Origin of Usernames

Straff Venture

Straff, what I mean is, probably 6000 years ago, all of our names probably had meaning. Tribes named things to have real meanings, right? Correct me if i'm horribly wrong.

Observer, it sounds like it would be awesome if it worked. Same kind of idea as not telling your kid their gender so they don't grow into stupid gender roles.

Edited by Yamato

Straff, what I mean is, probably 6000 years ago, all of our names probably had meaning. Tribes named things to have real meanings, right? Correct me if i'm horribly wrong.

I feel the need to correct you somewhat; names had meaning well after 6000 years ago; you only have to look at a last name like Baker to see it; I'm guessing that 500-1000 years ago is when names started becoming less meaningful, or at least, last names did. First names probably stopped 2000-3000+ years ago, if you ask me.

http://www.behindthename.com/

Names have meaning. You might not consider that meaning when naming a child, but it's still there. My real name, for instance, means "crooked nose." Well, the original form. My mom changed the spelling to make it more girly.

And I've met people who didn't fit their names. Specifically, just about every Sean (or variation thereof) that I've ever met.

Yeah I agree with a lot of this and I probably didn't elaborate my opinion enough. What I really refer to is the 'proactive' meaning. So while people see our name as having meaning because its 'our' name and they couldn't imagine us with any other name (like Observer said, which is a great point and I wouldn't have remembered it otherwise), which is the 'reactive' meaning, there is also the meaning that our parents chose before or just after we were born ('proactive') which seems generally absent from our original names.

This is a great topic to discuss, keep it going :)

That's a very interesting point Straff, I totally agree with you. Didn't mean to sound argumentative. My parents named me what they did through a process of elimination, so no real meaning there. :P

Zenith, I didn't mean 6000 as a specific date, I was just saying it to mean a long time ago. Still awesome that you know that though.

http://www.behindthename.com/

Names have meaning. You might not consider that meaning when naming a child, but it's still there. My real name, for instance, means "crooked nose." Well, the original form. My mom changed the spelling to make it more girly.

It has my name right :)

And it does define part of me since I partially act as I perceive it :)

Of course "volod" is close to "own" over "rule", but both will do :P

Well, mine is fairly easy, being the Norse deity. I choose it due to my Scandinavian heritage and the fact that I was almost named Thor by my parents.

That name website also has my given name's meaning correct: "tiler of roofs." Doesn't particularly fit me...

Well my fake name has a rather silly story behind it.

Long ago and far away, the necessity of faking an Italian accent was forced upon me. I failed miserably, as was my wont, and so rather claimed that I had instead used a perfect Kurkstanian accent, from the grand land of Kurkistan.

At a later date, I found it necessary to register on a forum, and so I used the first thing to pop to mind. I kept the name because I like to have a persistent online identity and/or I lack imagination.

Edited by Kurkistan

My real name does have a bit of a story behind it, too. I was going to be named Helen, after one of my grandmothers, until my parents decided at the last minute that they didn't like the sound of Helen Hyde and called me Ellen instead. I sort of get their point--I mean, Helen Hyde would be a completely awesome name for a supervillain--but throughout a lot of middle and high school I sort of wished I'd been named Helen instead, until I discovered that in Alien, Ripley's first name is Ellen. Then it became cool.

Considering I know more than thirty people with the name of Brandon (Not including Sanderson), I highly doubt it. They do not have similar personalities.

I agree with this. You tend to match the name to the person, not the other way around; your perception changes on the person of that name who you're most familiar with or whatever.

I agree with this. You tend to match the name to the person, not the other way around; your perception changes on the person of that name who you're most familiar with or whatever.

I think this works as well. As to what emeralis said, I never said the name will change you in the same way. That would make no sense. Each person is different, and sees names a different way. The name would only slightly tamper with their original personality, and the tamperin would follow along with their own personal perceptions.

But how others see you works. Unless you are counted as others. In that case not much has changed.

I guess that only way to prove this would be to take twins and expose them to the exact same things, but give them different names.

Huh.

I think this works as well. As to what emeralis said, I never said the name will change you in the same way. That would make no sense. Each person is different, and sees names a different way.

Interesting point about perception. I would say this is largely based around name trends over time and geography. For example, if I was told someone I had never met was called John I would probably imagine them as an adult white male, though I am certain there are a staggering amount of times when I would be wrong. Other people might think differently depending on the Johns they knew on a local level but I would account most of the variations to cultural tradition.

You created that identity for yourself, no-one else chose to call you that, therefore it is personal to you in more ways than a name that was decided by someone else ever could be. I didn't choose to be called James, hell it's not even the best name I could think of. If anything I'd prefer Mat... or Kaladin. And even then I have a nickname so I don't get called James very often except by people I refuse to impart onto them my nickname :P

You wear your internet pseudonym like a mask, protecting you from scrutiny; it empowers you, makes you confident and less likely to feel embarrassed when you feel you're wrong.

You created that identity for yourself, no-one else chose to call you that, therefore it is personal to you in more ways than a name that was decided by someone else ever could be. I didn't choose to be called James, hell it's not even the best name I could think of. If anything I'd prefer Mat... or Kaladin.

The identity you create may be self-created, but it's still tailored to fit the name. It's much less influential than I originally thought, but still a factor.

You wear your internet pseudonym like a mask, protecting you from scrutiny; it empowers you, makes you confident and less likely to feel embarrassed when you feel you're wrong.

True that. I was just wondering if it also had an impact on how you acted as well, much the same way I've hypothesised about the name you go by changing you.

• 1 month later...

Well I joined not long ago and was reading through Elantris (my first Cosmere book, now on my reread of it still just as good) at the time. So I wanted a name made from the aons. And I also like Doctor Who. Ire means time and well Domi really means love it is the name of their God which sort of gives it another meaning of Lord in being used that way. So yeah loosely my name means Timelord. And that's that in my long winded broken English.

My name originates from the Edgar Allan Poe poem, the raven. I was in a rather poor mood from a long in the past breakup with a lovely lady and was reading online quotes and poetry to relieve my poor mood. At the same time I was trying to think up a new name for an irc chat because xchat asks for 3, and I at the time only had two.

"Respite - respite and nepenthe from thy memories of Lenore!"

This line appealed to me, respite from memories, and so I made a name based on Nepenthe, the "drug of forgetfulness".