Origin of Usernames

Straff Venture

It would be great to know the reason behind everyone's usernames on the 17th Shard, though admittedly there are a few very obvious.

Mine, to start, is for two reasons. First, I like Straff Venture's evil style. Secondly, Straff comes quite close to my real name (Stefan).

So what about you?

I am really glad that you did this, dude. See, everyone thinks I named myself after the Jimmy Eat World song.

But, not so.

Actually, I named myself for the main character in Ian MacDonald's Ares Express, whose full name is Sweetness Octave Glorious Honey-bun Asiim Engineer 12th.

Tell me that's not the best name ever.

I'm sure I've given the reasons somewhere before. SEARCH FOR THEM, MY MINIONS! :D

My name is Joe, my first web alias was star.torturer, my second FallingBullets: fbstj (also, since its a nice short url: fbstj.net)

Can't really tell you why I chose ST over FB, probably something to do with the sainthood I have..from the future!

My username has its origin in the fourth grade, which was about 15 years ago for me. My two friends and I came up with imaginary characters and wrote humorous, dialogue-based short stories for fun. Flash Wrogan was the name I came up with for my imaginary character (we each had a character that represented us). I thought the word flash was cool at the time, and Wrogan came from a combination of dragon and wolf, which were just about the coolest things in the world to a 9 year old boy. I've used it as an online username ever since.

'emeralis' was actually a gift of my best friend. He made the name for me in 5th grade and I have used it ever since. The 00 is because some sites require a username with numbers in it, so I chose double zeros because 0 is the true start of the base 10 number system (don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they probably have never seen an array before :P) and I was watching gundam 00 at the time.

Once upon a time (about 8 years ago), I've decided I was on the 'net long enough to have a nickname. I wanted it to me japanese, to start with (S), and to have meaning. And so it came to be~ I thought about satsuki first, but father told me it was a girls name.

Anyway, satsu is a book counter in japanese, oni is a demon/ogre, so there. 冊鬼

I have a weird story about this. First of all, I am s SUPER japanese obsessive, so I knew I wanted a Japanese term. I love the game Okami, a japanese mythology videogame, so I also wanted something from that. (my picture portrait is from Okami). In Okami, there is a place called the Ark of Yamato. I looked up the meaning of Yamato, and figured out that it stood for 4 things: a battleship in WW2, a sense of "japaneseness", the name of Japan before the year 672, and the province in ancient Japan where then imperial family first came from. Naturally, having figured out that this was the ULTIMATE term of japaneseifosity, I was obliged by my own obsessiveness to choose Yamato for my username.

When I was in high school my two best friends sort of happened into alliterative titles for themselves (amazingly this wasn't planned), Audacious Amanda and Capricious Colleen. They decided I needed one as well, and they eventually settled on Side-Scatter Sarah, which is a reference to how haphazardly my brain works (and could possibly be an allusion to a scatter plot, I never asked. But two of us were math nerds, so it would make sense). Scattered just seems to roll off the tongue a little easier.

When I started using E. Hyde as an online name, it was my real name, because all the made-up usernames I'd come up with in the past had always felt wrong/"not me" just a short while after I'd come up with them. But of course it also doubles as a literary reference to a false identity. I changed my last name when I got married but I still use E. Hyde (with occasional variations in punctuation) online.

Gather 'round and you shall hear a tale of the internet from yesteryear.

It was ages ago, oh so long now, that much has changed, I wont say how.

Then I was but a young whippersnapper, arrogant yet witsome and slightly dapper

I posted on bulletin boards you see, for that's what forums used to be,

And the software used was slipshod, and the format! It was rather odd.

I used to use the name Jorrel, originally coined for a multi-user-dimension-al

But the BBS, it updated its software, and so we all had to re-register,

And my name! It was taken so quick! And this is where I use the rhyme of "Saint Nick."

I hemmed and I hawed for a new name, till at last I found one and met my aim.

"Thought" it was, and it seemed clever too, for it inspired a sig that seemed totally new.

Now, my every post ended almost the same, with the phrase "Just a Thought" making a frame,

and a pun too, oh I loved it so. And over the years the name on me did grow.

Till now, its as good of a pseudonym as anyone could wish, even captain's called Jim.

So as I go around the interwebs, I make sure to register the name and call dibs.

Which brings us now to the end of our tale, I hope you've been amused as I've regaled.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how to end rhyming verse, so I'll give an example,

Just a,

Thought that's not terse

When I started using E. Hyde as an online name, it was my real name, because all the made-up usernames I'd come up with in the past had always felt wrong/"not me" just a short while after I'd come up with them. But of course it also doubles as a literary reference to a false identity. I changed my last name when I got married but I still use E. Hyde (with occasional variations in punctuation) online.

Don't forget, you're evil with an E... purrrrrre eeeeeeeeeevilllll!!!! :D

Well, I started using a variation of this username when I was fourteen: RenegadeMushroom. Basically, I wanted a username for some forums, and I was in a Mario-ish mood, and I thought to myself, what if there were rebels in the Mushroom Kingdom? Yeah. I pretty much use either RenegadeShroom or a variation of it for every site I sign up to now. I change it up a bit 'cause sometimes some of my friends from another forum use google to stalk me. XD

I lurked on the forums for a very long time, endlessly observing the comings and goings. When I joined, I decided I'd name myself Observer.

Sorry, nothing more complicated than that.

I kinda expected the Observer to be your favourite StarCraft unit or something. XD . . . And I'm really hoping I haven't mixed you up with someone else right now. :U

Edited by InsurrectionistFungus

I kinda expected the Observer to be your favourite StarCraft unit or something. XD . . . And I'm really hoping I haven't mixed you up with someone else right now. :U

Observers are cool with being the best spies and all, But the zergling is unmatched in sheer awesomeness :P

I find it ironic how a name that we use on the internet for almost all of us has infinitely more meaning than our original names.

I do find it interesting that this is often the case. For me, my username has a lot of history and memories linked to in it, but has no real meaning other than the things it is linked with. However my original name is very important to me and has a meaning that tie in very strongly with my spiritual beliefs

Our original names probably had more meaning initially; when names are first created they have more meaning, since you can always remember the reason for naming it what you named it. Even if the name is random, you still have the reason for the juxtaposition of syllables used to create it, or the fact that you know it is random..

Sure if you have an uncommon name, Yamato, but what about the millions of people called 'William' or 'Samuel'? I'm confident in saying that most parents who call their child William do not name their child after a famous William, but simply think the name is a fairly good one that will be looked upon normally by other people. Even my name, which is very rare in the Uk, has no significance to my family or personality, or even my heritage (it is a Greek name, so I am named from a place I have never been).

In books they'll speak of characters who don't fit their names, something that almost never happens in real life. On some level I cannot describe, our names mold our personalities, until you can't possibly be imagined as being called something different. People who go by their middle names or nicknames don't seem to match their first names at all, but the one they go by instead. I've always wondered how I would be if I had been named differently....

So, when I have kids, the first thing I'll do is call them whatever they feel like being called that moment. They'll grow up with no real name and be themselves 100%

And yes, I know the above is impossible, and no, I will not stop thinking about what that would do personality-wise.

It's a fascinating subject anyways, no? I wonder if online usernames have a similar effect.