What is this [Lark's Gallery]

Kestrel

My Gallery

Titled "What is this" because really, what is this. I sure don't know.

http://larkoftheriver.deviantart.com
http://larkoftheriver.tumblr.com

divinity_by_larkoftheriver-d86o03e.jpg

Hey guys I'm LarkoftheRiver. Or Sarah. Or Lark, River, Riv, whatever nickname you have came up with. This is the place where I will update and post my artwork. Nifty, eh? Not really. I don't know. I'm 16, and have been drawing for about six years now, give or take. Some traditional artwork, but mostly digital. I have gotten more into watercolor and paint, as those are fun to play with and splatter everywhere. I'm completely self taught. My work is done in Photoshop CS5.5 for Mac, but I also use Firealpacha on occasion and animate with Flash and Premiere. Basically I'm an Adobe user. Also learning Autodesk Maya, which is for 3D. Let's see how that goes. My subjects are mostly nature and animals, but I've been working out my people for a few months now and have made huge improvement from when I first started. Basically I'm a nerd. I'm still scared of this place to an extent. Please talk to me if you want. I don't bite.

res_by_larkoftheriver-d8h765z.gif

This is mostly for my own organization, I guess. But feel free to look. All the art will be in spoiler tags labled with the year it was done, or at least dated as accurately as I can without looking up the file's timestamps on my computer. I will take Cosmere/other fandom related requests (no OCs however) if I am in that fandom. I also take point commissions on Deviantart, and will start real money commissions soon. They are ordered in reverse chrological order, so it is easier to update the page.

Also, I love feedback! Please give me feedback. This is your invite to comment, critique, anything constructive so that I can improve. I always want to improve. If you have any questions or want a tutorial, please ask!

Any art that says blood warning has blood. I do not draw much blood/gore usually, nor is it intense, but its there just in case anyone needs it.

On a side note, instead of upvoting, could you please reply to the thread? It makes it easier for me to update things and give me more feedback! Thank you for viewing!

COSMERE/SANDERSON SPECIFIC

because that's what ya'll are here for.

2015. Tensoooon

wolfhound_by_larkoftheriver-d8un02n.png

2015. elantris art

tumblr_nn6ugn6a0e1t48sgio1_500.jpg

2015. a vasher grump

vasher_by_larkoftheriver-d8r53wt.png

kelsier_by_larkoftheriver-d8mq0jp.png

dbsfbjhdk_by_larkoftheriver-d8kj8yj.png

2015. a bit improved.

kaladin_copy_by_larkoftheriver-d8c0sh8.p

2014 this bad

kelsier_by_larkoftheriver-d882sy9.png

2014. I have decided that I want to draw landscapes. Kredik Shaw.

test_by_larkoftheriver-d85qgf1.png

2014 old old old old old

mistborn_by_larkoftheriver-d7n68dx.png

freedom_by_larkoftheriver-d8ydr2f.png

wolves_by_larkoftheriver-d8sqhgw.png

wolfhound_by_larkoftheriver-d8un02n.png

img085_copy_by_larkoftheriver-d8r56iu.jp

tumblr_nn6ugn6a0e1t48sgio1_500.jpg

vasher_by_larkoftheriver-d8r53wt.png

ruuza_by_larkoftheriver-d8ncvns.png

kelsier_by_larkoftheriver-d8mq0jp.png

untitled_by_larkoftheriver-d8lst8v.png

dbsfbjhdk_by_larkoftheriver-d8kj8yj.png

09a6ec7ffc3ff92ae41cb15934b296f4-d8j4w8q

commish_4_by_larkoftheriver-d8eaq7z.png

wolf_by_larkoftheriver-d8cr9m8.jpg

kaladin_copy_by_larkoftheriver-d8c0sh8.p

test_by_larkoftheriver-d85qgf1.png

ss_by_larkoftheriver-d8b1jc4.png

divinity_by_larkoftheriver-d86o03e.jpg

deer_by_larkoftheriver-d84xxj1.jpg

flames_by_larkoftheriver-d848nzv.png

fly_by_larkoftheriver-d80sd7x.png

a87bda5b2985fe6af345c964430566e7-d7vofh6

untitled_by_larkoftheriver-d7rtotr.jpg

captivating_by_larkoftheriver-d7oo9v7.pn

lava_by_larkoftheriver-d7mifan.png

tumblr_bg_cut_by_larkoftheriver-d7hw7ae.

spaaacceee_by_larkoftheriver-d76vdn2.png

image_by_larkoftheriver-d74b831.jpg

yoshpet_by_larkoftheriver-d71u7v1.jpg

2014 with blood warning

insane_by_larkoftheriver-d83bvzd.png

Selected from way back when

sketch26215147_by_larkoftheriver-d6vqiyu

derp2_by_larkoftheriver-d6ki584.jpg

Selected with blood warning.

1387047899388_by_larkoftheriver-d6xx8j8.

Pixel Art

What is pixel art? These are little icons I make using a specific size and color pallete. Normally they're really tiny, too.

req_by_larkoftheriver-d7lolpz.gifcommish_by_larkoftheriver-d7m8bb9.gifumbreon4_by_larkoftheriver-d7pgz1g.pngpixel_by_larkoftheriver-d7q4jvq.gifreq2_by_larkoftheriver-d7rd2m1.gifcommish_by_larkoftheriver-d7vbp92.pnghorse_by_larkoftheriver-d7vvsym.pnguteaf97_by_larkoftheriver-d7xu3m8.gif < funny story with this one, its woof kaladin.

pcm__cruzlioness_by_larkoftheriver-d7xq6commish_by_larkoftheriver-d7z2uye.pngcommish467382_by_larkoftheriver-d81gzci.commishh43_by_larkoftheriver-d81ma0f.gifcommish1_by_larkoftheriver-d8b7lo4.gifcommish2_by_larkoftheriver-d8b82or.gifpcm__azurehowlshilach__dragon_2__by_larkcommish_3_by_larkoftheriver-d8bkxui.gifcommish5_by_larkoftheriver-d8c7qso.gifcommish_3_by_larkoftheriver-d8ejb6n.gifpixel_by_larkoftheriver-d8g0l2t.pnggwBD37X.gifgalaxy_by_larkoftheriver-d81of47.gifcommish2_by_larkoftheriver-d8phhrh.gifcommish_by_larkoftheriver-d8xnjvc.gif

Disclaimer- a lot of the characters are not mine. Please look on my DA for the owner. The art however, is and these cannot be used without permission from myself or the owner of the character (commissioner). Thanks.

Tutorials

PS Brush Settings

brush_settings_by_larkoftheriver-d86nb3b

Pixel art Demo

tut_by_larkoftheriver-d88vkwv.jpg

Back Legs (canine)

fullsizerender_by_larkoftheriver-d8axctx

Paws

paws__free_to_reference____by_larkofther

Edited by LarkoftheRiver

OK, this is one thing I cannot do: draw.  Necessity has gotten me decent at sketching out costume outlines, and I can muck around in Photoshop for a bit, but not so much with the drawing/painting.

You've got a knack. :)  You should totally do that thing where you grab old landscape paintings on the cheap from garage sales and paint monsters into them.

OK, this is one thing I cannot do: draw.  Necessity has gotten me decent at sketching out costume outlines, and I can muck around in Photoshop for a bit, but not so much with the drawing/painting.

You've got a knack. :)  You should totally do that thing where you grab old landscape paintings on the cheap from garage sales and paint monsters into them.

Thanks! Practice and practice. Photoshop is hard to draw in, too, as it is more meant for photoediting. Oh, the sorrow of a Mac user. I have no idea what program to use.

Never thought of doing that owo. I'm really tempted, but I don't want to ruin someone else's art! 

Wow your work is awesome! I'm noticing a wolf trend going on. :).

Thank you! My wolf trend is a disappointment. If only I had worked more on drawing humans t.t. I want to do some Cosmere animations but have no idea how to begin. My middle school self dragged me down into this hole. 

Well, that can be expected. I mean, wolves are awesome. I love wolves. :)

idk they aren't very cool to me anymore. Still fun to draw but not my favorite animal anymore.

I have four pen tablets around my house. All are Wacom. The one I use now is a Wacom Intus Pen and Touch. Currenly saving up for a Wacom Cintiq. But that's like $1000 so its either that or a piccolo. Choices.

But "hard to draw in" I meant that Photoshop is hard to use for that stuff, pen tablet or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks all! Your comments are always appreciated!

And something a little different. I've finally got Maya on my computer and was able to transfer the wolf I've been working on at school so that I can mess with it over the summer holiday. Here's what I have so far on it.

screen_shot_2015_05_30_at_10_42_24_am_by

screen_shot_2015_05_30_at_10_42_38_am_by

screen_shot_2015_05_30_at_10_43_06_am_by

He needs work. Like a lot. I currently am working with one side, so the actual editing process looks more like this

SUC2WUH.png

I just will duplicate the other side and flip it, which is how I got the above screenshots.

So that part of his face is really wonky but I'll get to that later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...