Teen Author Boot Camp

mail-mi

I'm pretty sure mail-mi and I were the only ones asking questions, and we had to be very brief. I would've recorded his answer, but they were trying to rush people through as quickly as possible. I almost brought a Reckonerverse question, but I didn't have time last night to find a good one, so I ended up just using a couple of my own questions. Sorry! :( Next, time Kobold. As I mentioned, I didn't end up having a chance to record his answers, so these are paraphrased. Especially the second one. 

Question

Crem and the Purelake on Roshar. Are either of those connected to Cultivation? 

Answer

Both were on the planet before Cultivation arrived, but both are now influenced by her. 

Question (Both my question and the answer here are heavily paraphrased from memory)

Are there Identity tricks that can be done with Self-Awakening that could allow someone to store Breaths in such a way that other people could later access them? 

Answer

Oh yeah, there are all sorts of tricks that you can do. You could use other peoples Breaths, make it seem like you don't have any Breath-

(I very rudely cut him off there to clarify something, and lost the rest of that sentence.) 

Hopefully mail-mi will be back with some Reckonverse WoBs for you!  ;) Sorry again. Get me the version of the list that doesn't contain Firefight spoilers, and I'll pick a couple questions for the next signing I attend. 

EDIT: As to a transcript, I would've worked out permission to record or something, but it didn't seem worth it. Based on my observations before entering the line, about one in twenty people asked a question, and hardly any would've provided any useful information. Perhaps there were in fact a couple gems that we've lost, but it's too late now. 

Edited by Lindel

I asked two questions. (All is paraphrased, btw.)

One about the Reckonersverse that I reported in the questions thread (Night's whisper is a super powerful Epic on the west coast, and Obliteration could definitely be there for Oregon's destruction), and I asked him to put a clue about Shadesmar on my shirt. He put:

"Shadesmar has much investiture in some places."

He explained: some places in Shadesmar have a lot more investiture than others.

Make of that what you will. :ph34r::P

A more accurate transcript of the questions would be something like this:

Question
Crem and the Purelake on Roshar. Do they have any connection to Cultivation? 
Answer
Both existed on the planet before Cultivation arrived. 
Question
But both are influenced by her now? 
Answer
Yes, she influences both. 

And for the second one: 

Question 

There's that trick with Feruchemy that lets you make metalminds that others can tap. Could you do something similar with Self-Awakening?

Answer

Oh yeah, there are all sorts of tricks that you can do. You could use other peoples Breaths, make it seem like you don't have any Breath-

Question

Awaken an object so that others could access its Breaths? 

Answer

Yes. 

(Is there somewhere I should post these? Still paraphrased, but these are more accurate.)  

Edited by Lindel

Question 

There's that trick with Feruchemy that lets you make metalminds that others can tap. Could you do something similar with Self-Awakening?

Answer

Question

Awaken an object so that others could access its Breaths? 

Answer

Yes. 

"Thinking with portals" indeed, t'would seem. Nice to get a fast turnaround from "well maybe possibly you've got possibly the right idea I guess" to "yes"; perhaps this indicates that Feruchemical aluminum isn't the key, or alternatively that Brandon just felt less cagey that day.

I hadn't realized you'd already asked about that. Nice to get a confirmation, although I feel less original now.  :P "Thinking with portals", that's quite a compliment.  ^_^ I'll make a point to read through the Chicago signing soon. Looks like there's some good stuff in there! 

EDIT: Looks like I may have come across your question and forgotten. Can't see where else I would've gotten the idea that these kind of Identity tricks could be accomplished with Feruchemy. It sounded to me like modifying one's Spiritual Identity with Awakening, like what Vasher taught that little girl to do when she erased her memories, is the key to these tricks with Breath. Similar sorts of tricks could probably be accomplished using Feruchemical Aluminum. If you've stored enough of Identity, you're able to fill "blank" metalminds with no sDNA attached, so anyone can tap them. That's my best guess. There's probably more to it than that.    

Edited by Lindel

I hadn't realized you'd already asked about that. Nice to get a confirmation, although I feel less original now.  :P "Thinking with portals", that's quite a compliment.  ^_^ I'll make a point to read through the Chicago signing soon. Looks like there's some good stuff in there! 

EDIT: Looks like I may have come across your question and forgotten. Can't see where else I would've gotten the idea that these kind of Identity tricks could be accomplished with Feruchemy. It sounded to me like modifying one's Spiritual Identity with Awakening, like what Vasher taught that little girl to do when she erased her memories, is the key to these tricks with Breath. Similar sorts of tricks could probably be accomplished using Feruchemical Aluminum. If you've stored enough of Identity, you're able to fill "blank" metalminds with no sDNA attached, so anyone can tap them. That's my best guess. There's probably more to it than that.    

I'd wager on a combination of cultural osmosis and parallel evolution here, as you've just now basically described the consensus on how Aluminum Feruchemy likely works in this regard. ;)

As for the originality of the Breath-stealing idea, I believe I may have stolen it too. I recall that it arose out of a conversation with "Outis" in an IM-style box (so sadly the original is lost to history), so I can't say for sure who's idea it was first, but I think it was his. A later iteration of the discussion is on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

One about the Reckonersverse that I reported in the questions thread (Night's whisper is a super powerful Epic on the west coast, and Obliteration could definitely be there for Oregon's destruction), and I asked him to put a clue about Shadesmar on my shirt. He put:

Hey where exactly is the thread you reported these in?

This thread. It wasn't too much, so I didn't do it in an exact Q&A form. 

Ah, okay then.  Your last post kind of implied that you did...  Would you mind putting it into a question/answer format though, as that makes it a whole lot easier to add them to the database?  (Like answers aren't nearly as helpful without the questions to go with them?)

• 4 weeks later...

Q&A form (all paraphrased):

mail-mi: There's a bunch of us on 17th shard doing a role playing game set in the Reckoners universe, and we were wondering if there are any powerful Epics on the west coast that we should know about.

Brandon: Night's whisper is a super powerful Epic on the west coast, and Obliteration could definitely be there for Oregon's destruction.

mail-mi: Thanks! Could you write a clue about shadesmar on my shirt?

Brandon (written): Shadesmar has much investiture in some places.