What Happened in Corvallis

Comatose

7924717cc8503e080629ef0c898c4958.jpg

It seems that the princess had accepted the hospitality Kenshin had offered. It did not surprise Kenshin that from there she stormed into her living space proper. Restraint was no longer among the traits she expected from her guest. In her wake the princess left patches of unnaturally polished floor, standing out of the remaining floor like pox. Filing away the fact that she would have to make her floorboards harmonious again, Kenshin quietly followed her.

In the living room itself her guest was admiring the weapons she had decorated her home with. Naturally, she didn’t leave her fingers from them either. There was a reason Kenshin didn’t bother to ornate her weapons in any significant way, even if she had made them of elegant design. They were simple tools with a simple purpose and even in the best case fancy details only distracted from said purpose or at worst actually detracted from their durability. At least they weren’t a great loss, given that she could replace them in a matter of seconds.

Ignoring the request for… whatever kind of tea used pumpkin and the little birds that seemed to react to Oprah's singsong, Kenshin procured a bowl of sweets from her cupboard and placed it on her table. “Thank you for the compliment,” Kenshin said, “these weapons are all self-made, in case you care. As for the tea, I’m afraid I only have green tea at hand.” A kitchen knife appeared in Kenshin’s hand and she tossed it lightly into the air, giving it a slight spin, and caught it again by the blade. “However, I could fix you something more substantial to eat.”

qnaI05L.jpg

Blossom stared out the window of the building, watching the rain silently fall to the ground some stories below. She imagined the pattering sound in her mind, attempting to drown out the noisy room behind her.

And the man trying to talk to her.

"Look, Broadcast, I don't care if Obliteration himself was staged to appear as a guest. Rainmaker wants this message broadcast across the city every hour." He wasn't being as annoying as usual, which she was thankful for, but he certainly seemed unhappy about the change in his scheduled programming. The Epic had opened his mouth to object once more, but Blossom had had enough.

She whipped around to face him, her hand raising to stop him from speaking. "Look, Hell had broken loose in the city today. From Gunsmoke to these attacks against our populace, many vanillas have died. Epics have died. Now, you've got two options. First, you can do as I'm telling you so I can get on with my business. Second, you can continue to argue with me, and tomorrow, when this very station will be broadcasting the names of the dead, yours will be first on the list. Now choose."

Her eyes bore holes through him. His still open mouth slowly closed, a small nod emanating from his neck. "Good decision," she said, "the message offers the locations of the attacks, informing people to avoid those areas if possible, a reminder to keep checking back for updates, and a second reminder regarding how the vanillas can still convince Euphoria to return if they continue to behave. Now get to it."

"Yes my Queen," was his response, clearly defeated. Good.

Blossom turned back to the window, pulling her mobile out. It was time to leave. Grabbing her umbrella, she walked outside, unfurled her protection from the rain, and softly lifted off the ground. She'd have to fly fairly fast to reach Bubbles in a decent time, but she'd reach the fields before long, and with it sweet release from the rain.

Xr7QrVP.jpg?1

Buttercup did not flinch at the thunder rumbling in the distance. She could see how upset Rainmaker was with the happenings of the day, no doubt somewhat blaming her for the lack of a secure city. She felt as though she should feel guilty, but really she only felt angry. Angry at the renegade Epics, both the one from last night and this morning, and angry at Rainmaker for hiding the Iron Ogress from her.

"Have the ashes secured yourself.  I want no scrap of him left behind."  Rainmaker said, floating away from Buttercup.  "When you are certain they are secure, I want you working to track whoever this is down.  Don't bother me with any reports until you have some real results." 

Buttercup nodded, but Rainmaker began to rise into the sky. "Yes, my Queen!" Buttercup shouted, watching Rainmaker fly away. She quickly blasted into flight as well, weaving in and out of the crop fields until she found an area growing glass jars. Grabbing one, she whipped back to the scene of the crash, collecting the ashes in the jar. She made sure she hadn't missed any, too, ripping pieces of the car off to get every last speck. Placing the lid back onto the jar, tightening it, she stared at the ashes. Could he really use them to rejuvenate? Well, if he could, the glass breaking would let her know, even if she placed the jar down near her.

Through the glass she could see a flare of pink in the sky. Looking around the jar, she saw her sister flying through the air, having no doubt increased her speed once getting out of the rain. Buttercup looked at the time on her mobile. At least she didn't forget

The mobile buzzed in her hand. A message from Rainmaker. Protect Hypno? That Epic from last night? Ugh, why is she trusting him? Buttercup sped off to gather the guards she had in mind.

qnaI05L.jpg

Blossom entered Tangent softly. It was a fairly quite town, having been very small prior to her sister's bubble cutting it in half. In fact, one could say that Tangent was tangent to the sphere. Blossom chuckled at her own joke as she touched ground, her umbrella back out and in use as she walked over to her sister's canopy. As usual, Bubbles was lounging with her drawing pad.

Must be nice, not having to earn your keep. The thought flashed through her mind before she could stop it. She understood, though, that Bubble's was in as much risk as Euphoria should the town be attacked. Without Euphoria the vanillas aren't kept in check in a peaceful manner. Without Bubbles, the town wasn't protected from any and all exterior threats. Interfering with either system could send the town into chaos. Bubble's was lucky that this Insight had chosen to go after Euphoria instead of her.

"I'd like to say I'm surprised to find you drawing out here, but we both know that would be a lie." Blossom smiled at her sister. Looking to the side, a pile of three bodies lay on the street, blood from their bodies mixing with the water coursing towards the storm drain.

Her sister nodded. "You know me, I always need to draw." She began to pack up, passing Blossom the drawing once she'd gotten under the canopy. It wasn't Corvallis, so much as some wasteland, with the three corpses acting as a focus for the disturbing backdrop. A storm seemed to be brewing in the distance, with a light rain falling around the corpses. Blossom handed the picture back.

"Top quality, as usual. Ready to go back? I assume there's a car of some sort so we don't have to fly in the rain?" Blossom looked to GasMask, who nodded and went into the bunker, returning with the keys and SparkPlug. Blossom offered a smile. She could stay out of the rain.

sPSx0yh.jpg?1

The car ride was fairly quiet. Blossom was busy lost in thought. Apparently she had been tasked with trying to find Insight. Bubbles had read the message from Jumpdrive, and Blossom had filled her in on some other details. Blossom had an idea of how to catch him too, but Bubbles wasn't so sure it would work. Hopefully, after working out the kinks today, they might be able to try and catch this Epic tomorrow.

Exiting the vehicle, Bubbles walked out of the car and entered the building they had parked in front of. She knew her way in by now. Weaving through the hall ways, her sister and bodyguards close behind, she threw open the doors to a large room. Some of the walls had been knocked down, making it larger than the room likely was back when the University was operational. 

The room's perimeter was filled with security officers, all armed to the teeth. The middle of the room was left empty, various weapons lying on a table placed atop a mat. She glanced at the clock on the wall. "Two minutes. We all ready?"

The officer that was clearly in charge nodded, closing the doors behind Blossom, who had just walked in, and locking them. Bubbles looked to her sister. "So what exactly am I practicing?"

Blossom adjusted her glasses. "Well, this Insight is apparently incorporeal, but it's very possible that your bubble might still affect him. If you can rapidly create bubbles of increasing sizes, it's possible that you might manage to pierce him with one, locking him in place and, assuming you don't allow water to pass through, cutting the blood flow through his body. The pain could theoretically be enough to get him to stop using his powers, allowing us to attack and maybe subdue him. It might even release Euphoria from whatever prison he's holding her in."

Bubbles nodded. "Wouldn't that require us to know where he is, though?"

Blossom made an agreeable sound with her throat. "Yes, it's all very hit or miss. I don't even know if your bubble can affect him, or where we should even attempt to use the technique. Perhaps we could lure him out somehow. But right now that doesn't matter, it's time for the drop. I need you to practice rapidly making bubbles of different sizes while you can."

Bubbles nodded, an alarm ringing through a PA system in the building. Moving over to the mat, Bubbles felt a tingle in her body as she removed the bubble. She couldn't see it from inside the drop point, but she knew that, were it a clear day, anyone outside would see a slight shimmer of the air as the bubble pulled away, disappearing. Those near the bubble's walls would definitely see it, if they were paying attention.

For the next forty-five minutes, Bubbles worked hard using her powers. She was constantly placing and dropping bubbles, slowly increasing in size by 1 centimeter increments. Slowly being a relative term, of course, as the action was very rapid.

Blossom was there helping too. She was keeping time, checking Bubbles's speed, making sure it was fast enough that Insight would have no hope of escaping by running. She also randomly threw glasses of water onto the bubble, ensuring that Bubbles was keeping water from passing through. She'd also occasionally shout, prompting Bubbles to stop the action, holding the last bubble she had raised before the shout. Should this work and Insight cry out in pain, Bubbles would have him trapped.

With fifteen minutes left before raising the bubble, they stopped. Bubbles eyed the clock, itching to get out of there. Blossom walked over, patting her on the shoulder. Bubbles pulled away from the touch.

"That was a good job. You should be fast enough to catch him. Now we just need to find a way of locating him, and hope that this works. Leave that to me though." Blossom smiled.

Bubbles frowned. "Yeah whatever, just let me know when you need me."

Blossom's smile turned to a frown as well. "Yeah..." her sister trailed off.

Bubble's began pacing across the mat. I just want to leave. I always get so worked up at these practice sessions. It feels uncomfortable...Oh who cares, I just want to leave. She glanced at the clock. Ugh, why is time so slow! I wish I had time powers too. Stupid Calamity.

Xr7QrVP.jpg?1

Buttercup's mobile rang. She had just finished setting up a perimeter around Hypno's house. Flipping the thing open, she lifted it to her ear. "This is Queen Buttercup."

"My Queen, this is lieutenant Donaldson from the Adair Village Checkpoint. We've found something you'll likely want to see." 

Buttercup allowed a sigh to escape her lips. "Lieutenant, I don't have time for this. You've no doubt heard the news." Buttercup herself had heard the broadcast over the radio while she was gather personnel for Hypno. "I'm sure you can handle it."

"Ma'am, you'll really want to see this. I think a High Epic just entered town."

Buttercup stopped. Another High Epic? Here? An hour ago? Have we become some High Epic magnet recently? "I'll be there shortly, lieutenant. Thank you for calling me." She hung up the phone, all her mental power channeled into not crushing the tech in her hand.

She took to the sky, bee lining for Checkpoint Adair, landing mere minutes after take off. Moving towards the surveliance office, she took not of the bubble going back up, a slight shimmer to the air giving it away. Right on time.

She burst into the surveillance building, the lieutenant and some kid staring at a computer. The lieutenant saluted, prompting everyone else in the room to do so. He then pulled up some footage on a larger screen. He began playback, and Buttercup witnessed a particularly brutal fight.

"Okay, which one do you think is the High Epic? The sound one? She didn't seem to show any kind of invincibilities." 

"No ma'am. It's this one," lieutenant Davidson pointed out a man standing off to the side, eating some kind of pastry, it looked like. "My Queen, he doesn't flinch at the fight at all. In fact, he keeps on eating. It doesn't bother him one bit. He doesn't feel like he's in any real danger."

Buttercup stood closer to the screen. "Play it again, please." The playback resumed once more. The lieutenant was right.

Sparks.

Edited by Blaze1616

handup.jpg

Atrophy watched intently as he applied the whirring saw to the dead creature's skullcap. Blood leaked out in stead of spraying, due to the lack of blood pressure- the creature being dead and all. Much less messy.

Not that Atrophy minded mess, of course.

It wasn't long before the small surgical saw had completed its rotation and Atrophy had gently removed the top of the skull, exposing the brain. Atrophy handed the skull fragment and saw to an attending nurse, and gently removed the brain from its protective shell. A small smile was the only sign that he was quite contented. The skeletal Epic placed the brain on a separate table and began gently cutting into it, recalling the passing interest he had had in psychology and neuroscience in high school and university. Hmmm... how curious. Atrophy thought to himself as he examined the frontal lobe. It seems.... altered in some fashion. I cannot quite ascertain the cause of my unease, but this lobe appears almost withered. Too withered to just be from its actual death. The creatures could not feel pain either, I will check their insular cortex....

Atrophy cut into the brain further, peeling back layers of brain matter, and exposing the insular cortex- centre of pain reception. He pursed his lips at what he saw. Completely shrivelled. Whatever power did this caused internal chemical changes that shut off these sections of the brain completely. They were not quite killed, but certainly damaged.

One sample though, of course would not do. "Bring in the next specimen, and dispose of this one." The nurse obliged, and Atrophy continued his grisly examination.

bloodskull.gif

Iconoclast opened his eyes. Pain had awoken him.

He found himself in the sewer, exactly as he had expected. A pack of rats watched him from nearby, likely confused as to where their meal had gone. His whole body tingled, random stabbing pains and aches coming and going as if he was being attacked by a hundred knife-wielding assassins. He gritted his teeth, but even altering his body to temporarily dull his nerves would be fruitless- he had tried. No, this was a pain he would always feel upon full regeneration. At least, he thought to himself through grunts, its the only pain I feel. 

Minutes passed, and the pain slowly subsided. He groaned, and heaved himself towards the sunlight. He crawled out of the dark, filthy place of his pain, and into the midday sun. Looking around, he saw that no-one was around. "A pity," He growled to himself. "All this dying has made me quite hungry." He looked down at his filthy body, and grimaced. "And I am naked. Hmm... need clothes." Iconoclast Abruptly turned around, and stalked towards the front door of the nearest house. He knocked loudly. 

"Open up! This is the Corvallis Police Force!" He heard movement from inside, and a few seconds later, the door opened.

"What can I do for you Offic-" The servant gasped as he saw his jagged smile, and in a burst of action he bowled inside, knocking the servant out of the way and slamming the door behind him.

The servant cried out, and he punched him in the throat, an audible crack resulting. The servant gasped for breath, and Iconoclast turned around, seeing another servant holding a laundry basket. The laundry maid screamed and tried to run, but he was too fast. In seconds, he had broken her leg over his knee. 

Suddenly a tall woman dressed in an immaculate dress emerged from a doorway, rage and arrogance in her face. "You DARE attack me!?" The woman raised her arms and lightning shot towards him. He barely felt his body burn and blacken as the bolts of electricity coursed through him. He stood his ground, and as her attack ended, her arrogance turning to confusion, he healed.

"I'm sorry dear," He said, charred skin regaining its colour and knitting back together. "But I DO dare... very much so." He strolled towards her purposefully, and she started backing away, throwing more lightning at him. Despite the damage it wrought, he ignored it and grabbed her throat, lifting her off of the ground. Her eyes were wide discs of fear, and she gasped for breath. "Now, you are going to help me, my friend." Her face began turning red as she suffocated. "I will not kill you, because I have determined that I have need of you. Gather your servants, and will someone GET ME SOME CLOTHES." With that, he threw her to the ground.

Turning, he strode back to the two injured servants, gifting them both some healing. The suffocating servant, face purple and on the edge of death, gasped as breath returned to his lungs. Iconoclast crouched in front of him. "Now, I have an extra special job in mind for you." The servant regarded him with terror. "I am going to give you some of my power. And then, you are going to go to some populated place, I don't care which, and use it on people. You following me, my friend?"

The servant's eyes were wide, and he nodded slowly. "Excellent," Iconoclast grinned. "Now, I'm sure you'll want a demonstration about what this power does. Let me show you." With that, he reached out and grabbed the leg of the fallen laundry maid. She jerked and tried to escape but her struggled ceased quickly. Then they began again. Iconoclast let her go, and she climbed to her feet, rage in her eyes. She stared hungrily at her former colleague, and began staggering towards him, arms outstretched. Just before she reached him, Iconoclast stilled her with his mind, wild eyes losing focus. The male servant, still on the ground, looked sickened, horrified and shocked all in one. 

Iconoclast turned back to him. "See? That is what you will do to people. Looks fun, doesn't it? Don't worry though, they won't attack you- you set them free, after all. If you are stronger willed than you look you might be able to give them some suggestions, too." The servant looked sick. Iconoclast tussled his hair. "Now don't worry, just free people until you run out of power. Then get away and you are free to go! I won't trouble you any more. You have my word." Iconoclast sharpened a nail and scratched a bloody tear into his palm, holding it out to shake. "Do we have a deal?" The servant looked like he was about to throw up. But eventually, he took the Epic's hand and shook it.

Iconoclast smiled to put a crocodile to shame.

"Perfect."

Edited by Blackhoof

73239273-f601-4cf2-b47e-4a9e8de9f90e_zps

Reaching to one side, Cornucopia caught a water bottle that was dropped into her waiting hand. A tendril from a vine retreated back out the window, it's job now done. She undid the lid and used the bottles contents to wash the blood that had managed to get in her hands.

Her dress was already hopelessly stained with blood, dust and pieces of viscera but that would have to wait til later.

But this was not the time or place for a woman of her standing to change.

She'd separated from Atrophy some time ago, the man had seemed to have a morbid fascination with dissecting the creatures. Cornucopia enjoyed tearing the things to pieces but she did not enjoy looking at the finished product.

The creatures had been infuriatingly tight-lipped, neither reacting in obvious pain nor divulging any kind of information whatsoever. It seemed all they were good for was killing and dissecting as Atrophy was doing.

"Let him do what he wants with the rest." She told a soldier who she'd been using as an attendant. "If they haven't said anything yet they're unlikely to do so. Just keep one aside in case one of the other Queens gets curious."

The soldier saluted and marched away to carry her instructions to the others nearby.

Ah what has the city gotten itself into now?

Cornucopia longed to return to her arboretum, her revenge had been unsatisfying to say the least, she would not feel true satisfaction until she caught the Epic responsible and showed him a few of the techniques she'd used on his underlings. Unfortunately it seemed they had failed on that front too, the Epic had slipped through their clutches, apparently having killed himself rather than be captured.

Between this new Epic's arrival and attacks and the disappearance of Euphoria the city was indeed in trouble. Luckily they still had the bubble to protect them and trap any Epics inside but they'd have to stop the daily influx of new citizens for that to truly be effective. A situation Rainmaker no doubt wanted to avoid.

"Caught between a rock and a hard place." She muttered to herself, shaking her head.

Well for now there was little to be done but wait around until any further developments happened, she could leave for the Arboretum but if anything happened in the city she'd be too far out to respond then.

"Why has no one set up appropriate refreshments yet?" She demanded loudly, sending the nearby civilians and soldiers into a flurry of activity.

servant-clipart-Butler_Wearing_Tails_Hol

Roger Lyons shook visibly as he slowly made his way down the street, feeling the power of that insane Epic twitching within him, like a beast eager to be released. It was monstrous. He had been taught how to use it, forced to turn Lionel into some ravening beast, after watching Vanessa experience the same fate. What sort of power was this, to turn humans into beasts?

"A power an evil Epic expects me to use.." Roger thought to himself, wiping sweat from his pale face. "Can I really do this?"

But whenever he had doubts, he simply thought back to that Epic, its pointed teeth, its cruel grin, and the way its eyes shone with glee as it promised agony and pain should he shirk his orders. Once his thoughts returned there, he knew that he would never, could never disobey.

After some time, he finally reached an apartment complex, fellow servants crowding the entrance as they went about their business. "I..." He whispered, raising his hands, and grabbing an elderly woman, who looked at him in confusion. "I am sorry...." In seconds, just as before, the old woman lost her humanity. She roared, and tackled another man beside her. Reaching down, Roger grabbed the man's flailling hand, and turned him as well. "I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry!" People had begun noticing, turning to see an old woman and a young man rising from the ground, anger in their eyes. 

Then the screaming started.

"Thank you, Gelliton, that's the best thing I've heard all day." Rainmaker flew off before Gelliton had a chance to reply, but she was too happy to care. The best thing she had heard all day. Maybe she would finally get a real mansion instead of a large house with barely a dozen slaves. In their current mood, the slaves that she had were barely able too cook food suitable for her consumption, let alone go about the more delicate task of organizing her library. But that would change soon. With fifty vanillas to serve her every whim, she would never need to work again.

Humming to herself, Gelliton made her way back to her house, changing the color of her springboards to a triumphant onyx. The vanillas on the streets tried not to look at her, but their awe and fear was visible in their faces. Good. They should know who their masters were. She arrived at her house and smiled at the instant obedience that her servants displayed. It was good to know that not even such stupid creatures as the vanillas could be taught with the right encouragement.

She went into her library and tried to find a book suitable for her triumph. After spending more time than she should have needed to searching- how hard was it for the idiotic creatures to organize- she found what she was looking for, a book on the ten greatest battles in history. She settled down in her chair with the screams of nearby vanillas, no doubt servants who had sulked rather than worked, providing a harmonious accompaniment to her reading.

Princess%20GOOD%20icon.png

The Princess eyed the sweets as Kenshin set them down on the table, noting with displeasure a slight grumbling in her stomach. "Oh no need to trouble yourself; these candies should be fine. I'll only take a few anyways, us women need to watch our figures, after all." As she took a few from the bowl and began to nibble, the Princess tried her best to hide her disappointment as her birds returned empty-handed. A cup of steaming hot Pumpkin Spice Loose Leaf Tea (perhaps with cream and a shot of vanilla syrup) would have been lovely on a rainy day. Unfortunately, the Green Tea that Kenshin offered did not sound nearly as appetizing.

"What a marvelous ability," the Princess said, focusing on Kenshin's powers, rather than on her poor taste in tea. "Rainmaker must be very pleased to have acquired you. Have you been in the city long?"

d904cc26c817d895a0bc8b1af6be26f8.jpg

The princess turned down Kenshin’s offer for a proper meal, even if her stomach appeared to disagree with her decision. Wanting to keep one’s body in proper condition was something Kenshin could sympathize with. Not that she got the impression from her guest that she did so for a proper reasoning, instead of some kind of fashion sense. Then again, what another person thought best for their body was none of her business.

As the flock of birds returned to the table the princess started up a conversation, "What a marvelous ability, Rainmaker must be very pleased to have acquired you. Have you been in the city long?"     

Flattery was it, or maybe simply good manners. One way or another, Kenshin seated herself at the table. She gave the knife in her hand another flourish and slipped it into another sheet she created for it during that motion, making both of them disappear again.

“Thank you, having one’s skill appreciated is always an honor,” Kenshin said. “I have only been in the city for two weeks, although, because of the recent events, I did receive a job offer just today. I take it that you yourself are in Rainmaker’s service to give the city a more… peaceful appearance?”

Princess%20GOOD%20icon.png

The Princess laughed delightedly at the compliment, taking a seat and continuing to beautify her surroundings with every movement. "Oh, I suppose you could say that.  I just spruce the place up a little, you know?   Not that I can do much in this dreadful weather.  To tell the truth, I thought one of the reasons we all choose to live in Rainmaker's lovely little city is to avoid... inconveniences like rain."  The Princess smiled prettily as she popped another candy in her mouth.  "I do hope you don't mind.  I fear I may have a bit of a sweet tooth.  Now where was I?  Ah yes!  City sanitation.  Rainmaker asked me if I could help out, you see, as a sort of... personal favour I guess, and I just couldn't say 'no'.  After all, she's given us such a delightful place to live, I felt it was the least I could do."  Another candy, almost unnoticed, vanished into her mouth after being plucked from the bowl.  "These really are delicious.  It really is a shame though, all this rain.   I suppose some punishment is warranted after last night, but really it seems cruel to deprive the poor things of their happiness and then force them to go about in the wet and cold all day.  I suppose Rainmaker's got to do what she can though, managing that lot.  It must be ever so hard to rule an entire city, and without a good man at her side too.  I don't think I could do it, personally, but then, I'm quite happy just bustling around keeping things nice and tidy."  

One of her birds, the Meadow Lark, chirruped, temporarily interrupting the Princess's monologue.  "Now, now," she said sternly to the bird, "There's no need to be rude.  You know I appreciate your help.  But now you've gone and ruined my mood."  The Princess hummed briefly to herself, finding her pitch, and then sang a few lines, ordering the bird to fly home and think about it's bad behaviour.  "So sorry about that, Lady Kenshin."  The Princess said in her normal voice once the bird had departed.  "Normally I wouldn't tolerate such behaviour from my little critter friends, but Meadow Larks are one of my favourites.  And, I cannot get enough these tasty little treats!  You must share where you got them  Tell you what, you can give Sebastien instructions once he returns to collect me.  I haven't a head for such details anyways."

d904cc26c817d895a0bc8b1af6be26f8.jpg

Kenshin had to acknowledge that the princess had a talent for carrying a conversation. In fact she was so good at it that Kenshin wouldn’t be surprised if she could have a conversation entirely on her own. It was certainly a useful skill in what one may consider noble society. Having the discipline to stay polite was easy enough for Kenshin but she wasn’t quite sure how long she would be capable of holding small talk at the princess’ level.

One of the birds that have taken place around her guest gave a small chirp. An action that was apparently enough to break up the royal monologue and cause the princess to chide the bird and chase it off with a song. It seems that she really was quite intend on being the driving force of this talk, at least until she willingly gave the word to someone else.

“I’m afraid that acquiring more of those sweets may be a problem,” Kenshin said after the princess directed a question at her. “Those were among the few things I brought with me into the city, meaning that I don’t exactly have an address to get more of them but please help yourself to as many as you like and do not worry about your feathery friend. I am rather fond of birds singing myself.

“As for the current situation in the city, I am quite sure Rainmaker is doing her best, even if I can’t exactly see how having a man at her side would help much. It is only natural that a god would do honor to their name, once a demonstration of power is in place, truly call to mind what the people gain from her. From what I have seen the officers actually putting down the unrests are quite capable. All things considered a bit of rain is a rather lenient punishment,” and possibly the most some of the people here could possibly endure, Kenshin thought. After a barely noticeable pause she added, “It is a shame however that someone like you has to endure it as well.”

3130c8e5-35da-4b8e-abac-fca1a4efc2b4.png

"Dr. Skinsaver, there's a Roger, from accounting, on the line for you.  He was wondering about authorization for some expenditures?"  Skinsaver cursed, looking up from the chart he was studying.  Apparently, Rainmaker had spread word of his appointment quickly, for he hadn't found a moment of peace since returning to the Hospital.  Trying to contain his anger, he spun to face the nurse he had charged with manning his mobile.  

"Tell Roger he is supposed to be reporting to his normal superior, and that whoever that is has free reign to make their own sparking decisions."  

"But Dr. . . ."

"No 'buts'!  I think I've made myself perfectly clear, Brian.  These people need to understand that my job is just to fill in for Euphoria by coordinating between departments.  I don't have time to give my authorization every time some pencil pusher needs to buy a new eraser!"  

Brian paused, obviously at a loss for what to say.  Skinsaver resisted the urge to strap him to an empty bed and use him for a mass healing.  As a rule, Skinsaver liked to avoid overly abusing his nursing staff without cause, but today his earlier avoidance was beginning to seem painfully restrictive.  

"Fine, Brian.  Spit it out.  What is so terribly confusing for your insignificant brain to figure out?"

"I'm sorry Dr. Skinsaver, it's just, Roger was wondering about hospital expenditures?  He's just calling to check we aren't short on any supplies before drawing up a new budget."  

Wordlessly, Skinsaver held out his hand to take the mobile, waving Brian away.  "Hello, Roger.  We're actually short on..."

SKINSAVER!  I HAVE COME!  PREPARE YOURSELF TO SERVE AT MY PLEASURE!

"Roger, I'm going to have to call you back."  Skinsaver hung up the phone without waiting for a response.  There was no point in running; he knew from experience that his newest guest would find him wherever he tried to hide.  

A few minutes later, Ethereaon glided into one of the hospitals' private examination rooms.  The impossibly handsome epic wore an extravagant crimson cloak draped stylishly around his shoulders, and rings glittered on his perfectly manicured fingers.  As much as Skinsaver hated the man, levitation and being able to project words into others minds were two of Ethereaon's less useful powers.  On top of his general value, the epic had done an excellent job of acquiring friends and allies among the elite of Corvallis.  With all of the current chaos, Rainmaker would not be pleased if Skinsaver alienated someone with Ethereaon's level of political influence.  

"Is everything prepared, Doctor?  You know I would have called ahead, but it is so hard to find the time for such things these days."  Ethereaon floated over to a comfortable chair, landed, and sat down, crossing one leg over the other.  "I assure you, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes, and it is a matter of grave importance."  

"A nurse is on her way with a host.  What seems to be the matter?"  

"A few things."  Ethereaon removed a pair of designer sunglasses and began to rhythmically tap his stylish shoes against the tiled floor.  "First of all, I have an excruciating headache.  It's been bothering me all morning.  Slaughterine is worse off, of course, but she's quite the lush.  Also, the rest that goes along with a night of fun and frolic - slight nausea, sore throat, general aches and pains, you know the drill.  Also, you can target ailments that only might be there, right?"  Skinsaver nodded, counting the seconds it was taking the nurse to arrive.  "Excellent!  Well, Slaughterine and I had a bit of fun with her slaves last night, and I'm not sure how, shall we say, hygienic they are, if you know what I mean.  So if you could clean up any inconvenient after effects, that would be appreciated.  Oh, and I think there's a pimple coming in on my chin."  

Skinsaver nodded, not trusting himself to speak without displaying his disgust for men like Ethereaon.  The vain epic hadn't been the first to realize he could use Skinsaver's abilities for trivial or cosmetic purposes, but he was certainly one of the ones who did it the most.  He was saved by having to stand in silence by the Nurse's arrival.  

"Patient 2358R, here as requested.  Will you need anything else Dr. Skinsaver?"  The nurse stepped away from the gurney, revealing an emaciated-looking twelve year old boy.  

"No, that will be all.  This will only take a moment."  The boy was sedated; the patients Skinsaver used to heal others tended to make unreasonable noises at the most inconvenient of times, and it wouldn't do to upset an important epic like Ethereaon with such ruckus. Tranferring damage from an epic multiplied its severity.  The subtle blemish on Ethereaon's chin could become red and enflamed, the irritating headache would intensify, and the beginnings of any venereal disease Ethereaon had managed to contract in his night of revelry could result in a full outbreak.  Skinsaver placed a hand gently on the boy's temple, and then offered his other hand to Ethereaon to take.  "Let's get this over with."

Ethereaon smiled and took Skinsaver's outstretched hand.  Skinsaver closed his eyes for a moment, focusing on the ailments Ethereaon had mentioned, and then performed a general healing to avoid any future complaints. When he had finished  transferring everything to the boy, he gave Ethereaon a quick once-over with his x-ray vision, to check for any remaining defects that might have been missed.

"All done, you can go."  

"Thank-you Skinsaver.  I don't know what I'd do without you.  Without sparing a glance for the child, Ethereaon straightened and lifted off the ground.  Skinsaver forced himself to smile as he waved until the door closed behind the Epic.  

Finally, I can get back to work.  

"Sir," instead of Brian, it was the nurse who had wheeled the boy in who interrupted his moment of solitude.  "Brian stopped by while you were in with Ethereaon.  He told me to let you know that Roger from accounting had called again?"

Argon-150.jpg

After half an hour of walking south from Adair Village, Argon thought he knew everything there is to be known about Corvallis, local politics, local epics even about local flora and fauna. Rick, as his travel companion introduced himself, was a bottomless well of information about the city. Most of those informations were mare gossips, but still, it was nice to hear someone talk after long days of solitude in the forests. 

Argon still didn't reveal his nature, preferring not to ruin Vanillas good mood. It was important to keep low profile and avoid upsetting anyone, even a simple gossiping delivery boy.

"...and there I was, standing above the dead Epic, with this beautiful lady crying in my shoulder. Too bad I had to wake up the next second. What about you? Can you tell any interesting stories to kill the time on our way?" Rick asked.

"Well... I'm not really a storyteller type, but I can tell you a rumour I've heard about what's going on in Europe, or rather what was going on soon after Calamity rose." Argon answered, making up a story. He was always good at making up stories. "You see, a peculiar thing happened in Poland. The president and most of millitary command became Epics. Typically, that would lead to huge power struggle and civil war, however the president managed to convince everyone to work together. There were always a lot of nationalists there, many of them became Epics. It wasn't that hard for him to channel their lust for power with a couple of very well made speeches, reminding them of the events of World War II."

"Polish military managed to stay organized, reinforced by Epics, driven by their hunger for revenge against Germans and Russians. Poland stayed united, by creating two big enemies for itself. White Eagle, as the president named himself after becoming a very powerful Epic, led the assault on Berlin himself. Couple month later, Moscow crumbled beneath organized Epic and military attacks, not able to mount any decent resistance. As far as I know, the middle and eastern Europe is still ruled by White Eagle and the Husars, a squad of well trained high Epics... So, how was that for a story?"

"You're making this up man. There's no way an entire country survived the Calamity."

"I'm not lying to you, those are the stories I've heard. But sure, they might be made up, think of them as you please. There's no way you'll get to Europe to check it out yourself anyway..."

And so they walked, 8 kilometers left before they reach the Corvallis city itself.

Edited by Mestiv

gallery_8734_2_26569.jpg

Phoenix woke to the screaming of a demonic figure. Holding out a hand, he grabbed onto its throat and melted its flesh away. He ducked back into the living room of the apartment, incinerating the demon's partner, and grabbed a Coke from the fridge. Those had looked like the couple next door. Downing the Coke in one gulp, he tossed the other sodas into his bag and rummaged for some canned food in the pantry. Tossing some canned fruit and a back of tortilla chips alongside the Cokes and shouldered the pack. He'd been ready to leave for a few hours, but he needed to ensure he wasn't tracked. As safe as he was here, he was still traceable. He needed to hide, find a hideout that he couldn't be found in, and these demons provided the confusion he would need to lose any pursuers. Burning into the next apartment over, he opened the door and ran into the streets, determined not to use his powers unless there was no option. He kept running until he found an abandoned house, owners apparently ripped apart by the ghouls. As good a place as any, he decided, and headed to the back bedroom, dumping his pack onto the bed. He pushed the bed to the side, then carefully burnt a hole into the crawl space below. Sticking a spare mattress from the master bedroom, some food, lights, and a couple of other things, he was then crawled down, pulling the bed back over the hole. He'd hide out here for a few days, then see what to do. Rainmaker would pay for killing him.

gallery_8734_2_3444.jpg

Jumpdrive picked up another camera handing it to Michael, who was perched on the first floor windowsill of the two story building. "Over there, on top of the drain. No, a little to the left... Perfect." Jumpdrive looked in the box. Two cameras left, plus the tracers he was going to give the Queens. It was hard enough trying to keep track of them in peace times - with all of these attacking Epics, he wanted GPS locators on all of them. A growling noise sounded behind Jumpdrive. Michael climbed up on the roof as if scared. Then Jumpdrive recognized the noise. He turned to see a charging demon trying to rip a vanilla to pieces. It clawed out the man's throat, then ran for Jumpdrive, face grotesque, growling horrifyingly. Suddenly, a green shield sprang up, knocking back the ghoul. Jumpdrive stood unconcerned, secure in his shield. Then a clatter banged the roof, and Michael and another ghoul stepped into sight. The ghoul clawed at Michael's face, pushing him off the building. Jumpdrive stepped beneath Michael, shield pulsing brightly, Michael stopping at once. The ghoul on the roof jumped for Jumpdrive with an inhuman scream, missing by just enough to miss his Firewall. The demon's back snapped with a loud, nauseating crack. Jumpdrive finally found his voice, and yanked out his phone.

"We've got ghouls on SW 3rd Street! We need help! Come on, Broadcast! Answer!" Michael ran away from the ghouls down the street, but the two started after him. Jumpdrive fumbled for the gun in his coat pocket - it was a great pistol, but he had no idea how to hit anything with it. He stood firmly in their way, but they seemed to want to go after the easier target.

"Internet tips say: Hold the gun firmly with your proper grip [an image popping up from Locator], Align the sights on the target, Place the center of the first pad of your trigger finger on the trigger, Begin pressing the trigger rearward, smoothly, without moving anything else (or while moving everything else as little as possible), Once you have created enough pressure on the trigger, it will move (sometimes imperceptibly) until the striker, firing pin or hammer in the gun is activated and starts the ignition process, firing the gun. Okay, Jumpdrive, you can do this." He lifted his arm and pointed at one of the ghouls, then pulled the trigger. BANG! The bullet exploded from the end of the gun. And missed, striking the ground twenty feet behind the ghoul and five feet to the left. He looked at the gun. It was semi automatic, so he lifted it up once more and fired again. Bang. Bang. Bang. Three more bullets clanged uselessly into the asphalt, walls, street signs. Jumpdrive looked at the magazine - only three bullets left. He held the gun like he'd seen in first person shooters, hoping for better results. It was harder than expected - he'd been good at Black Ops, but he never had actually had to hold the gun. Bang! That one was much further off. He noted a tip in his database that said to hold it steady on some surface to keep it straight. He rested the barrel on his nearly empty box, then pulled the trigger, careful to hold it still. The bullet sped out, finally hitting the ghoul.

cleardot.gif

"Headshot!" Jumpdrive cheered. Then the other ghoul attacked, bouncing of the shield over and over. Jumpdrive grasped for his phone. "Broadcast, I need help here!"

Edited by 18th Shard

vA5tgC7.png

"Thank you," he muttered the words, accepting the cup of coffee from his secretary. Raising the cup to his mouth, he took a deep breath, allowing the stench of bean to fill his nose and lungs, his eyes closing from sheer pleasure. He recalled a study from prior to Calamity that said the smell was the largest factor of why people enjoy coffee. Silently agreeing, he took a large swig of the hot liquid. Broadcast loved his coffee.

The screen in front of him was showing one of the station's programs, and it was time to show the Rainmaker ad again. He'd already seen it about eight times, so when it started he got up from his chair and headed towards the window which Blossom had been looking out of mere hours ago.

The rain was still coming down, the clouds overhead not even moving in the wind of the day. Looking down to the ground, he watched as people bustled, vanillas and Epics. From this height, he couldn't tell them apart, their mannerisms not observable to his eyes this far away.

Taking another drink, he felt his leg buzzing. Reaching into his pocket, he looked at the mobile for a long few seconds. He'd made a reputation for himself, he couldn't very well answer on the first buzz. Unless it was Rainmaker, of course, but he had programmed his mobile to buzz a different pattern should she call. This was not Rainmaker, but Jumpdrive.

He picked up after the fourth buzz had finished. Only Queens got picked up after three. He took one more sip of coffee before smiling, "What can I do for Jumpdrive today?"

Jumpdrive didn't answer, instead noises of a fight coming through. Gunshots included. "Um, hello? Jumpdrive?"

"Headshot!" The exclamation came through the mobile loud and clear. Broadcast's first thought was that Jumpdrive was playing a video game, but the gun shots sounded so real, and the patter of rain coming through the receiver told him otherwise.

Hearing the audio jumble as Jumpdrive lifted his mobile back to his face, Broadcast started, "I see you've decided to try actually living a lif-"

"Broadcast!, I need help here!" Jumpdrive's voice was somewhat panicked, adrenaline clearly coursing through the Epic's veins.

Broadcast let out an audible sigh, "And where would 'here' be?" He allowed a touch of annoyance to fill his voice. Of course, Broadcast knew where Jumpdrive was. He could tell which direction, and how far away, the signal was coming from. Allowing for satellite connection, and Broadcast could figure that Jumpdrive was somewhere around SW Third Street. But just simply knowing was no fun. Plus, even if Jumpdrive was in danger, he had a prime invincibility with the firewall of his. It was okay to have a bit of fun.

It certainly livened up his job.

Xr7QrVP.jpg?1

Buttercup watched the security feed once more. Reports of more attacks were coming through as well. It was too much. First the energy Epic last night, then Insight, then these Ghoul attacks, and finally this new High Epic. Buttercup's thoughts were racing as her frustration grew.

What does he want? Why is he here? Why even come to Corvallis at all? Why not take over some other city elsewhere? Ugh, well I'm not getting anywhere just watching this, I need to do something.

She looked up at the lieutenant, who was patiently awaiting instructions. "Send some men to go deal with these new attacks. I'll intervene if I have to, whether there's too many or someone rather important is being attacked. Otherwise I'm dealing with this guy," she pointed at the screen.

"My lady, don't you need some form of back up? He's a High Epic." The man seemed earnest, not intending the inherent insult in his words.

Buttercup shook her head, "No, we don't need to waste men on this. I've got someone else in mind." The man looked somewhat puzzled, but nodded and moved to do as he was told. Good and obedient. 

Buttercup settled her nerves, taking a few deep breaths. Pulling out her mobile, she dialed Broadcast. Fully expecting to sit for a few seconds as Broadcast did whatever it was he always did to make her wait, she was surprised when the busy tone rang through. Closing the mobile, she considered just sending him a text, but decided it was better to wait a few moments before trying to call one more time. 

I knew I should've written her number down, rather than just giving her Broadcast's.

bloodskull.gif

Iconoclast smiled as he waved goodbye to the last gifted servant, sending her off to cause more chaos. The defeated Epic lay in a leather chair, tied securely.

Now it was just him and her.

He turned to the Epic, moving but not struggling in her restraints. She could easily escape them, but he had warned her about using her powers. And like all Epics when faced with a hopeless situation against a superior force, she relented.

"Now, it is time to discuss your part in this." Iconoclast began. "How do you feel about this city?"

She looked confused for a second before replying. "I... It is a paradise. I have... Well, had an army of slaves and servants. All the luxuries of a pre-Calamity lifestyle. What more could I ask for?"

Iconoclast leaned in closer. "How about... Freedom."
"...freedom, sir?"
"Freedom! You are trapped here, with the Queens controlling all you do. They give all, and apparently, given Euphoria's disappearance, they can take all. This is a system doomed to collapse. Don't you want to be at the forefront of it all? Wade through the blood of tyrants as you take your due? You, my dear, can help me bring down this city, and you can be free. No-one truly owns what has been given to them. Only in force is true ownership found."

She looked thoughtful. "Very well, I will help you. But if the Queens catch me, I will claim you forced me."

Iconoclast cut her bonds with a flick of a talon and smiled. "My friend, I would not have it any other way."

Edited by Blackhoof

The vanillas were interrupting her reading. The screams from outside, which had previously been at the perfect distance for a background to her reading, were becoming louder and closer. Gelliton decided that she had to do something to quiet the uproar. Reluctantly rising from her chair, she set the book down and strode to the window. What she saw was not what she had expected; instead of one of her neighbors disciplining her servants, she saw a scared-looking man surrounded by a crowd of bestial once-men. As she watched, he touched a servant who had tried to flee from the nearest house. Within a few seconds, the servant' s expression went from terrified to blank to feral. Realizing that the man in the center of the once-men was either an epic, or judging by his bedraggled state, a gifted human, Gelliton began to draft a transparent pool of gel, warily watching the man.

As she watched, one of the neighboring epics, a strength epic named Atlas, came out and threw one of the creatures into a tree with an audible snap. The leader turned towards him, as did many of the creatures. The man wore a look of intense concentration for a second and then the creatures, to a man charged at Atlas. The epic went down under a tide of once-men, and while he managed to kill a few, he was quickly killed. The creatures crowded around the epic and began to bite off chunks of his flesh.

Prepared, and having seen quite enough, Gelliton shot three tendrils through her window, unpacking the man in the heart with one and in the legs with the others, to slow him if he had healing. The precaution seemed unnecessary,as he fell over, apparently dead. She broke the rest of the window with her gel and made a ramp to the ground. She then dissolved the ramp into spears, impaling the once-men and leaving them dead on the ground.

Gelliton surveyed the mess before her and decided that a view like that would not do. She pulled out her mobile, and sent a text to Buttercup, saying that she had witnessed a man with the ability to strip higher function from humans attacking the area around her house. After requesting a clean-up for the mess in her front yard, she asked for a new window,explaining that it had been damaged in the attack. Changing into a clean dress, she had ordered the bloody one burned, Gelliton returned to her reading, wondering what new distraction the day would offer.

• 4 weeks later...

summer.gif

Fortunately for Summer, the house to which she was headed wasn't far from Drainer's lair. Actually, it was almost right next to her shared quarters. It was a rather big house, certainly better looking that Drainer's. She wondered if envy about a house was the reason she was sent to spy on that Argon guy, but it didn't seem likely. From her master's reaction, it was obvious that those two Epics knew each other and they weren't in good relations. 

For most of the time on her way there, she thought about how will she take a photo of this new Epic without being noticed. Many male Epics probably wouldn't mind if a you girl wanted to take a picture of them, however, if this guy wasn't like that, asking him for a photo would be like a suicide. Snapping a picture while he's not paying attention seemed like the best way to do it. She'll just have to be patient and ready to use the occasion. So let's say the picture is taken... then what? She's supposed to stay there, pretending to be a servant girl assigned to him. What if he's an even worse sadist and pervert that Drainer? Everything was possible with Epics. His power set didn't look ominous at all, especially this cake creation power, but she was worried anyway.

Her thoughts continued to race as she joined the group gathered outside Argon's house. She immediately noticed the tension in the air around them.

"We work for ten hours every day and have to live in overcrowded houses, sharing beds and not having any privacy, while some stupid Epics just come to this town and they get a house like this for nothing! I don't know how could we stand this just couple days ago!" One of the servants whined while others agreed with him.

"We sure do deserve better treatment!"

"I hope this new Epic get's murdered just like Firefly!"

"I'm not gonna clean this house unless he makes me!"

The grumbling continued while they all waited for Argon's arrival. Despite the general discontent and slightly rebellious moods none of them dared to enter the house before it's new owner arrived.

• 3 weeks later...

Collab between 18th Shard and Blaze1616: This Color is Blaze.

gallery_8734_2_3444.jpg        gallery_8734_2_2780.png

Jumpdrive sighed. Broadcast was, as usual, being a pain. “I’m at SW Third Street. There is a bunch of ghouls attacking here, and I think some vanillas are going to be eaten.”

Broadcast’s heart skipped a beat. More ghouls. They were popping up everywhere, seemingly faster than they could be dealt with. How could the city defeat something that was propagating so quickly?

Broadcast took a swig of his coffee, the heat soothing his pulse, but attitude was needed to soothe his agitation. “I see...and you’re not stopping them? I don’t see how I’m supposed to help.”

“Well, seeing as I have no offensive powers and my uh… marksmanship skills are somewhat subpar, maybe you could get someone over here to help?!” Jumpdrive spun as another ghoul darted out behind him. It lunged for him, his Firewall activating at stopping it in its tracks. It’s? Is it still gendered? he mused, then decided people’s lives were slightly more important right now. Stupid people, getting in the way of my learning. “Maybe see if Queen Buttercup is available at all? Or Blossom? Really almost anyone. I'd even be fine if you got Atrophy here, as long as he stopped the sparking things.” Language. I'm really annoyed now aren't I? ‘Your pulse is several tens faster than average, and signs of adrenaline are abundant,’ Locator notified him. Sparks. Okay, terrified for my life is probably closer to the truth. How would my Firewall react if I have a heart attack? If under immense stress, cardiac rupture is possible. Focus, Jumpdrive. The ghoul tried to dodge around him. Another ghoul burst out of the building. ‘They appear to be coming from inside.’ Locator pulled up an audio clip from right before the attacks had begun. ‘And this sound could possibly be screams. Perhaps the Epic responsible is inside.’ Jumpdrive jogged toward the doorway.

Broadcast rolled his eyes. He’d forgotten that Jumpdrive had no offensive powers, much like himself. Hearing more commotion across the line, his chest briefly panged with pity. “All right, I’ll get in touch with Queen Buttercup and ask her to send some help.” He immediately hung up, and took a moment to sip his coffee.

Moving to dial Buttercup’s number, his phone began buzzing before he could start. His eyes darted over the caller I.D., a small smile rising to his lips as he read “Queen Buttercup” silently. He took another sip before answering, waiting the mandatory three buzzes.

“Ah, just the Queen I was wanting to talk to!”

Edited by 18th Shard

summer.gif

Summer walked around the house, looking for a place away from the small crowd. She wanted some peace and quiet before risking her life, pretending to be a member of staff in the house of her owners enemy. If this Argon had any mind reading abilities, she was practically dead already (the sheet that Drainer gave her didn't say anything about those, but you can never know with these Epics...). If not, she'll be dead as soon as he finds out she sends reports to some other Epic or someone from the staff mentions that she's not assigned to his house by the government. There were so many things that could go wrong, she just needed some place to calm down and relax for a moment. The backyard seemed like a good place to check.

She sat down on an old wooden bench inside a gazebo. Her heart slowing down as she focused on the nice scenery around her. Nature took over what was once a neatly cut garden and now it was more like a meadow in a forest with flowers, weeds and bushes. Despite the terrible weather she relaxed, sitting under a roof, with warm clothes, she didn't mind some rain and humidity. For a moment she felt like if the world wasn't a devastated place, ruled by hungry for power humans with super powers, but something calmer, nicer...

Meow.

Summer looked around looking for the source of the sound, not sure if she even heard anything. She hardly ever saw any animals in the city and she suspected it might be Queen Cornucopia's doing. After all she was so obsessed with her plants, she may consider any animals a threat to her preciouses. Or maybe it was because of this strange Epic, who deluded herself that she was some kind of a princess? She could summon animals or something like that...

Meow.

She crouched near a shrubbery and saw a pair of bright yellow eyes staring at her. When her eyes adjusted to the darkness bellow the plant, she saw a black kitten. The only parts of it that weren't made of pure darkness were it's eyes and a single white whisker.

Meow.

Now that she could focus on the sounds the kitten made, it sounded a bit miserable. From what she could see, the cat was skinny and weak. She wasn't sure if it wasn't her imagination, but she felt like if it was looking at her with plea for help in it's eyes.

Without thinking twice, she went back to the front of the house. This Argon guy still didn't arrive and his staff was wandering around, apparently bored of their whining and complaining. Many years have passed since the last can of cat food left a factory in the Fractured States, but fortunately Corvallis provided supplies for kitchens, including raw meat, currently stored in styrofoam container with ice. She managed to steal a small piece of it while pretending she was counting all the food containers.

When she returned to the shrubbery the cat was still there. She cut off a little piece of meat using her pocket knife and held it in her hand to warm it. Then she threw it carefully in front of the kitten. After a quick sniff the kitten ate it and started to look around for more. She repeated the process many times, until the cat was no longer interested in food. Instead, the little ball of darkness slowly walked toward her and rubbed her hand with it's cheek, purring quietly. She rubbed it back. It seemed that Summer has found a new friend in Corvallis.

Edited by Mestiv

Shatter Shot glanced around Corvallis. This place was quite new to her, but it seemed better than where she'd been before. Now, her goal was to find a nice place here where nobody, human or Epic, would bother her; Which would mean finding a place high enough so humans wouldn't bug her, but low enough so other Epics didn't bother to notice her unless they were careful. But, how could she possibly find a place? Who to ask for help? She would watch for a day or two, then decide. She slipped into the shadows to hide unil she found a way.

She glanced around again, making sure she hadn't been seen. She kept her hand on her gun, her other hand in her pocket in case she needed to replace her bullets, and started on her way through her new city.

Xr7QrVP.jpg?1

"Ah, just the Queen I was wanting to talk to!" Broadcast's voice rang through her mobile. Buttercup snorted, but didn't get on his case. "I apologize for taking so long to answer, I was just getting off a call from Jumpdrive," the Epic said, his voice teasing.

"No matter," Buttercup said, "I need you to do me a favor. News of a new high Epic entering town has come to my attention. I'd like to approach him myself, but I want some backup should things go south. There's an Epic living near Walnut and 13th named Kenshin. Please forward to her the message I've just sent to your mobile."

Broadcast didn't reply for a moment, Buttercup assumed he was checking the message she had sent. "Mm, of course. And in return I have some information for you. Jumpdrive called to inform me that he's run into some of those creatures down near SW 3rd Street."

"All right. I'll handle the situation there before heading over to Kenshin's. If she responds yes, please also send a convoy over to pick us up from her place. If she responds no, send me a message so I don't waste my time."

"Of course, my liege."

Buttercup hung up, letting his remark rile her emotions but not giving him the satisfaction of a response. Taking to the skies, she flew south at a quick pace. SW 3rd Street, also known as Pacific Highway, was near her house, just across the Marys River. It took her a few minutes, and as she approached she slowed down, keeping her eyes open for the commotion. Gunshots announced the location. 

Zipping over, she saw a handful of dead bodies, and Jumpdrive holding the gun, heading into a building. Eyeing the bodies, she noted they seemed to be coming from inside the structure. 

She crashed through a window, landing on her feet in a room with about fifteen of the creatures, though only one of them registered any surprise at her entrance. She didn't have time to think about that now, however, and she set to work. Fists and feet went flying, her muscles tightening with each connecting blow. The sounds of bones crunching, meat squishing, and blood splashing rang in her ears. 

Before she knew it, she had dropped almost all of them in the room, and the one that had been surprised at her entrance was cowering in a corner behind two more of the savages, Buttercup having blocked the exit. She eyed him like a predator, the rage in her chest boiling, but she wasn't quite done. Stepping forward, the two animals guarding the man were growling, readying themselves to pounce.

Another step, and she growled back. Their eyes were hollow, nothing human left in them. They bared their teeth, pointed monstrosities that dripped with drool.

Yet another step, and they charged. One leaped into the air, achieving inhuman heights as it flew over its companion, who was running full speed toward her. Buttercup shifted her weight to her back foot, reaching up and grabbing the one right out of the air, using its momentum to spin her around a full 360 degrees, throwing the creature at the cognizant human still cowering in the corner. She then accepted the full brunt of the tackle that had come her way.

She grappled on the ground with the thing, its teeth sinking into her arm. She let out a howl of pain, her fist connecting with its temple over and over until it let go. Throwing it off of her, she stood up and pinned it to the wall, her hand jabbing its neck to crush its windpipe, and she released it to suffocate on its own, turning her attention to the one now rising from the heap it had landed in, the human underneath still recovering.

It leaped at her again, but Buttercup was done playing around. She spun, delivering a roundhouse kick that could bring down a building right to the creature's head. The satisfying crunch of skull was like that of church bells on a Sunday afternoon to her ears. Buttercup stood, a bloodied mess, staring right into the eyes of the only other living creature in the room, more than a dozen bodies laying around her. 

He trembled under her gaze, a frightened gurgle escaping his lips as she approached. Buttercup bent over, and lifted him off the ground by his collar. "You..." she trailed off as she ran her eyes up and down his body, "You are not the Epic from this morning." 

"E-Epic?" His voice was feeble, terrified.

Buttercup squinted at the man, his eyes fully human. He might not be one of those things, but that doesn't mean he's not been gifted in some means. Her thoughts drifted back to the sports fields the night before, where a specific human had been gifted enhanced abilities. "What's your name?"

"T-Tim! Tim Jones, my Queen!" Buttercup shook him, getting frustrated with the stuttering. He squeaked at the shaking.

"And why were those last two guarding you, Tim?" This was getting more and more suspicious.

"Th-They weren't! They were attacking me, when s-some guy outside the window attracted their attention. Then some g-gunshots rang off before you came in through the window. They were going to eat m-me!"

Buttercup took a moment to think it over. Better to be safe than sorry. She threw him to the ground, his body crumbling as if he had no strength to stand, his trembling visible. "Tim, if you're telling the truth, then I'm truly sorry." She lifted her boot, and crushed his head beneath it. A high pitched cry escaped his lips before his head crumpled like paper. 

"Well, maybe not," she sighed, wiping the gore from her shoe onto the floor. Turning toward the door, she exited into a hallway, looking for the Epic she had come to rescue. She called out, "Jumpdrive?!"

vA5tgC7.png

Broadcast scanned the message that Buttercup had sent him. It was concise and to the point, much like the Queen who had sent it.

Kenshin,

I know I haven't given you much time to think over my job offer, however a situation has come to my attention and I'd like your help. An unknown High Epic was caught on tape entering the city today. His collected information claims he's just a regular Epic though. I was hoping you would be willing to come with me to speak with him, see what this is all about.

If you'd like to join me, please respond "Yes". If not, please respond "No".

Thank you,

Queen Buttercup

He took a sip of his coffee before pressing the send button. Looking back out the window, he noticed the green streak of light in the sky. He let out a soft sigh, a little disappointed that his teasing hadn't gotten to her during the call.

Chasmfiend hated applications, including the one he was answering right now. He had been lucky that the line quickly dissapated when he cqame on his beast. However, to become a citizen of Corvallis, he had to finish this application without killing the interviewer. She was very pretty, of course. It's what you expected when you were going to paradise.

"Are you an epic?"

"Yes, I am an epic."

"Name?"

"My name is Chasmfiend. And please speak in full sentences."

She rolled her eyes at that. "What is your pre-calamity name?"

"My name was once Darren Jarnot."

"Fourth question. What are your powers? You don't have to tell us everything, but it is recommended, as it establishes your usefulness and standing while in Corvallis."

"I will go ahead and tell everything. I can create and control this beast, as I'm guessing you guessed. I can split the ground to create canyons or chasms. I heal incredibly fast, and my touch increases the healing speed of others. Finally, I can enhance a material's properties, making them lighter, stronger, etcetera."

"Ah, now, my favorite question; what is you weakness?"

He glowered at her. "I am certain Rainmaker will find out soon enough. If she doesn't, then she doesn't deserve to rule."

"OK, then. A couple more questions, and you're free to enter."

He guessed that the questions that came next weren't unnecessary, just boring. It took all his willpower not to kill her, but it helped that she was beautiful. Helped him concentrate. Eventually, she was nearly finished, and was staring nervously and the very large blade he had taken out, and he seemed to be able to lift it like nothing.

She asked, "Will you work for the government?"

"For Rainmaker. No one else."

"Any other questions?"

"No, I don't think so."

"Ok, you may enter. Go to Tangent City Park. Rainmaker will explain everything, and you will receive your house keys, and shortly after that, some servants will come."

The video was a bit boring, and he was wanting to get on with his day. When it was finished, he went to retrieve his keys for his house. He didn't have a mobile, so they sent him a vanilla to show him the way.His house was quite far away, all the way near the center of Corvallis. Probably because he had volunteered to work with Rainmaker.

During the ride on the beast, they came across a vanilla who seemed beast-like, and tried to attack the beast's leg.

-No. Bring it up here.- He prompted the creature.

The fiend raised it onto it's head, where it sped towards him. His guide scrambled behind him. Chasmfiend grabbed it's face at arms length.

"So, what are you? You can't be healed? Okay. Bye."

He threw it off the side, where the creature ate it.

"Okay, sir, this is your house."

"Good. You may leave."

He scrambled away.

" Time to relax, Gemheart. Our journey is done. We will be able to rest for awhile."

This, of course, was false.

Edited by Chasmfiend

KyOE6fXy.jpg

The conversation between Kenshin and the princess didn’t make much progress. Thus the small noise her mobile made as a message arrived on it did gave her a welcome break from the situation. She gave her apologies and read what turned out to be a text.

Kenshin,

I know I haven't given you much time to think over my job offer, however a situation has come to my attention and I'd like your help. An unknown High Epic was caught on tape entering the city today. His collected information claims he's just a regular Epic though. I was hoping you would be willing to come with me to speak with him, see what this is all about.

If you'd like to join me, please respond "Yes". If not, please respond "No".

Thank you,

Queen Buttercup

While the message was signed with queen Buttercup’s name, the number of the sender was the one Buttercup had given Kenshin to contact earlier. Did she have it relayed, because she herself didn’t have Kenshin’s number? It seemed likely.

Whatever the case actually was, the actual question was whether or not she wanted to take the offer. It would be a good occasion to see Buttercup in action, so she could form a better opinion about her and what kind of work she may have to do for her, if she decided to accept the job with security. Naturally, confronting a High Epic held a certain amount of risk, depending on how they protected themselves from harm and what offensive powers they had in addition.

Kenshin glanced over at her guest.

A chance to actually work and maybe have a little bit of sport didn’t sound bad right now.

Queen Buttercup,

Yes. It would be an honor to accompany you. Where should I meet you?

Sincerely,

Kenshin

With her response send, Kenshin turned back to her guest. “I apologize for the distraction,” Kenshin said. “It seems that something has come up and one of the Queens requested my aid. I hope you can understand that this is a matter I can’t delay. Still, even if I can’t stay with you, my abode is still open for you. You were searching for a bed were you not?”

Truth be told, offering her a chance to lay down in her bed was mostly to make up for simply stopping their conversation, which she normally would consider as a break of her responsibility as a host, and not because she had much care for the princess’ well-being but even if she wasn’t pleased at the thought of having her bubble around even more in her house and without supervision there wasn’t much damage she could actually do. The only things she cared for in this shell of a house were the ones she made herself and replacing them would be easy enough.

• 2 weeks later...

[insert ThunderSpear image here]

Whoa. I guess they didn't lie about how big that bubble was. ThunderSpear thought to himself, resting his spear on the ground. I'll try the checkpoint--certainly easier. He could see the rain within the city, and gloried in it. Almost there.

As he approached, ThunderSpear could see a small crowd of people waiting on the road outside of the bubble. Hmph. A line? Pathetic.

"...dropped in 10 ten minutes!" a voice called out.

Reaching the checkpoint, he pressed his hand to the bubble, channeling a burst of electricity into it, with barely a fizzle. Satisfied, he walked back over to the road. "Well? Are you going to let me in yet?"

A young man, clearly a weak epic, waited for him. "Sorry, but you have to answer a few questions first."

ThunderSpear rolled his eyes, twirling his spear. "Whatever. But make them fast."

"Do you mind being recorded?" the man asked.

"Sure." ThunderSpear sighed, leaning on his spear.

"I have to ask; are you an Epic?"

"Duh."

"Name?"

"ThunderSpear."

"Pre-Epic name?"

"Arge."

"Full pre-Epic name?"

ThunderSpear glared at him, his eyes boring into the far weaker epic.

"Uh...nevermind. What powers do you have?"

In response, ThunderSpear pointed off to the side, into the group of epics waiting behind him, and a blast of lightning shot out, ripping most of them apart, except for an epic who had some sort of blast resistance, though the shrapnel from other people still hurt him.

"Anything else?"

"Do I need anything else?"

"I guess not." the man said with a grin, betting on that being a joke. "Now...what is your weakness?"

"Pencils."

"Really? Most people don't actually answer that."

"Well, duh. Though I'd like to see you try to stab my armpit with a pencil."

"Alright...and last question. Would you be willing to work for the government?"

"I'm not planning on staying for very long. I'll help as long as it suits me."

"Alright. And our leader would like me to pass on that she doesn't like potential candidates being blown up."

"Whatever." ThunderSpear said, walking past where the bubble had been as it shimmered away.

Edited by Weirdpersonx