Sanderson Memes

Guest Cognizantastic

6 minutes ago, Figberts said:

The Oregoners are people who are members of the free form role playing group that takes place in the world of Rithmatist. They are called Oregoners because the games all take place in Rithmatist Oregon.  You can find the threads in a sub-forum of role play.

Er, it's actually the world of Steelheart. 

But it's fun! I was in it for a while (my leaving was not due to lack of enjoyment, more lack of any sort of preparation), so I'd know. ;)  

And I think technically I'm part of DA, as well. Dunno what happened with that. :mellow: 

31 minutes ago, Figberts said:

@Firerust the Terris Gyorn

Eructations=burp? I thought the medical term was transient lower sphincter relaxation.

i just looked up fancy synonyms for burp, and that word turned up.

11 minutes ago, Figberts said:

The Dark Alley is our club for people who think they are creepy and have disturbed ideas. There is an ongoing joke about giving people hemalurgicly spiked cookies. You can find the actual thread in the "clubs and guilds" section. 

The Oregoners are people who are members of the free form role playing group that takes place in the world of Rithmatist. They are called Oregoners because the games all take place in Rithmatist Oregon.  You can find the threads in a sub-forum of role play.

Thanks. I've experienced the Dark Alley's cookies in cases before and investigated them, but I still wasn't sure what their motives were. Oregoners... I had no idea at all. All I knew was that it was being made fun of. So thanks for explaining.

fiirstworldprob.jpg

1 hour ago, Figberts said:

The Dark Alley is our club for people who think they are creepy and have disturbed ideas. There is an ongoing joke about giving people hemalurgicly spiked cookies. You can find the actual thread in the "clubs and guilds" section. 

Misinformation?!?

How dare you corrupt a (relative) newcomer with such tainted misguided ideas. For one, the Dark Alley does not think itself creepy, as with of our hemalurgic testing and constructs baking, we should be downright horrifying.

And the Oregoners are more properly a group of people who do some Reckoners (not Rithmatist) RP. People wanted to do a Reckoner's RP, and since according to what is in the books, it ends up being pretty much obliterated. Since nobody wanted to have to bring in things from the book, any more than the fact that there are epics and its set in that universe, they chose Oregon as the place for the RP, as it all will get destroyed anyways. More precisely, they have several cities/towns each with their own thread in which most of the actual RP occurs. People just write up a lot of stuff in there, using both regular people and Epics.

EDIT: Just realized as I had posted that there was another page with post already on it about this...

Welp I got double ninja-ed...

Anyways @Firerust the Terris Gyorn There are plenty of places that can tell you more about this if need be.

Edited by Secrets

11 minutes ago, Figberts said:

Hey, I'm a Cosmere purist. I don't read any of the non-Cosmere works, and those books aren't even as good as Cosmere.

While I agree that the non-cosmere stuff is not quite as good, they are definitely worth a read (especially the reckoners). I mean, its Sanderson, everything he writes is worth a read.

9 hours ago, Slowswift said:

And I think technically I'm part of DA, as well. Dunno what happened with that.

I think we're currently preparing for a guild war against the Assassins in Technicolor Cloths, but got side-tracked thinking up hemalurgic abominations (so the same as always).

7 hours ago, kenod said:

I think we're currently preparing for a guild war against the Assassins in Technicolor Cloths, but got side-tracked thinking up hemalurgic abominations (so the same as always).

Guild war?

The Assassins in Technicolor Clothes are sworn against guild wars. To declare war is to break ancient oaths of the forum that existed before the invention of the computers!

27 minutes ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Guild war?

The Assassins in Technicolor Clothes are sworn against guild wars. To declare war is to break ancient oaths of the forum that existed before the invention of the computers!

You should have seen the war between the Newcago Court and the Lords of Chaos a few years ago. Sigh...young uns these days. Don't know their history. 

Basically, before the Reconers RP thread, the guilds were our roleplaying section. In the glory days of that era we had a lot of fun writing really really long posts about our war and sidequests. Nowadays most of the guilds are fairly abandoned, very quiet, and just not very interesting. This was all back when Swimmingly was the top Repped member aside from Brandon and Peter and Kobold King was a newcomer. 

18 hours ago, Figberts said:

Actually it is Reckoners. The Reckoners RP

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

This must have been truly ancient times. How old is this forum, anyway?

I'm not an expert, but I believe the original iteration of This forum was made somewhere in-between the release of Hero of Ages and The Gathering Storm. The core and founders of the 17th shard came from a subset of a different forum. The Mistborn Inquisition RP site was still a big deal back then. The Coppermind Wiki was started some time later. For a better understanding of the history older members like Quiver, Kurkistan were around then ish. Chaos, Rubix, and other staff members have been on since the beginning obviously. 

I joined around the release of Alloy of Law, when the cosmere was really starting to open up. We had found out about the Shards and Hoid by that point obviously, but our WoB library was still shallow and we didn't have as many books as we do now. Most of our WoB gathering and theorizing were about very functional parts of the magic or lore, and not so much about the grand scheme of the cosmere I think. 

The Only Joe and Del joined close to the same time as I did. Kobold a few months later I think, or maybe a month earlier. Too lazy to look it up. If I remember correctly, Delightful, Twilyght, and Kaymyth didn't join for quiet a while after that. 
The beginning of the more casual parts of the forums becoming Very active was when Queen Elsa joined, had an introduction thread that ran in excess of twenty pages, and than formed the Newcago Court. The formation of the Newcago court allowed for much more lighthearted and less strict roleplaying that SE allows, and encouraged other guilds to form, culminating in the ultimate showdowns between Chaos's Lords of Chaos and the Newcago Court, primarily led by Elsa and I, although Joe and Quiver among others were prominant players. The guilds continued, and more and more and more started popping up. The Dark Alley, first founded by Kurk and Swimmingly, but inherited by Voidus hasn't changed much from those days. 

Many of the roleplayers got tired with running around in circles in the guild halls, and started the Rechoners RP. Kobold King was instrumental to this, but as I wasn't terribly active over there I can't give a good history of it. 

Somewhere between the guildwars and Reckoner's RPing, the game threads started to hit it big with Nightwatcher, Eastern Street Slang, and several others. When I introduced the Hurt'n'Heal game to the forum it exploded in popularity faster than anything except perhaps the Reckoners RP, but than fell off, and has since gone through one, maybe two revivals. 

With Reckoners came the era of the Pony. *Shudders* Those were dark days. EVERYONE was being ponified. It was very scary. 

The discussion threads like Random Stuff, Bad day/Good Day, and the others got established and I think really helped keep many members engaged when they got bored with other sections of the forums. Unfortunately, others like Swimmingly and Queery retired. Many of the early staff who were less active let newer more active members take much of the responsibility for moderating. 

Reputation points were probably flowing fastest at this point, but there was also quiet a lot of wasted time spent on discussions about upvotes/downvotes, largely due to accidental downvotes being impossible to get rid of. 

The most prominant current members were starting to emerge as very popular and influential posters, and second tier prominance members were  joining. 

Basically, nothing outrageously interesting happened until the big update in the forum. 

*realizes that no one asked for what is probably a pretty garbled and narrow view of the history of the shard* 

*Meh, who cares.* 

8 hours ago, Left said:

*realizes that no one asked for what is probably a pretty garbled and narrow view of the history of the shard* 

I happen to enjoy forum stories of ancient times. It's like modern mythology. "In the beginning there was Time-Waster's Guide forum..."