Sanderson Memes

Guest Cognizantastic

Just now, Frustration said:

Would be funnier if it was Gandalf-son-son-Illuvitar, but less people would get that.

Feels a bit weird to use the elvish name of Eru Illúvitar but I guess even less people would get "Mithrandir-son-son-Illúvitar" and we don't know the human version of Eru Illúvitar

49 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Feels a bit weird to use the elvish name of Eru Illúvitar but I guess even less people would get "Mithrandir-son-son-Illúvitar" and we don't know the human version of Eru Illúvitar

Even more if we used Olorin-son-Illuvatar (pretty sure the Maia are the children, not grandchildren, of the One).

I’m pretty sure the human version would be God, seeing as Tolkien’s legendarium is technically supposed to be the past of our world. He’s just translating the old texts. I think we’re the Seventh Age, though I may be misremembering. Olorin-son-God would be completely inexplicable to everyone but legendarium fans though, lol!

I have to agree with Kingsdaughter here over Gandalf's real name being Olorin. I believe Mithrandir is his Elvish name, and Gandalf is his human one. I think the "son-son" should stay merely for the purpose of keeping the likeness.

BTW, there must be a thread somewhere around here for legendarium fans. Where is it?

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Even more if we used Olorin-son-Illuvatar (pretty sure the Maia are the children, not grandchildren, of the One).

I’m pretty sure the human version would be God, seeing as Tolkien’s legendarium is technically supposed to be the past of our world. He’s just translating the old texts. I think we’re the Seventh Age, though I may be misremembering. Olorin-son-God would be completely inexplicable to everyone but legendarium fans though, lol!

Yes but the quote uses Szeth-son-son-Vallano ont Szeth-son-Neturo my brain decided Neturo sounds like neutering, please send help, was one of the Dwarf forefather known to wear white? They'd work as grandchildren of Eru. I think there was also an half-Maia half-elf somewhere that might work

8 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Yes but the quote uses Szeth-son-son-Vallano ont Szeth-son-Neturo my brain decided Neturo sounds like neutering, please send help, was one of the Dwarf forefather known to wear white? They'd work as grandchildren of Eru. I think there was also an half-Maia half-elf somewhere that might work

Luthien-daughter-daughter-Iluvatar? That works!

And we could do Durin-son-son-Iluvatar

or Treebeard-son-daughter-Iluvatar.

We could also go with the second generation of elves or the second generation of humans. But I’m not sure we know the names of the gen two elves?

Just now, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Luthien-daughter-daughter-Iluvatar wore white the day she was to save a prince

We could also go with the second generation of elves or the second generation of humans. But I’m not sure we know the names of the gen two elves?

I think Fëanor was gen 2

22 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

19 minutes ago, mathiau said:

I think Fëanor was gen 2

Dior-son-daughter-Thingol (presumably) wore white on the day he was to be crowned king.

24 minutes ago, mathiau said:

I think Fëanor was gen 2

Was Finwe one of the ones who awoke under the stars? If so: Feanaro-son-son-Iluvatar wore white on the day he was to swear an Oath.

... Huh. Doomed exiles, an Oath involving stones that leads to lots of murders... This sounds strangely familiar...

3 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

... Huh. Doomed exiles, an Oath involving stones that leads to lots of murders... This sounds strangely familiar...

Interestingly enough, while for Fëanor the Oath was the cause of his exile, for Szeth it was the reasult. And I believe we don't know whether or not Finwë was one of the ones awakened under the starred sky.

2 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

Interestingly enough, while for Fëanor the Oath was the cause of his exile, for Szeth it was the reasult. And I believe we don't know whether or not Finwë was one of the ones awakened under the starred sky.

Wikipedia fr says he is, Wikipedia en doesn't say anything

18 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Wikipedia fr says he is, Wikipedia en doesn't say anything

The Tolkien gateway doesn’t say either. So it’s probably not known.

24 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

The parallels are still pretty amusing though. Especially since Brandon doesn’t seem that familiar with the greater legendarium. 

1 hour ago, Trutharchivist said:

I have to agree with Kingsdaughter here over Gandalf's real name being Olorin. I believe Mithrandir is his Elvish name, and Gandalf is his human one. I think the "son-son" should stay merely for the purpose of keeping the likeness.

BTW, there must be a thread somewhere around here for legendarium fans. Where is it?

yes, it's in entertainment discussion, or Guilds whichever you want

1 hour ago, mathiau said:

I think Fëanor was gen 2

The elves had lived for a while before the Valar found them so I think gen 2 is unlikely but possible.

2 hours ago, Lesser spren said:

Knights radiant when Roshar discovers gunpowder:

Hide contents

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.db049fa3e3aa928f8f5b945f376a8561.jpg

Apparently I can’t remember how to spoiler on mobile, but let’s just say it’s been touched on in a preview of an upcoming work.

Edited by Jondesu

18 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Apparently I can’t remember how to spoiler on mobile, but let’s just say it’s been touched on in a preview of an upcoming work.

Spoiler

This was a refrence to that, but the meme stil makes sense even if a person hadn't heard of it, so I felt that it would spoil a person that didn't read the preview

On 7/4/2021 at 1:42 PM, mathiau said:

I think there was also an half-Maia half-elf somewhere that might work

Did Melian and Thingol have any children?  That would work.

Sorry for the continued hijack of the topic.  I second the question about a dedicated Legendarium thread.

27 minutes ago, Malim said:

Sorry for the continued hijack of the topic.  I second the question about a dedicated Legendarium thread.

On 7/4/2021 at 2:17 PM, Frustration said:

yes, it's in entertainment discussion, or Guilds whichever you want