Sigzil

Alonin

I'm not sure, i've only just started learning about shards and such on here but i always saw Sigzil as more of a storyteller than a worldhopper, like (i don't know if you've read it) Kvothe in Patrick Rothfuss' books, kind of like an advanced bard who just happens to know alot of strange stories maybe because he apprenticed under Hoid while he was on Roshar.

I'm on my second time through and I gotta be honest that thought crossed my mind too. He only recently been introduced (in my listen-through), but the more screen time he has the more I compare his role to something like Demoux, a secondary character that could possibly amount to something later on.

He really doesn't know enough to be any kind of world hopper or anything at this point. That doesn't mean that he couldn't become one later, but that is all speculation. As for how someone becomes a world hopper, we know that Hoid does it by accessing Shadesmar, but we know that it is dangerous to access the cognitive realm from Sel (where Galladon is from), so there are likely other methods of world hopping.

Just because it's "difficult" to use Shadesmar to go elsewhere from Sel, doesn't necessarily mean that it's impossible to do.

Exactly. Hoid obviously did use Shadesmar to get to and from Sel, so its definitely possible. Just dangerous and difficult, ergo why it possibly took Galladon and the other Elantrians centuries to figure it out, which follows the timeline of cosmere novels' publication well.

Could Sigzil be pretending not to know stuff? Maybe Hoid planted him on Bridge 4 to watch over Kal and make sure he fights Odium rather than joining him?

I really need to finish this second listen through... I can't remember enough of Sigzil's parts to speculate anything with a foundation...

Could Sigzil be pretending not to know stuff? Maybe Hoid planted him on Bridge 4 to watch over Kal and make sure he fights Odium rather than joining him?

I really need to finish this second listen through... I can't remember enough of Sigzil's parts to speculate anything with a foundation...

Hoid told Kaladin to look over Sigzil, which seems an unlikely request if Sigzil himself was powerful enough to worldhop.

I think he might be aware of more than we have gleaned from him yet, though. I'd compare the knowledge he shows of Roshar to that of a Keeper from Scadrial, which might mean he knows something about the greater picture.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no doubt that Sigzil knows more about Roshar then he has said already. But he has told Kaladin about what he has seen, and Kaladin has shown interest in the world. I think Sigzil's role in the books will grow as the world is expanded upon, and Kaladin leaves the Shattered Plains.

I'd like to think that Sigzil is the character Brandon mentioned as "having the potential to learn Lightweaving". Whether that would also lead to the ability to World Hop, I'm not too sure. Mainly though, I don't think Hoid would have taken Sigzil in as an apprentice if he didn't see some considerable potential in him. I'd feel a little bit let down if that potential is limited to greater appreciation for stories and cultures as a Worldsinger.

A bit Off Topic: There's actually a number of questions relating to various Bridge 4 member's backstories. Moash, Teft, Rock, and Sigzil all appear to have backstories that will demand expansion. Judging from what Brandon has done and said so far, these won't be tangential, but rather they will mostly be tie-ins to the main story.

I think Sigzil's personal abilities, at least at this point, are limited, otherwise Hoid wouldn't have felt the need to tell Kaladin to watch over him. We'll have to see how he develops in later books.

Edited by Cheese Ninja

Sigzil seems like Roshar's equivilent of a Keeper. Worldbringer, worldsinger, yeah. It's quite possible Hoid started both these oranizations actually.

In one Q&A/interview/whatever it was stated that Worldbringers and Worldsingers have more in common than just a similar name.

I would say that they're basically the same thing but that's more opinion. They do seem it though.

I don't think if he had worlhopping or other magical capabilities sigzil would have stayed stuck in bridge 4. remember, before kaladin arrived, the life expectancy on a bridge crew was a few weeks at most. Sigzil expected to die.

II'm not sure if hoid knew he would survive because we don't know much about what hoid can do. But even if he knew kaladin's potential, it was far from certain he would have made it, much less saved one random member of the crew. I'd think it more likely that hoid gave sigzil for dead too, and he wasn't important enough for rescuing.

I really don't think that Sigzil being Hoid's "apprentice" means Hoid taught him or intends to teach him anything about worldhopping. Hoid adopts a bard-like profession on Roshar as his cover, and Sigzil is his apprentice in that capacity, simple as. How important he will become later on, to either Roshar or the Cosmere, is anybody's guess.

Hoid does have a habit of getting involved with central characters. He did it in Elantris, Mistborn, and Warbreaker. Now he has done it with Kaladin, Dalinar, and Sigzil in SA. I can't believe that is just coincidental. He didn't overtly interact with Wax, but I would imagine that the newlyweds will play important roles if Sanderson does continue that novella series.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Bump - I'm re-reading WoK right now and just got to the part where Moash talks about wanting to kill someone.  I don't have any gut instinct telling me who he wants to kill right now, but I got to pondering "what ifs".  "What if" he wants to kill Sadeas, Adolin, or Dalinar?  Or one of the other Highprinces?  It could set the stage for a great internal struggle, or threaten to tear the warcamps apart if he makes an attempt on someone so high.

“Sure.  But there’s a difference between us, Kaladin.”

Kaladin raised an eyebrow.

“You wanted to be able to save someone.  Me, I want to kill somebody.”

“Who?”

Moash hesitated, then shook his head.

“Maybe I’ll say, someday.” He reached out, grabbing Kaladin on the shoulder.  “I’d surrendered my plans, but you’ve returned them to me.  I’ll guard you with my life, Kaladin.  I swear it to you, by the blood of my fathers.”

Bump - I'm re-reading WoK right now and just got to the part where Moash talks about wanting to kill someone.  I don't have any gut instinct telling me who he wants to kill right now, but I got to pondering "what ifs".  "What if" he wants to kill Sadeas, Adolin, or Dalinar?  Or one of the other Highprinces?  It could set the stage for a great internal struggle, or threaten to tear the warcamps apart if he makes an attempt on someone so high.

In your quote, Moash swears "by the blood of my fathers". The only other man we ever hear (I think) say something like that is Dalinar, who uses it (or things very close) as a frequent oath. Is it a generic noble curse, so Moash is nobleborn? Is it a particular trait of Dalinar's, and Moash has sworn to kill Dalinar, and in his obsession has even picked up a few of Dalinar's traits? I for one think it would be very compelling if Kaladin's team of guards for Dalinar contained a man sworn to kill Dalinar.

Yea, I was wondering about that too. I doubt it's Sadeas though - I think Brandon would've mentioned something (albeit briefly) about Moash looking at the highprice with hatred, or disdain, or disappointment, or something. I don't think it's something Moash would be hellbent on keeping a secret, to the point where he doesn't let his feelings even show on his face.

Agreed. Everyone on the bridge team hates Sadeas, it would be like a Yankees fan not wanting to tell his friends that he doesn't especially like the Mets. Or, we've got nine more books in the series to go, it could be someone we've never met. Moash might be a world-hopper; it would certainly explain his lack of explanation. "I have to kill a man. He lives on a different planet. ... It's complicated, I don't wanna get into it."

In your quote, Moash swears "by the blood of my fathers". The only other man we ever hear (I think) say something like that is Dalinar, who uses it (or things very close) as a frequent oath. Is it a generic noble curse, so Moash is nobleborn? Is it a particular trait of Dalinar's, and Moash has sworn to kill Dalinar, and in his obsession has even picked up a few of Dalinar's traits? I for one think it would be very compelling if Kaladin's team of guards for Dalinar contained a man sworn to kill Dalinar.

That is really interesting.. although it is not a lot to go on, I still feel my theory senses tingling...

OK, here we go. I seem to recall Kaladin thinking in one of the flashbacks that if he (darkeyed) married Laral (lighteyed) then their children would have a chance of being born lighteyed...

What if Moash was a product of such a union (say a Lighteyed man and a Darkeyed Woman) and when the mother died, he was cast out / rejected or whatever because his father was embarrassed by his heritage.

So the man Moash wants to kill is some Brightlord or other, his father.

Edited by MadRand

Wow. A Bastard son or a darkeye born of two lighteyes. Nice catch, take this upvote for you insight. =)

I allways wondered what happened when a dark eye are born of two lighteyes parents(what is very possible http://genetics.thetech.org/how-blue-eyed-parents-can-have-brown-eyed-children) so or Moash are a bastard or he is a very unlucky lighteye son.

What would explain his bitter nature and hate for lighteyes.

And the way that he walks - Like a lighteye. The fact that he didn't wanna a tattoo in the face. His dreams of become a shardbear and change the rules,

Now make sense, but how is Moash father?

Edit.Ninjad by MadRand

Edited by Natans