Obliteration Sharing Thread

TwiLyghtSansSparkles

First, some mood music.

Thanks to a question one of our own asked at a recent event, we now know it is not only possible, but probable, that Obliteration deals the final few blows in the destruction of Oregon. Since writing for Obliteration is an opportunity that should not be limited to one person, it has been decided that we will share him. 

As it stands, the plan is to save Obliteration's arrival until after Portland is destroyed, and most likely when The Dalles has begun its descent into chaos. Obliteration will arrive in Oregon, decide the entire state is too mired in iniquity to remain standing, and begin destroying it one city at a time, absorbing sunlight in the unsettled regions between cities so as to not raise suspicions and therefore mete out "judgement" more effectively. Players who wish to write for him will choose a city to have him destroy, and write his arrival, the city's destruction, and any other scenes they deem necessary. Other cities can fall without Obliteration to destroy them, and various Epics will destroy various areas. He won't destroy the entire state himself, but he will be an option for certain cities. 

However, before we begin this plan, we need to agree on who we think Obliteration is as a character. While we all read the same amazing book, readers can often walk away with different impressions of the same people and events. This is not bad; it simply means that we'll have a richer well of insights to draw from. But we do need to decide exactly how we will portray him—and which cities he'll destroy—before we begin writing so there will be consistency between the various scenes, even if different writers choose to emphasize different things. 

Please note that writing for Obliteration is a privilege reserved for Oregon players ONLY. Although Obliteration is an outsider, he needs specific knowledge of precisely what kind of "iniquity" he wants to destroy in that specific city. The only way to gain this knowledge is to play the game. (Also, it would be quite unfair if those who have been writing this game for months were unable to write for Obliteration because non-players got there first.) 

To start off with, here are a few questions that might be important….

• What kind of a preacher do you think he was before Calamity? 
  • If someone began reciting Bible verses about God's mercy to him, how would he react? 
  • What specific things do you think lead him to destroy cities? More narrowly, what do you think made him decide to destroy Houston? San Diego? 

Players who will write for Obliteration (will be revised as names are added):

mail-mi

Kobold King 

TwiLyghtSansSparkles 

Edgedancer

Cities Obliteration will visit (will be revised continually):

Corvallis

Feel free to suggest questions, as well as answer them. Suggested questions will be added to the list. 

On a completely unrelated and unprofessional note…..I AM SO EXCITED!!! I'LL PROBABLY HAVE NIGHTMARES, BUT THIS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING! :D

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This is exciting. :D I'm turning over some of the questions you asked, though as of yet I've had no major Revelations about his character. (See what I did there? B))

I wonder whether Obliteration saw Houston and San Diego as somehow more sinful than other cities, or if he simply got around to them first because they were in sunnier parts of the country. :huh:

As for cities that he could visit... is he powerful enough to enter the Astoria thread?

He's definitely strong enough for Astoria. but I don't think it's Sins that make him choose which cities to visit, otherwise he would have destroyed a city Like Las Vegas first.

Assuming Las Vegas hasn't since been taken over by an Epic named Purity or something since Calamity rose.

Anyway, time to re-read all of Obliteration's parts in Firefight...

Do I want to write Obliteration? Of course, I want to write him! :lol:

A couple of things that should also be thought about.

1)Obliteration might appear in Oregon but if he was the one that destroyed most of it I'm pretty sure either Megan, David or Brandon would have mentioned it, when talking about the context.

2)Obliteration hasn't been upgraded yet, which definetly means a cooldown for his danger sense and probably also no enhanced strenght.

3)The question of insant hits like Corpsemaker's or Voidgaze's ability getting past his danger sense has become a lot more important, could you add it to the Funtimes Kobold?

• If someone began reciting Bible verses about God's mercy to him, how would he react?

While quoting the right passages of the Bible might yield interesting results, appealing to God's mercy wouldn't help. In his mind he's carrying out God's Last Judgement. He is delivering them to God's mercy, as such God's will can not save him, because he's acting out God's will.

(Ironically the book of Revalations he likes to quote also has a segtion about the forces of good fighting those of evil, which seems to fit the situation much better. :ph34r:  )

• What specific things do you think lead him to destroy cities? More narrowly, what do you think made him decide to destroy Houston? San Diego?

Good question. Destroying entire cities doesn't seem to be a daily occurence to him. I may have to reread his sections to figure out if he has any specific motivations for each city, simple practicality (he did seem to plan on saving the likes of Steelheart for last) or if it simply depends on his destructive urges getting out of hand.

As for cities that he could visit... is he powerful enough to enter the Astoria thread?

Clearly he's powerful enough to enter the city. However, he couldn't blow the entire city up, as that would likely make him the only target available for Mary's resurrection, so his danger sense would either teleport him out of the city before he melts it or he'd die in retaliation. Plus, I doubt they would just let him sit there and charge.

Do I want to write Obliteration? Of course, I want to write him! :lol:

A couple of things that should also be thought about.

1)Obliteration might appear in Oregon but if he was the one that destroyed most of it I'm pretty sure either Megan, David or Brandon would have mentioned it, when talking about the context.

2)Obliteration hasn't been upgraded yet, which definetly means a cooldown for his danger sense and probably also no enhanced strenght.

3)The question of insant hits like Corpsemaker's or Voidgaze's ability getting past his danger sense has become a lot more important, could you add it to the Funtimes Kobold?

While quoting the right passages of the Bible might yield interesting results, appealing to God's mercy wouldn't help. In his mind he's carrying out God's Last Judgement. He is delivering them to God's mercy, as such God's will can not save him, because he's acting out God's will.

(Ironically the book of Revalations he likes to quote also has a segtion about the forces of good fighting those of evil, which seems to fit the situation much better. :ph34r:  )

Good question. Destroying entire cities doesn't seem to be a daily occurence to him. I may have to reread his sections to figure out if he has any specific motivations for each city, simple practicality (he did seem to plan on saving the likes of Steelheart for last) or if it simply depends on his destructive urges getting out of hand.

Clearly he's powerful enough to enter the city. However, he couldn't blow the entire city up, as that would likely make him the only target available for Mary's resurrection, so his danger sense would either teleport him out of the city before he melts it or he'd die in retaliation. Plus, I doubt they would just let him sit there and charge.

Doesn't CM have a time limit to murder-glare people? And how does VG have an instant hit?

Doesn't CM have a time limit to murder-glare people? And how does VG have an instant hit?

True in Corpsemaker's case, though that's still within a grey area as nothing really happens in the time he stares at people. On Voidgaze, the whole instantly destroying everything that is white and adjacent objects. You know, the part the gaze in her name comes from? It's not necessarily an instant kill but the attack itself doesn't have any time delay and given that they could stick the mother switch to Obliteration getting some white paint on him shouldn't trigger it either.

Edited by Edgedancer

Am I the only one who wonders if Obliteration would draw a connection between Bloody Mary tagging people and the Mark of the Beast? :blink:

No. Because I'm almost certain he would. :o 

As for Edge pointing out the "he can't destroy the entire state by himself without drawing attention thing…" What if we pick a few cities for him to destroy near the end (or thereabouts, after several cities have already fallen) and let different writers team up to write that city's destruction? 

No. Because I'm almost certain he would. :o

As for Edge pointing out the "he can't destroy the entire state by himself without drawing attention thing…" What if we pick a few cities for him to destroy near the end (or thereabouts, after several cities have already fallen) and let different writers team up to write that city's destruction? 

I can see where he would be coming from.

Well, he should destroy Corvalis now. Rainmaker was baisically asking for it. :P

Actually, do we know that he destroys every city he goes to? With him moving around it could be that most of the time he just murders way to many people, some powerful Epics, melts down a couple buildings and goes shopping before moving to the next one.

Well, he should destroy Corvalis now. Rainmaker was baisically asking for it. :P

Actually, do we know that he destroys every city he goes to? With him moving around it could be that most of the time he just murders way to many people, some powerful Epics, melts down a couple buildings and goes shopping before moving to the next one.

So can I, scarily enough.

We don't, but it would probably be safe to assume he destroys at least some of them. Maybe he just destroys those with a more stable infrastructure, and lets the more unstable cities destroy themselves?

I both really want to see Obliteration go shopping and simultaneously never want to see it for fear that I'd need to tear my eyes out.  :(

I wonder if he's ever been offered a "Harbinger of the Apocalypse" discount.

I pity any store clerk who doesn't give him that discount.

Then again, customer service jobs in general sucks so I feel for the ones that do too, because in customer service about half the people you meet might as well be Obliteration.  :blink:

I pity any store clerk who doesn't give him that discount.

Then again, customer service jobs in general sucks so I feel for the ones that do too, because in customer service about half the people you meet might as well be Obliteration.  :blink:

I dunno, Obliteration gives me the vibe that he would be rather pleasant to people working customer service, assuming he doesn't murder them for his fanatic illusions. :unsure:  Different from other Epics, he does have good intentions and actually wants to safe the world. It just doesn't seem to work out that well for everyone else.

I dunno, Obliteration gives me the vibe that he would be rather pleasant to people working customer service, assuming he doesn't murder them for his fanatic illusions. :unsure: Different from other Epics, he does have good intentions and actually wants to safe the world. It just doesn't seem to work out that well for everyone else.

He wants to save the world by destroying it. It's....complicated.

When will they realize that Funtimes' plan of saving/destroying the world with pancakes is the only way?

Not sure if that would help. Just think about how much he would heat the batter. The hottest stuff this side of Houston

Over here I'm still wondering, if he would think of Voidgaze as the white (or possibly pale) horse.

Edited by Edgedancer

I would definitely be open to Obliteration taking a trip to Corvallis at some point.  It would certainly make Rainmaker eat her words to Euphoria (I would also like to note that I wrote that before reading about Obliteration in the question thread.  Happy coincidence eh?) 

As for Rainmaker's reaction, she definitely wouldn't welcome Obliteration coming to Corvallis, as she'd be VERY threatened by him.  Once he was there, she might try to manipulate him or otherwise turn the situation to her advantage, such as pretending they are working together to select others to scare them into obedience, or using him as a common enemy to unite her enemies. 

EDIT:  I should specify that I was only meaning to comment on the potential Corvallis plotline, and not offering or requesting to write for Obliteration.  I would much rather someone else do that, and I haven't been here as long as you guys have anyways. 

What should our policy on Obliteration-alliances be? We know from the fact that he was working with Regalia that at times he is willing to work with others, and since there are actually quite a few Epics in Oregon who could kill him during his cooldown period he might have a hard time surviving without some degree of strategy.

What should our policy on Obliteration-alliances be? We know from the fact that he was working with Regalia that at times he is willing to work with others, and since there are actually quite a few Epics in Oregon who could kill him during his cooldown period he might have a hard time surviving without some degree of strategy.

He'd probably be most likely to ally with Epics who agree to help him destroy other cities, which probably means he'd tend toward Epics who don't rule their own cities. At least, that's how I'm reading the situation.