grey Pilgrim, the translation of Mithrandir.